I don't understand why people call OR Virtual reality? please explain.

kaylexmorgana

Ok I am tired of hearing about oculus rift being "next gen" and "virtual reality".

1. it is nothing but a 1440p screen in your face.

2. if it was actually VR you would be able to FEEL things INSIDE the game.

3. it wouldn't be $300 or whatever the price is.

4. you wouldn't need a controller, you would just have a thing attached to your head and boom. don't tell me you can perfectly control every single game by moving around.

A perfect example is the shitty anime, sword art online if you have seen it. he puts on this helmet thing and he just lays on his bed and does nothing and doesn't move at all. he is in a MMORPG and moves and does whatever like REAL LIFE. he logs out and goes back to the real world via in game. that is real VR. which we won't see in our life times.

CPU: i9 19300k////GPU: RTX 4090////RAM: 64gb DDR5 5600mhz ////MOBO: Aorus z790 Elite////MONITORS: 3 LG 38" 3840x1600 WIDESCREEN MONITORS

Ok I am tired of hearing about oculus rift being "next gen" and "virtual reality".

4. you wouldn't need a controller, you would just have a thing attached to your head and boom. don't tell me you can perfectly control every single game by moving around.

A perfect example is the shitty anime, sword art online if you have seen it. he puts on this helmet thing and he just lays on his bed and does nothing and doesn't move at all. he is in a MMORPG and moves and does whatever like REAL LIFE. he logs out and goes back to the real world via in game. that is real VR. which we won't see in our life times.

we won't ever see sword art online type vr

or matrix type vr

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

we won't ever see sword art online type vr

or matrix type vr

Why not ? With enough research, I'm positive that we could induce sleep in people and control their dreams, making them play a videogame.

Edit: It's kind of scary though.

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

Sounds cooler.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Because VR = virtual reality -> You see ONLY the enviroment that is not real. You are not disrupted by the real world (or you are at least temporarily isolated from it). Lack of other senses is bothersome for sure but that doesent mean it isnt VR. I am sure there will be improvements in future.

AR = augemented reality -> you see virtual objects projected into real world.

Everybody says it's impossible until somebody does it.

yeah in 200 years.

CPU: i9 19300k////GPU: RTX 4090////RAM: 64gb DDR5 5600mhz ////MOBO: Aorus z790 Elite////MONITORS: 3 LG 38" 3840x1600 WIDESCREEN MONITORS

While on the literal side its a head mounted display and not VR, but its a part of vr. That part being displaying the virtual world. Though yes SOA would be vr, thats not the only description for it; using a HMD and something that can capture all body movements is vr. Not nearly as efficient but still gets the job done.

They can call it whatever they want, Im still on the Oculus bandwagon. 

I personally dont care for all the tech demos or vr games that are out, but for sim racing its freaking awesome. Cant wait for the higer res CV1 to be relased.

i7-5820k @ 4.6ghz w/ H100i || Asus Sabertooth x99 || Gigabyte 980ti G1 ||  EVGA 980ti SC || 32gb DDR4 2666mhz Gskil || 1tb WD Black HDD || Samsung XP941 256gb M.2 PCIe || EVGA 1300w G2 || Corsair 540 w/ Silverstone Sound Dampening Foam || Logisys RGB Led  || Corsair M65 Mouse  & Corsair RGB k70 || A lot of Corsair SP120s

didn't they already make like a vest that simulates bullet impacts, and a pair of gloves that let you 'feel' virtual things? not to mention that treadmill thing that lets you walk while maintaining the same position! i think a game of VR COD is pretty far on the way to completion to be honest :P

didn't they already make like a vest that simulates bullet impacts, and a pair of gloves that let you 'feel' virtual things? not to mention that treadmill thing that lets you walk while maintaining the same position! i think a game of VR COD is pretty far on the way to completion to be honest :P

virtual boy 2.0

Why not ? With enough research, I'm positive that we could induce sleep in people and control their dreams, making them play a videogame.

Edit: It's kind of scary though.

We will never achieve SAO level of vr unless we use brain implants and even then I doubt it. The helmet is intercepting the commands from the brain to the rest of the body except vital signals like heartbeat or breathing or all the other things the brain passively controls. It is also sending a video stream into the head wirelessly. A more realistic expectation is what they have in Ready Player One. In that book you still need a controller although they use haptic gloves instead of a console controller and an OR style headset. More advanced rigs suspend the user in a "chair" that has 3 axis movement and a headset that uses lasers to project the image directly on your retinas. You wear a body suit that has little actuators in it to simulate touch. This is much more realistic and attainable. SAO or the matrix are pure fiction.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

1 - Wrong, is stereoscopic 3D, is not just a screen on your face.

2 - Not in our lifetimes.

3 - We don't know.

4 - Again, not in our lifetimes.

That's the best we have, you can't ask more from today's technology.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

1 - Wrong, is stereoscopic 3D, is not just a screen on your face.

2 - Not in our lifetimes.

3 - We don't know.

4 - Again, not in our lifetimes.

That's the best we have, you can't ask more from today's technology.

exactly  but it is NOT virtual reality. so do NOT call it that.

exactly  but it is NOT virtual reality. so do NOT call it that.

It sort of is though, your brain gets fooled into thinking is in another place.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.