So.. I accidently bought a server

Andrew_C

I made a ridiculous offer on eBay and this happened... I'm now the proud owner of the following HP DL380 G6.

CPU: 2 x Quad Xeon X5570 2.93 GHz

Mem: 48GB

RAID: P410i + BBWC

HDD: 6 x 300GB 15K SAS

PSU: 2 x 750W

I even managed to score the cabinet rails.

What do I do with it?!

Up to now, I've installed ESXi and whipped up a Server 2012 instance. Started a small Minecraft server for myself to play around in at work, home, wherever. I thought about replicating our work's server offsite. Any suggestions welcome!

how do you "accidentally" buy something...

why did you make the offer if you didnt want to pay that much

how much did it cost

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I made a ridiculous offer on eBay and this happened... I'm now the proud owner of the following HP DL380 G6.

CPU: 2 x Quad Xeon X5570 2.93 GHz

Mem: 48GB

RAID: P410i + BBWC

HDD: 6 x 300GB 15K SAS

PSU: 2 x 750W

I even managed to score the cabinet rails.

What do I do with it?!

Up to now, I've installed ESXi and whipped up a Server 2012 instance. Started a small Minecraft server for myself to play around in at work, home, wherever. I thought about replicating our work's server offsite. Any suggestions welcome!

Wait how do you accidentally buy a server.

"Accidentally bought a server"

The engine roars but then it gives, but never dies

We don't live we just survive

On the scraps that you throw awaaaaaay

keep it you maybe able to use it as a fairly useful home server for your personal use , uncompresed movies and personal website server as such

Details separate people.

Also follow your own topics so you can get notifications @Andrew_C

Why do people tell people this.

It's only good if you want a notification spam. Just check back every little while.

The engine roars but then it gives, but never dies

We don't live we just survive

On the scraps that you throw awaaaaaay

How much did you spend...

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

cool! how much did you pay? (just curious)

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

It will be ok for a basic home server, but it's going to be pretty loud and use quite a bit of power (But luckily not as much as the g5 ;).

Fold on it :D

I was going to say join the LTT folding team.

Or, make a personal minecraft server for you and your buddies?

Dunno. Maybe you could host a LAN party and use it as the hosting server for something like quake, CS:GO, Battlefield 3/4/H,

Something.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

It will be ok for a basic home server, but it's going to be pretty loud and use quite a bit of power (But luckily not as much as the g5 ;).

Power isn't too costly. I already run quite a bit of gear throughout the day. Maybe I can offset the cost if I simply turn my PC off.

keep it you maybe able to use it as a fairly useful home server for your personal use , uncompresed movies and personal website server as such

Hmm, good call, could ditch my web hosting. Small web/email server. Wonder if I could sell of VPS?

Fold on it :D

I've heard of this, is this Bitcoin or Litecoin (without me googling it)...

I mean, the server was cheap enough as it was, up at £400. I offered £275 and boom, accepted.

soooo sell it for 350 an easy profit

I'd test cinebench r15 for sure...

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

I've heard of this, is this Bitcoin or Litecoin (without me googling it)...

absolutely not. folding@home, boinc, etc allow you to lend your computing power (for free, you won't get any money out of it just so we're clear) to important scientific projects, medical research and other things that universities by themselves couldn't afford to buy the computing power for.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/876-foldinghome-install-guide-and-links-linustechtips-team-223518/

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

soooo sell it for 350 an easy profit

Could do! I mean, I play with servers all day long as part of my job so it's not like a need my own playground. Just nice to have around :) maybe get a small rack to install it in. I've already got a rackmount switch & patch panel.

Realised PlusNet won't hand out more than one static IP to home users though, so that rules out selling VPS hosting.

absolutely not. folding@home, boinc, etc allow you to lend your computing power (for free, you won't get any money out of it just so we're clear) to important scientific projects, medical research and other things that universities by themselves couldn't afford to buy the computing power for.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/876-foldinghome-install-guide-and-links-linustechtips-team-223518/

That's awesome! I'd have to dig a little, make sure we're limiting the CPU but I don't see why I can't share a few cycles. Thanks for the info.

Why do people tell people this.

It's only good if you want a notification spam. Just check back every little while.

Because some people never check back on their topic / lose track of it because it was moved to a different section.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro