Pet peeves when it comes to people building PCs

ANewFace

Sometimes you're 14 and got 800$ as a gift so you can't really go over that.

Witch is why most 14 year olds don't actually buy there os lol

We all have them, those things that drive you crazy when other people do them. I have two things that people who are building PCs do, that drive me insane. 

1. People who build a $500-$600 PC and spend $100+ on a case. At that price range you should try to squeeze every bit of performance you can out of your PC, if you spend that much of your budget on a case that is just stupid. You loose so much performance for the outside of you PC to look good. I wouldn't recommend spending that much on case unless you are spending $1000+.

2. People who have VERY strict budgets. The people who say, for example, give me a $800 build and you give them something that costs $820, and they say, "That's to expensive I can't go over $800." That's ridicules you can spend $20 more to get something better. And don't say you don't have the money for it, you can get $20. The same thing goes for components, people will say, "I need a GPU that costs $330." You give them a 970 for $350, and they say they can't go that high, yes you can.  

Those are my two biggest pet peeves. What are some of your guys? 

Edit: Just thought of another one. People who don't put their GPU in the top slot.

Edit 2: Guys who get a locked CPU and, (A) (this one is the least bad) Put them in a Z series board, ( B ) put expensive cooling on them like H100is and NH-D15s, ( C ) Put them in a really expensive motherboard. I saw this guy the other day who had a i5 4590 on a sabertooth Z97 with a Dark Rock 3.

Edit 3: When people buy overclockable CPUs put them on a Z series board and water cool them, but don't overclock. Also when people don't OC GPUs when they can. The worst of all is people who get high end systems water cool them and then don't overclock. Saw a guy yesterday who had a 5690X 980 ti SLI build that was custom water cooled and he didn't overclock

Edit 4: When the GPU is not the most expensive part of a gaming PC. The GPU needs to be the most expensive part, some people (including Jayztwocents) recommend spending 1/3 of your budget on your GPU. I hate people that get a rig strictly for gaming and get something like a 4790K and 750ti and are like "OMG BEST GAMING RIG EVER!!! I HAVE A I7 I WILL FING KILL YOU PEOPLE WITH I5S AND 970s EVEN THOUGH OUR RIGS COST THE SAME!!!!!!" cough* half of the people on PCPP cough* cough*

Edit 5: When people get X99 for gaming (unless you need it for 3-way or 4-way SLI). Any X99 CPU ties a 4790K in gaming, it's a complete waste to buy a more expensive Mobo, RAM, and CPU for gaming.

Edit 6: When people get to much RAM for gaming. Most will say 8gb is enough for gaming and it is, but if you want to go 16gb that's not to bad. But people who go to 32gb, or 64gb for gaming only, is a complete waste.

Edit 7: When people get to much RAM on a low end gaming build. People who spend $600 on a PC and get 16gb of RAM. Completely stupid, you should try to get more performance, something more RAM will not get you.

Edit 8: When people get a 5930K over a 5820K, when they don't need the PCI lanes. The 5820K and 5930K are identical CPUs except for the 5820K has 28 lanes, and the 5930K has 40 lanes. Only other difference is the 5930K is clocked 200mhz higher, but you can OC the 5820K to that in 2s with no extra voltage. So if you are getting an X99 rig with one GPU and no other PCI devices, then a 5930K is completely pointless over a 5820K

1. So what if people like an expensive case? It's personal preference. 

2. That's not ridiculous at all. If people can only spend $800, then obviously they can't spend $820... 

My personal pet peeve, when people influence their own opinion on people's builds, rather than sticking to the facts and specs. 

Some people have parents who say that they would give 800 but not 820

Some like me get hand me downs and had/have to deal with it.. (Until October xD can't wait)

Some people have parents who say that they would give 800 but not 820

Witch is why most 14 year olds don't actually buy there os lol

Sometimes you're 14 and got 800$ as a gift so you can't really go over that.

You can get $20 from somewhere that is BS if you say you can't

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

Or wait like another week. Or do what I'm currently doing, buy the main components to get the pc running then buy things when you get the money. Like a graphics card, I'm playing csgo and half life on integrated graphics, it sucks but they et me by until I can buy my GPU and 144hz monitor.

Also not going over budget by $20 is just being impatient.

What people call a SFF case like a Prodigy is no SFF... I love the Element Q, but it is just 1 slot & to low for a Reg. GPU anyway... It is a real shame it is to low & one slot, be a awesone small game system... Anyway, there is the SG05, not sure why there isn't any shobox sized mATX case, like why is it they asume mATX owners want 2 ODDs? Leave 1 ODD of a SG01 & you have a 7 inch tall mATX case...

GIGABYTE B550I AORUS PRO AX (AM4 AMD/B550/Mini-Itx/Dual M.2/SATA 6Gb/s/USB 3.2 Gen 1/WiFi 6/2.5 GbE LAN/PCIe4.0/Realtek ALC1220-Vb/DisplayPort 1.4/2xHDMI 2.0B/RGB Fusion 2.0/DDR4/Gaming Motherboard) ,AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-core, 16-Thread Unlocked 4.7 GHz, TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz (PC4 25600) Ram, EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC Gaming, 08G-P5-3663-KL, 8GB GDDR6, Metal Backplate, LHR

No you can't when you're young. I'm 17 and if I ask my mom to give 20$ for buying a pc or parts she's going to say no, wether I'm 17 or 10.

No you can't when you're young. I'm 17 and if I ask my mom to give 20$ for buying a pc or parts she's going to say no, wether I'm 17 or 10.

I think he means by doing chores (if your parents pay you for it), maybe mowing grass or some side or odd job that a kid can do to make some money. When I was 17 I had a job, I didn't depend on anyone but myself for money. If you're younger than hell I used to mow the grass for my neighbors for $10 each. That was $30/week I made before I got a real job before I was 16.

My only pet peve tbh is Corsair PSU's. My CX600M was faulty and happily replaced it for a Cooler Master GXII 650W. I heard these PSU's last for years on end and I fully believe them because everything runs so great. :3

I had a Cooler Master GX650 in my first gaming rig a year ago. It killed two graphics cards on me in less than a year of use. That particular model uses a group voltage regulator design that can't properly handle cross-loads. In Techpowerup's review, it actually failed their cross-load tests. http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/CoolerMaster/GX650W_Bronze/5.html   

I would highly suggest selling that PSU or returning it. It is totally worth spending the extra money for something that's of much better quality and it really pays to do your research, especially when it comes to PSUs. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

My Pet Peeve:

People thinking all Open-Source Software is Free. (For Instance: Red-Hat-Enterprise or SUSE Enterprise (Damn Novell be Pricey!))

People who spend $200 On a PC.  And then $100 On an OS.

The People who think Linux is still in-mature.

People who think Mac & Windows Are The Only Operating Systems.

People who say Windows is still the largest OS... Haha, ever heard of Servers?!

Top-10 Linux Operating System Lists.

Systems Users not named using the "sysadmin, sysuser" rule.

When people say which mobile OS is more secure. (If you care so much, go get your self a damn simon or DynaTAC!)

People who pay $50 US for Anti-Virus. Monthly. (Heya Norton & Intel Security!)

People who mess up "CPU" and "Computer Tower".

When people buy a $200 Computer, and then complain that it is slow.

Or wait like another week. Or do what I'm currently doing, buy the main components to get the pc running then buy things when you get the money. Like a graphics card, I'm playing csgo and half life on integrated graphics, it sucks but they et me by until I can buy my GPU and 144hz monitor.

Also not going over budget by $20 is just being impatient.

some people don't get pocket money......

I'm not saying pocket money, I'm saying doing something for work to make money to support your hobby.

some children are too young, and some parents don't allow children to work

some children are too young, and some parents don't allow children to work

Not even mowing grass or odd jobs around your neighborhood?

I feel sorry for the kids then.

1. Ridiculously flashy BIOS skins.
  2. Super bright LEDs
  3. Anything with the RoG logo, or "GAMING" in a big font (just a personal preference, but I don't think it looks very professional)
  4. Good-looking computers on messy desks
  5. Huge cases with very few components

You would wanna kill me.

1. Some flashy skins sometimes look good.

2. Sure, but some LEDs are pretty subtle.

3. I quite the ROG logo.

4. Haha, i bend this rule so much. I got a nice PC, but my desk is literally a landfill.

5. I quite like large cases, though yeah, it's a waste if few components go in it.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Not even mowing grass or odd jobs around your neighborhood?

I feel sorry for the kids then.

I know some parents don't even pay their kids for mowing grass

I know some parents don't even pay their kids for mowing grass

aka my parents. free labor isn't cool at all.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

and my parents........ the only thing they pay for is computer repair.

My parents never pay me for anything. pretty stupid if you ask me. then again, they're asian, they're like super strict

Pet peeve when they want a $1500 PC and end up only using it for daily use and League of Legends, but hey, not my moneyz.

Wait, I do that.  :huh:

and my parents........ the only thing they pay for is computer repair.

My parents never pay me for anything. pretty stupid if you ask me. then again, they're asian, they're like super strict

Well, I wouldn't ever expect to be paid for doing chores.

It's more of a "if your parents pay you then OK, but if not then OK" kind of thing.

Well, I wouldn't ever expect to be paid for doing chores.

It's more of a "if your parents pay you then OK, but not then OK" kind of thing.

yes but my the parents never pay unless if it something to do with computers.....and their computers are now working perfectly

I didn't know people were stupid enough to do things like that.  Lol.

People are plenty kinds of stupid...

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

I think he means by doing chores (if your parents pay you for it), maybe mowing grass or some side or odd job that a kid can do to make some money. When I was 17 I had a job, I didn't depend on anyone but myself for money. If you're younger than hell I used to mow the grass for my neighbors for $10 each. That was $30/week I made before I got a real job before I was 16.

Not all famillies give you money for chores.