IPhone 6S leaks (identical design-wise, most changes are inside)

Nineshadow

After 340-350 there's no difference until you take color vibrancy and brightness into account. Resolution beyond 1080p in a 5" phone is damn pointless.

And as I said. That's wrong. Take a 500 ppi screen next to a iPhone 6+ the iPhone is noticeably less sharp. (wording is a bit weird, I know) there's no limit to how much ppi is noticeable. It just gets less noticeable as it goes up, but it's far from unnoticeable. 300 jist happens to be the bare minimum where pixels get more difficult to see, but under 400 ppi, many people can distinctly make out individual pixels.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

@patrickjp93 & @shirokado

In a way you're both right, the retina display idea is dependent on PPD (Pixels per degree), which works at a certain distance, PPD is proportional to distance from the screen, so if the screen is closer than what Steve Jobs thought was the optimal distance then you would see a noticeable difference between 340PPI and 500PPI, but at the distance he said, - and it isn't just apple saying this, a lot of studies were done after it was claimed and pretty much all of them found it true - if you're at the right distance which was like 10-12 inches then you really wont notice a difference, the difference will only come in other areas like Patrickjp93 said like colour vibrancy/brightness/contrast or w/e. 

That's also why MacBooks/iMac displays which are called retina are still retina, because they have less than 340PPI (in the 200s) but they still maintain over 57PPD (They are a decent bit over)

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

I suggest you look up the definition of innovation. Because every variant of the iPhone is an innovation from. The previous model. Apple hasn't invented much, but they've done alot of innovating.

k.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

And as I said. That's wrong. Take a 500 ppi screen next to a iPhone 6+ the iPhone is noticeably less sharp. (wording is a bit weird, I know) there's no limit to how much ppi is noticeable. It just gets less noticeable as it goes up, but it's far from unnoticeable. 300 jist happens to be the bare minimum where pixels get more difficult to see, but under 400 ppi, many people can distinctly make out individual pixels.

Nope. See o0Martin's comment. Unless you're using the display as an oculus lens, you cannot possibly see any difference. Multiple published and vetted studies agree on this.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I just want a thicker phone with a larger and longer lasting battery. Why is that so hard? :(

Because a thinner phone is what most people want today for some reason.

I agree with everything you said, but I have to disagree with the one line about iOS not changing since 2007 (when the 1st iPhone was released) I think it's fair to say that they innovated, or brought about new features at a much slower rate then they should have done, and every major update we see features that should have been there a couple years back (And the same is true for iOS 9). But as far as overall changes have gone almost nothing remains to the core the same, everything got updated one way or another. 

And while stock Android is 100% more customizable than stock iOS, it really isn't hard to jailbreak now a days, and it makes literally everything customizable, I even remember running a look a like old Android OS back in the day on my iPod Touch 4th Gen  :D

But without jailbreaking I would probably be an Android user right now, the main reason I sticked with iOS was because I could jailbreak my old iPod Touch 2nd Gen back in 2008 with redsn0w (Which back then you couldn't even copy and paste on, let alone change your background wallpaper  :()

Agreed with everything you say, but I've been using iOS since 2009 and to be honest, whilst there are several changes that make it feel new, it still mostly retains the same formula that I've been used to since using a 2nd generation iPod Touch. Not that it's a bad thing because it's not broken and it's proven to work, but maybe some might not like it, but to each his own.

That is completely wrong. There is a clear difference between a 300ppi screen and a 400 ppi screen.

Maybe if you squint. 

Take the LG G4 (1440p display) and the iPhone 6 Plus (1080p display). If we only focus on resolution, then at the distance we normally look at our phones, then there is little to no difference. The text on the G4 will be ever so slightly sharper but it's hard to see it. If you squint, then yes, there is a noticeable difference.

If we look at the display as a whole, then yes, there is a significant difference between the 2, especially in terms of vibrance and contrast.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Agreed with everything you say, but I've been using iOS since 2009 and to be honest, whilst there are several changes that make it feel new, it still mostly retains the same formula that I've been used to since using a 2nd generation iPod Touch. Not that it's a bad thing because it's not broken and it's proven to work, but maybe some might not like it, but to each his own.

Maybe if you squint. 

Take the LG G4 (1440p display) and the iPhone 6 Plus (1080p display). If we only focus on resolution, then at the distance we normally look at our phones, then there is little to no difference. The text on the G4 will be ever so slightly sharper but it's hard to see it. If you squint, then yes, there is a noticeable difference.

If we look at the display as a whole, then yes, there is a significant difference between the 2, especially in terms of vibrance and contrast.

Really, i prefer a thinner phone because it looks nicer. Apple can pull it off with a smaller battery because iOS doesn't need so much CPU usage, so it needs less battery. This is another thing Samsung fails at. They try to be as thin as Apple and try to use a smaller battery, but Android uses a lot of battery sometimes so.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

well.. That's pretty much an iPhone 6...

INNOVATION

Apple doesn't innovate, they make recipies :P

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

From my personal experience with the iPhone 6, it doesn't need cutting-edge hardware.

It just works well together. iOS doesn't need much to run well and the entire hardware and software works in sync in a much better way compared to Android, as Apple only makes the phones and doesn't make many different models, so it's easy to optimize the hardware to the software. Compare that to the plethora of Android phones with different types of hardware and OEM skins. Not to mention the camera, despite being 8MP, is actually pretty good.

And I'm not fanboying here. My daily is an LG G4, and I absolutely love it. I'm just saying that the iPhone actually performs well on less-powerful hardware, and is almost as fast as my G4. They haven't really innovated much, but if Force Touch is coming to the 6S, then I am interested. My only gripe is that iOS still doesn't really take full advantage of the larger screen real-estate of the 6 and 6 Plus. Along with the fact that it hasn't changed much since 2007. Android's customizability and features is what made me an Android user, and I still am to this day, but I do applaud the iPhone for some things it can do.

This may not apply anymore but Apple's SoCs in the past have always outperformed their rival's equivalents. Apple has great single core performance vs the quad/octa cores of Qualcomm and often score higher on synthetics (although synthetic benchmarks aren't the best way to judge performance).

This may not apply anymore but Apple's SoCs in the past have always outperformed their rival's equivalents. Apple has great single core performance vs the quad/octa cores of Qualcomm and often score higher on synthetics (although synthetic benchmarks aren't the best way to judge performance).

I think it still applies. I think the iPhone is still a good phone even today. It's got weak hardware compared to it's android competitors, but it uses those resources more wisely, for better performance. It technically pioneered fingerprint ID i think, and it's got a spectacular camera, despite being 8MP, it still has a good sensor and aperture.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Nope. See o0Martin's comment. Unless you're using the display as an oculus lens, you cannot possibly see any difference. Multiple published and vetted studies agree on this.

Exactly how fR away do you put your phone away from your eyes. Looking at it other people when I go outside, it's about 5-6 inches away. 300 ppi isn't sharp enough.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Maybe if you squint.

What is a normal distance to you. To me a normal distance is about 5-6 inches away from my face. IPhone is noticeably less sharp in normal use whole browsing this forum

I think it still applies. I think the iPhone is still a good phone even today. It's got weak hardware compared to it's android competitors, but it uses those resources more wisely, for better performance. It technically pioneered fingerprint ID i think, and it's got a spectacular camera, despite being 8MP, it still has a good sensor and aperture.

Yep. The hardware may seem weak and outdated on paper, but use it and you may think that its running a quad-core.

iOS isn't as resource-heavy and has better resource management. That's why battery life is solid even on a smaller battery and overall performance is on par with many Android flagships, even keeping up with the monstrous Galaxy S6.

The only thing that I find odd is the "double-tap the home button to move the UI down". Maybe it's to make one-handed use easier, but iDK. I find it a little odd.

Maybe the 6S will come with 2GB of RAM. I know iOS doesn't need much, but an extra GB of RAM couldn't hurt.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

What is a normal distance to you. To me a normal distance is about 5-6 inches away from my face. IPhone is noticeably less sharp in normal use whole browsing this forum

8-10 inches.

You really hold it 5-6 inches from your eyes for normal use? That's seriously close, if you truly do hold it that close though then it's no wonder you notice a difference, even for an iPhone 6 Plus where it has a 1080p screen @ 401PPI you would want something sharper to achieve an 'optimal' 57+ PPD, you'd be looking at something like a 42 PPD from 6 inches with an iPhone 6 Plus and even worse from 5 inches or from an iPhone 6, heck even with an LG G4 @ 5 Inches away with its 538 PPI screen you'd only be getting 47 PPD, although at 6inches you'd be just about okay! 

If you really do hold it that close then fair enough a phone with a higher PPI would benifit you. 

But the majority of people hold it anywhere from 8-12 inches away for normal everyday use, only time I see myself holding it any closer is if I'm curled up in bed or something aha 

Maybe the 6S will come with 2GB of RAM. I know iOS doesn't need much, but an extra GB of RAM couldn't hurt.

The 6S is rumoured to come with 2GB of ram :) It was part of the 'Supply Chain' rumour. Although still 16GB of storage as the lowest option, would be nice if that was increased c:

But I guess they are reducing the storage taken up by the OS in iOS 9, so kinda forgiveable aha 

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

You really hold it 5-6 inches from your eyes for normal use? That's seriously close, if you truly do hold it that close though then it's no wonder you notice a difference, even for an iPhone 6 Plus where it has a 1080p screen @ 401PPI you would want something sharper to achieve an 'optimal' 57+ PPD, you'd be looking at something like a 42 PPD from 6 inches with an iPhone 6 Plus and even worse from 5 inches or from an iPhone 6, heck even with an LG G4 @ 5 Inches away with its 538 PPI screen you'd only be getting 47 PPD, although at 6inches you'd be just about okay! 

If you really do hold it that close then fair enough a phone with a higher PPI would benifit you. 

But the majority of people hold it anywhere from 8-12 inches away for normal everyday use, only time I see myself holding it any closer is if I'm curled up in bed or something aha 

The 6S is rumoured to come with 2GB of ram :) It was part of the 'Supply Chain' rumour. Although still 16GB of storage as the lowest option, would be nice if that was increased c:

But I guess they are reducing the storage taken up by the OS in iOS 9, so kinda forgiveable aha 

5 inches is retardedly close. That's shorter than the length of an iPhone 6. If I saw someone in public using their phone that close I would laugh.

5 inches is retardedly close. That's shorter than the length of an iPhone 6. If I saw someone in public using their phone that close I would laugh.

i think 7-8 inches is optimal that way you don't strain your eyes looking too far and you don't blind yourself looking at it too close.

Yeah exactly aha, 30cm which is like 12 inches is the closest I normally use my phone, and that's when sitting down, when I'm not sitting down, or when I'm walking around it's a lot further away then that still, but I have long arms so I use it a bit further away then most people

Exactly how fR away do you put your phone away from your eyes. Looking at it other people when I go outside, it's about 5-6 inches away. 300 ppi isn't sharp enough.

At 3 inches I can't differentiate individual pixels on the iPhone 6. I call BS, and so do visual scientists all over the world. Double blind studies have been done. You are wrong.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

At 3 inches I can't differentiate individual pixels on the iPhone 6. I call BS, and so do visual scientists all over the world. Double blind studies have been done. You are wrong.

Agreed,  my 323 ppi on my nexus 7 2013 is ridiculously hard to see pixels on, I have like 3 dead pixels on the screen, and it's all I can do to see them while looking at a black image with my face like 2 inches away.  Once the scene is any other color I can no longer see em, even if I stare at the same spot before changing the scene.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Yeah exactly aha, 30cm which is like 12 inches is the closest I normally use my phone, and that's when sitting down, when I'm not sitting down, or when I'm walking around it's a lot further away then that still, but I have long arms so I use it a bit further away then most people

I use my phone roughly 11-12 inches away while sitting up and 8 inches away while lying down. I don't see how people are using their phones 5 inches away.

I use mine at twice the distance or slightly further.

5 inches is way too close for me.

I use my phone roughly 11-12 inches away while sitting up and 8 inches away while lying down. I don't see how people are using their phones 5 inches away.

Ever ridden a subway in tokyo? most people use it 5-6 inches away from their face...

Are you blind? Text isn't sharp anymore at 3 inches away. 

Well, I guess you'd laugh too much in japan.

Ever ridden a subway in tokyo? most people use it 5-6 inches away from their face...

Are you blind? Text isn't sharp anymore at 3 inches away.

Well, I guess you'd laugh too much in japan.

While my mid and long-range sight are terrible, my near-sightedness is pretty much on the money. You're crazy. It's a matter of brightness and contrast for you, guaranteed.