has AMD hit rock bottom?!

zMeul

People buy new graphics card even out of the large launch windows you know. People are not going to wait for some unannounced graphics cards that are a full year off still. We have no idea about architecture, features or anything else other than the codenames, node and HBM2. None of that will affect sales right now or anytime soon. People might wait when there's a few months until shelve stock.

Q2 launch for Pascal already puts a hard timeline on it. People will wait or will have bought before the Christmas season, and most of those sales will go to Nvidia since 99% of games are DX 11 or lower for now.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

At the same price, no, but we all know Intel is asking high prices to give AMD wiggle room. Regardless, the strongest iGPU now belongs to Intel.

true, and while i really do like the broadwell CPU as a concept, it is impractical at any budget short of showing off...

Currently, intels Iris Pro products are comparable in spirit, to a Titan X. You buy one because "iz strongest GPU evah!!!!" not because you get great returns with your investment, and in this sense, AMD is king. I am sure AMD could charge a little bit more for their APUs, but ultimatly, the product has a target audience and when a decent 860k + 750Ti costs roughly 60 USD more but performs eons better, then it is obvious that APU prices cannot be raised too much.

The EU was going to rule against Microsoft regardless of the actual facts of the case. They can't do that with Intel and retain credibility. The Netscape decision was BS and we all know it when we put aside our mutual dislike of Microsoft and look solely at the facts, because Microsoft sold an OS. It didn't sell a browser. Second, you have to have a browser to reach the internet unless you are a command line jockey. Microsoft could have bundled every other browser onto Windows and it still wouldn't have satisfied the EU. The EU wanted blood, and it got it. With Intel, it can't get away with the same petty BS because they can't use the same laws to attack Intel and the circumstances are entirely different.

I'm not underestimating the EU. I just know how it works, and innocence is still presumed even for large corporations. The EU had a crap case with more emotion than substance based on the most loose interpretation of a law I've ever seen. No one is going to care (legally speaking) if AMD dies as long as the end result is more competition just because Intel remains standing. If the cards are shuffled as I prescribe. There will be more competition.

I think i'm starting to see the problem here and why so many disagree with you.

You base your arguments by applying rules and laws in a bubble. As the saying goes laws are made for people with common sense but the reality is most people don't have common sense and knowledge so it falls down to either apply laws objectively without looking at the world or account for people being stupid and try to apply laws accordingly.

As much as i would like laws to be applied purely objectively and those who are too stupid or lazy to learn be damned the reality is no country will do this .

You base your arguments by applying rules and laws in a bubble. As the saying goes laws are made for people with common sense but the reality is most people don't have common sense and knowledge so it falls down to either apply laws objectively without looking at the world or account for people being stupid and try to apply laws accordingly.

As much as i would like laws to be applied purely objectively and those who are too stupid or lazy to learn be damned the reality is no country will do this .

The main reason people call bullshit on him is because he refuses, in every way, to post a link or even describe where he gets his info from.

Yet when others argue against him, you either got to post links to the source material you are referencing or he calls bullshit on you.

And if your evidence counters his, regardless of it is partial or wholly countering, he will dance around the facts you present to you either give up or he finds a straw to grasp at...

The main issue with Patrick is that he does not follow formal discussion rules.

Which includes citing source of information for others to validate.

Not to mention that his form of discussing is detrimental to a topic.

By not listing his sources, either through links or referring to specific articles in text only, it is night impossible to maintain a objective discussion, it ALSO inhibits the ability of other participants in the topic to educate themselves on the matter.

Knowing why is seldom as important to the learning process as learning how.

Se how this plays out?

tl;dr

"What i say is right, i am proof"

"all you say is bullshit, give me proof"

I don't apply them in a bubble. If only facts were allowed to rule the Microsoft case and not a vendetta the EU courts and prosecutors were holding, Microsoft would have walked away from the Netscape case unscathed. The very fact emotions and possibly bribery got in the way (prosecutors of that case are now under corruption investigations) is only a testament to the lack of legitimacy of the EU justice system. In the U.S., as annoying and misguided as some laws are, the courts apply them as they are. In the (paraphrased) words of our own chief justice: "it's not our job to protect Americans from stupid laws, only to determine the constitutionality of those laws."

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

The main reason people call bullshit on him is because he refuses, in every way, to post a link or even describe where he gets his info from.

Yet when others argue against him, you either got to post links to the source material you are referencing or he calls bullshit on you.

And if your evidence counters his, regardless of it is partial or wholly countering, he will dance around the facts you present to you either give up or he finds a straw to grasp at...

The main issue with Patrick is that he does not follow formal discussion rules.

Which includes citing source of information for others to validate.

Not to mention that his form of discussing is detrimental to a topic.

By not listing his sources, either through links or referring to specific articles in text only, it is night impossible to maintain a objective discussion, it ALSO inhibits the ability of other participants in the topic to educate themselves on the matter.

Knowing why is seldom as important to the learning process as learning how.

Se how this plays out?

tl;dr

"What i say is right, i am proof"

"all you say is bullshit, give me proof"

Entirely untrue. I post links when not referencing widely known, existing facts. Someone earlier in this thread argued the economics of AMD dying would let Nvidia run free with price gouging. Economic law (facts) say otherwise since Nvidia doesn't sell in a necessities market. I even provided links to the established mathematical basis of that law, and I was still disagreed with because the twit didn't understand the difference between one's ability to break the laws of man and the laws of physics and mathematics. Laws of man are fluid. Laws of existence are not.

Entirely untrue. I post links when not referencing widely known, existing facts. Someone earlier in this thread argued the economics of AMD dying would let Nvidia run free with price gouging. Economic law (facts) say otherwise since Nvidia doesn't sell in a necessities market. I even provided links to the established mathematical basis of that law, and I was still disagreed with because the twit didn't understand the difference between one's ability to break the laws of man and the laws of physics and mathematics. Laws of man are fluid. Laws of existence are not.

review your own post history please.

take a deep breath and return here in 2 hours and report your findings.

nop  :lol:

if they go bankrupt  :rolleyes:

microsoft will buy it  :D

so... is "nvidia" the one that is screwed  B)

nope we are still screwed because the x86 license wont transfer and amd i think owns the x86_64 so 32bit intel cpus and amd arm cpus

nope we are still screwed because the x86 license wont transfer and amd i think owns the x86_64 so 32bit intel cpus and amd arm cpus

(assuming MS buys AMD) because both Intel and MS are stupid enough to not continue a cross license on x86 and x86_64

It's funny looking back at AMD's roadmap from 2010, and seeing just how much the 20nm problems screwed them over for IPC gains. On the bright side, it forced AMD to hire Jim Keller for a few years to design Zen, instead of shrinking bulldozer down to 14nm like they originally intended. I think AMD would have been screwed with a 14nm bulldozer, so at least they have a fighting chance with Zen. (by bulldozer, I refer to every AMD cpu since Bulldozer, which all share the same basic architecture).

AMD_Fusion_Roadmap_675.jpg

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

review your own post history please.

take a deep breath and return here in 2 hours and report your findings.

I stand by what I said.

• 2 weeks later...

nope, not my thing; I will always hate AMD with every fiber in my body

I will point out every flaw and every wrong move they make, I will make them pay (in my own way) for the defects I paid for

why are you combatting me instead of their business decisions? I'm just the messenger ... don't like the bad news? don't read them!

Literally how I imagine you - so sad. Hmm. So so sad.

931a3b34767045e3f71933f6b2d02afd855d8890

I've no idea about your reasons for being such a devout Nvidia zealot but truth be known I have no interest in knowing them either. You cannot dismiss a company based on a bad product or two when the amount they manufacture daily is more than you can count to in that day. If you think Nvidia or Intel or Samsung or HTC or LG or anyone and their grandma haven't had their share of bad products you are so deluded that it's not even funny.

My best advice - Unless you want to be a laughing stock everywhere change up your attitude a bit - buy whatever you want for yourself, nobody can argue there, but don't go around making the gullible and non-tech-savvy consumers feel like they got a bad deal just because they didn't cough up another 100$ for a (currently lesser) card. I got my card 30% cheaper than the 960. Does that make it a bad decision? NO. you buy based on what you need and how much it costs. Get the best for your money, not the greenest for your cash...

I really doubt anyone can get through to you - you seem to have a deep devout hate for reason and logic

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

AMD hitting rock bottom?  Quite possible since going any lower would likely result in bankruptcy.  But it does seem they have something in the works for a turn around.  Honestly I don't expect the next 2 years to be very kind to AMD since few companies have managed to pull away from the rock bottom, never-mind survive a trip down there.

tl;dr: I'll say they've hit rock bottom when they start naming their cards after rocks.  Who knows, maybe they'll use it as a segway into selling granite counter tops.