Tech Savvy Fakers

Philcat101

People who think more cores is always better. Especially in phones.

Oh god... This was me just last year. I was on a tour of the Vo-Tech school I go to, and when I was in the Cisco Academy room, they said something about cores and clock speeds on a system they built, and I said "but my phone (Droid Turbo) has 4 cores at 2.6GHz" or some dumb shit like that.... I'm so glad I didn't take that class. I don't think I could look them in the eyes anymore

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

Nah, its all about how much spare room you have in your case! I threw out my mobo, gpu, cpu and hard drive's, now i get all the FPS!

Wrong it's all about the LEDs and how sick your case looks.

Hello fellow night theme users

My dad. He wants to double his PC's ram to 16gb when it has no dedicated gpu and i5-2400

depends what you're doing.  I use a certain application that is extremely CPU intensive, and can also be extremely RAM hungry depending on the settings, but honestly couldn't care less what the rest of your system looked like :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

depends what you're doing.  I use a certain application that is extremely CPU intensive, and can also be extremely RAM hungry depending on the settings, but honestly couldn't care less what the rest of your system looked like :)

He runs huge excel shitloads of calculations for work - CPU obviously, but he thinks he can just double the ram and everything will be butter smooth. currently he almost crashes windows with his work.

EDIT: well, ok that's RAM too. but I checked his RAM usage while he was running something and it was at half.

He runs huge excel shitloads of calculations for work - CPU obviously, but he thinks he can just double the ram and everything will be butter smooth. currently he almost crashes windows with his work.

EDIT: well, ok that's RAM too. but I checked his RAM usage while he was running something and it was at half.

Try telling him to use less data :D lmao

Seriously, that's a real error Excel will give you sometimes.

3073400.jpg

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

"iPads are the best tablets for University students"... They're just not. I have one. An iPad Mini. If I have to upload a file to OneDrive or Email it to myself just to open it on my tablet, that's just ridiculous. And I can't upload any comments I've made to a PDF except by emailing it to myself again. 

Oh and the iPad Pro isn't going to be for "Pros" if this isn't addressed soon. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Yeap.

People who think that one particular system is the absolute best or worst without understanding or even pretending to understand the context of the user base. Examples:

1. PC gamers who claim to be the "master race".
  2. Console gamers who claim to be "purists".
  3. Android users who claim Apple users are "Sheeple".
  4. etc.

They also conclude by proclaiming moral/intellectual superiority on the decontextualised premises that they have constructed.

OH I've got another good one for you guys. pulling up something from pretty early on in my tech savvy'ness myself.

Where I had once worked, as an intern helping a server administrator on site at a local company; we had basically two heads of the IT department, or two of these supposedly very knowledgeable people who oversaw the server hardware and software, so that everything stayed up and healthy. One of these guys [name redacted #1] was a superb coder, and basically could diagnose and solve problems as they came up w/o issue at all, this guy was the real deal, had a masters in computer software, and had created half the software backbone that their servers ran on. The other guy, [Name redacted #2] was let's just say... Obviously NOT IT what so ever... We're talking like everyone else thought he was just about as skilled as [Name redacted #1], even while I was working there, he never came even close.

One day I came in to take notes on how [name redacted #1] re-configures the networking in the office, because [name redacted #2] had gone in the previous day and "streamlined" the network connections to make everyone connect faster. (1/2 the people in the office now couldn't connect to shit)

I got there and [name redacted #2] was the only one there, turns out [name redacted #1] was sick or something, I've forgotten by now. So I watched as [name redacted #2] attempted to fix the networking problems he had caused. His first attempt? He logged into google and googled some shit about not being able to connect to internet on LAN setup. (Not... REALLY wrong, but you should at least do some trouble shooting first to narrow down your problems)

He then proceeded to have me go down to his car to get his keys to open the racks, because he had left them down there. Annoyed I went pretty fast and came back sooner than I think he wanted me to, because his keys weren't down there. I saw then he was just pulling out ethernet cables and stuffing them into random ports as fast as he could hoping something would change. When he saw me come in he started to panic, said something about me startling him and causing him to lose his train of thought. He then sat down at the console again, opened up cmd and began typing in either "dir" or something really fast to make it look like he was doing something techy. After a couple minutes of that shit he began trying to activate any unactivated partition in "diskpart" which even I know was surely not the problem.

This went on all day; the company didn't get its networking fixed for a couple of days, until [name redacted #1] got back from being sick, or family things, I don't remember. 

rofl i think probably the best thing i can remember about anyone whos supposed to be techy, but really just isnt at all.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

OH I've got another good one for you guys. pulling up something from pretty early on in my tech savvy'ness myself.

Where I had once worked, as an intern helping a server administrator on site at a local company; we had basically two heads of the IT department, or two of these supposedly very knowledgeable people who oversaw the server hardware and software, so that everything stayed up and healthy. One of these guys [name redacted #1] was a superb coder, and basically could diagnose and solve problems as they came up w/o issue at all, this guy was the real deal, had a masters in computer software, and had created half the software backbone that their servers ran on. The other guy, [Name redacted #2] was let's just say... Obviously NOT IT what so ever... We're talking like everyone else thought he was just about as skilled as [Name redacted #1], even while I was working there, he never came even close.

One day I came in to take notes on how [name redacted #1] re-configures the networking in the office, because [name redacted #2] had gone in the previous day and "streamlined" the network connections to make everyone connect faster. (1/2 the people in the office now couldn't connect to shit)

I got there and [name redacted #2] was the only one there, turns out [name redacted #1] was sick or something, I've forgotten by now. So I watched as [name redacted #2] attempted to fix the networking problems he had caused. His first attempt? He logged into google and googled some shit about not being able to connect to internet on LAN setup. (Not... REALLY wrong, but you should at least do some trouble shooting first to narrow down your problems)

He then proceeded to have me go down to his car to get his keys to open the racks, because he had left them down there. Annoyed I went pretty fast and came back sooner than I think he wanted me to, because his keys weren't down there. I saw then he was just pulling out ethernet cables and stuffing them into random ports as fast as he could hoping something would change. When he saw me come in he started to panic, said something about me startling him and causing him to lose his train of thought. He then sat down at the console again, opened up cmd and began typing in either "dir" or something really fast to make it look like he was doing something techy. After a couple minutes of that shit he began trying to activate any unactivated partition in "diskpart" which even I know was surely not the problem.

This went on all day; the company didn't get its networking fixed for a couple of days, until [name redacted #1] got back from being sick, or family things, I don't remember. 

rofl i think probably the best thing i can remember about anyone whos supposed to be techy, but really just isnt at all.

That's horrific... the cringe made me cry

"VGA is more diverse and more better image quality and just has more compatibility. It is using analog so you know it isnt compressed like thoes photoes you use that are compressed. This is why our school uses HDMI-VGA adapters to get better image quality." - School IT, 2015

HDMI-VGA adapters for better image quality?

kRrkfUU.gif

Also, this describes most of those people.

GaoPpvb.png

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

I think we need to take a moment to realize that part of this thread is about guns and the other half about people we can't stand. :D 

01101100 01110110 01101100 00100000 00110101 00100000 01101101 01100001 01100111 01101001 01101011 01100001 01110010 01110000 

I think we need to take a moment to realize that part of this thread is about guns and the other half about people we can't stand. :D

Pardon my ignorance.... but GUNS?! Where are guns mentioned??

"VGA is more diverse and more better image quality and just has more compatibility. It is using analog so you know it isnt compressed like thoes photoes you use that are compressed. This is why our school uses HDMI-VGA adapters to get better image quality." - School IT, 2015

Wooooooow. That is truely sad.

I will, however, give my input on the uses of VGA.

As a person who likes ressurecting old PCs with my lovely Debian, having a VGA KVM switch around is dearly helpful.

Not saying that I would try and defend that moron you quoted though. xD

TheRedDragon    |i7-5820k (4.2Ghz) || MSI X99S SLI Plus || Crucial 2x8gb 2133hmz DDR4 || MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti 6Gb || Sandisk 128Gb SSD || Seagate Barracuda 3Tb |EVGA 1000W 80+ Pltnm ||  

dossium.net >

Posts that won the internet - Verticle Mice 

Wooooooow. That is truely sad.

I will, however, give my input on the uses of VGA.

As a person who likes ressurecting old PCs with my lovely Debian, having a VGA KVM switch around is dearly helpful.

Not saying that I would try and defend that moron you quoted though. xD

Yeah, that's like saying you use MP3 to vinyl converters for the best sound  :lol:

Mhh, I'm going to be running a few VMs on this machine, but even if I wasn't I'd get an unsensible amount just because I can.

If you're out of RAM and swapping to a HDD then adding more RAM will actually make your computer faster :)

Thank you, thank you, thank you. You win the thread!

TheRedDragon    |i7-5820k (4.2Ghz) || MSI X99S SLI Plus || Crucial 2x8gb 2133hmz DDR4 || MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti 6Gb || Sandisk 128Gb SSD || Seagate Barracuda 3Tb |EVGA 1000W 80+ Pltnm ||  

dossium.net >

LMAO

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Yeah, that's like saying you use MP3 to vinyl converters for the best sound  :lol:

"Hey Mom, don't use that drier for the laundry, you should tack them to the back of the car the next time you go to town!"

dossium.net >

Nah, it's all in the optical drive didn't you know? The more expensive the optical drive is the more FPS's!

got to have most rpms, we all know that rpms = hp and hp means fast lol.

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

got to have most rpms, we all know that rpms = hp and hp means fast lol.

This is why floppy went out, it just didn't rpm good enough to add that frames multiplier that is so drastically difficult to obtain in order to play AAA titles!  :lol:

dossium.net >

This is why floppy went out, it just didn't rpm good enough to add that frames multiplier that is so drastically difficult to obtain in order to play AAA titles!  :lol:

But they're flexible, allowing them to adapt more easily to different demands, that's how they get the best speed :D

But they're flexible, allowing them to adapt more easily to different demands, that's how they get the best speed :D

True, true. But personally I prefer using USB Flash drives to up my framerates. When you format them with a fragmented jpeg, you really start seeing the performance double or even triple!  ;)

dossium.net >

True, true. But personally I prefer using USB Flash drives to up my framerates. When you format them with a fragmented jpeg, you really start seeing the performance double or even triple!  ;)

oh god we're just spouting complete nonsense now :P

oh god we're just spouting complete nonsense now :P

No no no, this is valuable information for the masses! =O Such a doubter!

dossium.net >