Pet peeves when it comes to people building PCs

ANewFace

my biggest pet peeve is when people put together potential builds for people at their maximum budget without including an OS

Um...Torrents maybe? 

You'll definitely hate me - I have a 2500 non key on a Z68 board cooled by a DR3^^ In my defense, Sandy Bridge runs quite hot and I wanted it to be quiet. But not getting the k version was just dumb. But I was young and stupid  :D

Back on topic:

i.) Little 14 year ols brats* bragging about their machine with all the bells and whistles having cost a fortune, payed by their dad...

ii.) ....used for web browsing and League of Legends...

iii:) ...which they are too stopid to properly maintain and hence ask dumb questions on the internet

*substitute with stereotype of your convenience

I just wanna zone in on this; " Little 14 year ols brats". Where I'm from, (Toronto),  there aren't really many 14 year old's behaving like that...Maybe I just don't see it because I myself am 14, but I'm certainly not little at 6' 2" - 6' 3". It's been a while since I've measured myself. 

Here's a COOL AS HECKIE GAMING PC YO

It's good for JUST GAMING

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CFGHFT
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CFGHFT/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5960X 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($999.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($25.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus RAMPAGE V EXTREME EATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($475.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($779.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($177.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB Superclocked Video Card  ($1029.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Diablotek 600W ATX Power Supply  ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $3624.80
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-25 20:51 EDT-0400

[i'll delete my earlier posts about it :') i just had to show]

Hey bro i like yo *vomits on you*

SpOOkY  - Intel Core i7 4820K - Sapphire Radeon HD 7970GHZ Toxic Edition 6GB - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz - Gigabyte X79-UD3 - EVGA Supernova G2 850W

My GrApHiCs DeSiGn TeAcHeR Is GoInG To bE sO MaD

^ LOL

That PSU... xD

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Okay, here's an actually legit pet peeve from me:

When people spread the thermal paste around on their CPU and then complain about their temps. It's not freaking Spackle, m9. I just recently saved my techie cousin's bacon when doing this to an overheating PC. I can't believe it, I esteemed this dude as my computer Guru, but you should have seen me when he came out with a ziploc bag around his hand.

My pet peeve:

When you plan a build for a couple of months not knowing if you're going to get the money for the build in the end.

AKA: the exact situation I'm currently in. You see, my Toshiba laptop's monitor stopped functioning about a month ago, and I kinda needed a laptop because I was traveling to the Czech Republic, (where I am currently), for about 2 months. So I had to get a laptop quickly. Now, my family isn't the wealthiest family. My father works very long hours to provide for our family. So I didn't expect him to give me much of a laptop especially in such a rush. Now, the laptop he got me is not impressive at all. What's impressive, is the price. This piece of Hewlett Packard shit cost him from $600-$700 CAD. Take a look at this disgusting filth. http://h20386.www2.hp.com/CanadaStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=L0P92UA&opt=ABL&sel=NTB

Now what I'm hoping to do, is to sell this thing on Kijiji or something for like $600 since the MSRP is like $580 and with tax in Toronto that'd be like $655. I feel like that's a very reasonable price for something that's been used for like 2 months. Plus I have like $100 in savings somewhere so yeah. This is what I plan to spend that money on: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/9rN2D3

My pet peeve:

When you plan a build for a couple of months not knowing if you're going to get the money for the build in the end.

AKA: the exact situation I'm currently in. You see, my Toshiba laptop's monitor stopped functioning about a month ago, and I kinda needed a laptop because I was traveling to the Czech Republic, (where I am currently), for about 2 months. So I had to get a laptop quickly. Now, my family isn't the wealthiest family. My father works very long hours to provide for our family. So I didn't expect him to give me much of a laptop especially in such a rush. Now, the laptop he got me is not impressive at all. What's impressive, is the price. This piece of Hewlett Packard shit cost him from $600-$700 CAD. Take a look at this disgusting filth. http://h20386.www2.hp.com/CanadaStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=L0P92UA&opt=ABL&sel=NTB

Now what I'm hoping to do, is to sell this thing on Kijiji or something for like $600 since the MSRP is like $580 and with tax in Toronto that'd be like $655. I feel like that's a very reasonable price for something that's been used for like 2 months. Plus I have like $100 in savings somewhere so yeah. This is what I plan to spend that money on: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/9rN2D3

highly doubt you will get 600 for it when msrp is 580(650tax) its used, its traveled eastern euro.. Nice of your pop to buy it for you, I would keep it and save

highly doubt you will get 600 for it when msrp is 580(650tax) its used, its traveled eastern euro.. Nice of your pop to buy it for you, I would keep it and save

I'm not going to keep it because I can't do anything with it. It can barely play Minecraft bro. Either way if I can't get $600 CAD for it, I still have like $100 saved up and all I need for my build is like $600 so yeah. 

My biggest gripe is this,

(Be warned. There is a good chance you fall into this category so prepare your typing hammers.)

"Any build with anything more than a 960 (or equivalent) with the intention to play on a 1080p 60hz display."

Upgrade your damn monitor! Or are you really rocking a 980 with your 1080p display for the graphical benefits of a number of games I can fit in one hand?

The funniest ones are those with 980TiSLI builds and a 5960x plugged into a TV. This shit happens.

Man I could talk about what grinds my gears on this topic for days. I had a detailed list that got to seven before I remembered this one. Cut it all because this is the biggest elephant in the room that everyone ignores.

You do realize that game are becoming More demanding right...

I have 2 GTX780s in SLI, running with a 24" 120Hz monitor (yes I know you said 60Hz), but I still dip down below 60fps in some games, and if I'm doing that already, then that minimum is only going to get lower as time goes on, I actually want to upgrade as it is. (If I had a 60Hz panel right now, I'd probably still want to upgrade.)

Although I will agree that anything with a "5960x plugged into a TV." I'm a heavy gamer but I also do some 3D rendering as well, only reason I have a 5820K.

Specs: Corsair 900D Chassis, Asus Sabertooth X99, Intel i7 5820k @ 4.2ghz, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 2400Mhz DDR4, MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK-X, Corsair HX1000iW PSU, WD Black SN750 500GB NVME (Boot), WD 1TB NVME (Games), WD Red 4TB HDD (General Storage).

Watercooling: D5 Pump (EK Top), 2X 480MM Swiftech Rads, Apogee HD CPU Block.

Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Chroma Keyboard, Razer Mamba-T Edition Mouse, Corsair Viod Pro Headset, BenQ XL2420T 120Hz Monitor.

1: I really hate when people put a Pentium G3258 (or equivalent) with a 980 Ti (or Fury X).

2: GPUBoss and CPUBoss Intel-Nvidia bias

3: People who still use Windows XP

4: Prebuilt "gaming" PCs with a Core i7 and a crappy GPU

5: Computers that are all decked out with LED lights and water-cooling which makes it look like a Christmas tree

6: Loud PCs. There is a reason why I use a fan controller, a NH-D15, and ONLY Noctua fans in my PC (I have a Core i7 930, which runs very hot on the stock heatsink).

1. Agree

2. IDK sometimes true, sometimes not

3. Yes

4. cough* Alienware cough* cough*

5. Disagree that looks awesome

6. Yes

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

I just wanna zone in on this; " Little 14 year ols brats". Where I'm from, (Toronto),  there aren't really many 14 year old's behaving like that...Maybe I just don't see it because I myself am 14, but I'm certainly not little at 6' 2" - 6' 3". It's been a while since I've measured myself. 

Yeah, it wasn't meant brutally serious, as indicated by the *. It just like people getting expensive cars as a birthday present and boasting about stuff they haven't worked for, I simply can't stand that, regardless of age or anything else. I was just going for that stereotype spoiled brat image^^

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

I meant monitors not TV.. I live in Canada.. If I had the 5k for a TV I would totally do it.. Haha

500 pounds is not equal to $5000 CAD...

500 pounds is not equal to $5000 CAD...

No, but here in Canada prices are generally higher, we have hefty sales tax and usually get shafted on shipping/import fees. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Bless those who don't understand the technology.

"Why do you need a motherboard, Josh?"

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

Bless those who don't understand the technology.

"Why do you need a motherboard, Josh?"

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

I'm not going to keep it because I can't do anything with it. It can barely play Minecraft bro. Either way if I can't get $600 CAD for it, I still have like $100 saved up and all I need for my build is like $600 so yeah.

Damn dude that's worse than my 2012 asus' specs.. (When it worked like new.. Dying battery and hard disk :( )

That reminds me of another:

"Will this newer[*] piece of hardware of the same type work better than the old one?"

*By years of advancement.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

That reminds me of another:

"Will this newer[*] piece of hardware of the same type work better than the old one?"

*By years of advancement.

of course it will    *not*

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

The over saturation of Black and Red builds or going cheap with the PSU (and non modular PSUs) and ugly cases.

My dream rig was going to be Orange/Black, though le money isn't allot, and making a Black/Red build is cheaper, and finding orange parts is hard.... I don't mind modding though, I don't have enough money, so yea :/

And why isn't the Nocits 450 available in Orange/Black? dang it NZXT. :(

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler
Spoiler

No, but here in Canada prices are generally higher, we have hefty sales tax and usually get shafted on shipping/import fees. 

No...The cost are around the same to US prices, I know that because I live there. Idk what the tax rates are where you're from, but here in Toronto it's only 13%, so nothing serious. 

No...The cost are around the same to US prices, I know that because I live there. Idk what the tax rates are where you're from, but here in Toronto it's only 13%, so nothing serious. 

*only 13%* mkay. On a $1000 build, that's an extra $130. 

And no, Canadian pricing is not the same as US. Go on PCpart picker, build a PC using Canadian dollars, then switch it to US and build the same rig. Significantly cheaper to buy in the US, plus there's often free shipping available in the US which is hard to come by in Canada.  

Right now on newegg.com the cheapest GTX 980 is $479-499. On newegg.ca, the cheapest GTX 980 is $619. Same thing goes for almost everything else. 

I live just north of Toronto. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

*only 13%* mkay. On a $1000 build, that's an extra $130. 

And no, Canadian pricing is not the same as US. Go on PCpart picker, build a PC using Canadian dollars, then switch it to US and build the same rig. Significantly cheaper to buy in the US, plus there's often free shipping available in the US which is hard to come by in Canada.  

Right now on newegg.com the cheapest GTX 980 is $479-499. On newegg.ca, the cheapest GTX 980 is $619. Same thing goes for almost everything else. 

I live just north of Toronto. ;)

Now I would like to call you a moron, but instead of that I'd like to inform you of something. The US dollar is worth significantly more than the Canadian Dollar. Hence USD and CAD. ATM of typing this message; $1 USD = $1.30 CAD. $499 USD is equal to $650 CAD, $479 USD is equal to $624 CAD, so in fact, It's cheaper. 

Now I would like to call you a moron, but instead of that I'd like to inform you of something. The US dollar is worth significantly more than the Canadian Dollar. Hence USD and CAD. ATM of typing this message; $1 USD = $1.30 CAD. $499 USD is equal to $650 CAD, $479 USD is equal to $624 CAD, so in fact, It's cheaper. 

Yes, I'm aware of the conversion rate. Now tag 13% on to that, plus shipping and other import fees. Still costs more in the end. 

What gets me is when the US and Canadian dollar are on par (or closer to it), they don't adjust pricing to reflect that. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler