[not confirmed] PlayStation VR uses external processing unit?!

zMeul

IDeGhut.png
tDO5Tqz.png
---

there's nothing concrete what's inside it, but SONY calls it the "Processing Unit"

is it a good thing, or a bad thing? I'd say it's a good thing since it can be "upgraded" (to be read as swapped for a newer one)
could it be used to boost PS4 performance for not VR? quite possibly

LOL I wonder how this will work, because as far as I can recall the PS4 doesn't have a high bandwidth connector on it, something that would be needed for extra processing.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

LOL I wonder how this will work, because as far as I can recall the PS4 doesn't have a high bandwidth connector on it, something that would be needed for extra processing.

honestly, I don't know

a combination of the HDMI port, LAN port and all USB ports?!  :lol:

unless the PU is it's own thing and only shares data with the PS4 - meaning the game would run on the PU, not on the PS4

Only way they could do VR I think. I mean, no PC master race bullshit here but, if a PS4 can't run some games at 60 FPS it sure wont be able to run them in VR..

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

Wouldnt suprise me if it had extra processing power in there

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

thats pretty clever because i was wondering how they were going to power a high refresh rate to get that vr tech to work. 

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

@zMeul

yes there is a unit inside. most likely to offload the processing of the motion sensors. As PS uses Bluetooth and if you tried to spam BT with a gazilllion head movements a second, then it would simply clog up the bandwidth of its BT networking.

My guess is taht the APU will render the images, then send it to the VR headset. the VR headset features a small frame buffer able to hold a few frames ahead of time (expect a fixed frame buffer for any VR solution to avoid motion sickness).

This would allow a low powered ARM processor to be able to "move the picture" around accordingly during gaming as it would only have to deal with XYZ coordinates matching XYZ on the image..

honestly, I don't know

a combination of the HDMI port, LAN port and all USB ports?!  :lol:

unless the PU is it's own thing and only shares data with the PS4 - meaning the game would run on the PU, not on the PS4

That would be stupidly funny... Although it could tie in with sony thinking about a more powerfull PS4.2, perhaps one capable of interfacing with the PU....

Honestly I think it is a bit off a mess and am curious to see what they end up with. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

I don't think it will allow for swappable hardware, since that is the entire idea of console anyway. The unit would most likely be integrated. I'm still not too keen for Playstation VR, since it sorta sounds like it would only be use on a Playstation console. I don't think it can help the performance for PS4 outside of VR, since the PS4 only has one HDMI out port.

PS4 has an extra special connector currently used for the camera. I don't remember if it was based off of USB2.1 or USB 3, but I imagine that it could be repurposed for sending additional signals to a separate processing unit. 

Or just use gigabit lan to interface with the unit, since the PS4 does have an gigabit lan port. Would be more than enough bandwidth to push data to an external processing unit.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Wouldnt suprise me if it had extra processing power in there

Well the processing would weight more on the GPU site no?

Imagine an external GPU connected to the PS4, but I don't know if the PS4 has any way to connect to a external GPU with enough bandwidth.

Well the processing would weight more on the GPU site no?

Imagine an external GPU connected to the PS4, but I don't know if the PS4 has any way to connect to a external GPU with enough bandwidth.

Gigabit LAN. There are protocols for encapsulating PCIe data over Ethernet.

EDIT: Yes, there'll still be a bottleneck, but if done right, I can see it happening.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

PS4 has an extra special connector currently used for the camera. I don't remember if it was based off of USB2.1 or USB 3, but I imagine that it could be repurposed for sending additional signals to a separate processing unit. 

Or just use gigabit lan to interface with the unit, since the PS4 does have an gigabit lan port. Would be more than enough bandwidth to push data to an external processing unit.

I'd assume it would be running off of a USB 3.0 bus, if possible. Unless they can somehow jack into the internal PCIe lanes. That would be optimal. LAN, and even maybe USB 3.0, very well might be too slow for a co-processor. Low latency is probably more important then pure bandwidth though, as many of the shared data might actually be fairly small.

It's hard to say exactly how it will work, as there are many different ways to do it - some more realistic/effective then others.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

wot r u torking aboot, psfor kan run gemez 60fps 8k, it hav no problam runing vr, itz onli a litle scren shoodnt it b ezer 4 de psfor 2 run

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

They would need a 980Ti if they intend to run games at 90Hz across two screens, even if they were only 1080p each. Should be interestng to see what they do.

And to think that I've got a laptop (its dead now, but still) that's actually got a fast enough connector due to its docking port (it has to handle gigabit ethernet, 1.92 gigabit in the form of 4x USB 2.0 ports, 400Mb in the form of firewire, then DVI) to actually be able to use an external PU for VR.

Edit: Well maybe not fast enough, the connector is PCIe Gen 1 x2

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

So I got to use the Playstation VR at a conference I was recently at. I asked about the processing unit (Which looked very finished).

The Sony guy's response was the unit is required for Sony to get low enough latency and high enough frame rate for the experience to be pleasant.

As much as I don't like the idea of having to have an extra box plugged in to use the Playstation VR, I suppose it's nice that they actually are putting the effort in to getting a good user experience. My experience was pretty good, Beside the pretty bad visuals (Which is kind of expected giving the PS4's lacking hardware) It ran very smooth, No apparent screen door effect. (Although this could be more to do with the inherent Blurring effect being used, Presumably to hide any inconsistency, In most games. 

I'm not 100% sure what the guy's role was, But he was actually able to answer any technical questions I had.

I think that Playstation 4 owners are in for a treat (and a glimpse into what a computer can do) when this launches.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4