Teen Killed After Using App To Track Smartphone

jos
A Canadian teenager, Cook was shot and killed Sunday after an attempt to recover his lost smartphone. Cook traced the missing phone to a parking lot and headed there at around 5AM Sunday. He had the sense not to go alone; his sister is believed to have accompanied him. But when the pair arrived, they quickly got into an altercation with three men in a parked car. As Cook went to retrieve his phone, the car began driving away. That's when everything went very bad, very quickly.  Cook leapt onto the driver side door and held on as the vehicle began moving. Within seconds, multiple shots were fired, and when police arrived, Cook was pronounced dead at the scene.

All our phones comes with features to track the lost phone. The Big question is, Is it worth risking life? It can be a theif, a gang member, It could be anyone. So is it worth it?

highbury_homicide_victim_jeremy_ryan_coo

Source: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/teen-shot-killed-after-using-app-track-smartphone-police-say-n377331

When you do dumb sh!T, dumb sh!t happens too you 

Test ideas by experiment and observation; build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail; follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything.

......why not just call the police once you get to the point where you can say for certain where the phone is?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

......why not just call the police once you get to the point where you can say for certain where the phone is?

Or you could have gotten the license plate.

That's common sense, that's hard.

He could of called the police......I mean that is enough evidence...

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Yes. Running alongside a moving vehicle to retrieve your smartphone which you already able to track with ease was very smart.

This happened near me. Was talking about this yesterday with a friend. The kids dumb for chasing them. He should have got the license plate and reported it to the police.  Sad it was just over a phone. Knowing myself I prob would have done the same tho.. Not expecting to get shot over something so small..

I think he was trying to get his phone back so he could call the police...

CPU:i7 5930k @4.5 Mobo:x99 Deluxe RAM:32gb Corsair @2800 GPU: SLI EVGA Titan X Case: Corsair 900D Storage: 6x 4TB Seagate SSHD(raid5), 2x500gb Samsung 850 Evo Raid0 PSU: Corsair ax1500i Audio: Asus Essence STX

That's common sense, that's hard.

Sadly common sense is not really very common, it's only in the age of social media we hear about far more tales which feature a lack of common sense, as in this article. Really it should be called rational sense.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

This is sad and all and thoughts go out to his family, but he should've known that when there are three guys in a car and one of you, it's not going to end well; no matter how big or tough you are. I put this down to either having no common sense, or just being too god damn obsessed with your mobile phone. 

Backup your phone, buy a new one, restore the backup, remotely brick your phone so the thrives can't use it.

Then VIOLA!

Nothing lost except something that my warranty/provider insurance plan can handle.

The RCMP doesn't care and won't do anything

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

i think that was his plan to get his phone back so he can call the police

The RCMP doesn't care and won't do anything

....they don't care about theft? The f**k kind of police are they?

....they don't care about theft? The f**k kind of police are they?

Oh trust me. Here in greece if you submit a ticket for theft or even robbery they are like, meh ok we will investigate it Soon™

Oh trust me. Here in greece if you submit a ticket for theft or even robbery they are like, meh ok we will investigate it Soon™

....yes but in this case, he could have clearly said "there are the thieves right there, there's no investigation, arrest them and it's pure win for you without doing any work".

And people call the US crazy

Come on guys you are all arguing like it's his fault.
He probably didn't know they had guns. He probably didn't think it would be possible to get shot.

I can do this, I just want some cake. - Linus Sebastian

....yes but in this case, he could have clearly said "there are the thieves right there, there's no investigation, arrest them and it's pure win for you without doing any work".

And people call the US crazy

*We will come to you after we finish our coffee*~typical greek PD.

Come on guys you are all arguing like it's his fault.

He probably didn't know they had guns. He probably didn't think it would be possible to get shot.

That's just ignorance. The world isn't all flowers and stuff. He should be ready for everything.