Apple takes 92% of smartphone market profits on just 20% of sales

Yeah. The price of a contract added about £200 onto the price of any one of them by the end of the contract. Not value for money at all, especially given how much of my usage is via wifi anyway.

Yea, contracts are generally not worth it unless the cost of it covers all your usage and it's cheaper than doing it another way..

I have a Nexus 5 and use 3 in ireland (when I'm home) BUT.. with 3, when I top up by 20EUR I get unlimited free net, calls and texts to 3, x mins calls to mobiles, x mins to landlines and x texts for 30 days.. plus I still have my credit to burn through... So everything for about 20 and lasts usualy about 35 - 40 days depending on how heavy I'm using the phone and how much net I use once the free 30 days is over..

Ohh and I get LTE on that and no data cap and I can Tether.. :D

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

Yea, contracts are generally not worth it unless the cost of it covers all your usage and it's cheaper than doing it another way..

I have a Nexus 5 and use 3 in ireland (when I'm home) BUT.. with 3, when I top up by 20EUR I get unlimited free net, calls and texts to 3, x mins calls to mobiles, x mins to landlines and x texts for 30 days.. plus I still have my credit to burn through... So everything for about 20 and lasts usualy about 35 - 40 days depending on how heavy I'm using the phone and how much net I use once the free 30 days is over..

Ohh and I get LTE on that and no data cap and I can Tether.. :D

Yeah Giffgaff offer some really good things for £15 per month, but I don't spend £15 per month on pay as you go so eh.

Edit: lol I just checked. I last topped up £15 on the 22nd May lmao So that's about £6 per month that I'm spending

Yeah Giffgaff offer some really good things for £15 per month, but I don't spend £15 per month on pay as you go so eh.

Edit: lol I just checked. I last topped up £15 on the 22nd May lmao So that's about £6 per month that I'm spending

Really light user... Handy for me as I'm out and about allot and have no net connection at home.. So this is my source of interwebz (but LTE makes it bareable)

Also, phone, net and such in Ireland are rip off (Though not as bad as the States / Canada from what I've heard..

Really going to miss my 5 GPB per month for gigabit net here and static ip's thrown in for nothing... IPtv channels too but they are all in Russian / Ukrainian so i don't use them..

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

Is this the app store and everything together? Then I would believe it.

Also this part

On financials, Apple is way out in front of its competition. Unsurprisingly, Samsung is Apple’s closest rival although it is still far off in terms profitability. The same report says Samsung shipments account for 9% of total profits in the fourth quarter, meaning Apple and Samsung combined makeup 102% of the total.

What?

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

My work gave me an Ipad Air for free to use, but I feel ashamed leaving the house with it so I just leave it at home all the time. Probably the most useless thing I own, other than maybe my tv cable box.

but I feel ashamed leaving the house with it

Hehehe

Perhaps if Android could just provide a no-hassle experience for the same price with better battery life, I'd buy Android! In the meantime, I'm very happy with my 64GB iPhone 6.

The days of iPhones having industry-leading battery life ended ages ago... It does seem that the iPhone 6 makes less sacrifices in terms of performance to get there, though.

Still, I'm not touch Apple products until they stop insulting customers with shit products like the new MacBook, and the sort out the situation with Foxconn.

*CLAP**CLAP**CLAP**CLAP**CLAP**CLAP**CLAP**CLAP* Good on apple for being profitable *CLAP**CLAP**CLAP**CLAP**CLAP**CLAP*

BAD APPLE! BAD! 

How dare you try to turn a profit....greedy pigs. 

Is that purely phone sales or entire ecosystem sales?

I want to say phones....although that's just my guess. Granted their $40 lightning cable (*sigh*) will add up very quickly...

The days of iPhones having industry-leading battery life ended ages ago... It does seem that the iPhone 6 makes less sacrifices in terms of performance to get there, though.

Still, I'm not touch Apple products until they stop insulting customers with shit products like the new MacBook, and the sort out the situation with Foxconn.

Apple isn't forcing you to buy a new MacBook nor are they removing the other options -- they're merely giving consumers another option....So Apple used to get shit on for not giving people options and now they get shit on for giving people options -- that sounds about right. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Really light user... Handy for me as I'm out and about allot and have no net connection at home.. So this is my source of interwebz (but LTE makes it bareable)

Also, phone, net and such in Ireland are rip off (Though not as bad as the States / Canada from what I've heard..

Really going to miss my 5 GPB per month for gigabit net here and static ip's thrown in for nothing... IPtv channels too but they are all in Russian / Ukrainian so i don't use them..

Yeah. Different services for different uses :)

Saying that about the iPhone though, the landscape has changed a lot since I was in the market for a phone. If there weren't specific things I wanted from iOS, the HTC One M9 is a much better price than the M8 was and is about £50 less than the iPhone 6 now.

BAD APPLE! BAD! 

How dare you try to turn a profit....greedy pigs. 

I want to say phones....although that's just my guess. Granted their $40 lightning cable (*sigh*) will add up very quickly...

Apple isn't forcing you to buy a new MacBook nor are they removing the other options -- they're merely giving consumers another option....So Apple used to get shit on for not giving people options and now they get shit on for giving people options -- that sounds about right. 

I wasnt being sarcastic. 

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

I wasnt being sarcastic. 

I know :) 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Probably more tbh. The Samsung Galaxy S6 was much more expensive than the iPhone 6 when I was looking for an upgrade. In fact it was the most expensive of any brand -- HTC was somewhere between them and Apple was the cheapest of the three.

but the base model has 32GB of storage and a 1440p display and apple's base model is 16GB and has a 1080p display. also i dont know about conditions at samsung manufacturing plants but i heard the apple ones are pretty bad considering they have to install nets to stop people from killing themselves 

but the base model has 32GB of ram and a 1440p display and apple's base model is 16GB and has a 1080p display

Couldn't care less about the screen resolution tbh. Anything over 720p is overkill on a screen this size.

Couldn't care less about the screen resolution tbh. Anything over 720p is overkill on a screen this size.

samsung has their gearVR so the resolution is important for that

but the base model has 32GB of ram and a 1440p display and apple's base model is 16GB and has a 1080p display. also i dont know about conditions at samsung manufacturing plants but i heard the apple ones are pretty bad considering they have to install nets to stop people from killing themselves 

32 GB RAM in a smartphone?  :o  Good lord 

samsung has their gearVR so the resolution is important for that

Given the probability of me wanting to use my phone as a VR headset is zero, I'm not interested in paying more for that in a phone.

32 GB RAM in a smartphone?   :o  Good lord 

lmfao

32 GB RAM in a smartphone?  :o  Good lord 

oops typo but if it had 32GB of ram that would make it worth the 700 dollars over a oneplus one or zenfone 

but the base model has 32GB of storage and a 1440p display and apple's base model is 16GB and has a 1080p display. also i dont know about conditions at samsung manufacturing plants but i heard the apple ones are pretty bad considering they have to install nets to stop people from killing themselves 

In Apple's defense, not including 32gb in the base model is a very smart marketing strategy -- one that wouldn't work well with Android because either the phone will support SD cards, in which case the buyer won't pay for the model with more storage, or the phone won't support SD cards in which case the number of Android users who would consider buying the phone is already diminished. 

Agreed. Far more important than the resolution is how the screen actually looks -- and the iPhone's screen happens to be one of the best imo. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

The problem with Android (in terms of profit, at least) is the same software is available on cheaper devices, so you don't have to buy the flagship.

I think Fragmentation is really what drives a stake into Android's chest cavity (if it actually had one of those). I mean my Moto G 2014 is a cheaper device yes, but it provides an almost stock Android experience.

When someone picks up an iPad and an iPhone the OS they're running is visually and functionally the same. Whereas if someone picked up a Nexus 9 and an LG G4 or Samsung Galaxy S6 the experience is far different that one might think that they're running two or three different OSes (if they didn't know that in fact both of them run Android)

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Foxconn is old news sorted out years ago, and besides it's not like all the mono makers who have assembly lines at FoxConn are any more innocent. And lastly, I still get better battery life with my iPhone 6 than my little brother with the LG G4 or my friend with the Galaxy S5. I don't care what the benchmarks say. My experience says the iPhone is perfectly fine. And Android has a multitude of OS issues right now under Lollipop. Apple doesn't make that kind of mistake. I've never had a good experience with Android, and I'm always willing to give the next iteration a try, but the premise remains.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

It's $100 more for each storage option due to the larger size. Not saying it's justified, but it is definitely 1 tier up in the sales structure.

The 6+ isn't really a cheaper or more expensive tier of the same class of product, it's a phablet. I mean you could consider it range differentiation, but I was more talking about differentiation by price and tier. I consider them both flagships. Also the 6S is more the next iteration than anything else. It's like the 4 and the 4S. I misspoke before -- the 5 was released quite a while before the 5S and 5C, so they are different sub-generations rather than concurrent releases. The 5S and 5C were different concurrent tiers, though.

Yeah. The price of a contract added about £200 onto the price of any one of them by the end of the contract. Not value for money at all, especially given how much of my usage is via wifi anyway.

I think having a disapproving opinion of Apple on this forum is about least edgy thing imaginable, short of going to Sega HQ in the early 90s and saying "NINTENDO, EH >:|"

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I think Fragmentation is really what drives a stake into Android's chest cavity (if it actually had one of those). I mean my Moto G 2014 is a cheaper device yes, but it provides an almost stock Android experience.

When someone picks up an iPad and an iPhone the OS they're running is visually and functionally the same. Whereas if someone picked up a Nexus 9 and an LG G4 or Samsung Galaxy S6 the experience is far different that one might think that they're running two or three different OSes (if they didn't know that in fact both of them run Android)

Fragmentation and undercutting. Apple's best friend is the fact that it controls prices and as such it's product don't become devalued the day after the release compared to the Android market where there is a plethora of devices and each one undercuts every other one and constantly going on sale to the point where you know if you wait long enough you can get an Android device for basically free. Think about what steam has done with PC gaming, I won't buy any game (excluding a few that I'm desperate to play) unless it's at least 75% off because I know if I wait long enough it will eventually happen.

Foxconn is old news sorted out years ago, and besides it's not like all the mono makers who have assembly lines at FoxConn are any more innocent. And lastly, I still get better battery life with my iPhone 6 than my little brother with the LG G4 or my friend with the Galaxy S5. I don't care what the benchmarks say. My experience says the iPhone is perfectly fine. And Android has a multitude of OS issues right now under Lollipop. Apple doesn't make that kind of mistake. I've never had a good experience with Android, and I'm always willing to give the next iteration a try, but the premise remains.

iOS 8 wasn't exactly a perfectly stable OS -- although I've never had an issue with it nor has it ever crashed on me (other than one a friend sent that stupid message :unsure:) 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler