Tech Savvy Fakers

Philcat101

I don't mind ignorance, but I do mind deception.

There's a guy at a store around here that sells networking equipment. Whenever someone comes in to buy a wifi router he convinces them to buy something overly expensive that does way more than what they need since he works on commission.

Lieing because you're too ignorant to research something is meh, lieing to people to get something more than what they need so you can make a bigger buck is no bueno.

Do you know anyone who thinks they know lots about tech but really don't? Post your experience(s) below.

Here are mine:

I lots of people at school who think RAM is the only valuable performance metric.

There is one who is an AMD fanboy and says that they are better in every way, even single threaded performance and thermal output.

So many apple fanboys think Apple is the best. IMO Apple is good for people who don't want to do the research, but it is not the best. So many people say it is. IT IS NOT OH MY GAWSH

I look forward to hearing your experience(s)!

Everything is better in some ways, depending on your usage case. Apple is better in some aspects and worse in others, it just is that what is important to that person varies. Personally, I think Iphone 6 plus is the best overall phone this year, bar none; however I think surface pro is the best tablet overall. If I was just reading and youtubing, ipad wins because of footprint.

I know someone who got their friend to get skylake at release so they could have faster ram!

I told him that will not improve performance in games, but he said no, and continued talking to his friend about why fast ram is better!

Fast ram is better for integrated graphics tho.

Fast ram is better for integrated graphics tho.

True, but they defiantly had a dedicated GPU

Almost every customer I ever served who came in to buy a computer at PC World None of them knew anything, normally they would be like "ooh this PC must be faster it has 500gb of storage, and that one only has 1tb whatever that is" erm what? please leave the shop, you shouldn't even own a computer

I have literally had customers argue with me that the laptop with a Pentium with 16gb of ram is faster than the i7 model with 8gb and an SSD

They are just like "that one has 16gb of ram though"... ..

please, dont buy a computer

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Almost every customer I ever served who came in to buy a computer at PC World None of them knew anything, normally they would be like "ooh this PC must be faster it has 500gb of storage, and that one only has 1tb whatever that is" erm what? please leave the shop, you shouldn't even own a computer

I have literally had customers argue with me that the laptop with a Pentium with 16gb of ram is faster than the i7 model with 8gb and an SSD

They are just like "that one has 16gb of ram though"... ..

please, dont buy a computer

I thought like that when I was 7.

At 12 I thought it was all about the Ram

At 13 I thought it was all about the CPU and only i7's were good.

At 16 I lough at how stupid I was, Now it know it is all about the fans! (KeK)

Why? You said AMD run hot, I tell you my 4170 isn't running hot.

I was joking.

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon

My "buddy" still thinks and insists he knows more about pc's than i do. Everytime he comes over I've got to identify my components like he's 7 (literally my gf can id more components than him). He'll point at the gpu and be like "is that the ram?" so I'll explain the basics and he still has NO idea what anything is, despite "planning" on building a pc asap and REFUSING to take ANY advice on picking parts.

I gave him my old cut up case and some total garbage stock case fans for free and he's like "your going to be calling me, wondering how i did it... You'll be wanting this stuff back, my computer will smash yours and be so much cooler!" bitch please... I've got a 980/4790K with custom loop and you work at a carwash lol. He'll Probably get a fx cpu and think he's something haha.

Oh and i showed him my uni vga block i just replaced with a full cover aquacomputer block and he asked to buy it. "Its a water cooling component" says me. "I know what it is" he says arrogantly "I'll buy it for cooling". "Are you sure? Cause it's just a block, you'll need a pump, res, rad, tubing, fittings" i said. To which he replies "Ill just use it by its self dude" OMFG get out of my house and stop belittling my pc knowledge I've spent countless hours on you dick!!

And so much more! Why i even talk to this person, i have no idea....

Thanks for making this thread, i feel a bit better now, till he comes over again

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

I have one terabyte of RAM!

www.downloadmoreram.com  /s ?

i got a friend he smokes all day long, pc side is taken off for less heat, his tabac+dust all over the place...

told him that the pc would get heat problems if that continues.

he didnt want to clean it with canned air( like linus did in his rugged video )told him not to vacuum(static kills chips) and then he vacuumed his mobo to death :D and said its my fault

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

Even if what they said was true, it would still be using an HDMI source! I swear, school IT departments are run by skrubs.

Excuse me....

Most of them are... Not all

(I am the IT Dept in four school districts)

"VGA is more diverse and more better image quality and just has more compatibility. It is using analog so you know it isnt compressed like thoes photoes you use that are compressed. This is why our school uses HDMI-VGA adapters to get better image quality." - School IT, 2015

I died on the inside a little.

"VGA is more diverse and more better image quality and just has more compatibility. It is using analog so you know it isnt compressed like thoes photoes you use that are compressed. This is why our school uses HDMI-VGA adapters to get better image quality." - School IT, 2015

Oh the cringe...

Welcome to LTT! Feel free to PM me if you just wanna chat, I love conversation!

If you ever have any audio questions, wether it's software, hardware, or production and theory, feel free to ask me. Odds are I can help you, or get you help. 

Excuse me....

Most of them are... Not all

(I am the IT Dept in four school districts)

Its good to see that some school districts hired good people. Our high school (of nearly 1000 students) doesn't even have fiber, because they believe that copper is better than fiber. Oh the cringe

Welcome to LTT! Feel free to PM me if you just wanna chat, I love conversation!

If you ever have any audio questions, wether it's software, hardware, or production and theory, feel free to ask me. Odds are I can help you, or get you help. 

Even if what they said was true, it would still be using an HDMI source! I swear, school IT departments are run by skrubs.

Yep, I know I am replying to a 12 hour old post, but my school IT people though that a power button on a monitor that had a mechanical fault (Clearly visible) was a software problem... Goddammit. Also, on the note of tech support, tech support fits the description here perfectly.

Microsoft: 10 mins to answer a question (That's 10 minutes of actual conversation)

Acer: A guy telling me that corrupted driver files was a hardware issue and not providing me with the drivers...

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

Its good to see that some school districts hired good people. Our high school (of nearly 1000 students) doesn't even have fiber, because they believe that copper is better than fiber. Oh the cringe

post-217715-0-32553500-1446741991.jpeg

Kids who are AMD fanboys exist?

But seriously, I have a friend who thinks Nvidia is better in every way. Yes, the can be but six times out of ten it's not worth it...

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

i educated a computer salesmen who thought that 1299.99 for an i5, 8gbs of ram, and a gt740 was a steal.

lets just say he also said that AMD has never had a single competitive gpu against novidia.

these are the "tech savvy" fresh blood we get every couple months in our department.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

i educated a computer salesmen who thought that 1299.99 for an i5, 8gbs of ram, and a gt740 was a steal.

10/10 would steal again

Key Switches Guide | LLT Beginner Guide | GPU TDP & Power Consumption Explained | PSU Tier

s a d b o y s 2 0 0 1

9,001 Chrome tabs.

thats OVER 9000 chrome tabs though.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case