New 3D Lithium batteries to be supposedly commercialized in 2018.

Source: http://www.prietobattery.com/

Prieto Battery has partnered with Intel for a potential production goal in 2018.

This could result into faster battery charge and longer life (charge + global life).

I'll let you check the website as they explain everything pretty well there.

how_they_work.jpg

Cheers!

(sorry for potential grammar mistakes, English is not my primmary language :P )

Sounds great, I hope this will actually get some sure footing and spread out. Not certain about the 3x and 5x things, what they would translate to in non-theoretical scenarios, but an actual improvement in charge speed, density and such is fantastic. SO many things can benefit from this. 

EDIT: also, Intel backing this is HUGE. It's ACTUALLY gonna happen, with a serious backer like Intel. 

Edited by Lauen

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

Meh... I'm with Glass on this, we've heard so much sh*t about new battery tech, yet we never hear about it again... I'll believe it when I see it.

Will believe it once it's in my hands.

There's been many new battery tech popping up in the last 5+ years and none of them ever came to be anything.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Considering that Intel thought it was good enough to partner up, they must have seen something in it! Hopefully now i'll be able to get 3x the battery life on my smartphone.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

I don't really see this happening... Battery makers would loose much money for making less & less batteries because the new ones would last much longer & there would be no use then for the old ones

I don't really see this happening... Battery makers would loose much money for making less & less batteries because the new ones would last much longer & there would be no use then for the old ones

average consumers will find some ways to ruin their batteries much earlier than their life spans

and non-removable battery on device is norm nowadays. These devices will die somehow around their warranty expires anyway

I personally hate batteries with their many inconveniences. You have to worry about charging them, their battery level, wearing over time....and potential risk of explosion under improper use and conditions. Improvements like those would be good, but still want some kind of alien tech that batteries run forever

Please let there be new type of battery soon that can last at least couple of times more...
Good new though, if we get it in our hands soon and it's proven to last.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

We need battery technology to progress. Our society is becoming more and more reliant on them. With Intel backing, it will happen. Hopefully this benefits electric cars as well.

We need battery technology to progress. Our society is becoming more and more reliant on them. With Intel backing, it will happen. Hopefully this benefits electric cars as well.

exactly what I thought. Electric cars. 5x more power density? That brings a model S to ~1500 miles on a single charge... (which means I would consider it as a car!)

The problem with these will be the time required to charge them.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

exactly what I thought. Electric cars. 5x more power density? That brings a model S to ~1500 miles on a single charge... (which means I would consider it as a car!)

when it comes to electrical cars, power/size is not the only thing that matters, power/weight matter to.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Considering that Intel thought it was good enough to partner up, they must have seen something in it! Hopefully now i'll be able to get 3x the battery life on my smartphone.

No, they will make the battery 3x smaller. Who needs battery life when you could make it dysfunctionally slim?

Will believe it once it's in my hands.

There's been many new battery tech popping up in the last 5+ years and none of them ever came to be anything.

Were any of those financially backed by Intel?

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

So does this mean phone batteries will improve, or like every time before does it mean the phones will get smaller, which no one is asking for.  :P

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

next years 500 Mile range bump, is already more then enough lol.

Were any of those financially backed by Intel?

Not because it's backed by intel, that it will actually be released.

They could just be financing the R&D and that is it, surely it wouldn't be the first time Intel pour money into something they end up never releasing.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Not because it's backed by intel, that it will actually be released.

They could just be financing the R&D and that is it, surely it wouldn't be the first time Intel pour money into something they end up never releasing.

Actually it would be. And before you bring up Larrabee, it was released as the Knight's Ferry Xeon Phi, just not in the original target market :P

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

next years 500 Mile range bump, is already more then enough lol.

Not for me. 1000 miles is enough. If I ever go on a road trip it's close to 1000 usually. I live in an awkward place though, like nothing here lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Not for me. 1000 miles is enough. If I ever go on a road trip it's close to 1000 usually. I live in an awkward place though, like nothing here lol

how often does that happen xD