Overclocker Takes Intel Core i7-6700K to 5.2GHz

Codymm03

If You Can Reach 5.2 Ghz At 0.825 Volts I Think You Could Reach 6.2Ghz At 1.25 Volts

This isn't mine but yea they really could

The record is still an AMD 8350 at 8.8ghz.  It's pretty sad that Intel can't even compete with a 3 year old AMD CPU.

CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.7ghz - RAM: HyperX Savage 16GB DDR3 Memory @2400mhz - GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 3.5GB @1500mhz - Mobo: Gigabyte Gaming 7 Z97 - Storage: Win10 on 240GB HyperX Predator m.2 SSD, - Ubuntu w/ Gnome 3 on 80GB OCZ Vertex 3 - 500GB Samsung 850 Evo Game Installs - 5TB mass storage - Monitor: 21:9 3440x1440 LG 34UM95 - PSU: Corsair RM 750w - Case: Silverstone FT01 - Cooling: Custom Water Loop

The record is still an AMD 8350 at 8.8ghz.  It's pretty sad that Intel can't even compete with a 3 year old AMD CPU.

Which barely competes with even older netburst based Pentium 4/Celeron.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

What was the heat

What was the heat

Think of liquid helium.

PMSL

I see no real reason to believe these leaks...let's just wait until the release, hmm?

Well Intel has removed the  Internal Voltage Regulator (IVR) so I'm believing that the OC will be a lot better than either Ivy Bridge or Haswell. 

Think of liquid helium.

and then boiling water

Well Intel has removed the  Internal Voltage Regulator (IVR) so I'm believing that the OC will be a lot better than either Ivy Bridge or Haswell. 

Again, we shall see. And there will always be a lower limit to the cooling capacity for the chip than those of Sandy Bridge because they can no longer safely use solder due to the small size of the transistors, which has much higher conductivity than the crap paste they used for Ivy Bridge and Haswell. Unless you delid, that is. 

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

and then boiling water

You don't boil water with CMT and Netburst CPU, you vaporise it.

PMSL

Which barely competes with even older netburst based Pentium 4/Celeron.

Funny how Netburst claimed clocks up to 10GHZ but that never happened because of heat......

Funny how Netburst claimed clocks up to 10GHZ but that never happened because of heat......

That would've been cool, though! :D

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

Heat was the reason why we never saw a 4GHz stock Pentium 4, Intel didn't want to make a 220W CPU so Netburst was canned. AMD were idiots and tried to go along the same path and look where that's gotten them.

PMSL

Heat was the reason why we never saw a 4GHz stock Pentium 4, Intel didn't want to make a 220W CPU so Netburst was canned. AMD were idiots and tried to go along the same path and look where that's gotten them.

High IPC and low GHZ=Good

High GHZ and low IPC=hmm.....not another P4/P3 or Phenom/FX thing......

High IPC and low GHZ=Good

High GHZ and low IPC=hmm.....not another P4/P3 or Phenom/FX thing......

Which is why we got the Core architecture (and further revamped Pentium III untill then), plus the Phenom range is actually on par with the Core 2 series when it comes to IPC, especially the Phenom II.

PMSL

Haven't been keeping up with skylake. I just skimmed and I think I saw something that skylake will support both ddr3 and ddr4? If so was it ddr3 1600mhz Max or was it any ddr3?

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Which is why we got the Core architecture (and further revamped Pentium III untill then), plus the Phenom range is actually on par with the Core 2 series when it comes to IPC, especially the Phenom II.

Phenom II were good CPUs, they were competitive at their price as the performance was similar to Core 2 but AMD went the "Netbrust" way with FX and has ever failed since. 

Phenom II were good CPUs, they were competitive at their price as the performance was similar to Core 2 but AMD went the "Netbrust" way with FX and has ever failed since. 

Straight up the Phenom II still go toe to toe with AMD's 'newer' generation of CPU, plus I benched the P920 in this laptop against an A8 4555M which is also 1.6GHz, and this CPU was faster and has a better memory controller which allows for *higher* data transfer speeds-which is retarded as APU need faster memory access for their iGPU.

*edit: forgot a word*

PMSL

Haven't been keeping up with skylake. I just skimmed and I think I saw something that skylake will support both ddr3 and ddr4? If so was it ddr3 1600mhz Max or was it any ddr3?

Yea somebody mentioned that and I didn't know that etheir

DDR3 will only be supported on OEM and/or low-end PCs like the gigabyte brix.

Z170 and H170 will only be DDR4. 

It's up to what speeds the motherboards can handle. Don't worry about Intel saying support is for x speed. The reality is they do that to cover their butts legally if you buy a crap motherboard and want to blame Intel for 2400 MHz ram not working.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Yea somebody mentioned that and I didn't know that etheir

If so since you see as my member title I've got about $400 saved for the $1800 PC I want. Problem is that will take a long time. Since I live near a microcenter I was thinking of getting some parts from them and price matching ect ect... And getting skylake with the new MSI M5 or M7 mobo and using the iGPU until i can afford a 980Ti or Nvidia releases Pascal. So a system for $1200 maybe a little less after price matching and getting the CPU from microcenter. But if it only supported ddr4 I may spend more then I want all at once.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

As rock would like a word with you. They have a board which has both memory slot types onboard. Downside is you can only use 2 DIMMs.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

If so since you see as my member title I've got about $400 saved for the $1800 PC I want. Problem is that will take a long time. Since I live near a microcenter I was thinking of getting some parts from them and price matching ect ect... And getting skylake with the new MSI M5 or M7 mobo and using the iGPU until i can afford a 980Ti or Nvidia releases Pascal. So a system for $1200 maybe a little less after price matching and getting the CPU from microcenter. But if it only supported ddr4 I may spend more then I want all at once.

Compare DDR4 and DDR3 at the same clocks. DDR4 is cheap. You can get a G.Skill 4x4 kit at 3200MHz for just $190! That is dirt cheap!

That what I thought

That what I thought

He's wrong. Asrock has a board which has both memory types on it. You can only use 2 DIMMs because of it, but w/e. You pay the price for flexibility.