Reason not to buy an AMD R9 390 over a GTX 970 at this day and age? THIS:

i_build_nanosuits

Not TXAA but i can use HBAO+ in Unity and PCSS in Unity and GTA5 not to mention Hairworks in Witcher 3.

You forgot each of those effects need to be feed to the GPU by the CPU, hence the bottleneck.

you are confusing HBAO+ and HDAO+ which is AMD's ambient occlusion technique which is FAR more taxing on the GPU and does not produce nearly as good results. Hairworks do run on both cards though and some other special effects can also be run, but it will run like crap and wont look nearly as good...in other terms: you just CAN'T max out the game with AMD GPU and you can't really see the game as it was meant to be seen in the eyes of the game developpers...pretty big bummer if you want my opinion on it but it is what it is.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

you are confusing HBAO+ and HDAO+ which is AMD's ambient occlusion technique which is FAR more taxing on the GPU and does not produce nearly as good results. Hairworks do run on both cards though and some other special effects can also be run, but it will run like crap and wont look nearly as good...in other terms: you just CAN'T max out the game with AMD GPU and you can't really see the game as it was meant to be seen in the eyes of the game developpers...pretty big bummer if you want my opinion on it but it is what it is.

Not true. That's like saying someone with an Xbox can't beat a game because of an exclusive mission in the PS4 version. A Radeon equipped PC can max out it's version of the game depending on it's stats.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

That's not true at all. I don't know where you heard that, but that's not true.

You're right, I think i should mention Physx instead of Gameworks.

I play a lot of gameworks games, you can't use all of the features, it just kicks you to a lower setting if you try. And the beta driver has a Fallout 4 crossfire folder, so hope is alive. Wish someone who has the game would confirm though. Waiting is hard.

You can't use any Gameworks effect that need CUDA acceleration with AMD GPU like Advanced PhysX in Borderland 2 or driver exclusive feature like TXAA or MFAA. I can't remember what else though.

HBAO+. What you mean not nearly as good? Post some screenshot and we compare?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

You're right, I think i should mention Physx instead of Gameworks.

PhysX still doesn't run on the CPU unless you force it to.

The PhysX collision stuff that's in game engines is what runs on the CPU and it's not a heavy load at all, and you can't turn it off. The PhysX effects that you see in games is what runs on the GPU.

Not true. That's like saying someone with an Xbox can't beat a game because of an exclusive mission in the PS4 version. A Radeon equipped PC can max out it's version of the game depending on it's stats.

that's my point, it can max out ''it's version'' of the game...not including all the stuff that it can't render AKA maximum settings including all the shit and giggles you can possibly turn on to get the most eyecandy and best experience possible :)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

that's my point, it can max out ''it's version'' of the game...not including all the stuff that it can't render AKA maximum settings including all the shit and giggles you can possibly turn on to get the most eyecandy and best experience possible :)

Come spend some time with me in Vegas my friend, lights and glimmer are not always the best possible experience. It's easier for me to see the difference between the two versions of the game because I'm fresh from console peasant status. It's a logical fallacy to say the Radeon equipped PC cannot max out something it is not allowed to use.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

The fact that you don't know that many game works features run just fine on AMD, and even better with a bit of tweaking(turn down tessellation for hair works), just proves that your opinion on AMD cards really isn't valid. Many game works features are intended to slow down GPUs with inefficient code and Nvidia doesn't share their code, not AMD's. 

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

You do know that in far cry 4 benchmarks when the 390x beats the 980, it's using ultra settings which has all the game works features INCLUDING HBAO+. Please do research before you intend to argue against AMD. Not being a fanboy, but both sides deserved to be represented accurately and you don't know too much about AMD cards and features.

You do know that in far cry 4 benchmarks when the 390x beats the 980, it's using ultra settings which has all the game works features INCLUDING HBAO+. Please do research before you intend to argue against AMD. Not being a fanboy, but both sides deserved to be represented accurately and you don't know too much about AMD cards and features.

last AMD card i had was the HD7950 this was before the advent of Gameworks in games and it was also the same time physX was introduced for the first time and i don't really like or care about AMD peronally and what their gpu can and cannot render to be honest i don't give a shit, i just know they can't render many of this stuff and when they can they bug down to a crawl so yeah there is not much more than that to be said to be honest.

last AMD card i had was the HD7950 this was before the advent of Gameworks in games and it was also the same time physX was introduced for the first time and i don't really like or care about AMD peronally and what their gpu can and cannot render to be honest i don't give a shit, i just know they can't render many of this stuff and when they can they bug down to a crawl so yeah there is not much more than that to be said to be honest.

Yeah. Everything you just said is incoherent. And btw physx was introduced WAY before 2012 when the 7950 was released.

GAMEWORKS

Set back and enjoy the film in HD

Let's be honest it's probably going to be an un-optimized piece of steaming poo, because GameWorks and Ubisoft.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

AMD GPU CAN run Gameworks features since most, if not all of the effects running on the CPU and that's the reason AMD got bottlenecked hard on CPU overhead side in most Gameworks games. 

There's no option to totally disable Gameworks features in F4 unless you edit the config file.

Don't get you hopes up. :P

Just out of curiosity, what temperatures does your card have under full load and after OC? (mention the OC if you tried it), thanks in advance ^^

--------------

As for the cards performance, @i_build_nanosuits

So I found the performance difference between nearly all the cards we talkeg about after benchmarking them with the latest drivers from AMD, and comparing to the old drivers, look at it (there are only 4k and 1440p options, sadly no 1080p, but still the results are very close to a 1080p settings most likely):

Interesting where your 780 ranks, Kepler seems to not be supported that great since it should still be a beast of a card, not losing to a R9 290 one ;-; Which actually went even with a GTX 970, the 290X is only 4% slower than a 980 over here and the 390X beat it by 2%. Fury X also went even with a reference 980Ti which is interesting.

At 4K a R9 290 even beat a 780Ti which also tells you something ;-; With all that in mind, let's wait for the AMD Catalyst Crimson edition, cause if it's going to bring even more performance improvements, then AMD might still be in the game when it comes to GPUs imo, and that's good. Nvidia needs competition cause they got a little lazy/greedy imo.

source: http://wccftech.com/amd-r9-fury-x-performance-ahead-nvidia-980-ti-latest-drivers/

perfrel_2560_1440.png

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

snip!

''Let’s look at how drastically the numbers changed thanks to this move to the latest Windows 10 drivers''

^^there is your answer, windows 10 is buggy as hell and games run like crap on it and it looks like nvidia drivers are not very good under windows 10...fun fact: i use windows 8.1 :D ...nvidia will fix that shit soon enough though, enjoy it while it last and make sure you bookmark this page... :huh:

Good for AMD if they stay in the race though, i too think nvidia can use a good kick in the nuts and have it's hand forced to reduce pricing because holy shnit man i'm in the market for a 980ti right now...a barely used MSI gaming 6G...how much you think? ....840$CAN freaking lots of dough my man :( ...i'm considering waiting for the next gen cards i fear the 70% increase in performance the 980ti would give me will seem small in a year or two...it's a big investment and i fear i might regret not waiting longer... :wacko:

''Let’s look at how drastically the numbers changed thanks to this move to the latest Windows 10 drivers''

^^there is your answer, windows 10 is buggy as hell and games run like crap on it and it looks like nvidia drivers are not very good under windows 10...fun fact: i use windows 8.1 :D ...nvidia will fix that shit soon enough though, enjoy it while it last and make sure you bookmark this page... :huh:

Good for AMD if they stay in the race though, i too think nvidia can use a good kick in the nuts and have it's hand forced to reduce pricing because holy shnit man i'm in the market for a 980ti right now...a barely used MSI gaming 6G...how much you think? ....840$CAN freaking lots of dough my man :( ...i'm considering waiting for the next gen cards i fear the 70% increase in performance the 980ti would give me will seem small in a year or two...it's a big investment and i fear i might regret not waiting longer... :wacko:

Wasn't Windows 10 just a remake of Windows 8.1? Overall performance in gaming should be around the same, unless you're correct and there really are some heavy bugs on w10 ;-;

I really hope 980Ti won't be this much worse from its next gen version, as the 780Ti is from the 980Ti cause it's a great card

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

IMHO it looks like a FABULOUS game and i will CERTAINLY play it from the begining to the end and enjoy every minutes of it!

and ALSO, those features mentionned in the video that you've probably not even took the time to watch...are being used in MANY other current AAA titles and will be even more widely spread in FUTURE AAA titles...so NO, not just assassin's creed.

sooo much this...this is the video i should have linked to answer @afyeung and @Castdeath97 and @Coaxialgamer !

thanks for posting this!

Nvidia damage control from the local nvidia fanboy. Woo!!!

So much ignorance in one post.

PhysX still doesn't run on the CPU unless you force it to.

The PhysX collision stuff that's in game engines is what runs on the CPU and it's not a heavy load at all, and you can't turn it off. The PhysX effects that you see in games is what runs on the GPU.

Fair enough, i only play pCars and Witcher 3 this year and both is using CPU only Physx. Didn't notice there's 3 more games released this year that support GPU Physx. lel

Just out of curiosity, what temperatures does your card have under full load and after OC? (mention the OC if you tried it), thanks in advance ^^

In what game/program?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

In what game/program?

I don't know, The Witcher 3 after at least 20 minutes of playing? At stock settings and after an OC? My card OC's to 1150/1450 @+44mV, but its temperatures are weird.

I don't know, The Witcher 3 after at least 20 minutes of playing? At stock settings and after an OC? My card OC's to 1150/1450 @+44mV, but its temperatures are weird.

How weird? 

73c - 1040/1250@-56mV

84c - 1150/1450@+62mV

31c ambient temperature and custom fan curve.

How weird? 

73c - 1040/1250@-56mV

84c - 1150/1450@+62mV

31c ambient temperature and custom fan curve.

See, I have a very big Full Tower case, 5 120mm fans installed and my card goes up to 90 degrees, it idles around 45. Overclocking doesn't really change much, no OC it hits 89 degrees, with the OC it hits 91 degrees (fans @100%). People have told me to RMA it cause it's not normal, but I'm still not 100% certain, I noticed you've got the exact same card so I decided to ask you, thanks for the response, I appreciate it ;)

Even with an open case it got to 88 degrees during Valley, so it's definitely not the airflow in the case that's causing it ;-; The store already accepted my RMA once but I didn't send the card, I can write another ticket, and they should accept as well

snip!

According to this review your card has a good cooler and should be running at around 75c

i would just take the cooler off and replace the thermal paste make sure it make good contact with the chip?

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-radeon-r9-290x-gaming-oc-review,10.html

Capture.png

According to this review your card has a good cooler and should be running at around 75c

i would just take the cooler off and replace the thermal paste make sure it make good contact with the chip?

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-radeon-r9-290x-gaming-oc-review,10.html

I know that, even if the temperatures or the fan noise don't bother me at all, I just found it weird so decided to research a little

I thought that since I still have over 2 years of warranty left, I'd first RMA it and if they refuse or that doesn't help, I'd reapply thermal grease myself... Cause you know, in Poland the customer support might tell me that it's my fault it runs that hot cause I dissassembled it and reapplied thermal paste ;-;

Some cards just have a really hot core too.

My windforce card instantly went into the high 80's temps and leveled out around 95*c also.

No matter the paste attempts.

Was sooooo hot still.

Threw a 47mm thick 120mm rad + fan on there for a 75-80*c max on water. The only way i knew of to keep it under 90*c.

Since replaced. Too much heat for my small room to handle.

Insert non-funny typical Amd heater joke here...

I love their brute force.

Tis why I had one. Hd7950>290.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I know that, even if the temperatures or the fan noise don't bother me at all, I just found it weird so decided to research a little

i wonder how long can a gpu sustain a 90c before it start degrading and falling appart...that would seriously concern me...

i wonder how long can a gpu sustain a 90c before it start degrading and falling appart...that would seriously concern me...

Hmm, I assumed that since reference 290X's can run at 94 degrees and supposedly that's safe for them, apparently for those cards these aren't really temperatures too dangerous