PowerColor Releases Ad for Upcoming AMD GPU

nunya bus

Would be no point, 4K TV's are already out.

yeah but 1440p could be a good low-cost option to replace 1080p

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

The Fiji XT has 4096 shader cores, twice as much as a GTX 980 and R9 280X. I don't know how it could possibly be just a 1440p card unless hindered by RAM.

Twice as many shaders as the R9 290 (2560) would just be ridiculous for $850.  ^_^

Although with the die shrink to 14/16nm I imagine we will see upwards of 6000 shaders on the R9 490X.

1440P is where good monitor tech is coming. 
4K monitors maybe out but they are still not for "gamers" I personally think 60hz is more than enough for a monitor.

but companies have been releasing IPS gsync/freesync low MS timing 120-144hz 1440P monitors. the predator. ROG SWIFT and more are coming, 

I just bought a 32" samsung IPS 1440P (ITS BEAST BTW) colour calibrated, 4MS 60hz tho (I dont notice lol, im not on ritalin) 

Twice as many shaders as the R9 290 would just be ridiculous for $850.  ^_^

Although with the die shrink to 14/16nm I imagine we will see upwards of 6000 shaders on the R9 490X.

the 290 did do 4K but it was bare minimum yes? 

this is why I'm saying that its being re marketed. its going to be pushed as a 1440P MAX ALL gaming card until the 8GB is released. then it will be a 4K beast. 

this is why I'm saying that its being re marketed. its going to be pushed as a 1440P MAX ALL gaming card until the 8GB is released. then it will be a 4K beast. 

It depends really on how well AMD can optimize their drivers for the new memory technology. Not everything has to be stored in VRAM at the same time and a 1024-bit interface for each stack (compared to 32-bit for each GDDR5 module) is a huge interface to work with when it comes to swapping out textures. Let alone the memory is directly on package now so there is less latency than there was with GDDR5 on the PCB.

There are recent games can be played on Max settings at 4K. eg Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes on a single card. GTA V probably.

DX12 should play a good part.

I can also play older games on 4K max too. It doesn't have to be the greatest and recent games.

Mass Effect 2 and 3 on my R9 290 can run it at 4K 60FPS, it looks fantastic, I use downsampling from 4K to 1080p. And this is with a crappy FX-8350 which is bad at single-threaded performance of which many older games rely on.

And did you read @Opcode post?

AMD did not release this advertisement. It was posted by PowerColor on their Facebook page for their Fiji giveaway.

Fiji will run 4GB for now because of memory and space limitations. Once HBM2 becomes readily available you can be sure AMD will be at the first in line to push out an 8GB model. We all would like to see 8GB out of the gate but keep in mind that density is not everything.

Why on earth you think it won't handle 4k is beyond me. Even the R9 290X and GTX 980 can handle 4k quite well but both are lacking in shader horsepower.

You think that Fiji is only going to outperform the GTX 980 by 10%? Are you even joking right now? 99% of people reading my reply are probably about to like it because they know just as well as everyone else of how much of a bullshit statement that really is. Fiji is based off graphics IPv8 which is Tonga (R9 285) that originally had a hybrid HBM/GDDR5 controller (so it didn't perform as well as it should of). Fiji will be a straight competitor for the TITAN X.

So you're right back to the 4GB being a limitation which as explained above is not a huge problem. Sure there could of been more memory put on the card and we all would like that but 4GB isn't going to make the card tank in any way as long as the driver is optimizing the texture buffer efficiently.

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU

Putting the obvious bias of the OP aside, the latest benchmarks would suggest AMD are about to unleash the beast, but then again only a very small minority of gamers use 4k or 1440p monitors, so clearly AMD must be conceding defeat by stating that fact and suggesting this card is for those running 4k monitors...  :rolleyes:

http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/amd_r9_390x_vs_gtx_980_ti_performance_leak/1

14090648884l.jpg

14090648358l.jpg

14090648172l.jpg

if company x makes the "most powerful GPU" then people stat buying company x products if they are good or not ( lower end stuff) that is marketing. also their are plent of people that want to get into higher res gaming like 3 1080p monitors, a 1440p monitor, 3 1440p monitors, 3440x1440p monitor, ect..

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

There are recent games can be played on Max settings at 4K. eg Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes on a single card. GTA V probably.

DX12 should play a good part.

I can also play older games on 4K max too. It doesn't have to be the greatest and recent games.

And did you read @Opcode post?

yeah we are agreeing with each other essentially. 

HBM v1 has limitation of 4GB if you want full speed at 600gb/s if you want another channel you will halve the speed back to Gddr5 speeds again so it makes it pointless to do hbm v1 8GB 

This is why I can not be marketed as a 4K video card. Granted I only run 1440P on my titan X but I can tell you now with high res packs in shadow of mordor, and batman and all my other games even at 1440P its 3.8GB's - 4gb's at full AA on mordor and if I crank up the scaling to 200% (effective 4K) it hits 6-8GB's in some games. 

Now everyone keeps saying. It's okay AMD have HBM. When they forget capacity is capacity. it doesnt matter how fast it is lol. a 1TB SSD doesnt hold more capacity because its faster than a 7200rpm mechanical drive LOL  (I get this reply 70% of the time, its quite alarming these people have the money to waste I dont know how they got it, cause they don't think at all)

and some other people say AMD has new compression tech. Okay so lets look at that the 285 is on par with a 280 3GB card. so if it gives you 1GB of saving in compression then cool. so 4gb may work as 5GB does. And we know by looking at 980 and Titan performance. AMD also has new compression as AA optimization that needs less analysis and load yet Im still getting 6-8gb's usage in these games. 

So its speculation sure. 

but the Ad says  to me we wont make any money with selling expensive cards to 1%. 99% is our market, and 1080P isnt enough. so that leaves AMD in a good position to market this card for 1440P 

And think about it. the 290 is for MAxed out 1080P gaming. dual screen setups. it was tested at 1080P and ran most things at around 100 FPS a good amount. it does higher resolutions, but you have to start turning things off. 

Skip to this generation and as I said Asus ROG and Predator ACER's 1440P IPS fast monitors have just been released. means this card is a 1440P gaming all maxed out Card. Next year HBM v2 comes. 8GB. we will see this card do 4K at around 40-50FPS (respectable) and Nvidia release Pascal with HBM v2. that will be direct comparison 

YES YES YES

IMA EMPTY MA WALLET

Yeah, so you can bottleneck it with that 8350 rofl.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

Lol and people were saying that the 970 with its vram issue was enough for 4K....

Get your act together people! :lol:  

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

It never says anything about 1440p, or that it'll be out performed by a Titan X.

It could be being marketed as the card that brings 4K to the 99% of gamers...

yes

I have no clue how well 4k can run with 4GiB of Vram...

It depends really on how well AMD can optimize their drivers for the new memory technology. Not everything has to be stored in VRAM at the same time and a 1024-bit interface for each stack (compared to 32-bit for each GDDR5 module) is a huge interface to work with when it comes to swapping out textures. Let alone the memory is directly on package now so there is less latency than there was with GDDR5 on the PCB.

but, I have to strongly disagree here.

The limit of swapping out data from Vram to system memory is the system memory speed. And you also have to share that one with the CPU and other devices.

Especially with way faster GPUs and Vram this swapping basically becomes a performance killer for everything except data that really gets not used. E.g. some image data from your browser running in the background when you play a game.

So if you game needs access to more then then a 4GiB data range in the next few frames your performance will become really bad.

Considering that GPUs uses virtual memory mapping for quite some time, there is nothing really that I could think of to optimize memory usage.

and some other people say AMD has new compression tech. Okay so lets look at that the 285 is on par with a 280 3GB card. so if it gives you 1GB of saving in compression then cool. so 4gb may work as 5GB does. And we know by looking at 980 and Titan performance. AMD also has new compression as AA optimization that needs less analysis and load yet Im still getting 6-8gb's usage in these games.

I guess you are talking about delta compression? That does not save any memory space. It only saves bandwidth between GPU cache and Vram.

Are they trying to imply 4K intended graphics cards are unnecessary?

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

-snip-

First of all I seriously smell the strong putrid scent of a fanboy here,

Second of all, I believe you seriously misinterpreted the point of the advertisement, I think AMD is trying to pander to 4k gaming by saying 99% don't run 4k and 1080p isn't enough SO they are releasing a 4k card to enable the 99% to make the jump to 4k.

Not saying that's going to happen but just my interpretation on what they were probably trying to get across.  

I also came to that conclusion. The AMD card is catering to the 1% 's in gaming. Don't worry about this card if you have 1080p.... it's too good for 1080p.

And...as said before it's PC's ad not AMD's ad.

AMD wouldn't alienate 99% of the gamers out there...that's just stupid advertising.

First of all I seriously smell the strong putrid scent of a fanboy here,

Second of all, I believe you seriously misinterpreted the point of the advertisement, I think AMD is trying to pander to 4k gaming by saying 99% don't run 4k and 1080p isn't enough SO they are releasing a 4k card to enable the 99% to make the jump to 4k.

Not saying that's the point of the advertisement but I think that is what it is trying to get across.

The truth right here.

Also tells me its a beast of a card.

@Opcode

I thought the 4GB limit of HBMv1 had been hurdled? Improvements to the interposer and using 2.5d processes in assembly would allow them to make use of more than a single stack at a time without the feared degradation? Granted I have not read up on any more recent releases since the initial announcement of the interposer improvements and the ABILITY to load more HBM RAM into the equation, so possible performance issues may have been relayed in later papers.

But, in either case 4GB of HBM is not nearly the achilles heel that 4GB of GDDR5 is. And GDDR5 could still push 4K just not with as much headroom or flexibility

that statement of theirs .. UHD, but with only 4Gb of VRAM - what are they thinking?!

that statement of theirs .. UHD, but with only 4Gb of VRAM - what are they thinking?!

980 SLIs are used for 4k with no real Vram limitations, so for at least the next 6 months the SPEED of the Vram is going to matter much more at 4k than the SIZE of the Vram. Also going into the realm of speculation there is a chance that better mem compression algorithms will help and additionally the moonshot chance of mem stacking with multiple GPUs. AMD might be lagging behind Nvidia right now, but they are not total idiots either. Wait until the cards are released and text before drawing your conclusions people, geez.

kthxgoodnight

Dude your post is hugely speculative.

They're way more likely to be saying 99% of gamers won't buy this card. But for those that do, it'll do everything you want it to.

I don't know where the hell OP got 1440p from...

So AMD has released this Advertisement.

It reads. did you know 99% of gamers don't use 4K?

And the statement. when 1080P isnt enough.

So what does that leave. 1440P gaming  

this is why Fiji is only 4GB because it doesn't have the ability or capacity to run the 6-8GB of memory for 4K 

So this is either a response to the constant berage of hate and ridicule that everyone is giving AMD for launching a sub par product. 

And they are re marketing this card. The problem is. 

They. Have conceded that Titan X will be a better card. it does 4K and well. and so will the 980 TI. 

So what I can deduce from all these Teasers . I mean terrible work again AMD, you are late! enough with the teasing... .Seriously 

the Fiji card will be a 980 beater by 10% So it may perform as well as 980Ti. But it will not beat a titan (AT 4K) it may do well at 1440P but NVidia will hold the 4K crown. 

the 980Ti 's are the better choice until AMD launch 8GB Fiji 

unless the Fiji is cheaper than a 980. 

Forget it if its dearer than a 980Ti, or on par with a titan

http://www.powercolor.com/event/comingsoon_2015/index.htm

http://wccftech.com/powercolor-teases-fiji-based-radeon-r9-390x-graphics-card-4k-gaming-giving-2-cards-free/

There we go again, leaked benchmarks suggest, that the Fiji core will not only beat the gx 980 by more than 10%, but it will also beat the gtx Titan x. The Fiji core has over 40% more stream processors than the R9 290x, that is like 10% under the performance of a gtx 980. The GCN architecture scales good with the stream processor amount, look at the tahity vs hawaii core comparison. And don't forget about the HBM and several memory compression technologies that will address the lack of memory + 4GB is enough for 4K gaming (even Linus has stated this fact).

Woahh... DAT OP though

Anyways, yeah I'm pretty sure Powercolour is saying that not enough people use 4K and for the lads who are tired of 1080p and want the GPU that gets the job done at 4K, this is the card.. It's almost impossible to think they're marketing for 1440p lmao, especially when AMD marketed the 290X as their first real 4K capable card.

.. and "980 Ti's are the better choice?" Neither of the cards have even launched, how do you what will be better? You're making a lot of conclusions based off of rumours, it ain't good mate

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

980 SLIs are used for 4k with no real Vram limitations

because existing games are not using hi-rez , hi-quality textures; they're still in the realm of 1080p

better mem compression algorithms

textures can be compressed so much