Reason not to buy an AMD R9 390 over a GTX 970 at this day and age? THIS:

i_build_nanosuits

snip!

snip!

this was just to show that even within your AMD fanboy cherry picked GPU review the 780ti give a 290X/390X a good run for it's money...it really does and i could link you tens of reviews in which the 780ti did better than the 290X as well... one link 1440p benchmarks the other cherry the best game for AMD...my approach was a lot more fair looking at relative performance at 1080p since THIS is the relevant information IMHO.

You know, cause marketshare adds an FPS boost to Nvidia cards according to some people ;-;

you know what's funny? it DOES...in the long run it absolutely does.

Because game developpers optimise and improve PC games according to what sell...nvidia and gamerorks sell, so they will develop for that and will keep doing so in the future as well.

The fanboyism in this thread is too real.

I like Nvidia products, but dude, you gotta let it go.

lol, don't worry i will soon i was bored this morning and decided to open a can of worms i'm tired of pro AMD members recommending the fucking 390 over a 970 to EVERYBODY in the forum without even thinking about what will happen to these cards if AMD goes bankrupt next year and let go any driver support. that's all.

The 390 is more power hundry and there are a ton of nvidia features this card won't support and it's sad for 1080p gaming on a single card the 970 is just as good but come with more goodies...i get for SLI/CFX or high-resolution gaming the 390 has the edge but for 1080p gaming on a single card which is what MOST users looking for this card will be doing the 970 is just as good.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

this was just to show that even within your AMD fanboy cherry picked GPU review the 780ti give a 290X/390X a good run for it's money...it really does and i could link you tens of reviews in which the 780ti did better than the 290X as well... one link 1440p benchmarks the other cherry the best game for AMD...my approach was a lot more fair looking at relative performance at 1080p since THIS is the relevant information IMHO.

Because game developpers optimise and improve PC games according to what sell...nvidia and gamerorks sell, so they will develop for that and will keep doing so in the future as well.

lol, don't worry i will soon i was bored this morning and decided to open a can of worms i'm tired of pro AMD members recommending the fucking 390 over a 90 to EVERYBODY in the forum without even thinking about what will happen to these cards if AMD goes bankrupt next year and let go any driver support. that's all.

Sorry? Did you say something? I was playing Witcher 3 with ultra settings with Hairworks enabled and missed it. Could you repeat the question?

If anyone asks you never saw me.

And despite all that, a 390 still is a better choice for a majority of people than a 970 ^^ That's the entire point, even with the nvidia-optimized stuff and games, their cards are not better. And they're usually more expensive. Not even mentioning the GTX "failure" 960.

lol, don't worry i will soon i was bored this morning and decided to open a can of worms i'm tired of pro AMD members recommending the fucking 390 over a 90 to EVERYBODY in the forum without even thinking about what will happen to these cards if AMD goes bankrupt next year and let go any driver support. that's all.

If AMD goes bankrupt, another company is going to buy it. I am 100% positive on that. There are rumours about Microsoft willing to do that.

With Nvidia you do not get the best price/performance ratio right now, it's just as simple as that, you do not get the best for the money.

Ever noticed the pattern in the ongoing scrapyard wars where all of three guys only consider getting AMD cards? That's suspicious. example. R9 290, HD 6990

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

i'm tired of pro AMD members recommending the fucking 390 over a 970 to EVERYBODY in the forum without even thinking about what will happen to these cards if AMD goes bankrupt next year

There's no way AMD is going bankrupt next year. Even if they do bankrupt it will be a few years later.

If AMD goes bankrupt, another company is going to buy it. I am 100% positive on that. There are rumours about Microsoft willing to do that.

yeah...and what makes you think microsoft would care about spending money to keep support for old AMD GPU's ?!

You know, i was the proud owner of a 3dFX card when they where bought by nvidia in early 2000 and do you know what happened with driver support for these cards? NOTHING...NADA...it was as if Glide never existed...you want new drivers to get rid of all those bugs in those new games that just came out? here: bunch of user created super unstable drivers for you to mess with!...that's what happened, and that's likely what will be happening again.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Again seriously? Of the many plainly bias posts of yours I've replied to. I don't recall ever calling you a fanboy. Stop fucking around will ya? Just because I show you that the 290x isn't slower than the 780 Ti, I get called a fanboy? 

I've switched from guru3D to techpowerup since you were so displeased with Guru3D previously and you still won't stop? Why?

You even contradict your own statement with the 1080p performance chart that you singled out. Why?

That was the only BAD gameready driver nvidia released so far and they've admitted the mistake and fixed it the next week with the release of another driver that restored and improved performance for kepler GPU's in many games INCLUDING the witcher 3 and project cars...and the GTX 780ti climbed back in between the GTX 970 and 980 ...it's still faster than your 290X, faster than a 390 in most games and will give even a 390X a run for it's money especialy in nvidia optimised/sponsored titles (AKA MOST GAMES THAT HAVE COME OUT IN 2014 and 2015 BTW) which also happend to have support for some gameworks and physX based FX such as TXAA, PCSS shadows and HBAO+.

i know right but it's sad that it's not very well optimised and require a top of the line 980ti to render them...the volumetric smoke and advanced lighshafts are georgous and the papers flying everywhere at times also add a lot to the visual appeal of the game...if only it could run better.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

because I show you that the 290x isn't slower than the 780 Ti, I get called a fanboy? 

I've switched from guru3D to techpowerup since you were so displeased with Guru3D previously and you still won't stop? Why?

You even contradict your own statement with the 1080p performance chart that you singled out. Why?

sry i didnt meant to call you that directly, but the 780ti IS faster according to MOST reviews, including anandtech's testing:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1441?vs=1439

Sorry? Did you say something? I was playing Witcher 3 with ultra settings with Hairworks enabled and missed it. Could you repeat the question?

i like you :)

@i_build_nanosuits #ImAFanboyAndImProud

Also, the 780ti is pretty irrelevant since its architecture won't support DX12, pretty dumb if you ask me.

I used to be quite active here.

sry i didnt meant to call you that directly, but the 780ti IS faster according to MOST reviews, including anandtech's testing:

I'd only want to know if these results are recent. Mentioned it many times - drivers improved dramatically over the course of 2015. If they're from january or february there's no wonder it looks like that, Techpowerup's were definitely more recent as the MSI 980Ti Lightning was released fairly recently. Not mentioning the upcoming big update, which also should improve at least a little bit

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

I'd only want to know if these results are recent. Mentioned it many times - drivers improved dramatically over the course of 2015. If they're from january or february there's no wonder it looks like that, Techpowerup's were definitely more recent as the MSI 980Ti Lightning was released fairly recently.

agree, i don't know...it's obvious that AMD drivers have matured a lot lately with the avent of the R9 390/390X

you must admit the assassin's syndicate video looks dope though :) ...can't wait to see the Fallout 4 video from nvidia too!

agree, i don't know...it's obvious that AMD drivers have matured a lot lately with the avent of the R9 390/390X

you must admit the assassin's syndicate video looks dope though :)

It does lok promising... I kinda gave up on the AC series cause all of the next games after AC 1,2 and 3, were too repetitive and boring later on, played Black Flag and Unity, didn't even finish those cause they were so boring ;-;

It does lok promising... I kinda gave up on the AC series cause all of the next games after AC 1,2 and 3, were too repetitive and boring later on, played Black Flag and Unity, didn't even finish those cause they were so boring ;-;

Sailing was the best thing ever put in an AC game. But the rest of the game was a disappointment.

lol, don't worry i will soon i was bored this morning and decided to open a can of worms i'm tired of pro AMD members recommending the fucking 390 over a 970 to EVERYBODY in the forum without even thinking about what will happen to these cards if AMD goes bankrupt next year and let go any driver support. that's all.

The 390 is more power hundry and there are a ton of nvidia features this card won't support and it's sad for 1080p gaming on a single card the 970 is just as good but come with more goodies...i get for SLI/CFX or high-resolution gaming the 390 has the edge but for 1080p gaming on a single card which is what MOST users looking for this card will be doing the 970 is just as good.

Nothing wrong with recommending the 390, it has promising performance for DX12 (pre-Alpha, take it with a pinch of salt), plus it is just a better product from a performance standpoint right now.

The market changes, and the 970 isn't as much of a good buy any more, there's nothing wrong with that. Stop trying to justify your purchasing decisions by slating the purchasing decisions of others.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

Nothing wrong with recommending the 390, it has promising performance for DX12 (pre-Alpha, take it with a pinch of salt), plus it is just a better product from a performance standpoint right now.

The market changes, and the 970 isn't as much of a good buy any more, there's nothing wrong with that. Stop trying to justify your purchasing decisions by slating the purchasing decisions of others.

He owns a 780, not a 970. But with the 390 recommendation I have to agree, it's a better option, especially if you want to keep your card for a longer period of time cause it theoretically offers better longevity with its 8GB and more powerful GPU

congratulation on cherry picking THE game in which AMD did noticeably better than the others...might want to check my previous post for RELATIVE PERFORMANCE OVERALL...sir!

Also...GTX 970...1% less than 290X/390 overall at 1080p gaming...wow!

The point is, AMD is doing better than Nvidia in an Nvidia game

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

that is complete BS posting, never happened...never will... WTF?! where you kids get this idea from?! for example the GTX 780ti is still a very powerful card it's still faster than the R9 390 and in recent titles it's still almost as fast as a GTX 980...what the hell?!

Lol. There's a reason why EVGA KIngpin 780ti's have been $190 refurbished (not that they make new 780ti's anymore). The card has been gimped so much by drivers, check out GTA 5 for instance, an r9 290 beats the 780ti in basically every resolution. Same in Witcher 3 and Assassin's creed.  

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

He owns a 780, not a 970. But with the 390 recommendation I have to agree, it's a better option, especially if you want to keep your card for a longer period of time cause it theoretically offers better longevity with its 8GB and more powerful GPU

Fair enough, but this extra performance and memory has a price to pay in power consumption and lack of some features, such as Gameworks for example which can make a very nice improvement to performance and image quality in games...that was the point of this thread...not really to argue that the 970 is better than the 390, it's not...but the features it supports and drivers and software for example can be a good reason to be willing to pick a card a few percent slower but still have a better experience overall.

Also these performance metrics we've seen thus far won't factor overclocking results, which we all know favor the maxwell architecture which has a ton of overclocking headroom when compaired to GCN and an heavily overclocked 970 will fair a lot better versus the 390. ...i know not everybody take the extra step of overclocking their GPU, but they should and it's defenetly something to consider as well.

The point is, AMD is doing better than Nvidia in an Nvidia game

true, it's a game that benefit A LOT from a stronger memory configuration which the AMD card with wide 512bits memory bus certainly master.

(nice to see you join in btw, i knew you where going to post soon or later ;))

I see the mistake of looking forward on both sides in this discussion. The 8g of Vram on the 390/x means shit, utter shit. It's there to make the card look better than it is, no different than Nvidea "features". No one knows what will happen next week, let alone next year. GPU's live in the moment. And in this moment the mid range belongs to Radeon.

i like you :)

GREAT. If only you had done that earlier. I'd just like to point what Morgan said. The drivers are certainly different in the benchmark you linked. Did abit of research, and confirmed that to be true. Take a look at the BF4 results. That should already tell you the story. 

I'll link you to both the benchmarks from your beloved anandtech website. 

Here's the benchmark you linked me: 
bbNXxHG.jpg

Here's a review taken from the most recent r9 Nano from Anadtech (in order)
Spoiler
77335.png
77336.png
77337.png
77338.png

As you can see they're clearly using numbers from old drivers. Sorry to break it to you but it seems, Anandtech isn't doing a good job at updating its "database". 
You'll have to find something else. 

Edit: Mistake on my part.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

GREAT. If only you had done that earlier. I'd just like to point what Morgan said. The drivers are certainly different in the benchmark you linked. Did abit of research, and confirmed that to be true. Take a look at the BF4 results. That should already tell you the story. 

As you can see they're clearly using numbers from old drivers. Sorry to break it to you but it seems, Anandtech isn't doing a good job at updating its "database". 

You'll have to find something else.

i'm sorry but i don't understand your quest? both the GTX 780ti AND the R9 290X are NOT listed in the second series of graphs?! there is something i don't understand...everything in fact? what do you mean?

i'm sorry but i don't understand your quest? both the GTX 780ti AND the R9 290X are NOT listed in the second series of graphs?! there is something i don't understand...everything in fact? what do you mean?

That's the point. After a period of time Anadtech stopped including the 780 Ti. Don't you find that odd? 

The "290x uber" is quite clearly there. 

Edit: And I forgot this. If you still don't get my other point, the benchmarks are outdated.

That's the point. After a period of time Anadtech stopped including the 780 Ti. Don't you find that odd?

again, not sure i understand...no?! why...they just decided not to include it in the graph for this review of the nano i guess...the 290X ''Ubber'' for example was also fully tested and put to database and since it's just an heavily overclocked 290X i thought it was irrelevant to link it since there is no 780ti ''Ubber''... cause i can tell you this: give me that 780ti and i will clock it my way and make it ''ubber'' and i can guarantee you it will slap bitch the 290X ''ubber'' all over the place...

again, not sure i understand...no?! why...they just decided not to include it in the graph for this review of the nano i guess...the 290X ''Ubber'' for example was also fully tested and put to database and since it's just an heavily overclocked 290X i thought it was irrelevant to link it since there is no 780ti ''Ubber''... cause i can tell you this: give me that 780ti and i will clock it my way and make it ''ubber'' and i can guarantee you it will slap bitch the 290X ''ubber'' all over the place...

No Uber is just the Uber mode for the reference 290x. A heavily overclock 290x will perform much better than a "uber" 290x. I thought peeps already knew what uber mode was? 

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/10/23/amd_radeon_r9_290x_video_card_review/2#.VkDE37crKUk

The "290x uber" is quite clearly there. 

Edit: And I forgot this. If you still don't get my other point, the benchmarks are outdated.

They don't include the 390 ether, probably because the 390 would score so close to the 390x.