How was your pc building experience?

Ghost

My least favorite part is putting in the processor. the fear of bent pins....

My favorite is actually doing cable management. there is always a great feeling when you finish making every thing look clean.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Worst part is the IO shield 

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

Worst part is the IO shield 

why?

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Just the part where I realize I forgot to plug in the power, reset, hd led etc. before installing the graphics card.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

turning the power on for the first time on a finished build is always a lip biter.

Rig: Intel i7 920 D0 @3.5 | gtx970 | 12 gig Balistix 1333 @ 8-8-8-24 | 2x1TB Spinpoint F3 Raid 0 | 1TB Spinpoint F3 |samsung 840 evo|  Thermaltake 850w Tp |

Xfi extreme gamer | Antec 902

Peripherals: Samsung syncmaster 2494hs @1920/1080 - 60Hz | Q-pad MK85 | g502 | Razor Destructor | Logitech G930 | Logitech 3D pro xtreme | 360 pad | Nitro Wheel

why?

the fear of forgetting to install it and realizing it after you've installed your Mobo

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

Worst part: (I have two)

* Almost done with the initial build and then realizing you forgot something and now you have to undo most of the cool build you just did :(

* Getting cut, sure cases are greatly improved (most of them) with finished interiors but now power supply connectors seem to have plastic that is so freaking sharp that the slightest rub at the wrong angle is just a blood letting scene.

Best Part:

* Getting the BIOS screen on the initial build with no issues what so ever and moving to the OS install and still all perfect, the good days (not old just good).

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

the fear of forgetting to install it and realizing it after you've installed your Mobo

lol oh

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Worst, Large CPU Air Heatsinks and forgetting to put in the fan cable.... my hands aint that small !!
Best : Power on, it works

Setting up my noctua NHD14.

Screw those metal thingys that you hook on the fans to the heatsink. I can't get them to work at all D:< Maybe mine was bent or something.

In the end I used cable ties instead of the crap metal holding thingys. Then, like the guy above me, I plugged the PWM fan in the 3 pin slot and had to move it. Luckily I had small hands. Unluckily, this heatsink is as sharp as a mother@#%#!!! Cut myself god knows how many times.

30bitcp.jpg

•  i7 4770k @4.5ghz 1.248v • Noctua NHD14  •  ASUS MAXIMUS VI Hero •  Asus STIRIX 980 Ti •

•  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16Gb  •  Samsung 840 250gb + Samsung 1TB 7200RPM •  BenQ XL2430T 144Hz  •

•  Fractal Design R4  •  CoolerMaster GX650 80+ •  Razer Deathadder Chroma  •  Filco Ninja 2 Red  •  HD600/HE-4/ Fiio E17  • 

I hate the process of cable management but when it's done it's probably the thing I'm most proud of. It's the one thing that isn't easy to replicate by anyone that I do. 

disclosure: I have not yet water cooled a system. I imagine this process provides a similar feeling. 

having to say screwing the mob screws in

I really really hate the case that I chose. I have the Lian Li PC-K63. There's nothing too bad about it, I just don't like the side panel window and the front panel headphone/mic sockets act up here and there. It's great for my temps even with the stock fans. I'm thinking of replacing all the fans for noctuas sometime soon especially because the stock ones are blue LED fans and I don't like all the lights anymore :P

The worst part is always installing an aftermarket CPU cooler, especially one you've had no previous experience installing. I can honestly say I once spent a full day on that alone.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

Getting small cuts from case parts when doing any case work. 

Right now there are 3 cuts on both of my hands which annoys me.

I don't like making decisions on something like choosing a motherboard, where the one you want looks amazing and supports the stuff you want but has a lot of negative feed back from people who bought it because it died or something or doesn't work properly.

I love getting surprised by having a package arrive earlier than expected.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

i hate not liking my case after its fully assembled and changing it out

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

modding the case.... so much riveting and drilling... and cutting

Character artist in the Games industry.

id like to add... i love everything about building a desktop, i like the feel you get when its all working and looks awesome :3 you know, the tingly feeling you get at the back of your neck :3 you know what i mean ;)

Character artist in the Games industry.

Worst part? Sleeving cables, by far. (ITS HORRIBLE IT WANT TO BURN EVERYTHING!!!)

Best part? The fourth time you've tried to boot the PC and it actually works this time :D

Cooler Master 690 II Advanced - I5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz - Geil Enhance Plus 1750Mhz 8Gb - ASUS ENGTX 570 DCUII - MSI Z68aGD65 - Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B - Samsung 830 128gb and Crucial m4 128gb - much other stuff not worth mentioning

• 1 year later...

I've only built 2 computers thus far, but I've had a lot of fun building them. I just get in the zone and forget about anything

How about you guys?

CPU -  Intel i7 4770k 4.6Ghz     Motherboard - MSI GD-65    RAM - Corsair Vengeance 16 GB     GPU - XFX 295x2    Case - NZXT H440  

Storage - 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 ssd, 1TB WD Blue 7200rpm    PSU -  EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2  Cooling - Corsair H80i     Keyboard - KGParadise v60 w/ cherry mx greens

Mouse -Theron  Sound - HyperX Cloud

if course I do. why do you think im here :P

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Same. I really enjoy building them, cable management is my form of "art" if that makes any sense.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

honestly, I get annoyed when I have to rebuild, but I have to build a PC tomorrow in school for a presentation, and Im really excited!

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

I do enjoy building them, unless I have to really rush and get them done really quickly.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)