Microsoft explains why people don't have the "Get Windows 10" icons or was not upgrading

GoodBytes

WinBeta reports that Paul Thurrott from Winsupersite.com talk to Microsoft onto why people are in a waiting list for the Windows 10 update, and why some don't even get the 'Get Windows 10' icon.

Microsoft responded that the reason is that they know the hardware configurations where Windows 10 will work great out of the box. Sadly there is a pool of hardware/drivers that aren't ready for Windows 10, and those system don't have the icon or put into a waiting list

Paul Thurrott says:

I spoke with Microsoft… and one of the things they told me was that the way that they're slipstreaming non-Insider systems into the update process... is they have this matrix of configurations, pc configurations: at one end they have the ones they know are going to work great because it’s just a collection of devices for which they have all proper drivers and everything's going to go great, and then down at the other end is the black hole where there's lots of problems, and what they want to do is get as many people who have all the good stuff updated as quickly as possible.

So it's kind of random… to the user, in the sense that I've heard from many people that "I have this one PC, this brand new one, and I'm not getting the icon, but I have this other one that's a couple of years old, and I did get the icon, you'd think it would be the other way around.

But it doesn't have to do with the age of the system or what OS it's running, it has to do with the components and the drivers that are available and so on.

And so the ones that will go first are the ones that happen to be in the known good part of the matrix, and that will improve over time.

So for those who forced update or decided to take the ISO path and are having problems, well that is why.

Source: http://www.winbeta.org/news/explained-why-some-pcs-will-get-windows-10-earlier-others

They should have stated this before release, and made it clear to people not to upgrade until they have the notification in my eyes.

thanks for this, ive been wondering why i haven't got the icon anymore. I was going to install it via the iso file but guess ill just wait for the "official" release.

My PC Specs:          CPU: i5 4690k(stock speed of 3.50GHz)          GPU: MSI GTX 770 4GB          Storage: WD Blue 1TB HDD and 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD             Ram: 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1600MHz           Motherboard: Z97 Asus Maximus VII Ranger          PSU: Corsair RM650 650W          CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO                    Case: Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl with window         OS: Windows 10 Pro                                

[removed]

People

Edited by Godlygamer23

[removed]

• People who don't have the icon, and don't know why 
  • People who don't have the notification to install, and don't know why
  • People that are crying about having issues with drivers, yet decided to force upgrade 
  • People who are still considering to upgrade to W10, and who still don't have the notifcation 
  • People who are thinking of foce upgrading to W10, as they don't have the notification 

TL;DR - People. 

Edited by Godlygamer23

I installed it anyways, seems to be fine.

Mobo MSI X370 Carbon CPU Ryzen 7 1700 3.8GHz RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x8GB 3000MHz GPU ASUS GTX 1070 Strix Case NZXT S340 Storage Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2 - Seagate 1TB  PSU EVGA 750W Cooling NZXT Kraken X52 OS WIndows 10 Pro

Keyboard Arachnid Recore - Cherry MX Red Mouse Corsair M45  !!--GTA V--!!  

I like this, the should've said it earlier, but i'm glad they did this.

I got the update normally, no wonder everything is working just fine ^^

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

So for those who forced update or decided to take the ISO path and are having problems, well that is why.

Meanwhile those of us who used the ISO and everything went swimmingly are just as perplexed as ever.

i broke my win 10 download screw you microsoft forums and all 250 people who said it worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[removed]

You would care if you didn't the get the upgrade or were having problems with W10.

Edited by Godlygamer23

that might explain why my pc takes about 2 hours from post to usable windows now

Xeon E3-1231-v3 // 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro // Asus Z97AR // XFX RX 480 GTR

hmm i had to force enable my GWX icon and I also had to force my computer to update to win 10. I haven't had one single issue. I knew my hardware was compatible from the start. 

There is more to this I TELL YOU!

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

[removed]

Probably a lot of people...

Edited by Godlygamer23

i broke my win 10 download screw you microsoft forums and all 250 people who said it worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mine does work by running manual Windows 10 upgrade.

I didn't have it, but I just downloaded the ISO.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

I didn't have it, but I just downloaded the ISO.

Mine does work by running manual Windows 10 upgrade.

but that involves formating

but that involves formating

So? Backup your stuff.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

So? Backup your stuff.

every time I try it gets stuck at 95 percent

I tried to create an ISO for it, but it doesn't even work, it took about four hours to download and create the disk, then at the end the disk is still empty. WTF?

So for those who forced update

What do you mean by "forced"? I had the 6 GB hidden folder but I noticed Windows Update failed the upgrade, so I deleted the files in SoftwareDistribution and got Windows Update to redownload everything and try again until it worked. Haven't had any problems so far.

i5-4690K@4.5 GHz // Asus Z87-Pro // HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3-1600 // Crucial BX100 250GB // Sapphire Nitro R9 390 // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 // Fractal Design Define S // be quiet! Pure Rock & Pure Wings 2 // BenQ XL2730Z // Corsair Vengeance K70 // Logitech G403 Wireless // Sennheiser HD 598 SE

Microsoft responded that the reason is that they know the hardware configurations where Windows 10 will work great out of the box. Sadly there is a pool of hardware/drivers that aren't ready for Windows 10, and those system don't have the icon or put into a waiting list

Nice attempt at damage control, Microsoft.  

The troubleshooting section nearly exploded well before people could have finished downloading the ISO or figured out how to push the update.

Don't blame users for your own incompetence.

Makes sense. I have an older laptop where I install Windows 8 and pretty much everything works out of the box, compared to a newer one (with much lower specs) where I'll do a clean install of Windows 8 and nothing has drivers

"Rawr XD"