Overclocker Takes Intel Core i7-6700K to 5.2GHz

Codymm03

Source #1 

Maximum PC

z6j4wi8tEQXg.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

Intel is gearing up to launch its Skylake processors at the beginning of next month (the rumored launch is August 5), and most of what we've seen so far about the new architecture has been impressive. You can add overclocking potential to the list. Chinese-language website HKEPC posted a CPU-Z image to its Facebook page that shows an Intel Core i7-6700K running at 5.2GHz (well, 5,198.75MHz, to be exact), which is a pretty significant jump from its stock 4GHz core and 4.2GHz boost clockspeeds.

What's even better is that the overclock didn't require an insane amount of voltage or exotic cooling. According to HKEPC, the overclock was achieved at 1.35V using air cooling, not water or LN2. Assuming the overclock is legit, this bodes well for Skylake-S, and the Core i7-6700K in particular. As a refresher, the 6700K is quad-core processor built on a 14nm manufacturing process. In addition to the aforementioned clockspeeds, it also has 8MB of L3 cache, 95W TDP, and can support DDR4-2133 and DDR3L-1600 memory.

On the graphics side, WCCFTech reports it's running a GT2 graphics part with 24 execution units, 350MHz base and 1,250MHz boost clockspeeds, and full support for DirectX 12.

The specs are similar to the Core i7-4790K (Devil's Canyon), but with faster graphics, a 200MHz slower boost, and of course several architectural upgrades that improve the performance per clock and power efficiency. Skylake-S processors will require a new socket -- LGA 1151. We've already seen a spattering of Z170-chipset boards, and when the line of CPUs launches, you can bet there will be a fair number of mobos to choose from as well.

(Note: This is straight  from Maximum PC.)

Source #2

WCCFTECH

Intel’s Skylake processors are going to hit the market in a couple of weeks and we have seen several samples already rolling out in the wild which have been tested by a few Chinese sites. The Core i7-6700K is going to be the flagship processor of the lineup and we have seen some preliminary performance numbers in benchmarks obtained from a test rig that use premature drivers and an early BIOS version that wasn’t fully configured to drive Skylake processors. The latest report on the Core i7-6700K shows that overclocking on the unlocked chips will be impressive than ever.

Intel-Core-i7-6700K-Overclock.png

Image Credits: HKEPC

Intel Core i7-6700K Overclocked to 5.2 GHz Clock Speed on Air Cooling

HKEPC is the first site to report an overclock on the flagship Skylake processor. Their Chief-Reporter, Lam Chu-Kui was able to obtain an impressive clock speed of 5.2 GHz on the Skylake processor but there’s more to this overclock than just a bump in clock frequencies which we will get to in a second. First, it should be mentioned that the upcoming Skylake-S Unlocked processors which include the Core i7-6700K and Core i5-6600K are the first processors in the lineup that launch on 5th August and will be coupled with several Z170 motherboards that will be available on the same date (actually some are already available on retail). These chips will be the successor of the Devil’s Canyon based Core i7-4790K and Core i5-4690K. Taking a quick glance a the flagship Core i7-6700K CPU, we are looking at a quad core design with eight threads which shows a multi-threaded design. The chip features 8 MB of L3 cache and has clock speeds maintained at 4.0 GHz base and 4.2 GHz boost clock. The chip can support DDR4 2133 MHz memory and DDR3L 1600 MHz memory. The processor features the GT2 graphics chip with 24 execution units, clock speeds of 350 MHz base an 1250 MHz boost and full support for DirectX 12 API. The overall specs aren’t much different than the Devil’s Canyon Core i7-4790K which had same core configuration, 4.0 GHz base and 4.4 GHz boost but a slower iGPU (HD 4600) with 20 EUs and 1250 MHz boost clock. The main changes have been featured as micro-architecture improvements which leads to gain in IPC (Instructions per clock cycle) and efficiency (performance per watt) on a 14nm process.

Intel-Core-i7-4790K-Devils-Canyon-Packag

Intel Core i7-4790K Slide [showcasing improved thermal/power management systems]

With Devil’s Canyon, Intel gave Haswell two updates. One was a refocused power delivery and management system to tone down the heat generation on the core. It was further improved by a NGPTIM (Next Generation Polymer-based Thermal Interface Material) which gave a better contact surface to the die with the heat-spreader to effectively transfer heat to the IHS and then dissipate it to a active-cooling heatsink. This did help to reduce temperatures to some extent but the addition of voltage regulation unit on the chip itself meant that the problem still existed when higher voltages were configured during overclocking sessions. Sure the chip could reach high clocks on LN2 but most overclockers had voltage pushing past 1.5 – 1.52V on a 5.1-5.2 GHz overclock. The overclock shown today is a 1200 MHz (1.2 GHz) clock speed improvement over the reference clock speed of 4.0 GHz on the Core i7-6700K. Not only that, it was achieved with air cooling with a voltage supply of just 1.35V. The temperatures were said to be under limits and overclocking on Skylake is considered to be more fun than Broadwell processors which are a feast to overclock. If the overclock turns out stable and final samples are also able to obtain similar overclocks, then it will be a fine day for the enthusiast world.

(Note: This is also from straight from WCCFTECH.)

Source #3

Facebook Post

kYvX22Y.jpg

Sources

Source 1:  http://www.maximumpc.com/overclocker-takes-intel-core-i7-6700k-to-52ghz-on-air/?hootPostID=57c4c035692b586a91d33f88c472f8f2

Source 2: http://wccftech.com/intel-core-i7-6700k-skylake-overclocked-52-ghz-air-cooling-135v/

Source 3: https://www.facebook.com/hkepc/photos/a.10150610487158946.389221.94338753945/10153038060528946/?type=1&permPage=1

I found this in one of the posts which I would say is even more  likely to be fake or very unstable but here http://wccftech.com/intel-skylake-core-i7-6700k-vs-core-i7-4790k-benchmarks-performance-leaked/

One chip doesnt prove a thing.. Its nice to wait before making conclusions.

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

0.835V O.o

Holy shit O.o

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

One chip doesnt prove a thing.. Its nice to wait before making conclusions.

Yes thats very true.

Holy shit O.o

OMG wow thats amazing 0.o

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Nice...Wonder if they went back to the die being soldered. I wanna upgrade my 2500k so bad. And if skylake overclocks like this I just might not wait for ZEN.

EDIT:says right in the article 1.35v. 

Wasn't there stories of overclockers taking the 4790K to 5 GHz on air too?...

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Nice...Wonder if they went back to the die being soldered. I wanna upgrade my 2500k so bad. And if skylake overclocks like this I just might not wait for ZEN.

EDIT:says right in the article 1.35v. 

If your doing it now i would go for i7 4970k because ddr3 is so cheap and ddr4 hasn't got cheap yet

But which air cooler? It could have very likely been something like a Noctua NH-D15 which performs similar to AIO water cooling

Yep .. Golden chips.. Prob what this is here but we can hope lol

5.2ghz on what cooler all it says is an air cooler but how do we its not an extremely large cooler

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Probably with some extreme cooling and we don't know what cooler they were using.

If your doing it now i would go for i7 4970k because ddr3 is so cheap and ddr4 hasn't got cheap yet

skylake will support both ddr4 and ddr3
Spoiler

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

Probably with some extreme cooling and we don't know what cooler they were using.

My money is on it being a .00001% chip, and a cooler like the NH-D15. I really doubt you will see this level performance from the store bought chips. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

5.2ghz on what cooler all it says is an air cooler but how do we its not an extremely large cooler

I know wouldn't it be awesome if it was on stock cooler. Also we don't know how stable it is.

I know wouldn't it be awesome if it was on stock cooler. Also we don't know how stable it is.

yeah that would be awesome if that was true then just imagine what a custom waterloop would do but that is most likely years away
Spoiler

I don't want a 4790k. If I did I would have upgraded when it came out. Ill just wait for ZEN if skylake isn't an overclocking beast. 

I don't need 5ghz+, but good lord if normal chips can OC to 4.4 - 4.8 on 1.2-1.3v on a tower like the NH-D15.. I will be thrilled.  Hell, I am thrilled now.  Here's hoping.

Sandy/Ivy Bridge part two? Maybe?

Have a bad day...

Looks fake to me

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Even if it's a cherry picked engineering sample, it still looks awesome. Maybe Skylake will give us a reason to update after all.

-------

Current Rig

-------

DDR3 is not cheap, or it was cheaper in the past.  and DDR4 is now around the same price as DDR3

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc