Microsoft explains why people don't have the "Get Windows 10" icons or was not upgrading

GoodBytes

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

Am I the only one who did it off this?

Nope, me too.

Upgraded first from Windows 7 to Win10 using the .ISO inside Windows 7 so Microsoft registered my PC as "Upgraded".

Then downloaded the Win10 Pro .ISO with the Media Creation Tool and made a nice Win10 USB

Clean installed Win10 on a new SSD, never typed a key or license, Win10 got activated by itself.

I don't know why people are having so many issues. Maybe it's just me. But I will always think that a clean install is better than an upgrade.

When you clean install you clean some crap you have, you analyze what programs you need and you dump useless stuff.

Also been running Win10 in my main SSD, no issues. Better than 8.1, a little bit faster and nothing to complain besides Windows trying to install Nvidia Drivers by itself

Anyways you can hide updates if you want. 

For me, Microsoft did a really good job. I find Win10 really polished considering that it just released yesterday.

Apparently FastBoot has issues, and amda00 interface component (probably related).

Skype works fine, your problem is USB controller. Try a different controller if you have one.

Hmmm. From what I can read on the four forum posts I can find about it, it seems to be limited to the X99 Deluxe USB 3.1 version, not the original X99 Deluxe, which I have. Both seem to have that behavior. Dunno. Although I checked the Event Viewer and couldn't find any evidence for missing a driver or one that couldn't be loaded or whatever. (curiously, I have logs for anything earlier than 7/21, nothing special about that date from what I remember)

A few links I found while searching around.

As for fast boot, I have that enabled and I had according to Task Mager, my last BIOS time was 16.0 seconds. Which I'm decently content with, and my 840EVO.

How would I know what controller I have for the back USB ports?

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

Didnt have the notification, downloaded a program that prompted me to upgrade to windows 10, works fine. Edge is still IE in the way you use it to get chrome. You dont even get to sort your own bookmarks properly.

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

I find it interesting how this roll out has been. I reserved a copy and when the day came nothing prompted me to upgrade. Furthermore, I had a OEM version of 7 pro and I had changed out the motherboard and cpu and it wasn't telling me within the windows 10 app whether or not my system would be good for 10 it said that it could populate the report. Any who tweaktown.com came out with a article which provides you the download link to 10 this is a microsoft link where you can download it ahead of time and upgrade it yourself without having to wait through the que of maybe or maybe not getting it. 

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/46729/download-windows-10-usb-flash-drive-iso-file-link/index.html

Oh my god. How many games do you have installed? :D

I don't even know, if i can't remember my age then how i can remember how many games do i have installed? 

Your desktop makes me cry. The amount of things on my desktop is... just about nothing.

My desktop are fine for me, a little bit messy but i'm too lazy to put them in a single folder.

7X9R3O1.jpg

Is there a way to see what drivers aren't ready/optimized, I have 6.8gb downloaded as a hidden file with windows update history showing failed for windows 10 pro.

JRUH6hp.png

Should I still wait it out?

Yes, I actually found the same issue in my Windows update and contacted Windows support and they said that the update failed becuase it hasn't rolled out to me yet and I just need to wait.

It's frustrating, but I guess this is how they've chosen to do it. I think I would rather them do it this way than them try to roll it all out at once and the have the thing be horribly broken.

Rig: MSI X370 SLI-Plus | Ryzen 7 1700X | ASUS GTX1070 | Corsair Vengeance 32gb DDR4 3000mhz | Corsair RM750i PSU | Samsung EVO 960 256GB NVMe SSD | Samsung EVO 860 1TB SSD | NZXT S340 Elite Case | Custom Water Loop

Didnt have the notification, downloaded a program that prompted me to upgrade to windows 10, works fine. Edge is still IE in the way you use it to get chrome. You dont even get to sort your own bookmarks properly.

what u on?

i imported my bookmarks from chrome and firefox to edge opened the bookmark tab ordered them in the order i wanted and turn on the bookmark bar in edge and now there all there and i can re arange them if i want and re name ect and i get to take advated of the 112% speed increase over chrome :) edge is working great for me and looks like its my new browser im gonna run some test tonight see what resourses it takes up see if its lower than firefox

Case:- 4U Rack Mount Case | Cooler:- Antec Kuhler H600 | CPU:- Intel i5 4690K @ 4.50GHz GPU:- Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB AMP! Omega Core Edition @ 1449MHz | Motherboard:- MSI Z97S SLI Krait | PSU:- XFX XTR 650W Gold | RAM:- HyperX DDR3 1866MHz 4GB White (x2) Black (x2) | Storage:- Kingston V300 120GB | Storage 2:- Seagate FireCuda 1TB | Build Log |

Yes, I actually found the same issue in my Windows update and contacted Windows support and they said that the update failed becuase it hasn't rolled out to me yet and I just need to wait.

It's frustrating, but I guess this is how they've chosen to do it. I think I would rather them do it this way than them try to roll it all out at once and the have the thing be horribly broken.

Yea I'll wait it out, going to check it out on my surface to see how it is for now.

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10

Oh so thats why my rig got the icon on day one, and it took a few weeks for my laptop to get it 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Hold on a sec... The windows "system analysis" is kind of broken and flawed then, and here's why:

People who are currently running windows 7 or 8.1 are currently running the drivers specific to windows 7 and 8.1. Why would they be running windows 10 drivers if they aren't using windows 10 yet? So, if the HARDWARE IS compatible, then those people should get the "get windows 10" app icon but with a large warning/disclaimer that pops up reminding them to update their drivers to the windows 10 versions after the upgrade. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

On a side note, W10 is basically a beta at this point http://www.computerworld.com/article/2953307/microsoft-windows/windows-10-is-for-suckers.html

I don't understand why people wanna rush this update.

Microsoft is pushing it to as many people as possible precisely to get more testing done. There's a reason for the auto updates, the creepy but probably bug fixing relating information collecting and the "free for a year, reserve now!" campaign to get everyone to upgrade.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Hold on a sec... The windows "system analysis" is kind of broken and flawed then, and here's why:

People who are currently running windows 7 or 8.1 are currently running the drivers specific to windows 7 and 8.1. Why would they be running windows 10 drivers if they aren't using windows 10 yet? So, if the HARDWARE IS compatible, then those people should get the "get windows 10" app icon but with a large warning/disclaimer that pops up reminding them to update their drivers to the windows 10 versions after the upgrade. 

I think is more of a "known issue with windows 10 drivers on this hardware configuration" thing so hypothetically, if they know you have a Kepler card and they know the current Nvidia driver has major issues with it right now in 10 they won't push the update until they know the driver problem is addressed once you upgrade to 10 so it's smooth sailing.

-------

Current Rig

-------

No. It means get the latest Windows 7/8.1 drivers. It has been reported that some drivers have problem during the upgrade process. Manufactures affected have fixed it, or are fixing it. Those who are fixed, well you need to have it in you r Windows 7/8.1 system, so you need to upgrade your Windows 7/8.1 drivers.

So for example:

3DFX has drivers version 24.12 for your trusted 3DFX super hardware that you love, in your trusty Windows 7 powered computer.

All is fine and great. But Microsoft poke 3DFX one day and said "Hey, your drivers has a bug. Because of this, it is no longer following our documentation, making it impossible for us to make our upgrade system work with your drivers. Fix it."

Then, 3DFX fixes the problem and releases 25.10 drivers with the problem fix. But you didn't upgrade. Weeks passes and now a new version of Windows comes out. You are all excited and want to upgrade. But you have version 24.12... so when you try and upgrade it fails. And you wonder why. And you go on forums, and complain how Microsoft is stupid, and how they can't get things to work! Why? Microsoft? Whhhyyy? You say, crying to help. Update your drivers! :)

What system analysis should do, is check for drivers as well. But Microsoft is in a mix situation. Most people don't know what drivers are. To me, they should have an advance tab or button which gives you details, but sadly it doesn't.

We must also keep in mind, however, that due to the mass number of not only hardware, but hardware configurations (as we can have a driver that works great on system A, but not perfectly on B, and with B dues to the mixture of hardware you have this driver bug, which blocks the upgrade). So under such situation, it is nearly impossible for Microsoft to know.

I think is more of a "known issue with windows 10 drivers on this hardware configuration" thing so hypothetically, if they know you have a Kepler card and they know the current Nvidia driver has major issues with it right now in 10 they won't push the update until they know the driver problem is addressed once you upgrade to 10 so it's smooth sailing.

No. It means get the latest Windows 7/8.1 drivers. It has been reported that some drivers have problem during the upgrade process. Manufactures affected have fixed it, or are fixing it. Those who are fixed, well you need to have it in you r Windows 7/8.1 system, so you need to upgrade your Windows 7/8.1 drivers.

So for example:

3DFX has drivers version 24.12 for your trusted 3DFX super hardware that you love, in your trusty Windows 7 powered computer.

All is fine and great. But Microsoft poke 3DFX one day and said "Hey, your drivers have a bug. Because of this, it is no longer following our documentation, making it impossible for us to make our upgrade system work. Fix it". 3DFX released 25.10 drivers with the problem fix. You didn't upgrade. Weeks passes and now a new version of Windows comes out. You are all excited and want to upgrade. But you have version 24.12... so when you try and upgrade it fails. And you wonder why. And you go on forums, and complain how Microsoft is stupid, and how they can get things to work! Why? Microsoft? Whhhyyy? You say, crying to help. Update your drivers! :)

What system analysis should do, is check for drivers as well. But Microsoft is in a mix bad. Most people, don't know what drivers are. To me, they should have an advance tab or button which gives you details, but it doesn't.

We must also keep in mind, however, that due to the mass number of not only hardware, but hardware configurations (as we can have a driver that works great on system A, but not on B, and with B dues to the mixture of hardware you have this driver bug, which blocks the upgrade). So under such situation, it is nearly impossible for Microsoft to know.

Ah, understood. Thanks for the clarification. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

And you go on forums, and complain how Microsoft is stupid, and how they can get things to work! Why? Microsoft? Whhhyyy?

Not to go off topic but This is the standard response of the internet to anything that doesn't feed the beast with instant gratification.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Seriously why in the fucking hell wouldn't they say this.

rather then have their staff on their forums trying to force it

say that they are not getting it cause it wasnt a legit copy/it was part of a business and their system admin needed to to the upgrade

have people spend god knows how many hours trying to trouble shoot the issue to (in my case) no avail 

also I raise an eye brow to this since my laptop didnt get the option either yet its been perfectly fine with the OS thus far.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

So with this confirmation, it's now safe to manually install win10 if you have the icon and reservation ready but the go-signal isn't present.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Wait are people using pirated copies getting the notification on there windows update thing? Cause i  havent

I didnt have it on my legitimate version of windows 7 home premium, I was tired of not being able to host a homegroup so I decided to install windows 7 ultimate (clearly pirated) and I got it. It's the exact same hardware.

Some people are really impatient for no reason...

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Yes you should wait. If you look at the "Get Windows 10" app again, you'll see that it will say something along the lines that Microsoft is working with their partners. I have the same thing on my Surface Pro 2 (SP2), and others SP2 users have the same thing. I used to have Technical Preview on it, so I know the driver issues I'll face on my SP2.

I think most if not all people system would be working once they release the big updated rumored to be early August.

Uh if there's any device on the planet that should work day 1 it's a Surface pro 2...

Ironically yesterday I did have a problem with one of the Windows 10 machines in the house. It seems like some pre-installed piece of software was causing problems (I found similar symptoms as a result of upgrading to Win 8.1 on forums). It's worth mentioning that this PC was the only PC in the house that upgraded normally using Windows Update. xD

Instead of having those shitty rules, they should just make it free for consumers.

WinBeta reports that Paul Thurrott from Winsupersite.com talk to Microsoft onto why people are in a waiting list for the Windows 10 update, and why some don't even get the 'Get Windows 10' icon.

Microsoft responded that the reason is that they know the hardware configurations where Windows 10 will work great out of the box. Sadly there is a pool of hardware/drivers that aren't ready for Windows 10, and those system don't have the icon or put into a waiting list

Paul Thurrott says:

So for those who forced update or decided to take the ISO path and are having problems, well that is why.

Source: http://www.winbeta.org/news/explained-why-some-pcs-will-get-windows-10-earlier-others

So apparently Win10 doesnt recognize my parts..

Which means they dunno what I7 4790k, R9 295x2, Xonar D2X, AC56,Z97 Maximus Hero and Kingston Savage RAM does.... cuz, its not like these parts are old or anything. hardly anyone has a i7 4790k do they?

So apparently Win10 doesnt recognize my parts..

Which means they dunno what I7 4790k, R9 295x2, Xonar D2X, AC56,Z97 Maximus Hero and Kingston Savage RAM does.... cuz, its not like these parts are old or anything. hardly anyone has a i7 4790k do they?

Maybe your motherboard? I know that some people with the ASUS X99 are having problems with Windows 10.

You can force upgrade and see for yourself if you have any downsides that affects you.