Pet peeves when it comes to people building PCs

ANewFace

My biggest gripe is this,
(Be warned. There is a good chance you fall into this category so prepare your typing hammers.)

"Any build with anything more than a 960 (or equivalent) with the intention to play on a 1080p 60hz display."

Upgrade your damn monitor! Or are you really rocking a 980 with your 1080p display for the graphical benefits of a number of games I can fit in one hand?
The funniest ones are those with 980TiSLI builds and a 5960x plugged into a TV. This shit happens.

Man I could talk about what grinds my gears on this topic for days. I had a detailed list that got to seven before I remembered this one. Cut it all because this is the biggest elephant in the room that everyone ignores.

Gaming with: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix OC SLI @1950mhz & r7 2700x@4.2ghz / GSkill 3466mhz CL14 (1440p165hz)
Loitering with: Galaxy S8+

thats what i did. i started with an i5 2400 and put an i7 3770 back end of last year.

it wasnt really enough of an upgrade to change board etc for me.

samsung 840 pro

i7 3770

hd 7950 windforce edition

16gb ddr3

(i have a bad habbit of leaving loads of things open and i use a lot of ram etc, ff alone takes 2gb usually)

Dude I know... Like I could open a browser and not even touch it.. Just let it sit on Google or the home page and my ram usage will creep up.. I've caught it at 5gb used... Browsers never did that back in the day and its totally unnecessary, as well as pisses me off.. The only answer the devs give us close your browser more often.. (Some times this happens with in 30 mins...) Why the fuck should I have to upgrade my entire PC because of a fucking browser.. (Laptop is at its 8gb max ram)

(Be warned. There is a good chance you fall into this category so prepare your typing hammers.)

"Any build with anything more than a 960 (or equivalent) with the intention to play on a 1080p 60hz display."

Upgrade your damn monitor! Or are you really rocking a 980 with your 1080p display for the graphical benefits of a number of games I can fit in one hand?

The funniest ones are those with 980TiSLI builds and a 5960x plugged into a TV. This shit happens.

I will be doing this.. Only until 4k comes down in price.. But I will be running AMD cards..

I will be doing this.. Only until 4k comes down in price.. But I will be running AMD cards..

Where do you live? 4K TVs are like £500. I very much doubt they are going to get any cheaper until 8K arrives.

Where do you live? 4K TVs are like £500. I very much doubt they are going to get any cheaper until 8K arrives.

I meant monitors not TV.. I live in Canada.. If I had the 5k for a TV I would totally do it.. Haha

Man I could talk about what grinds my gears on this topic for days. I had a detailed list that got to seven before I remembered this one. Cut it all because this is the biggest elephant in the room that everyone ignores.

Ever heard of VSR/DSR? If you haven't, you'll have to go look it up because I've already explained it numerous times in other threads and why it can make gaming on 1080p with a high-end GPU justifiable. Not everyone can afford 4k yet and it doesn't make sense to up grade to 1440 or 4k if you don't have or can't afford the GPU horsepower to push it. 

I game on a 24" 1080p (using VSR at 1440) with an R9 290 and I'm totally happy with it. I don't need anything bigger or higher res for now. Until 4k becomes more affordable, I'll keep using this, thanks. ;)

Yep, same here. Will be upgrading to the Fury X or 980Ti's successor next year. At that point, I'll see what 4k prices are like because then I'll have the GPU to run 4K at acceptable frame rates.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Ever heard of VSR/DSR? If you haven't, you'll have to go look it up because I've already explained it numerous times in other threads and why it can make gaming on 1080p with a high-end GPU justifiable. Not everyone can afford 4k yet and it doesn't make sense to up grade to 1440 or 4k if you don't have or can't afford the GPU horsepower to push it.

I game on a 24" 1080p (using VSR at 1440) with an R9 290 and I'm totally happy with it. I don't need anything bigger or higher res for now. Until 4k becomes more affordable, I'll keep using this, thanks. ;)

Yep, same here. Will be upgrading to the Fury X or 980Ti's successor next year. At that point, I'll see what 4k prices are like because then I'll have the GPU to run 4K at acceptable frame rates.

I'm gonna be going single 380 for the year, and probably do another build next year and use the one I'm doing now for media or something.. Current build AMD cpu/gpu, next build Intel/nvidia and see where 4k stands price wise..

We all have them, those things that drive you crazy when other people do them. I have two things that people who are building PCs do, that drive me insane. 

1. People who build a $500-$600 PC and spend $100+ on a case. At that price range you should try to squeeze every bit of performance you can out of your PC, if you spend that much of your budget on a case that is just stupid. You loose so much performance for the outside of you PC to look good. I wouldn't recommend spending that much on case unless you are spending $1000+.

2. People who have VERY strict budgets. The people who say, for example, give me a $800 build and you give them something that costs $820, and they say, "That's to expensive I can't go over $800." That's ridicules you can spend $20 more to get something better. And don't say you don't have the money for it, you can get $20. The same thing goes for components, people will say, "I need a GPU that costs $330." You give them a 970 for $350, and they say they can't go that high, yes you can.  

Those are my two biggest pet peeves. What are some of your guys? 

Edit: Just thought of another one. People who don't put their GPU in the top slot.

Edit 2: Guys who get a locked CPU and, (A) (this one is the least bad) Put them in a Z series board, ( B ) put expensive cooling on them like H100is and NH-D15s, ( C ) Put them in a really expensive motherboard. I saw this guy the other day who had a i5 4590 on a sabertooth Z97 with a Dark Rock 3.

Edit 3: When people buy overclockable CPUs put them on a Z series board and water cool them, but don't overclock. Also when people don't OC GPUs when they can. The worst of all is people who get high end systems water cool them and then don't overclock. Saw a guy yesterday who had a 5690X 980 ti SLI build that was custom water cooled and he didn't overclock

1) Maybe they wanted that case specifically? Not everyone is all about getting the most performance.

2) This isn't that ridiculous. Some people live on a budget and $20 is a lot for some people. Saying they can squeeze out another 20 bucks is more ridiculous.

3) Don't see the big deal but thats just me.

4) A) I bought a locked CPU. I don't overclock. At all. B) While mine isn't the most expensive I wouldn't mind getting another one. Mainly for aesthetics and even lower temps on a locked CPU isn't a bad thing. C) Sometimes the features they want only come in the Z series boards.

5) You seem to feel that because they have things that can overclock they must. Not everyone overclocks. Some people like having the K models of CPU's because of the sometimes higher clock speeds over non K. Just because you CAN overclock doesn't mean you have too.

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

A lot of expected hammering on my comment about 1080p monitors with overkill GPU's.

You know what's better than the marginal improvements to aliasing afforded by DSR?
Actually running the resolution you are rendering at. ;)

A 970 single smashed my 1080p75hz display and no amount of overpowering it could help with the Aliasing present at 1080p as close the the monitor as I sit. A second card and 4k screen has been the best upgrade I had since upgrading from Xbox 360 to a GTX770.

Some good 4k monitors can be found for £280 on amazon. Less if you are willing to buy used. I consider 4k, affordable.
There's a great 28" AOC monitor with exceptional colours for a TN available, exceptional build quality although you have to put up with some colour shift.
There are some offers around on the Acer Predator 4k G-sync down to less than £400 too. We'll all be at 4k soon enough, it's coming down a lot faster than we think. ;)

Gaming with: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix OC SLI @1950mhz & r7 2700x@4.2ghz / GSkill 3466mhz CL14 (1440p165hz)
Loitering with: Galaxy S8+

1. I want a PC that can play every game maxed out. Alright here is one on PCPartsPicker. Oh yeah my budget is $400. *Worlds Largest and Loudest SIGH*

No no, that'll work. Maybe...they want to max out every game on a 640x480 monitor.  :P

A lot of expected hammering on my comment about 1080p monitors with overkill GPU's.

You know what's better than the marginal improvements to aliasing afforded by DSR?

Actually running the resolution you are rendering at. ;)

A 970 single smashed my 1080p75hz display and no amount of overpowering it could help with the Aliasing present at 1080p as close the the monitor as I sit. A second card and 4k screen has been the best upgrade I had since upgrading from Xbox 360 to a GTX770.

Some good 4k monitors can be found for £280 on amazon. Less if you are willing to buy used. I consider 4k, affordable.

There's a great 28" AOC monitor with exceptional colours for a TN available, exceptional build quality although you have to put up with some colour shift.

There are some offers around on the Acer Predator 4k G-sync down to less than £400 too. We'll all be at 4k soon enough, it's coming down a lot faster than we think. ;)

And when the time comes, I will upgrade. ;) It's not as easy to get such items for deals like that here in Canada. We have to pay 13% tax and on top of that we get hammered on shipping costs/import fees etc. So yeah, when I can afford it, I will upgrade. 

I also on't want to just buy any old 1440 or 4k display just because the price is low enough. I want a good quality display with good colors and response for gaming. It's the one part of your PC you stare at the most, so it's quite important. ;)

As for VSR/DSR, I sit fairly close to my monitor and for me, it made enough of a difference/improvement that now when I switch back to native 1080p, even with full AA, it looks A LOT worse. That is enough, for me, to justify using a high-end GPU with a 1080p display - IF you can't yet afford a higher res display or don't see the need to upgrade just yet.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

2) This isn't that ridiculous. Some people live on a budget and $20 is a lot for some people. Saying they can squeeze out another 20 bucks is more ridiculous.

if a person is struggling with living on $20 budget they shouldn't be building a nice rig. They need to get their priorities straight... If computers is what they like(love/hobby) then they can gather another $20

if a person is struggling with living on $20 budget they shouldn't be building a nice rig. They need to get their priorities straight... If computers is what they like(love/hobby) then they can gather another $20

I can see this going one of two ways.

1. They don't have a job or are too young for a job so they rely on allowance or chore money or doing odd jobs to get some money so it would be quite difficult To gather some extra cash.

2. They have a job but are too impatient to wait until their next paycheck for the money to buy better parts.

I for one, have a job but am extremely impatient. I have no budget for my builds, the only budget I have is waiting to save up the money lol. I've saved a few builds in my newegg wish list but decided to quit looking at computer parts until I have at least $4k saved up. Since I keep changing everything lol. Between z97 and x99, two 980 ti's in SLI vs two titan x's(just for the hell of it), and a 1440p 144hz monitor vs a 21:9 1440p 60hz monitor

People who spend 1000$+ and just use it for internet browsing and minecraft.

tfw I don't even play games all that often anymore

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Might not be such a problem nowadays, people who would take old servers that companies had retired, recondition them, put 32gb of generic ECC memory and a cheapo GPU in and then try to pass it off as the "Ultimate Gaming Rig". I sold my old system online not too long back and saw someone doing it with an old IBM server.

By looking at your rig/youtube... that is what you have and do

Minecraft was back when i had my old pentium and gt 720 ... now i play other games after i built my rig... :)

CPU - Intel core i7 4790K @ 4.00Ghz | GPU - MSI GTX970 G4 4GB | RAM - Corsair 16GB LP @ 1600Mhz | MOBO - MSI Gaming 5 Z97

HHDs - WD blue 1TB, Toshiba 500GB, Samsung 240GB(ssd) | Case - NZXT H440 | Cooler - NZXT kraken x61(soon) | PSU - Corsair RM 850W

Monitors - 2x BenQ RL2455HM | Headset - Steel Series Siberia Elite prism | MouseSteel Series Rivals | Keyboard - Steel Series Apex M800

Who says they dont have them straight? Just because they are working on a tight budget doesn't mean they have everything else in order. They might even say this is the budget and not a penny more. A literally mean it. Just because you and others are willing to stretch the budget doesn't mean others are. For whatever their reason.

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

People who build a $250 shit box and call it a "Console Killer" because it can play minecraft at 40 FPS.

AMD A10 7700k APU @ 3.8 GHz  /  Dem Integrated R7 graphics  / 8 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1800 MHz RAM  /  1 TB WD Black HDD  /  ARC Midi R2 Case  /  ASRock FM2A88M Pro 3+ 

Logitech MX Performance / Razor Blackwidow Ultimate

People who build a $250 shit box and call it a "Console Killer" because it can play minecraft at 40 FPS.

but...but..but PC master race  :ph34r:

but...but..but PC master race  :ph34r:

Just build a $250 scrapyard wars machine that really is a console killer. ;)

PCmasterrace indeed. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

1: I really hate when people put a Pentium G3258 (or equivalent) with a 980 Ti (or Fury X).

2: GPUBoss and CPUBoss Intel-Nvidia bias

3: People who still use Windows XP

4: Prebuilt "gaming" PCs with a Core i7 and a crappy GPU

5: Computers that are all decked out with LED lights and water-cooling which makes it look like a Christmas tree

6: Loud PCs. There is a reason why I use a fan controller, a NH-D15, and ONLY Noctua fans in my PC (I have a Core i7 930, which runs very hot on the stock heatsink).

My pet peeve is when people refuse to believe the cold, hard, set-in-historical-concrete facts that you tell them, like an H81 motherboard will NOT allow overclocking on a G3258 even if the power stage could handle it.

My pet peeve is when people refuse to believe the cold, hard, set-in-historical-concrete facts that you tell them, like an H81 motherboard will NOT allow overclocking on a G3258 even if the power stage could handle it.

You sure about that? http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pentium-g3258-b81-cheap-overclocking,3888.html Yes they do.  ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler