i7-6700k vs i7-4790k Devil Canyon. Skylake 10% - 29% performance increase over Devil Canyon!

JerkyMcDilerino

Why are they still 4 cores damn it, it's time to move to 8 Cores all across. 

Edit : all of you stop quoting me to say 8 cores doesn't matter, i'm a heavy reader and editing user, if i am buying i7's for my work flow, i should be getting 8 cores out of i7's not still the same old 4 cores. and that too if i am buying the top of the line processors like 6700k 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

If you read the report the 29% increase is only on GPU part of the chip.

Test ideas by experiment and observation; build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail; follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything.

Not really...  :lol: 

If you read the report the 29% increase is only on GPU part of the chip.

Nope, its the chip overall performance. 

Posting CoC, please supply your own opinion on the matter rather than just posting links.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

You should really read this: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11724-read-before-posting-in-this-section/

Include quotes, pictures and your own thought on this in your thread.

And I think this is already posted here:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/404404-benchmarks-of-the-skylake-i7-6700k-have-emerged-only-marginally-faster-than-4790k/

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Wait why?

Because 8 is more than 4

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Intel JUST started putting 8 core CPUs for x99 extreme edition

These are CONSUMER CPUs

Not freaking server or enthusiast CPUs

There is absolutely no benefit to having 16 threads for 99% of the people buying these CPUs and it would just make the prices go up

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Sooooo how about a real use case scenario instead of some synthetic Bullpoop benchmarks? Yeah, just as I thought, the difference in real use cases would be minimal. The CPU race for desktop is long dead. Now it's a power use race, which uses less power... Which is something no one really cares about on their desktop PC. :)

Why when most tasks don't even use 4?

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

Intel JUST started putting 8 core CPUs for x99 extreme edition

These are CONSUMER CPUs

Not freaking server or enthusiast CPUs

There is absolutely no benefit to having 16 threads for 99% of the people buying these CPUs and it would just make the prices go up

you know people said the same when there were only dual cores all across,  it's not like Intel is for atheist anymore, they are not impressing them as it is,  the i7's should have been 8 cores, no benefit? have you rendered anything with 8 cores? you know how much difference there is with a 4 core ?

if i am buying an i7 series of work production, i should be getting as 8 core, still having an i7 4 cores even with the high end is just stupid at this point 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Why when most tasks don't even use 4?

people buy i7's for editing and rendering, i am not buying xeons for them i will buy an i7's and 8 cores do matter, stop just thinking about normal applications and gaming. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

people buy i7's for editing and rendering, i am not buying xeons for them i will buy an i7's and 8 cores do matter, stop just thinking about normal applications and gaming. 

Then they can get a Xeon or an LGA 2011 CPU? 

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

Go get a job at WCCF with your stupid clickbait title

I will take that as a bs compliment sir. As least i got a job to take care of my life rather than asking  parent for money and you know they will say no.  Also, i think 29% increase is astonishing how Intel can manage that while AMD haven't got their toy up and running yet. 

you know people said the same when there were only dual cores all across,  it's not like Intel is for atheist anymore, they are not impressing them as it is,  the i7's should have been 8 cores, no benefit? have you rendered anything with 8 cores? you know how much difference there is with a 4 core ?

if i am buying an i7 series of work production, i should be getting as 8 core, still having an i7 4 cores even with the high end is just stupid at this point 

I have an i7 with 4 cores and 8 threads and it works perfectly fine for rendering

Do you know how few people render videos? Like 0.01% of the people who buy i5s and i7s

If you are doing rendering for a living then you can afford to buy an 8 core extreme edition or 18 core xeon

Stop complaining about not enough cores on the consumer chips because I highly doubt people want to pay 2x more for something useless in gaming

If you need 8 cores go buy yourself a 5960x

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

They should have pushed to 6 cores at least. Or i5 6 core, i7 8 core or something like that.

This "there is no use for more cores" argument is stupid as hell. Well, there was no use when people went from single to dual core and from dual to quad core, but look where we are now! There is use, as soon as most consumers have CPUs with more cores, the software developers will have to code for more cores. A Steam hardware research showed most consumers using dual cores and quad cores, until that changes, you won't see software (unless it's professional) that can utilize more cores and that WILL happen when Intel decides it's time to add more cores.

There are products for that use-case, and being an esoteric use case most people don't care about you have to pay for it by going X99.

And you know what, most people are good with dual cores. Most people do not need more than a Pentium or an i3. Even most people on this forum who actually stress their CPUs more than most people see little benefit moving from a i5 4440 right the way up to a 5960X.

They should have pushed to 6 cores at least. Or i5 6 core, i7 8 core or something like that.

This "there is no use for more cores" argument is stupid as hell. Well, there was no use when people went from single to dual core and from dual to quad core, but look where we are now! There is use, as soon as most consumers have CPUs with more cores, the software developers will have to code for more cores. A Steam hardware research showed most consumers using dual cores and quad cores, until that changes, you won't see software (unless it's professional) that can utilize more cores and that WILL happen when Intel decides it's time to add more cores.

The hardware that already exists is way ahead of the needs of software. You're acting like the hardware most people have is holding back the development of software and it isn't.

I will take that as a bs compliment sir. As least i got a job to take care of my life rather than asking  parent for money and you know they will say no. 

Good job, you actually know how to read the articles now. Maybe you will soon learn of the difference between overall CPU performance and iGPU performance...

Spoiler

Nope, its the chip overall performance. 

In graphical benchmarks...so it's mainly iGPU performance.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Then they can get a Xeon or an LGA 2011 CPU? 

how about no? not everyone buys an xeon just because it's for high end use. i should be able to get 8 cores out of a high end consumer processors. you are the same people who told get an xeon when intel was making 2 cores for all their processor, it might not be relevant you, but it is for others.

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

Edit : all of you stop quoting me to say 8 cores doesn't matter, i'm a heavy reader and editing user, if i am buying i7's for my work flow, i should be getting 8 cores out of i7's not still the same old 4 cores. and that too if i am buying the top of the line processors like 6700k 

HYPERTHREADING MAKES IT EQUAL TO 8 CORES. 

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614