Pet peeves when it comes to people building PCs

ANewFace

Yes, I'm aware of the conversion rate. Now tag 13% on to that, plus shipping and other import fees. Still costs more in the end. 

What gets me is when the US and Canadian dollar are on par (or closer to it), they don't adjust pricing to reflect that. 

Tax rates depend on the state/province or city in some cases. It's not like they don't have sales tax in the US. In some states, the sales taxes are near 40%, so 13% isn't really that bad. If we apply the tax of the US equivalent of Toronto; New York City which has a 9% sales tax, and the prices you've given me, this is what we get. $499 USDx1.09= $543 USD, $619 CADx1.13= $699 CAD. $543 USD= $708 CAD. What import tax? As long as you're buying from a store which has warehouses located in your province, then there are no import taxes. 

Tax rates depend on the state/province or city in some cases. It's not like they don't have sales tax in the US. In some states, the sales taxes are near 40%, so 13% isn't really that bad. If we apply the tax of the US equivalent of Toronto; New York City which has a 9% sales tax, and the prices you've given me, this is what we get. $499 USDx1.09= $543 USD, $619 CADx1.13= $699 CAD. $543 USD= $708 CAD. What import tax? As long as you're buying from a store which has warehouses located in your province, then there are no import taxes. 

Didn't know the sales tax varied by state. 40% would suck big time. :o

I get that it works out close to the same after conversion. But that's beside the point I was trying to make. Don't worry about it. ;) 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

I don't have one about people building PC's but one about people who think they know shit about PC's but they don't, and I am the same with cars/motorbikes/mechanical stuff in general too. Anyway, this kid in my class reckons your computer performs better based on cost. I told him all together if I built my PC it cost around $1600+ and he reckons mine is shit because his cost $2500 or something, I tried to explain to him that that's not true, as mine could be better (he doesn't even know his specs) as it may be cheaper, but I bought from america at the time when the dollar was good, but he still says his is better, not that I care but he's just annoying. So annoying, AND he thinks he knows shit about motorbikes too but he doesn't.

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

Um...Torrents maybe? 

If someone want's to go that route, then fair enough, but at least leave them room in their budget IMO for the OS.

Personally I don't see the point in spending a serious amount of money on a rig only to skimp on the OS and having to mess around with torrents, cracks and any potential problems that may arise.

I've built 4 rigs for myself and bought the OS for each one.

Corsair C70 Black Windowed | Asus Sabertooth Z87 | i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | Corsair Dominator Platinum 4x4GB 1866Mhz | SLI GTX 780 Classified | Corsair AX860 | Samsung EVO 250GB SSD | 2x2TB WD Green

Corsair 350D Windowed | Asus Gryphon Z87 | i5 4670k | Corsair H75 | Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 2x4GB 1600Mhz | Corsair RM550 | Samsung EVO 250GB SSD | 4TB WD Green.

Bitfenix Phenom ITX White | Asus Z97i-Plus | Pentium G3258 | Noctua NH-L9i | Kingston HyperX Fury White 2x4GB 1866Mhz | Silverstone Strider 550 | Crucial M.2 120GB SSD | 4x5TB WD Red. (work in progress)

If someone want's to go that route, then fair enough, but at least leave them room in their budget IMO for the OS.

Personally I don't see the point in spending a serious amount of money on a rig only to skimp on the OS and having to mess around with torrents, cracks and any potential problems that may arise.

Well in my case I don't have to worry about that since my brother has a backup of a torrented Windows 7 Ultimate that he's been using for the past 3 years. 

I buy my OS every time I do a new build. If you have a strict budget then I could see why you would torrent or pirate an OS but if you're already dropping over $1k on a build its only $100 for a legit legal copy of windows. Not very expensive.

You don't need to leave room in a budget if you're running a flavour of Linux, silly! :P

You don't need to leave room in a budget if you're running a flavour of Linux, silly! :P

While I've done that...I'm not recommended unless you don't need windows apps...

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

People using zip ties as cable management. I hate them cause they aren't reusable and I've people seen torque them and pinch wires. I also before I switched to twist ties cut a wire accidentally that way removing a zip tie.

Building in piano black gloss PC cases. I dunno why they love attracting fingerprints from across the known universe and prolly a few multiverses as well. 

Pants were invented by sailors in the sixteenth century to avoid Poseidon's wrath. It was believed that the sight of naked sailors angered the sea god.

People using zip ties as cable management. I hate them cause they aren't reusable and I've people seen torque them and pinch wires. I also before I switched to twist ties cut a wire accidentally that way removing a zip tie.

Building in piano black gloss PC cases. I dunno why they love attracting fingerprints from across the known universe and prolly a few multiverses as well.

I agree with zip ties. I used them when I started until I found twist ties to be much better.

Also, I'm a fan of matte black cases. I can't stand anything with glossy finishes, when you see fingerprints it just takes away from the cool factor big time

I used zip ties, even recently - but mainly only because I had them lying around. I don't pull them super tight though, that's a good way to slice into a wire and makes it harder to remove them. 

Will be switching over to using only Velcro straps as much as possible from now on in my own PC's. However, if it's a PC you know won't be taken apart much, then zip ties are still ok to use. Again, just don't pull them super tight and it'll be fine. ;) 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

There are reusable zip ties ya know. http://www.ncix.com/detail/cables-to-go-4in-releasable-40-92629-1684.htm

While I won't call it a pet peeve, I do sigh and shake my head when someone buys an a nice case with a window on the side and when you look inside it looks like rainbow speghetti with wires going everywhere.

...... This is why you have a boot disk/stick and just put it aside in a safe place.. 1 torrent 1 ISO.

Oh.. Did I mention I've never bought an OS.. It's either came with a machine, or I use a boot disk that I downloaded. Only been doing that since 1997... Never had problems.

Yes I know. I still dont like them cause of the torque. and 95% of the time you get the non reusable ones. 

Pants were invented by sailors in the sixteenth century to avoid Poseidon's wrath. It was believed that the sight of naked sailors angered the sea god.

You do realize that game are becoming More demanding right...

I have 2 GTX780s in SLI, running with a 24" 120Hz monitor (yes I know you said 60Hz), but I still dip down below 60fps in some games, and if I'm doing that already, then that minimum is only going to get lower as time goes on, I actually want to upgrade as it is. (If I had a 60Hz panel right now, I'd probably still want to upgrade.)

Although I will agree that anything with a "5960x plugged into a TV." I'm a heavy gamer but I also do some 3D rendering as well, only reason I have a 5820K.

I agree with this I had issues with my gtx 670 oc for some games on high/medium so I bought a 980 classified you can say that's overkill but I know I'm going to mod the hell out of fallout 4 so I will probably need it at 1080p

Yes I know. I still dont like them cause of the torque. and 95% of the time you get the non reusable ones. 

I don't really care about reusable ones, I have thousand of zip ties LOL

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

...... This is why you have a boot disk/stick and just put it aside in a safe place.. 1 torrent 1 ISO.

Oh.. Did I mention I've never bought an OS.. It's either came with a machine, or I use a boot disk that I downloaded. Only been doing that since 1997... Never had problems.

Don't let Linus see you say that, he'll tear your head off. Even though I do the same thing...

Don't let Linus see you say that, he'll tear your head off. Even though I do the same thing...

Hey man, I've given microsloth lots of my money already.. I wasn't about to pay $500 for an OS when I was 13..

Right now I got an installer disk from Staples, gotta love having connects ;) its got every version of win 7.. Witch I prefer to use over 8/8.1 and haven't received my copy of windows 10 yet :(

It used to bother me when people would install components without laying the computer on its side.

It irks me when the GPU is 1/2 the cost of the CPU. 

True, GPU needs to be the most expensive part of a gaming PC, I hate people who get a 4790K and 750 ti and call it "EXTREME GAMING MACHINE"

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

If you want to have 100+ tabs open, go for it, get the additional RAM. I'm talk about the morons that say EVERYONE needs 16GB minimum. I close things that I'm not using, I don't need it. Don't recommend it to me.

I'm still on 8. My last pc built years ago had 8.

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

People getting cheapo PSU's.

PC Specs: CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K OC @ 4.4 GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X79 | GPU: 2x SLI Gigabyte GTX 760 | RAM: Mushkin Redline 2x4GB 1866 | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: SeaSonic X Series 750W | Storage: A-Data XPG 120GB  & WD Blue 1TB | OS: Arch GNU/Linux || PC Part Picker & 3D Mark Score

I'm still on 8. My last pc built years ago had 8.

Every PC I build, I use 8. Any more is a waste of money.

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon

It used to bother me when people would install components without laying the computer on its side.

Built my S340 rig with it standing up. ;) 

I bought a 4770k because I could and I OCed ir from 3.5 to 4.5Ghz. I then put it back to stock because the added 2FPS I got from that OC was not worth the extra 15c.

That's a different situation. Some people, like one friend of mine, are actually scared to OC, yet purposely bought a Z series board and K CPU. >_< 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler