has AMD hit rock bottom?!

zMeul

I do. The fact you don't consider established economic fact as evidence is not my issue to address. Go ahead and ask your economics professor or a reputable economist. You'll get the same answer.

Its not evidence, if you go to court and say, people shouldnt rob stores, so i could not have robbed one, and you want the judge to consider that evidence?

the gpu division has been spun off from AMD, if AMD goes under then someone will pick up radeon and you will still get your driver updates.

That's not entirely correct.

The GPU Division "Radeon Group" is still part of AMD, nothing has been "spun off" from AMD. What they have done, is separated the CPU and GPU teams into separate internal departments, to allow market focus and specialization to be more efficient.

They had too many hands in the pie, essentially.

However, if AMD ever did go under, expect the GPU Division to be a hot item for bidders wanting to buy it.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Its not evidence, if you go to court and say, people shouldnt rob stores, so i could not have robbed one, and you want the judge to consider that evidence?

Reductio ad absurdum. You can break laws of man, not laws of mathematics. You can't reduce the one to the other and use it as a refutation. It's not a valid reduction. If you try to price yourself above the point marginal cost and marginal revenue meet, you will lose revenue. If you price under it, you will lose revenue. That's inescapable. No CEO would price above that point because remaining CEO requires you make as much money as possible and grow the company. You can't do that by purposely losing money. This also isn't a matter of forensic evidence. If anything this is establishment of total lack of intent. Having the means isn't enough to make an argument either, which is all you're basing your claims on, that Nvidia would have the means to raise prices with AMD gone. There are 2 reasons why it can't.

1) JSH likes his job and would be on the way to losing it if he raised prices beyond the point of profit maximization as predicted by the market analysts working for him

2) With Intel having AMD's IP and making dGPUs, Nvidia would be left wide open to a price war in which Intel would decimate it.

Inductive reasoning is strong evidence as long as the premises are infallible. Mine are.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

No it wouldn't be. Read my posts. Intel gets Radeon and Koduri, and Nvidia gets x86_64 and papermaster.

you realize that Intel/Nvidia would have to want to buy those division right? you don't get to will who gets what in a free economy. and if AMD did indeed fall apart it would be a marked draw back for the pc industry

The clickbait title is real, and let's not even mention how cherrypicked the op post was. His own article states that AMD is on an upward trend. How is this post even up still? Isn't this misleading?

Edit: Literally in the 3rd paragraph of the article

"The long term image for Advanced Micro Devices is still bullish; in the last four weeks shares posting a modest gain of 5.1%.

Upward trends are clear, currently 15 analysts are in consensus that Advanced Micro Devices has a common price target of $2.54 per share. This price target is expected to be reached in the next 52-week period. Some analysts are predicting a higher price target ranging up to $5 per share."

"Some analysts, after analyzing long-term earnings per share estimate trends, have an average estimate for long-term growth at $6.25. This covers a period of three to five years."

The clickbait title is real, and let's not even mention how cherrypicked the op post was. His own article states that AMD is on an upward trend. How is this post even up still? Isn't this misleading?

Edit: Literally in the 3rd paragraph of the article

OP has a hardon for anti-amd stuff, and he won't tell us why.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

supposedly he AMD stuff break and had to pay for it. like boohoo, Im not slinging FUD around about my car manufacturer because I had to pay to replace a battery or rebuild a transmission.

I want a new CPU company, and a new GPU company. Why? Well, AMD has kinda gone down the shitter recently. Their new GPUs are good, but are just refreshes and their CPUs are massively lacking atm. If Zen is shit, RIP AMD.

you realize that Intel/Nvidia would have to want to buy those division right? you don't get to will who gets what in a free economy. and if AMD did indeed fall apart it would be a marked draw back for the pc industry

You realize I thought of that, and they do, right? Nvidia tried entering the x86 space with Denver. Intel shot them down. Intel tried to enter the dGPU space with Larabee. They both want what I say they want. Second, they're the two biggest bidders unless you think Apple would want to buy either one, and the FTC would tell Apple to screw off.

How many times do I have to crack skulls before you people stop assuming I'm full of it? There's a respectful way to challenge someone's thoughts.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

You realize I thought of that, and they do, right? Nvidia tried entering the x86 space with Denver. Intel shot them down. Intel tried to enter the dGPU space with Larabee. They both want what I say they want. Second, they're the two biggest bidders unless you think Apple would want to buy either one, and the FTC would tell Apple to screw off.

How many times do I have to crack skulls before you people stop assuming I'm full of it? There's a respectful way to challenge someone's thoughts.

even by your own admission Nvidia won't buy a company that's underwater so why would they buy the worse half of AMD? the logic you are trying to espouse is beyond me as if AMD gets into a position to where they are seriously trying to sell off its divisions Nvidia and Intel would be the farthest from is due to monopoly concerns EVEN if they were to buy the opposing segments (Nvidia takes CPU and Intel GPU). Not only that Intel is breaking pretty well into the GPU market if the numbers for the Skylake cpus with the edram are to be believed. and just because Nvidia buys the CPU division doesn't mean that Intel would honor an x86 license.

also I would put more money on MS and/or IBM looking at AMD over Intel and Nvidia

what a nice circlejerk you kids have here

Either way, if AMD was on the verge of dying, someone would either buy out all of AMD or buy out their GPU department first.

agreed, the gpu division is what makes the money, the cpu division would need a lot of investment in to even make money 

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

We see these "AMD is doomed" threads all the time, all of them so far have been proven to be a load of BS so far. This one is unlikely to be an exception.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

I love how people don't realize AMD is still milking the same 4-5 year old architecture for their GPU's. And still competing with Nvidia.

So then why on earth is this post still here considering not only how misleading it is, but also that garbage clickbait title he used.

supposedly he AMD stuff break and had to pay for it. like boohoo, Im not slinging FUD around about my car manufacturer because I had to pay to replace a battery or rebuild a transmission.

This right here

I love how people don't realize AMD is still milking the same 4-5 year old architecture for their GPU's. And still competing with Nvidia.

The 290X actually has the same raw compute power as the 980Ti...

290X:

5,632 GFLOPS

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2460/radeon-r9-290x.html

980Ti:

5,632 GFLOPS

Source: http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2724/geforce-gtx-980-ti.html

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

rip AMD

your not cool

jk

amds fucked

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

So then why on earth is this post still here considering not only how misleading it is, but also that garbage clickbait title he used.

This right here

yeah :lol: lol

i am sure that if the title say nvidia instead AMD

the post will be close by now

At the moment I think what we are seeing is the death throws of AMD. They went from making CPU licensed from Intel to keeping Intel on their toes with products that were better and cheaper than even some new ones, then they smashed Intel during the Netburst days and competed quite well in the days of the Phenom II. Now just look at AMD's current state. They are no longer competing in the CPU market at all-7 to 8 years is far too long between CPU, and they've had to resort to rebranding with their GPU to keep that part of them floating-and its still not going too well for them.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

and here is my 2000 post :D yey

on topic, i will say why i love AMD  ;)

i 100% agree with the company philosophy (we share what we know)

DX12  :ph34r:

and thanks too AMD i build my 1s computer

and my 2d, and my 3d, etc, and i love they  ^_^

each one of they give me what they promised me

Sempron x1

Athlon x2

Phenom x4

and now my "awesome"

A10

thanks to this one  :rolleyes:

now i can put my 7850 in my other build with out any problem

and i still play my favorite game with my A10  B)

i love AMD  :wub:

At the moment I think what we are seeing is the death throws of AMD. They went from making CPU licensed from Intel to keeping Intel on their toes with products that were better and cheaper than even some new ones, then they smashed Intel during the Netburst days and competed quite well in the days of the Phenom II. Now just look at AMD's current state. They are no longer competing in the CPU market at all-7 to 8 years is far too long between CPU, and they've had to resort to rebranding with their GPU to keep that part of them floating-and its still not going too well for them.

To be fair , infamous 28nm is large factor in their downfall. 

Anyways AMD lives or dies with Zen - most likely the latter.

and here is my 2000 post :D yey

on topic, i will say why i love AMD  ;)

i 100% agree with the company philosophy (we share what we know)

DX12  :ph34r:

and thanks too AMD i build my 1s computer
and my 2d, and my 3d, etc, and i love they  ^_^

each one of they give me what they promised me

Sempron x1
Athlon x2
Phenom x4

and now my "awesome"
A10

thanks to this one  :rolleyes:
now i can put my 7850 in my other build with out any problem
and i still play my favorite game with my A10  B)

i love AMD  :wub:

#Fanboy

Look, you might think that sticking with a company no matter what is a good idea. However its not. AMD has done nothing to even remotely earn loyalty on the CPU side of things since the Phenom II, and they are lying on the GPU side of things outright. AMD should be respected for the few times that they offered a legitimate alternative to Intel and the times when their GPU were actually mostly new not rebadges-and competing more squarely with Nvidia.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

#Fanboy

Look, you might think that sticking with a company no matter what is a good idea. However its not. AMD has done nothing to even remotely earn loyalty on the CPU side of things since the Phenom II, and they are lying on the GPU side of things outright. AMD should be respected for the few times that they offered a legitimate alternative to Intel and the times when their GPU were actually mostly new not rebadges-and competing more squarely with Nvidia.

yes  :lol: i love they

i am 100% AMD fanboy   ^_^

so... ?  :)

i test it, and work perfect

i test intel also, and they FAIL me (core2duo btw)

i test nvidia, they don't deserve one coin of my money (but you will never see me say don't buy it)

- - - - 

i talk with my 100% own experience

and you friend ?

do you have your opinion based on your own experience ?

or are "you" the fanboy here ?  :rolleyes: