So.. I accidently bought a server

Andrew_C

How do you "accidentally" buy a server? For real now? Why can't I "accidentally" buy a Mercedes or something? :(

It's frighteningly easy, cheeky bid on something you're half interested in, no one comes to your rescue with a higher bid, and BOOM I now have a set of 20 year old 3 spoke alloy wheels awaiting restoration. You could "accidentally" buy a Mercedes if you put your mind to it ;)

It's frighteningly easy, cheeky bid on something you're half interested in, no one comes to your rescue with a higher bid, and BOOM I now have a set of 20 year old 3 spoke alloy wheels awaiting restoration. You could "accidentally" buy a Mercedes if you put your mind to it ;)

Hahaha good point! Not bad at all! ;) 

Now all I need to do is accidentally buy a house ;) so to be fair, I made an offer on this server that I didn't think the seller would accept - that's the accident on my part. Must say my bank balance wasn't really expecting the hit but I'll get over it.

So at the moment I've got;

• Web/mail server (I'm paying £5.99 a month for 5GB storage and 20GB bandwidth). I'm geting about 75Mb down, 16Mb up on my own fibre so I think we're good.
  • Minecraft server or two, maybe even a public one.
  • Folding@Home - now I've had chance to have a read up.
  • Nightly offsite backup for work's servers (could give myself pennies for this?!)

Anything else?

My Home server does:

Plex Server

3CX Phone Server

Yawcam (2 Instances)

File Server

Utorrent Client

NZB Client

Sonaar

Couch Potatoe

DHCP Server

DNS Server

Terminal Server

• 4 months later...

I feel a quick update is in order here. Not too much to tell:

Hooked up an APC SMT750, loaded ESXi onto a fresh RAID5+1.

Spun up a couple of new VMs - both of them Windows Server 2012 R2. Created a Domain Controller on the first and populated AD. Installed MS Exchange 2016 on the second to get some hands on experience. Unfortunately it's only on trial at the moment (unless I can get someone to sponsor me the licence) so more work to come in future.

I've also spun up a couple extra services. We use Veeam Backup & Recovery at work, so I've got backups replicating to a Synology here at mine, using a guest on the server as a WAN accelerator (all over an IPsec VPN of course). There is also a PowerChute Network Services appliance on there, monitoring the UPS.

Also had a go at using it to brute force some old WPA CAP files I had laying about. Gotta say for the number of cores I wasn't too impressed - shant be doing it again any time soon.

I'm sure I'll get some more done when I have time.

Veeam Backup & Recovery is superb, we have pushed it out to our vmware customer when we install thier servers. Single file recovery works brilliant and the 2 times i have had to full restore, its very fast.

I have a new server coming my way next week so I'll post a few updates then. I'm going to visualize my current server with vmware then run 3 more servers and distribute the services amongst them.