How was your pc building experience?

Ghost

installed a aftermarket tower hearsink forgot to plug the cable in and realized that there is no room to put my hand to plug in the wire. and had to take the whole build apart.

Personally, I:

organized the cables horribly

forgot the I/O shield

broke 3 standoffs

spreaded thermal paste and didn't realize that the intel stock cooler has preapplied TIM, so I had at least twice the TIM that I should have

got a dead motherboard

bought a locked CPU

bought a case that wasn't big enough

bought a GTX 550 ti

Installing 32 bit windows instead of 64 bit and then customizing it and making it all perfect until you realize you only have acces to 3.3 gb of my 6gb of ram

Installed Vista....
Whahaha installed Windows Vista.... "looking to the desktop" I have Vista :-(

Watch out, there might be ninjas out there  :ph34r:

Personally, I:

organized the cables horribly

forgot the I/O shield

broke 3 standoffs

spreaded thermal paste and didn't realize that the intel stock cooler has preapplied TIM, so I had at least twice the TIM that I should have

got a dead motherboard

bought a locked CPU

bought a case that wasn't big enough

bought a GTX 550 ti

That's an awful list of mistakes....

Installing 32 bit windows instead of 64 bit and then customizing it and making it all perfect until you realize you only have acces to 3.3 gb of my 6gb of ram
Not so good 3GB of RAM wasted.

Forget to plug in the 4 pin at the top of the motherboard.

Mount the mobo in the case, then to realize the cpu fan/heatsink needs a mounting bracket on the back of the mobo.
I'm guilty of that

while (true) {

live();

}

not plugging in your hdd's correctly so the OS installer doesn't detect any

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

Forgetting to intall I/O shield. Connecting front panel connections worng. On tight molex connectors pushing one of the pins out without realising. Realising that CPU cut out doesn't allign with your motherboard so u have to take out the mobo to install a heatsink. Not connecting your cpu fan, so u keep getting an error in BIOS. Bending one of the pins on the 20pin USB 3.0. Dropping your processor on the motherboard. Overtightening the motherboard screws. Attempting to plug in 8 pci-e into 8 pin CPU, and 8pin CPU iinto 8pin pci-e. Forcing RAM into the slot upside down. Forgetting to apply thermal paste. Cutting yourself when taking off the side panel. Not plugging in the SATA power and then shouting at your monitor for two hours because you cant install windows. Applying too much conductive thermal paste, so when you install you heatsink it leaks around the cpu and fries your mobo.

• 3 months later...

I swear it has to be putting in the motherboard for me, by FAR.

The standoffs are no big deal but putting the thing in the case correctly not messing up and in the I/O shield correctly is so annoying.

The best part for me is putting in the CPU: You take an awesome piece of small hardware in a slot, push a lever in, it's in nice and snug, DONE.

I always hurt my fingers on the PCI-E clips on the the PCI-E cables when I try to remove them from a video card, just pure agony.

Cut the swearing a bit :P

Mine is the cable management. Really hate myself for getting the non modular version of the TX750. Too many cables >.<

\

I just hate cable management so bad that I'm now so pissed off that I just can't think of anything fun building a computer  :angry:

Greetings from the Netherlands!

Asus Sabertooth Z77 - Intel Core i7 3770K - Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 MHz 8 GB

Cut the swearing a bit :P

Mine is the cable management. Really hate myself for getting the non modular version of the TX750. Too many cables >.<

Is it...really that big of an issue?

Cable management is pretty fun to me actually, I don't know why it is though.

Cable management is pretty fun to me actually, I don't know why it is though.

You sick person! 

For me the best part is placing the motherboard by the way...  :P

Greetings from the Netherlands!

Asus Sabertooth Z77 - Intel Core i7 3770K - Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 MHz 8 GB

Putting in all the parts, cutting the tubing, mounting fans and radiators.

All the screwing and sticking stuff I like a lot.

What get's me raging is cable management, I HATE CABLE MANAGEMENT! ><

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Try cable manage a TX750 with a HAF-XB, so hard XD

My favourite would be dropping in multiple graphics cards.

Well, I think I just like the feeling of it looking nicer and nicer gradually as you put away each cable.

The best part? Receiving all the parts and stacking them next to each other

The worst part? installing windows. takes forever, then fails, then you have to try again.

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

Please take a moment to look over the forum CoC here.

Well, I think I just like the feeling of it looking nicer and nicer gradually as you put away each cable.

Fair :P

\

The best part? Receiving all the parts and stacking them next to each other

The worst part? installing windows. takes forever, then fails, then you have to try again.

Never had windows fail on an install.

\

Never had windows fail on an install.

It always fails on me, no matter how hard i try, it gets to around 98% and boom! Fail, reboot, reinstall.

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

Please take a moment to look over the forum CoC here.

It always fails on me, no matter how hard i try, it gets to around 98% and boom! Fail, reboot, reinstall.

Ouch, only time it has ever failed is when I knocked the eject on the dvd drive :/

\

But..isn't that a HDD issue then? Or the cd/dvd?