The Revival of AMD?

Nosmada09

Am I the only one praying that AMD releases some truly competitive products this year? Seriously.... I have nothing against Intel or Nvidia but I am honestly scared of what is going to happen if AMD continues to fall behind. They really need to step up their game, pull out all the stops, and lay a smack down on their competitors. As Linus said in the Wan Show on Friday Intel has already caught up to and about to surpassed AMD in the APUs market, lets not even talk about the CPU Market, and No One knows whats gonna happen with the GPU market but I can definitely say AMD has got their work cut out for them with everything Nvidia has released so far this year.  The point is we as a Tech community NEED a strong AMD otherwise what reason does anyone have to innovate or make new and cooler products? We have already started to seeing some of the downsides of having such a weak AMD. 

Things I really really want to see from AMD this year: Truly competitive CPUs, GPUs and APUs, New sockets and Motherboards, Better efficiency, Hyper treading, better free sync and crossfire.   

Is anyone else as terrified about this as I am? What are your thoughts and opinions? What would you like to see from AMD? 

I agree. I actually really like intel and nvidia. However, without competition I'm afraid those companies will start to get too comfortable and not push the envelope like they have the past few years.

Unfortunately they're going to have to think of something other than hyperthreading for a cheap performance boost for their CPUs, but hopefully they'll improvise well.

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

I could do without APUs, but I at least would like to see a competative gaming CPU. A truly high performace quad core would be a great move from AMD. As for the GPU market, they are already fairly competative with Nvidia and aren't falling TOO far behind.

Don't worry, even though many people here want/claim/hope/predict that AMD will fall. AMD isn't going to go *poof* and disappear anytime soon.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

fuck no, I want them to be like "Guess what guys, January 1, 2016 Zens going to hit the market" with a 16 core design that has a very lightweight GPU component.

And a side note, AMD doesn't have bad products out.  I think people just out class them too much.  For example, people are compairing the R9-200 series GPUs with the Nvidia GeForce 900 series cards, yet the R9-200 series was meant to be compared to the 700 series from Nvidia.  Or when people compare the FX-8350 with any i7 CPU, because its original competitor was the Intel i5-3570k.

One problem I do wish AMD would address is faster/more product launches.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

AMD is already selling hardware as new that is actually 3-4 years old and they're about to do it again with the R9 300 GPUs. I hope that Zen is good and they will ahve a comeback in the CPU market. Otherwise, i can see ATI splitting off again and AMD going down the drain.

who cares...

AMD is already selling hardware as new that is actually 3-4 years old and they're about to do it again with the R9 300 GPUs. I hope that Zen is good and they will ahve a comeback in the CPU market. Otherwise, i can see ATI splitting off again and AMD going down the drain.

Well they do have "Fury" which will hopefully be a true to blood Titian killer and hopefully not cost nearly as much. As for the 300 series I'm ok with it so long as 1 they are competitive to and hopeful in some cases better then the GTX 900 series and 2 they dont over price the F#$k out of them.  

My worst nightmare is a nivida GPU or Intel CPU monopoly.

It wouldn't be that bad. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Also am I the only person being for a better stock cooler? Seriously if the 300 series is just going to be a supped up rebrand atleast give it a better cooler both in looks and performance.

Also am I the only person being for a better stock cooler? Seriously if the 300 series is just going to be a supped up rebrand atleast give it a better cooler both in looks and performance.

you shouldnt be buying stock cooler anyway. leave them for prebuilts

Everyone I know in tech want AMD to have a revival.. Competition is good.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

I could do without APUs, but I at least would like to see a competative gaming CPU. A truly high performace quad core would be a great move from AMD. As for the GPU market, they are already fairly competative with Nvidia and aren't falling TOO far behind.

True APUs don't matter much to harcore gamers but they serve a purpose. And better ones are needed if AMD wants to servive in today's market. As technology moves more and more into smaller and simpler tech APUs are becoming more and more the front line.

True APUs don't matter much to harcore gamers but they serve a purpose. And better ones are needed if AMD wants to servive in today's market. As technology moves more and more into smaller and simpler tech APUs are becoming more and more the front line.

apu's for phone tablet and notebook??

They could charge as much as they want, and they would have absolutely no incentive to do RandD, that sounds like the worst thing possible for me.

They already charge what they want. $1000 for a piece of silicon to play games with? 

The incentive is to push games farther we demand that the industry demands that. Regardless of competition its Humanity Instinct that we always try to push technology farther for whatever reason.

Just because AMD isn't a player doesn't mean we will be stuck with a 4690k for the next 10 years. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

you shouldnt be buying stock cooler anyway. leave them for prebuilts

If AMD steps up their stock cooler game that means Nvidia will to, if that happens that means the non stock cooler market will have to step up their games as well. This would be a good thing. Have you not noticed that the hole market has kind of grown stagnet? No one really puts out new coolers anymore. Their all just the same designs updated to fit the new cards. They don't have any reason to give us better cooler options because the stock coolers haven't changed in so long. We need this to happen.

They already charge what they want. $1000 for a piece of silicon to play games with?

The incentive is to push games farther we demand that the industry demands that. Regardless of competition its Humanity Instinct that we always try to push technology farther for whatever reason.

Just because AMD isn't a player doesn't mean we will be stuck with a 4690k for the next 10 years.

The Reason that they are able to gea away with 1000$ card is because AMD hasn't really been a player for the last few years. Yes they have had some OK cards but nothing that can really out preform or put Nvidia on the back burne.

Have you not noticed Intel slowing down in there RandD, because AMD is not making anything that is a competitor to what they currently have on the market.

Have you not noticed Intel showing down in there RandD, because they have cause AMD is not making anything that is a competitor to what they currently have on the market.

But in fact Intel has not recently spent as much on RandD as they are now. It hard to say they are slowing down. 

https://ycharts.com/companies/INTC/r_and_d_expense

Spoiler

The Reason that they are able to gea away with 1000$ card is because AMD hasn't really been a player for the last few years. Yes they have had some OK cards but nothing that can really out preform or put Nvidia on the back burne.

And yet people still buy them, a stupid number of people buy them and yet we generally don't complain. So essentially it that example we already live in a non AMD world and for the most part it doesn't affect us. 

Im just saying chances if AMD were to disappear from the earth it wouldn't be the doomsday people think it will be. 

Spoiler

But in fact Intel has not recently spent as much on RandD as they are now. It hard to say they are slowing down. 

https://ycharts.com/companies/INTC/r_and_d_expense

Yes they are spending more but do you see them using all the tech they have in the lastest generation of CPU's, nope because they are just putting aces into their sleeve to make sure they can cover there ass when they need too.