Disappointed at LTT's unboxing video on the Define S.

-TesseracT-

NOTE : Please don't complain about something as irrelevant as my grammar.

I've been watching Linus Tech Tips for a many years, and have been around on the forum since 2013. I don't plan on ever leaving, but Iwant to express a recent experience with the channel.

If you watched the latest WAN show you'd know that Linus and Luke were discussing a new case from Fractal Design; the Define S. Since I do not watch Vessel, I didn't know what they'd released a video unboxing of it. Apparently, many followers gave them a lot of flak for doing a unboxing that many admittedly didn't find to be very professional. Linus' argument against a full review was that the case didn't deserve one. They stated that the case was simply too uninteresting and boring.

I disagree with that. I find the case very interesting, not just because I happen to like it very much, but because I think it's important to the industry. Jay did a 20 minute review that was filled but nothing but new things to say about the case. The many things that were different from the R5. The fact that it has a big panel where you can mount reservoirs on and that it has a dedicated spot for mounting a pump is amazing! This isn't the first time the industry has seen something like this but the fact that Fractal are offering a relatively cheap case that can do this is very cool and other companies should follow suite.

I thought that LTT had a good relationship with Fractal Design. Both I and @Suffokation agreed that If we were the heads of Fractal, we would've been very disappointed by such a poor quality video of a case that frankly deserves more. I am honestly disappointed at Linus. He could've made a very short 3-minute review showing the differences between the Define S. and Define R5, that I'm sure would benefit both the manufacturer, the consumer and them selves more. 

So Linus, you're telling me that reviewing baby monitors and fucking lamps is of more importance than properly review a case that offers never-before-seen features on a case that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? You did do a video, but you dropped the frikkin side panel!!! There is no excuse of showing that. Don't tell me it wasn't your fault, it shouldn't have been in the video. Show some damn respect to the engineers of the case that spent many hours on it. The point is that the video was careless.

Clearly someone didn't watch the WAN show where Linus addressed similar whining about that video.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

Clearly someone didn't watch the WAN show where Linus addressed similar whining about that video.

Clearly someone didn't read my post where I said that I actually did.

I didn't see anything wrong with the unboxing, I actually kinda liked the down to earth feel.

And of course Jay would go on for ages about its water cooling features, he's like the water cooling God of YouTube. Fact is, it really isn't that different from the r5, they just pulled the front cages and drilled some holes in essence.

Don't over think things mate, else you'll end up like me sitting there picking apart every movie scene by scene to find logic holes.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

I'm really disappointed with Define R4 unboxing video.

mad rspect if you got this

That poor case. Left to die in the freezing rain.

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

Clearly someone didn't read my post where I said that I actually did.

I did actually read it but my brain was overcome by the stupidity of the whining in the rest of the post about the professionalism of a case review video about a boring black box that I had forgotten the first part of the post.

12831-im-sorry.jpg

I did actually read it but my brain was overcome by the stupidity of the whining in the rest of the post about the professionalism of a case review video about a boring black box that I had forgotten the first part of the post.

I can't respect your opinion if you don't respect mine.

Similarly, I have something of an issue with this topic complaining about a video you haven't seen yet. In the WAN show, he says the the case got a few minutes where he talked about what he saw outright. The Define S seems to be focused on water cooling support, but frankly, LTT doesn't do much water cooling stuff these days. JayzTwoCents definitely fills that void for me, but I don't feel that any more than an unboxing really warrants the differences that are rather minor in the eyes of the general consumer, or fresh member of the PC community.

Spoiler

CPU: AMD 5800X

GPU: Gigabyte Aorus 3070 Ti

SSD: WD SN850X 4TB x2

MoBo: Gigabyte Aorus Master B550

Case: Fractal Torrent

PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W

If Linus and crew do not find something interesting enough to review, then they do not have to review it

A forced review would look and sound horrible as nobody will be interested in the product, and it will come across in Linus' voice that he is uninterested

The channel is basically stuff Linus feels is worth of review, not just stuff we want him to review, its not like there are not other reviews of this case out there - he doesnt have exclusivity on it, so arguably if he finds it unworthy of a long review - then you can draw the opinion that Linus finds it uninteresting, or not different enough to spend a whole day explaining 

Linus doesnt have to cover every single case and option out there...especially as others will cover it anyway. this case is basically a define R5 with a slightly different configuration - its not worth spending 40 minutes talking about, and frankly I wouldnt sit there watching a long review of a case that is not very interesting

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Also the case is boooooooooooring

But unique.

But unique.

How so? It's a Define R5 with some things taken out, and some holes put in it for some extra water cooling support. I don't fault Fractal for doing much of the same all the time, but it essentially makes for a bunch of cases that are mostly the same with marginal differences in functionality.

Spoiler

But unique.

is it really?

to me it just looks like pretty much every Fractal Design case they realease since they realeased their first Define and just stripped some stuff out ...

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

I wasn't too impressed when the side panel crashed to the deck. Bearing in mind the "off-the-cuff" nature of Linus' un-boxings, I still personally would have re-filmed that portion.

Love the atmosphere of the sunlight and floral scenery in the background, though.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

I can't respect your opinion if you don't respect mine.

Why bother complaining about it? Linus does troll videos we all know that. I don't see the point in whining when there are plenty of other review sites and youtubers that put up articles and videos about the same products that you can go read/watch. Every video that LMG puts out doesn't have to be serious.

How so? It's a Define R5 with some things taken out, and some holes put in it for some extra water cooling support. I don't fault Fractal for doing much of the same all the time, but it essentially makes for a bunch of cases that are mostly the same with marginal differences in functionality.

is it really?

to me it just looks like pretty much every Fractal Design case they realease since they realeased their first Define and just stripped some stuff out ...

I personally think that the the "native" support of mounting watercooling components is unique for a case like this and deserves a proper review. Atleast a short comparison video between it and the Define R5.

Why bother complaining about it? Linus does troll videos we all know that. I don't see the point in whining when there are plenty of other review sites and youtubers that put up articles and videos about the same products that you can go read/watch. Every video that LMG puts out doesn't have to be serious.

Yes. But the fact that they review a baby monitor and not this is silly.

I don't mean to show any disrespect but this is how I feel. It's really a minor thing but I felt like bringing it up. I still love the channel and will continue watching it. 

I personally think that the the "native" support of mounting watercooling components is unique for a case like this and deserves a proper review. Atleast a short comparison video between it and the Define R5.

It's certainly unique for the price point, I'll give you that. I also don't wholly disagree with you. I disagree with your points of arguing, and that your entire argument is based around a video you admit in the OP to have not seen yet. However, I do kind of agree with the comparison video being better than an unscripted unboxing, although the community begged and pleaded for a return to the unboxing days, and now it seems no one can get over the complaining about it. 

Spoiler

It's certainly unique for the price point, I'll give you that. I also don't wholly disagree with you. I disagree with your points of arguing, and that your entire argument is based around a video you admit in the OP to have not seen yet. However, I do kind of agree with the comparison video being better than an unscripted unboxing, although the community begged and pleaded for a return to the unboxing days, and now it seems no one can get over the complaining about it. 

I did watch it though, after hearing about it on the WAN show. But fair enough.

Yes. But the fact that they review a baby monitor and not this is silly.

A lot of the audience will be new parents - so it isn't silly, at all.

I wasn't too impressed when the side panel crashed to the deck. Bearing in mind the "off-the-cuff" nature of Linus' un-boxings, I still personally would have re-filmed that portion.

Wait, how is he supposed to re-film an unboxing? That's just the sort of stuff that happens when you are recording your initial reactions, you can't just fake it for a second recording. I'll harkon back to the WAN show from this Friday and mention that the only reason the side panel came off is that the screws were so short that the self-retaining ring around it didn't allow the screw to go in far enough to stay on. The screw is too short, so the panel fell off. 

Spoiler