Terahertz Radiation Breakthrough Could Lead To 100 Times Faster Wireless Networks

LastYouSee

Scientists have taken a step closer to creating wireless systems that are 100 times faster than existing networks. Known as terahertz radiation, a breakthrough by scientists at Brown University, published in the journal Nature Photonics, could see these high-speed networks in the next 15 years.

http://www.iflscience.com/technology/terahertz-radiation-breakthrough-could-lead-100-times-faster-wireless-networks

99009_web.jpg?itok=w_DRpJdU

And it should be noted that terahertz radiation will not replace existing cellular systems like 4G and upcoming 5G that rely on microwaves, as the range is much shorter – only several hundred meters. Instead, terahertz radiation could be used alongside existing systems perhaps in homes and offices, providing very high bandwidth needs for data.

Can't wait to get that 10 Gbps Wi-Fi

CPU: Intel i7 2600K @3.5 GHz  | Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi 2 | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z67x-UD3-B3 Ram: Kingston HyperX 16 GB | Video Card: Nvidia GTX 580 Storage: Kingston Hyperx 120 GB SSD + 2x2 TB HDDPower Supply: Silverstone 750W Monitor: Apple Cinema 21" | Keyboard: Corsair K90  | Mouse: Steelseries XAI Headset : Steelseries 9H 

I don't see this ever becoming a thing unless they have some kind of magic trick to make it penetrate better. I honestly think your water pipes in the wall would be enough to stop this. The difference between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz is fairly noticeable, and from what I have seen of the Ubiquiti systems going from 5Ghz to 24Ghz drops your range to about 1/10th.

Ok, by the law of physics higher frequencies leads to less range, when using the same transmitting power.

Even with the new wireless standart 802.11ad that is using the 60 GHz band, the range dropps to <10 meters, with the current allowed EIRP.

For the "several 100 meters" you need a perfect line of sight and no nearby objects as well as powerfull driver / antenna! So powerfull it will not be recommended to stand next to it.

We will NOT see this technic for consumers within the next 10 years, IMHO.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

We dont need bandwidth we need better latency /signal strenght /distance etc. This discovery is usless for the regular users might be used in other industrial/military devices.

blah will see in 10 years

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Ok, by the law of physics higher frequencies leads to less range, when using the same transmitting power.

Even with the new wireless standart 802.11ad that is using the 60 GHz band, the range dropps to <10 meters, with the current allowed EIRP.

For the "several 100 meters" you need a perfect line of sight and no nearby objects as well as powerfull driver / antenna! So powerfull it will not be recommended to stand next to it.

Or they could finally allow signal powers over .1 W.

Just saying.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

article says: "could see these high-speed networks in the next 15 years."

+5 years from your prediction :P

even 15 years is a very short time for something to go from lab to consumer, I think.

"When you're in high school you should be doing things, about which you could never tell your parents!"

Nice, wonder when something like this will be available, cause there were pretty good shows about wireless net ofc in labs and all.
But anyway, will stick to wire/cable over wifi at home :)

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I mean it's interesting but I will not being using wifi in my house so \_(ツ)_/.

Wait. What? You don't use WiFi in your house? What do you use then?

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

Ethernet cables; what else would I use?

I was about to say deez nuts, but I would have banned my self from this forum. xP

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

I mean it's interesting but I will not being using wifi in my house so \_(ツ)_/.

What about for mobile devices?  Also, from what I can tell this can make wireless HTPCs and wireless NAS setups practical, which might be preferred over a wired connection.

[witty signature]

article says: "could see these high-speed networks in the next 15 years."

+5 years from your prediction :P

even 15 years is a very short time for something to go from lab to consumer, I think.

I can see this technology for, let's say satelite to satelite communication:

Free space environnement, high transmitt power allowed, relatively large antennas, low thermal noise due to the low temperature, no additional dampening due to the atmosphere....

There will be applications, but not for us as normal consumers. No way to fit this technology into your WLAN router......

Or they could finally allow signal powers over .1 W.

Just saying.

WIth higher frequencies, the layer of skinn required to absorb the energy of the signal gets thinner. The signal energy will be more concentrated and using more power wil be difficult to get WHO approved.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Ethernet cables; what else would I use?

Ooooooooohhhhhh yeahhhhh...

My bad forgot about that :D

Home is where the heart my desktop is.