FCC Done With ISPs Making Excuses

jos
The speed and coverage of broadband should expand just like everything else in the computerized world. Because the hardware is cheaper, the cost to maintain the old systems has also decreased, and the cost of providing broadband Internet has decreased, but the price you pay for this service has not. In the past, ISPs have refused to upgrade their systems. The companies used arguments about not having sufficient incentives, the fact that networks were still running fine, and other regulations to defend their stance. Because companies could continue to charge full price for the service regardless of how slow it was, they didn't have much incentive. FCC will no longer let "imaginary" concerns about investment incentives and utility regulations be used to dissuade policies that encourage fast, fair and open broadband. Simply having the Internet working in most areas isn't enough anymore; it needs to be everywhere, it needs to be affordable, and it needs to be fast. Currently, some major ISPs are opposing the FCC's Open Internet regulations, claiming that it discourages the companies from investing in upgrading their networks. Likely, if these companies continue to oppose upgrading, then the FCC will further its support of municipal broadband networks to usurp control of the Internet from the ISPs in these areas.

This is a summary of what FCC chairman Tom wheeler said. Hope atleast this will push faster and cheaper internet in US and other countries will follow the suit

Source: https://www.fcc.gov/document/remarks-fcc-chairman-tom-wheeler-brookings-institution

DAMN STRAIGHT BOI

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Woo! Suck it ISPs! Hopefully more ISPs will offer gigabit some time down the road and not have it overpriced af. (I'd say $50 or so a month for gigabit would be a great price.)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

i think i have already seen this happening wiht my isp... i have wowway and i pay for 50/5 and my recent speed test shows im getitng about 150/10 so yay for much faster speeds... wow is really the only isp i trust now never been throttled with them and never had an issue with them doing anything shady.

OMG!!!

Gigabit internet! $100 a month here I come!

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

DAYUM, Romania is good for something then I guess!

since Internet became a thing, here in .ro, we hold in top 5 of the best internet speeds in the world

I actually don't agree with this too much. The FCC having that much power over service providers isn't a good thing, my concern with the original ruling over Net Neutrality. It's one thing requiring service providers to play fair for businesses and consumers, but another to force them into what isn't fully required.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

PH: 30USD/mo - 5Mbps/512kbps + landline with unlimited calls...

all the ISPs offer a similar package for a similar price... complete with crappy data caps for new connections...

I want Romanian internet...

I laugh

welcome to the 21th Century, USA  :lol:

Romania:

14$ /  month - 1 Gbps fiber optic for home use

Only issue though it is not available in places like Bran. Luckily, 4G hotspots take care of that situation.

PS: Nice to meet a fellow Romanian here on LTT.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Finally, somebody stepping up their game. Now if only my ISP stopped charging me 150 bucks for 3/1.5 internet.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

That feel when 4G lte is faster than land lines for the average american 

2015-06-28_01-32-57.jpg

http://www.netindex.com/download/2,1/United-States/

2015-06-28_01-30-11.jpg

Wow, verizon's ads lied. They are NOT the fastest. AT&T is. Such fucking liars.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I hope my ISP Cox Communications keeps this in mind as they spread their new "G1GABLAST" service. Still waiting for it to be available in my area though.  <_<

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

I hope my ISP Cox Communications keeps this in mind as they spread their new "G1GABLAST" service. Still waiting for it to be available in my area though.  <_<

i'm still waiting for my area to go above 6mbps download.

This is both good news and bad.

The good news being that ISPs no longer e.g. TWC, Comcast to name a few, can hide behind shitty excuses to ignore their customers demands. Also its good for where I live as there have been rumors of either TWC or Comcast looking to buy out MediaCom in the Midwest (USA) which would be very very bad.

Iowa has the country's longest and fastest fiber network, the INS (http://iowanetworkservices.com/maps/network_maps) it was mostly put in place some time ago and is mostly used by hospital, government and other isp connections here and it is increasing in size all the time. Unfortunately it doesn't have any direct use for consumers but will be changing in the future though.

The bad news, though its been said already, is the direct oversight of government forcing companies (ISPs) to upgrade or else which goes against fundamental capitalistic views here in the US. I am not saying that this is not needed which I am happy for in this one partcular instance but it could be done differently.

ISPs have been monopolizing internet here for way to long. I mean TWC and Comcast customer paying $150 US for the same thing or slower than what I have to which I pay $30 US for . . INSANE. And sometimes getting throttled or having caps in place seriously?!? capping internet usage? how stupid can you be? there is not a shortage on data and it doesn't cost anything to have or make data and once the network is in place its not like its a physical thing that can run out so they are going to ration it like water in a drought.... <_< (sorry Californians no pun intended there).

Like I said this is both good and bad.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I laugh

welcome to the 21th Century, USA  :lol:

Romania:

14$ /  month - 1 Gbps fiber optic for home use

and im sitting here at 30MBps for $90 / month.....

HTID

I have a 330/110 in new york for 45 bucks which im happy with

Fedex Ground must be on Horse back, It took 7 days to go 200 miles