Retail AMD Fury X Sound Testing - Pump Whine Investigation by PCPerspective

BiG StroOnZ

DCU2 on 290X was terrible and had a high failure rate.

Yup. The block was originally designed for Kepler, not Hawaii.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

DCU2 on 290X was terrible and had a high failure rate.

Is that so? i though after the first revision they were ok. I guess i'll dodge them as i was looking for a used 290x for my sister

Is that so? i though after the first revision they were ok. I guess i'll dodge them as i was looking for a used 290x for my sister

yea.. the cooler was not properly designed as the VRMs had no cooling at all which kills any overclocking potential 

well I guess now is a good time to say nvidia is better.

There's a bad time?

There's a bad time?

Every time is a bad time, according to the AMD Defence Brigade.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

I could hear it whine with my case open on my desk while bench marking. It wasn't any louder than the H100i GTX pump but it was much higher pitched making it more audible. Now that my case is below my desk and closed up I can't hear it while bench marking. 

I could hear it whine with my case open on my desk while bench marking. It wasn't any louder than the H100i GTX pump but it was much higher pitched making it more audible. Now that my case is below my desk and closed up I can't hear it while bench marking. 

So in other words the red LED are utterly pointless.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

So in other words the red LED are utterly pointless.

I think they were pointless at the start to be honest. I always have afterburner open, I don't need to look into my case to see my GPU load.

I can see them if I scoot back. 

IMAG0252_zpsw5zs0xmt.jpg 

I think they were pointless at the start to be honest. I always have afterburner open, I don't need to look into my case to see my GPU load.

I can see them if I scoot back. 

You can turn the led's blue. At least the ones in a row above the 2x8 pin.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Well let's get that off the list. Next time just pay sapphire to make your reference cooler that's actually worth it. Still hope for the Fury, perhaps a dead pump, cheap Fury X to get that EK block on it but why bother

-------

Current Rig

-------

Why are reference coolers never the open type like Gigabyte's Windforce or Sapphire's Vapor-X (on the 290X) anyway?

AMD could just use that all that empty space inside the Fury X for sound dampening material.

Why is this a big deal? A lot of gtx 970s have a coil whine problem, look up reviews and videos. Why wasn't there an article about that?

"I inserted my graphics processing unit into her peripheral computer interface slot."

Again repeating from the master thread; this pretty much throws the "AMD is an honest company and pushes the industry" PR spin right out the window.

If you go through PcPer comments you will see one of the writers saying AMD didn't respond to them and they didn't try to clear the misinformation unlike Nvidia that responds as fast as they can ( immediately ) and clears things up.

I think AMD just fucking lied and them calling miscommunication is b.s.

Clearly the Fury X only has a 3.5 cooler on it.  :P:ph34r:

No such thing as an honest company, never has been and never will be.  Anyone who believed AMD was the Gamers saving Angel of grace is a gullible fool easily sucked into marketing rubbish.

But but but ....

Some responsiblity lies on AMD but some responsibility lies on the game dev as well that partnered with nvidia and clearly gave no thought to AMD.

To think the fault lies interely on amd.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Why is this a big deal? A lot of gtx 970s have a coil whine problem, look up reviews and videos. Why wasn't there an article about that?

Please, do not use intentional ignorance as an excuse to start a fan war. 

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-gtx-970-coil-whine/

http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/GeForce-GTX-970-Coil-Whine-Concerns

There were articles. Countless forum posts on every tech forum in existence. Just google "gtx 970 coil whine" and you will have every source you need on the first page. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

and?

This article isn't so much about the fact the Fury has a noise, but about the fact that AMD said it was fixed and yet the issue got demonstratively worse.  Nvidia made no claims about the 970 being fixed, they didn't even really acknowledge there to be an issue in the first place.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

and?

This article isn't so much about the fact the Fury has a noise, but about the fact that AMD said it was fixed and yet the issue got demonstratively worse.  Nvidia made no claims about the 970 being fixed, they didn't even acknowledge there to be an issue in the first place.

Apparently the reference PCB cards didn't have as many with coil whine. With the GTX 970's case the fault mainly was that of the vendors with custom PCB (and users with shitty PSU, my GTX 970 with my Xeon X5450 and VS650 doesn't have coil whine-even when folding. My i5 4440, GTX 970 running with either my VS650 or CX850M had the 970 running with coil whine that was too loud to bear.

PMSL

It's because AMD dropped asetek and went with ashitty pump on their high end card. The 295x2 didn't have this problem. And 970 coil whine issues, for me, were solved by getting a better PSU.

and?

This article isn't so much about the fact the Fury has a noise, but about the fact that AMD said it was fixed and yet the issue got demonstratively worse.  Nvidia made no claims about the 970 being fixed, they didn't even really acknowledge there to be an issue in the first place.

It's evident that they've changed something about the pump, but it's a little ironic that reviewers think the change actually made it worse. Bit of a minus since one of the appeals of a water-cooled gpu is the lower noise from the lack of small, fast fans, and the Fury X's pump is loud enough with an annoying "acoustic profile" to lose some of that appeal. Still, would have been better to test everything in a closed case since that's a more realistic scenario.

To be fair, acoustic design for this scenario probably comes with a huge amount of uncertainty: how does the user perceive noise at various frequencies, how does the PC's sound insulation attentuate different frequencies, what other sources of noise does the PC have, etc. Still, the reviewers compliments for the fan and criticism of the pump suggests that spending less on the fan and more on the pump might have given a better result. O.o?

It's because AMD dropped asetek and went with ashitty pump on their high end card. The 295x2 didn't have this problem. And 970 coil whine issues, for me, were solved by getting a better PSU.

I think the problem is to do with how 'clean' the power is, and cheaper PSU just aren't as good at lower loads than the more expensive ones (and both of my PSU cost well over $140 each-and I found out later that they are overpriced and used cheap components :( )

PMSL

I think the problem is to do with how 'clean' the power is, and cheaper PSU just aren't as good at lower loads than the more expensive ones (and both of my PSU cost well over $140 each-and I found out later that they are overpriced and used cheap components :( )

It's exactly the problem. The 970, before the vram issues, was the go to card for mainstream non-budget builds. A lot of people new to PC building pick a cheap power supply. Even if it's reliable, how clean the power is and how stable it is has a lot of effect on this stuff. Switching from a generic PSU to a decent corsair one fixed my coil whine problem. Does that mean the 970 doens't do as good of a job dealing with "dirty" power? Idk

Gee sounds like AMD is a liar and a loser. I'm not a fanboy of any manufacturer but thank you PCPer for showing the truth. AMD will probably stop sending you products due to "bad attitudes" :)

Gee sounds like AMD is a liar and a loser. I'm not a fanboy of any manufacturer but thank you PCPer for showing the truth. AMD will probably stop sending you products due to "bad attitudes" :)

or out of lack of funds

It's evident that they've changed something about the pump, but it's a little ironic that reviewers think the change actually made it worse. Bit of a minus since one of the appeals of a water-cooled gpu is the lower noise from the lack of small, fast fans, and the Fury X's pump is loud enough with an annoying "acoustic profile" to lose some of that appeal. Still, would have been better to test everything in a closed case since that's a more realistic scenario.

To be fair, acoustic design for this scenario probably comes with a huge amount of uncertainty: how does the user perceive noise at various frequencies, how does the PC's sound insulation attentuate different frequencies, what other sources of noise does the PC have, etc. Still, the reviewers compliments for the fan and criticism of the pump suggests that spending less on the fan and more on the pump might have given a better result. O.o?

Ironic? I don't think you understand what that is.  PCpers testing actually shows the retail units to be worse than the review sample, they don't "think" it's worse, they "know" it's worse.

PCper's article and testing was done such a way as to ascertain the the level of noise coming from the card and if the claims made by AMD where in fact true or not.  Whether the particular noise is attenuated by a case or only displeasurable to certain ears is moot.    It turns out AMD's claims to have already fixed it were somewhat erroneous.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Yea...the early adopters of Fury X... man that noise would suck bad. I'd hate to have something cost that much and get noise like that. I'm not sure what AMD's going to do about it.