The Revival of AMD?

Nosmada09

Yes they are spending more but do you see them using all the tech they have in the lastest generation of CPU's, nope because they are just putting aces into their sleeve to make sure they can cover there ass when they need too.

We won't see that money comeback into consumer PC segment for sometime. Intel is trying to focus on the mobile side of things than desktop. Why because desktop isn't the future which and its not a direct result of non competition. 

yes they have their ace's, but they will release the ace's slowly anyway in order to keep up their scheduled updates. There is no need anyway to release the ace's. They are currently profitable control large parts of various silicon markets and will continue to make faster, smaller , more power efficient chips so they can keep up in the other markets and that will trickle down to us PC people.  What need do we presently have for a 36 core gaming pc. 

I'm not farther my opinion, you clearly know it I know yours and there is no changing that. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

The console market will be their coregidor. Or they can go the way of cyrix. More importantly Intel owns the OEMS, the tech media and the forums.

Why was this guy who lives in the tech world shocked and surprised?

Also if AMD goes under PC gaming goes with it

75% of amd's chip sales are APU's.

Look what happens when someone says you save some money with an AMD MB .

With AMD I am building a 720 p gaming rig for 190 bucks, already built one for 260 and have plans for a 350 rig. Everyone of them is competitive with consoles

There are some great people here but many pc gamers are their own worst enemy.

Am I the only one praying that AMD releases some truly competitive products this year? Seriously.... I have nothing against Intel or Nvidia but I am honestly scared of what is going to happen if AMD continues to fall behind. They really need to step up their game, pull out all the stops, and lay a smack down on their competitors. As Linus said in the Wan Show on Friday Intel has already caught up to and about to surpassed AMD in the APUs market, lets not even talk about the CPU Market, and No One knows whats gonna happen with the GPU market but I can definitely say AMD has got their work cut out for them with everything Nvidia has released so far this year.  The point is we as a Tech community NEED a strong AMD otherwise what reason does anyone have to innovate or make new and cooler products? We have already started to seeing some of the downsides of having such a weak AMD. 

Things I really really want to see from AMD this year: Truly competitive CPUs, GPUs and APUs, New sockets and Motherboards, Better efficiency, Hyper treading, better free sync and crossfire.   

Is anyone else as terrified about this as I am? What are your thoughts and opinions? What would you like to see from AMD? 

probably because they trying to be the jack of all trades, trying to beat both intel and nvidia which they are very concentrate on what they doing not like amd trying cpu apu and gpu market all together. But without them we won't have a slightly budget option, maybe they should target lower end user creating the best bang for the buck stuff rather than trying to triump at both low end mid end and high end category, just my opinion. 

CPU:  i7 4770k @ overclocked to 4.4ghz             GPU: Intel HD4600                                                                SSD: Kingston V300 120GB (OS)                   Cooler:  Corsair H100i GTX
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolve (Black)                RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Dominator Platinium 2133mhz  HDD: 1TB Seagate                                            Mouse: Logitech G502
OS:     Windows 10                                                      PSU: Corsair RM850i 80+ Gold                                          Motherboard:  AsusZ97 Pro Gamer              Keyboard: Vortex Pok3r 3

I would really like to see AMD magically come out on top of Intel and nVidia for a change. They should try to make a quad-core CPU that can compete with Intel.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

My worst nightmare is a nivida GPU or Intel CPU monopoly.

Wait they don't have it yet? /jk

But if it ever comes to that that AMD is history and they have no competition, there are regulations that would make them either split in 2 companies or share their tech with other companies like samsung, qualcomm or god knows who or something like that.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Wait they don't have it yet? /jk

But if it ever comes to that that AMD is history and they have no competition, there are regulations that would make them either split in 2 companies or share their tech with other companies like samsung, qualcomm or god knows who or something like that.

There's no worry in terms of competition. There are so many massive companies that would all be vying for the x86_64 instruction set. It's gonna come down to an all-out war between Nvidia and Qualcomm, probably, seeing how massive Qualcomm has become lately. I'd love to see someone else take up the helm, seeing as AMD has yet to show whether they've spent the last 3 years sitting on their asses or working on Athlon X2 2.0

There's no worry in terms of competition. There are so many massive companies that would all be vying for the x86_64 instruction set. It's gonna come down to an all-out war between Nvidia and Qualcomm, probably, seeing how massive Qualcomm has become lately. I'd love to see someone else take up the helm, seeing as AMD has yet to show whether they've spent the last 3 years sitting on their asses or working on Athlon X2 2.0

Well Samsung is also in the game, who knows.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

It wouldn't be that bad. 

Prices go up and they may not even be allowed to sell their stuff cause monopoly is forbidden by law.

Zen-III-X12-5900X (Gaming PC)

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.2/4.2GHz, 35,3MB cache (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X(ECO mode), 12-cores, 24-threads, 4.5/4.8GHz, 70.5MB cache (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Display: HP 24" L2445w (64Hz OC) 1920x1200 / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 6600 XT DUAL OC RDNA2 32CUs @2.6GHz 10.6 TFLOPS (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4, Socket-AM4 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W / RAM A2 & B2: DDR4-3600MHz CL16-18-8-19-37-1T "SK Hynix 8Gbit CJR" (2x16GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Storage 5: Kingston A2000 1TB M.2 NVME SSD / Wi-fi & Bluetooth: ASUS PCE-AC55BT Wireless Adapter (Intel)

Lake-V-X6-10600 (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9190pts | R23 score SC: 1302pts

R20 score MC: 3529cb | R20 score SC: 506cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: Intel Core i5-10600(ASUS Performance Enhancement), 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.4/4.8GHz, 13,7MB cache (Intel 14nm++ FinFET) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1.5GHz 10.54 TFLOPS (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B460 PLUS, Socket-LGA1200 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W / RAM A1, A2, B1 & B2: DDR4-2666MHz CL13-15-15-15-35-1T "Samsung 8Gbit C-Die" (4x8GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Storage 5: Crucial P1 1000GB M.2 SSD/ Storage 6: Western Digital WD7500BPKX 2.5" HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter (Qualcomm Atheros)

Vishera-X8-9370 | R20 score MC: 1476cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Case Fan VRM: SUNON MagLev KDE1209PTV3 92mm / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: AMD FX-8370 (Base: @4.4GHz | Turbo: @4.7GHz) Black Edition Eight-Core (Global Foundries 32nm) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING, Socket-AM3+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866MHz CL8-10-10-28-37-2T (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN951N 11n Wireless Adapter

Godavari-X4-880K | R20 score MC: 810cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 95w Thermal Solution / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 880K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Display: HP 19" Flat Panel L1940 (75Hz) 1280x1024 / GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC 2GB (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI A78M-E45 V2, Socket-FM2+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: SK hynix DDR3-1866MHz CL9-10-11-27-40 (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) / Operating System 2: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter

Acer Aspire 7738G custom (changed CPU, GPU & Storage)
Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600, 2-cores, 2-threads, 2.4GHz, 3MB cache (Intel 45nm) / GPU: ATi Radeon HD 4570 515MB DDR2 (T.S.M.C. 55nm) / RAM: DDR2-1066MHz CL7-7-7-20-1T (2x2GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Storage: Crucial BX500 480GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5" SSD

Complete portable device SoC history:

Spoiler
Apple A4 - Apple iPod touch (4th generation)
Apple A5 - Apple iPod touch (5th generation)
Apple A9 - Apple iPhone 6s Plus
HiSilicon Kirin 810 (T.S.M.C. 7nm) - Huawei P40 Lite / Huawei nova 7i
Mediatek MT2601 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TicWatch E
Mediatek MT6580 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TECNO Spark 2 (1GB RAM)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (orange)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (yellow)
Mediatek MT6735 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - HMD Nokia 3 Dual SIM
Mediatek MT6737 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - Cherry Mobile Flare S6
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (blue)
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (gold)
Mediatek MT6750 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - honor 6C Pro / honor V9 Play
Mediatek MT6765 (T.S.M.C 12nm) - TECNO Pouvoir 3 Plus
Mediatek MT6797D (T.S.M.C 20nm) - my|phone Brown Tab 1
Qualcomm MSM8926 (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE
Qualcomm MSM8974AA (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Blackberry Passport
Qualcomm SDM710 (Samsung 10nm) - Oppo Realme 3 Pro

A bit early, but I think it might happen in 2016. Zen is said to have 40% IPC improvements which would put it somewhere ~= Haswell, I think. With Broadwell and Skylake being much smaller IPC upgrades it should really close the gap between AMD and intel in terms of CPUs. Next up, the 400 series. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it's going to be made on 14nm. Pascal is 16nm, I'm pretty sure so it should be some pretty strong competition there. Finally, moving to 14nm means they can cram more in the same die space. Say, as an iGPU on an APU? Finally shrinking the process should be able to shove Broadwell (and hopefully Skylake since it's a 'tick' meaning that they can't cram too much more than the previous 'tock' which happened like a week ago in there) to the side.

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

And yet people still buy them, a stupid number of people buy them and yet we generally don't complain. So essentially it that example we already live in a non AMD world and for the most part it doesn't affect us. 

Im just saying chances if AMD were to disappear from the earth it wouldn't be the doomsday people think it will be. 

Intel and AMD could end up losing quite a lot of money if AMD goes-so its definitely not all doom and gloom-as long as Ati comes back as a separate entity not tied to a company that's completely screwed up both of its product lines.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

why do u guys love nvidia, intel, amd? In the end, they are all companies and all they care about is money, regardless of your support.

Edit: well yea I care about their survival (b cuz whos gunn make gpus).   

why do u guys love nvidia, intel, amd? In the end, they are all companies and all they care about is money, regardless of your support.

Its not the company but the products (I've seen most of the shit all 3 companies have pulled-so its all meh when it comes to who's 'better') that are loved.

Eg. I love me AMD 386DX 40, Ti 486DX 4 100, AMD K6-2 500, Intel Celeron 300A, Nvidi Riva TNT2, Intel i5 4440, Nvidia GTX 970 and GTX 650 TI OC.

PMSL

Am I the only one praying that AMD releases some truly competitive products this year? Seriously.... I have nothing against Intel or Nvidia but I am honestly scared of what is going to happen if AMD continues to fall behind. They really need to step up their game, pull out all the stops, and lay a smack down on their competitors. As Linus said in the Wan Show on Friday Intel has already caught up to and about to surpassed AMD in the APUs market, lets not even talk about the CPU Market, and No One knows whats gonna happen with the GPU market but I can definitely say AMD has got their work cut out for them with everything Nvidia has released so far this year.  The point is we as a Tech community NEED a strong AMD otherwise what reason does anyone have to innovate or make new and cooler products? We have already started to seeing some of the downsides of having such a weak AMD. 

Things I really really want to see from AMD this year: Truly competitive CPUs, GPUs and APUs, New sockets and Motherboards, Better efficiency, Hyper treading, better free sync and crossfire.   

Is anyone else as terrified about this as I am? What are your thoughts and opinions? What would you like to see from AMD? 

I really want AMD to be back in the game as well. Back in the Phenom days Intel was making performance leaps of 25% plus each generation, now that Intel sees no competition we get less than 10%.

AMD is doing better on the GPU front but I still would like to see more competition to push price down and fuel innovation. 

I'm glad AMD is getting the contracts for Xbox/PS4, and the new Apple stuff. Hopefully they will earn some money and spend it on R&D. 

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

Also am I the only person being for a better stock cooler? Seriously if the 300 series is just going to be a supped up rebrand atleast give it a better cooler both in looks and performance.

well the new one is 100% watercooled as a stock cooler... 

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I think we are expecting maybe too much from AMD.

They are tech developers not tech producers.

In CPU matters: Intel develop and produce their own product, AMD not.

In GPUmatters: Nvidia develop and produce their own product, AMD not.

In Mobile matters: Samsung develop and produce their own product AMD do produce some of their chips yet not all. 

In this scenario they can't be on top all the time while earning money.  Let's face it AMD has already done beautiful things maintaining their product affordable (relatively speaking) and competitive performance wise. Hard to keep up in this conditions. 

I think we are expecting maybe too much from AMD.

They are tech developers not tech producers.

In CPU matters: Intel develop and produce their own product, AMD not.

In GPUmatters: Nvidia develop and produce their own product, AMD not.

In Mobile matters: Samsung develop and produce their own product AMD do produce some of their chips yet not all. 

In this scenario they can't be on top all the time while earning money.  Let's face it AMD has already done beautiful things maintaining their product affordable (relatively speaking) and competitive performance wise. Hard to keep up in this conditions. 

TBH, AMD is lucky to have gotten as far as they have, considering their first CPU's were based of designs licensed from Intel.

PMSL

Ok so I've been reading up as much as I find and I can honestly say I'm freaking excited for what AMD is bringing to the market. The new 300 series [while re-brands] will still have be competitive and for there price point see: http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-300-series-pricing-confirmed-aggressive/is going to really hurt Nvidia. And then Fury is coming as well and i have a strong theory that the Fury GPUs will be priced closer to the 980ti than the titian even though they are direct competitors I feel AMD will take this chance to give Nvidia a swift kick below the belt. see: http://wccftech.com/upcoming-amd-radeon-flagship-called-fury/ .  And then the Zen CPUs are looking quite competitive from the info I have found, bringing some really cool features to the game. see: http://wccftech.com/amd-officially-reveals-2016-cpu-roadmap-zen-k12/

Nvidia is shitting graphics cards like there is no tomorrow. AMD's last graphics card release was over a year ago.

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

Ok so I've been reading up as much as I find and I can honestly say I'm freaking excited for what AMD is bringing to the market. The new 300 series [while re-brands] will still have be competitive and for there price point see: http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-300-series-pricing-confirmed-aggressive/is going to really hurt Nvidia. And then Fury is coming as well and i have a strong theory that the Fury GPUs will be priced closer to the 980ti than the titian even though they are direct competitors I feel AMD will take this chance to give Nvidia a swift kick below the belt. see: http://wccftech.com/upcoming-amd-radeon-flagship-called-fury/ .  And then the Zen CPUs are looking quite competitive from the info I have found, bringing some really cool features to the game. see: http://wccftech.com/amd-officially-reveals-2016-cpu-roadmap-zen-k12/

Their current GPU's will be re-branded as more expensive 'newer' ones. I don't see what there is to be exited about when only the Fury will be a new card.

PMSL

Their current GPU's will be re-branded as more expensive 'newer' ones. I don't see what there is to be exited about when only the Fury will be a new card.

Follow the link and check it out. Yes they are in a way being rebranded but at the same time they are getting supped up, better clocks, unlocked, and better faster, and more Vram and the prices are all going to be very affordable and much better performance to dollar than any of the nvidia cards. They should also be running new and better drivers. 

Do you not see the fully unlocked Tonga in the lineup that card is going to be dope, and that is the count to two new GPU's.

That's the same number nivida released at the launch of the 900 series.