Chrome will pause auto-playing Flash ads by default

ahhming

Chrome developers have announced that an upcoming version of Chrome will prevent video ads from automatically playing when a website loads.

The new feature has already been pushed out to beta builds and can be manually enabled by opening Chrome’s content settings and adjusting the plugin content options.

Do note that this doesn’t prevent the ad from loading, it just doesn’t play the ad unless the user manually chooses to do.

The feature is controlled from within Chrome’s preferences simply go into Settings, select "Show advanced settings," then select the content settings for Privacy and then select "Detect and run important plugin content.", as shown below:

Screenshot-2015-06-04-at-11.36.18-AM.png

Google didn’t say that it was blocking ads, specifically, instead claiming to block content that isn’t “central to the webpage.”

Source:

http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/05/chrome-pause-flash/

http://venturebeat.com/2015/06/04/chrome-beta-now-automatically-pauses-less-important-flash-content-to-reduce-power-consumption/

@LinusTech

This post has been promoted to an article

Great :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

OH MY GOD YES

The only reason I use adblock is because of ads that autoplay and have sound. This seriously solves that problem.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

About f**king time. So sick of trying to read an article, and when I go to scroll down, it automatically pops back up to the top so I have to watch an ad about something I either don't f**king care about, or cant f**king afford to begin with.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

They need to make a click-to-load feature for HTML5 video because this has turned into a bigger problem than Flash now. Any website that wants to autoplay HTML5 video, there's NO WAY to stop it. It is infuriating.

Very nice feature, but come on Google... It is clearly ad blocking if you "prevent" ads from playing. Hell, prevent and block are synonyms.

It is a very good thing for users though, since auto-playing ads are awful.

Fucking finally! Auto-play by default should be illegal.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

I wonder if Opera is going to implement this as well. Probably will see the same in the next couple months from the Opera team.

Great news to hear!

Hmmm. If they can prevent adds that redirect you to another web page as well, I'll probably disable add block.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

This is great, looks like I can safely add more websites to my exclusion list without fear of auto playing sound ads.

About f**king time. So sick of trying to read an article, and when I go to scroll down, it automatically pops back up to the top so I have to watch an ad about something I either don't f**king care about, or cant f**king afford to begin with.

Have you been warned by the mods or something? Very strange to see you self censoring.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

hurray my dream of the big ad deployment companies like google realising they need some standards beyond not being spyware

I already have flash set to click to play, so I have to manually approve flash content on any sites that I visit. I've whitelisted a few sites, but most sites don't need flash, so I very rarely need to enable it.

They need to make a click-to-load feature for HTML5 video because this has turned into a bigger problem than Flash now. Any website that wants to autoplay HTML5 video, there's NO WAY to stop it. It is infuriating.

In Firefox, you can pause any HTML5 video (including, for example, youtube) using shift+right click->pause, but I couldn't make it work on yt on CHrome, so it might not be supported in chrome.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a chrome extension that allows you to disable autoplaying - it's something that can be hooked into by an extension (by injecting into all pages and removing the autoplay attribute).

HTTP/2 203

I'm still waiting for Chrome to not use most of my resources 

24 fps for that "cinematic" feel

After a couple weeks of behavioral sciences at my school I can easily conclude my parents need to grow up.

This is great, looks like I can safely add more websites to my exclusion list without fear of auto playing sound ads.

Have you been warned by the mods or something? Very strange to see you self censoring.

I can neither confirm or deny that.

This is great, but then it's google so the catch ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

-___- dude not responding would've been better.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

-___- dude not responding would've been better.

Can neither confirm nor deny that as well lol

Can neither confirm nor deny that as well lol

That's a good one/

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

And I automatically read that with dales voice... 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x  GPU: ASUS Strix rtx 2080 Super RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 8gb x4 PSU: Corsair HX850i Motherboard: ASUS Strix x570-E Storage: Samsung 840 pro, Samsung 970 evo 1tb nvme, segate 2tb Case: NZXT H510I Cooling: Corsair h100i

This is the answer I was hoping for.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Good. Also HTML5 auto-play videos need to be able to pause. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

This is the answer I was hoping for.

I learned it from my old science teacher, who was in a radar station in northern Canada during the height of the cold war, he would give it whenever asked a personal question, other than where he learned the phrase (which was from working at a radar station in northern Canada during the height of the cold war lol)