FCC Done With ISPs Making Excuses

jos

That link is not relative to what I said.

The FCC in this case, the US Government in which ever capacity that is deemed legitimate within the Law allows them to put an end to Monopolies. Need I refer to what they attempted to do to Microsoft years back when they claimed that Microsoft was creating a monopoly when they weren't they were just out selling every one else.

This instance the opposite, here ISPs are creating Monopolies by restricting the rise of other ISPs and buying up or merging with other creating a Monopoly which puts the government in the right position to take action. A first year law student can see this.

The FCC ruling of Net Neutrality has absolutely nothing to to do with this.

The fact they (US Government) are finally willing to do something, in this case utilizing the FCC instead of the courts, is something to say for at the least.

*edit*

I am not here to debate the finite things that make up government involvement.

My initial point that the FCC or Government on general could have taken a better approach to this whole situation. The Courts have the power to walk in do what has been needed to be done this whole time, The FCC was tasked with the job to oversee any thing that has to do do with communications. The FCC could have came in and filed against the ISPs Monopolization of the customer base utilizing the court system to do so. The fact that the Net Neutrality is in the mix is what I am against, you can not take away the power of the court and hand it off to just any government entity.

The link you posted is in fact the courts telling the FCC just that. Net Neutrality is the FCC taking a knife to Courts back for doing so.

But the court basically said, "we agree with you on some level, but you don't have the power to do this."

But the court basically said, "we agree with you on some level, but you don't have the power to do this."

OK lets look at it this way because now we are saying the same thing but not seeing it the same way.

The FCC has the power as the communications 'guru' (for lack of a better term atm) to see that communications are made available equally to anyone that wants it be it a utility. Here with the case of the ISPs the FCC can walk in and say "Hey whats the deal with all the bad service people are complaining about? This needs to change or we'll press charges and run you guys through the courts" Though technically this a BBB thing but since the FCC now thinks of the internet a utility it believes it now falls under their rule and oversight.

In the case of what they did with Verizon they just walked in and said to 'make changes or else' but the court told the FCC they could not do this as they did not have the power of 'or else'. What Net Neutrality does, is it gives the FCC the ability to 'do what we say or else' without having to go thru the courts to achieve this.

Now with ISPs the FCC thinks that because they 'ruled' Net Neutrality giving themselves the power (which by the way cant happen as this is a Congressional thing) they can walk in and fix everything on their own without the courts consent. The biggest problem here is that because of the Oligopoly issue nobody has considered calling them out on this in open court and forcing the government to take a stance on the issue properly telling the ISPs to 'fix their shit' and get their act together. Consumers have rights that are not used much any more or often. Here is a decent link to explain consumers rights http://www.cuts-international.org/Consumer-Rights.htm 

So essentially I am all for the FCC walking in and telling the ISPs 'fix their shit' but legally this could have been done already and any one entity could have started the ball rolling however with all the crappy politics invovled nobody cared enough to take action. The FCC with their self consenting powers have enough of this we will take care of this issue ourselves. Awesome, but at the risk of abusing said power down the road.This is why I am against the Net Neutrality ruling. Its great something is happening but I don't want to risk the fact that we have opened a door that cant be shut.

A government without limits is a government run rampant. <-- Thats a quote but I don't remember who said it.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

poor tmobile im the only one that actually uses that fully, just used 10gb today and the day isnt over love ya tmobile :D unlimited ftw

Tmobile has awesome service, lacks some coverage though. I have never had a problem with them.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

OK lets look at it this way because now we are saying the same thing but not seeing it the same way.

The FCC has the power as the communications 'guru' (for lack of a better term atm) to see that communications are made available equally to anyone that wants it be it a utility. Here with the case of the ISPs the FCC can walk in and say "Hey whats the deal with all the bad service people are complaining about? This needs to change or we'll press charges and run you guys through the courts" Though technically this a BBB thing but since the FCC now thinks of the internet a utility it believes it now falls under their rule and oversight.

In the case of what they did with Verizon they just walked in and said to 'make changes or else' but the court told the FCC they could not do this as they did not have the power of 'or else'. What Net Neutrality does, is it gives the FCC the ability to 'do what we say or else' without having to go thru the courts to achieve this.

Now with ISPs the FCC thinks that because they 'ruled' Net Neutrality giving themselves the power (which by the way cant happen as this is a Congressional thing) they can walk in and fix everything on their own without the courts consent. The biggest problem here is that because of the Oligopoly issue nobody has considered calling them out on this in open court and forcing the government to take a stance on the issue properly telling the ISPs to 'fix their shit' and get their act together. Consumers have rights that are not used much any more or often. Here is a decent link to explain consumers rights http://www.cuts-international.org/Consumer-Rights.htm 

So essentially I am all for the FCC walking in and telling the ISPs 'fix their shit' but legally this could have been done already and any one entity could have started the ball rolling however with all the crappy politics invovled nobody cared enough to take action. The FCC with their self consenting powers have enough of this we will take care of this issue ourselves. Awesome, but at the risk of abusing said power down the road.This is why I am against the Net Neutrality ruling. Its great something is happening but I don't want to risk the fact that we have opened a door that cant be shut.

A government without limits is a government run rampant. <-- Thats a quote but I don't remember who said it.

You do realize that the ISPs weren't classified as a utility before the new regulations, right?

You do realize that the ISPs weren't classified as a utility before the new regulations, right?

Yes I do.

End of the first sentence of the first paragraph "be it a utility".

*edit - added the following; Last sentence of first paragraph.

"Though technically this a BBB thing but since the FCC now thinks of the internet a utility it believes it now falls under their rule and oversight."

As you point out with the Verizon deal it not the first time or only the FCC has attempted to go outside its bounds.

Edited by SansVarnic

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I have a 330/110 in new york for 45 bucks which im happy with

What are you running, because I can't get anything above 10/1 in NYC.....

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10

Yes I do.

End of the first sentence of the first paragraph "be it a utility".

Sorry. Is English your second language? Your post is a bit hard to read for me.

Sorry. Is English your second language? Your post is a bit hard to read for me.

English is my first and only language. I'm from the Midwest (US) so my English is a bit direct. Admittedly my last post was a bit out of order.

As well, I do have a tendency to slip old colonial grammar into my sentences, my apologies.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

What are you running, because I can't get anything above 10/1 in NYC.....

WAT!? in the city? where are you located. Im on RCN

Fedex Ground must be on Horse back, It took 7 days to go 200 miles

WAT!? in the city? where are you located. Im on RCN

Brooklyn

NYC should of had Fios by now, but verizon failed so I can't get anything above 10/1. At least the city is calling them out now.

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10

I give it an 70% chance that we're just going to see how powerless the FCC really is against the lobbying efforts of large, incumbent ISPs.

That's all well and good but that is all just talk, I'll get exited when the ISPs actually start laying more cable and upgrading their infrastructure or smaller ISPs are able to expand into areas that have been controlled by the big ISPs.

I can't see there being any real change (if any) for a few years as these ISPs are going to be fighting this tooth and nail.

poor tmobile im the only one that actually uses that fully, just used 10gb today and the day isnt over love ya tmobile :D unlimited ftw

T mobile is good, i am now on google Fi so I use the tmobile and sprint networks.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

I love seeing the ISPs getting slapped around, but I'm actually not too thrilled with the idea of municipal broadband.  It would be great at first, but knowing my community I fear that when the network starts showing its age they will be even slower than the ISPs are/will be at upgrading it.

I would prefer to see some new players in the ISP market overtake the giants while they're too busy lobbying so they can keep dragging their feet.

i7-5820k  |  MSI X99S SLI-Plus  |  4x4GB HyperX 2400 DDR4  |  Sapphire Radeon R9 295X2  |  Samsung 840 EVO 1TB x2  |  Corsair AX1200i  |  Corsair H100i  |  NZXT H440 Razer

T mobile is good, i am now on google Fi so I use the tmobile and sprint networks.

im a reason why there unlimited plan can only have 21 gb of unlimited really then a little slower when towers are overloaded lol

I have been to europe, UAE and India---

Costliest connection good 4g. looks like you have to pay in gold decent speed 4g.. broadband is costly can stream 1080p easily --- UAE

Cheapest and slowest connection no 4g, 3g has cut of 500mb and rest speed is 2g of 10kbps (maximum you can use with this connection speed is 2gb/month) broadband is cheap if sticking to basic plans you can stream 240p with that. higher plan may be 360p --- India

Fastest connection 4G mind blowing speed,,, unlimited data.. broadband is fast too. I have used above 30gb/day easily stream 4k