Geek and... Religious?

faziten

I may not act like it, but I am LDS ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm not perfect 

Science and Religion go hand in hand, one is not complete without the other IMO

EDIT: Dark theme y u mess with font readability

No, I am Atheist and get annoyed when people openly speak about god in the most impracticable of ways. 

Eg: Someone falls off a ladder and lands on feet. Says "God saved me!"

But other than that I am really open to any religion and one of my best friends is hardcore Christian. I'm fine as long as they are not being derogative to any person. (And that ladder thing) 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

I don't get why the minority of weird and crazy christians are believed to be the majority of us. It's kinda rude.

That was precisely my point: you should feel free to practice a lot of what religion preaches, but at the same time you can't pick and choose which aspects of calling yourself a Christian you want to be associated with and which ones you don't want to be associated with, You can say you're religious and that you follow Abrahamic teachings and philosophy without adhering to any particular Christian denomination or leadership.

There's a lot of well meaning, intelligent and truly nice people that not only count themselves as Christians but actively support one of the many Christian churches around with money and such. That's just irresponsible since they should know they are directly supporting most religious leaders that actually do persecute gay people, deny or interfere with abortion rights and even religious intolerance and even finance wars in some extreme cases. There's a lot of evil people that take advantage of people's good intentions that want to support a community to stay in power and further their own political agendas that way. There's just no need to support them.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I'm basically agnostic. I lean more towards the science side, but who knows what is actually beyond our reach. 

I'm a Catholic, and go based on the Bible for most things... For example, the creation story is one I'm not 100% sure about. Its easier for me to see science and facts on how Earth was created, rather than a Bible saying an almighty just created it in 7 days...

But I mean, do I believe there once was a Jesus on Earth, sure. I would say I believe about 90%-95% of the Bible.

To start off, I'm Christian. People often say that religious people are against science, but I really don't think that that is the case; it is the extremists that are against it. I go to a science/technology school, and its split pretty evenly with the proportions of people in the area. I am friends with people of numerous worldviews, and we just don't make a big deal of it when talking. Almost everybody that I actually know that is christian thinks that science is perfectly valid. The reason many people think that all religious people are against science is that there is a very vocal minority that says that. I really don't get when people say science and religion are opposing sides, they heavily overlap.

In a way, science actually supports religion.

I go to a Christian school, so I get a chapel service every week. Good stuff, most of the time.

A lot of Christians are anti-gay and anti-science and anti-everything. I support gay rights, am a huge nerd in science, and I am pretty tolerant. I don't get why the minority of weird and crazy christians are believed to be the majority of us. It's kinda rude.

I may not act like it, but I am LDS ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm not perfect 

Science and Religion go hand in hand, one is not complete without the other IMO

EDIT: Dark theme y u mess with font readability

Finally some people who have their shit together in their approach to religion, science, and how they interact.

I'm Catholic, and as @Stefanopolis said, science and religion are not opposites, rather, they are complementary to each other.

The people who think science and religion contradict each other (ex: Christian person against evolution) are ignorant.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

I'm a Catholic, and go based on the Bible for most things... For example, the creation story is one I'm not 100% sure about. Its easier for me to see science and facts on how Earth was created, rather than a Bible saying an almighty just created it in 7 days...

But I mean, do I believe there once was a Jesus on Earth, sure. I would say I believe about 90%-95% of the Bible.

The bible is 100% true, but it isn't always literally true. The creation stories for example, have to be figuratively true to some extent. 

If you look closely at the creation story, you'll realize that it can't be literally true. God doesn't create light (day) and dark (night) until (I don't remember exactly don't quote me) the 3rd or 4th day. That's a contradiction right there, but God doesn't contradict himself. So, the creation story has to be figuratively true. Just keep this in mind when reading/interpreting scripture. It doesn't have to be scientifically factual to be true.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

That was precisely my point: you should feel free to practice a lot of what religion preaches, but at the same time you can't pick and choose which aspects of calling yourself a Christian you want to be associated with and which ones you don't want to be associated with, You can say you're religious and that you follow Abrahamic teachings and philosophy without adhering to any particular Christian denomination or leadership.

There's a lot of well meaning, intelligent and truly nice people that not only count themselves as Christians but actively support one of the many Christian churches around with money and such. That's just irresponsible since they should know they are directly supporting most religious leaders that actually do persecute gay people, deny or interfere with abortion rights and even religious intolerance and even finance wars in some extreme cases. There's a lot of evil people that take advantage of people's good intentions that want to support a community to stay in power and further their own political agendas that way. There's just no need to support them.

Very well said. Coming from a Christian perspective, I as well see this attitude in Christianity, and many other groups/people etc. Can't really pick and choose... Generally why I say I'm a "bible believing Christian" Just to help people understand... I'm a christian that believes what the bible teaches nothing more, nothing less. 

Now, does that mean I can be Close-minded and hateful towards people? Nope. Does that mean I hate the sin people commit, and the fact that because of sin, we have really messed up stuff, that pretty much anyone can agree on (Greed, corrupt politics, murder, hate, etc) yep, hate that stuff badly.  

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

I'm not deluded enough to think that the entirety of the universe was created solely to test me. Nor do I think life is random.

I believe life to be a "law". Life happens wherever, however it can. And the purpose of that life?

Life is it's own purpose. No greater meaning required.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

GFwgRjc.png

I'm a Christian, more specifically a Baptist. Though I may not necessarily act like it all the time, I believe in the Christian faith/Bible 100%. 

COMIC SANS

I am Apatheistic (The same as what 95% of people who say they're Agnostic mean). I don't believe in god, but also don't renounce the idea that there is one. Although if someone asks me I'll usually tell them that I believe in every god individually and in every possible set and no gods all at the same time. If they ask me how that works I say that a higher power should be able to figure it out.

See: Pascal's Wager.

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

The bible is 100% true, but it isn't always literally true. The creation stories for example, have to be figuratively true to some extent.

If you look closely at the creation story, you'll realize that it can't be literally true. God doesn't create light (day) and dark (night) until (I don't remember exactly don't quote me) the 3rd or 4th day. That's a contradiction right there, but God doesn't contradict himself. So, the creation story has to be figuratively true. Just keep this in mind when reading/interpreting scripture. It doesn't have to be scientifically factual to be true.

How can something be figuratively true? Just cause its in the bible it has to be somehow true when obviously its not? It's either true or not. The whole god created day and night on the whatever day is obviously false. Noah's ark is way false just cause its not possible. Adam and Eve is also not possible. Splitting a sea to walk through? Really? A stick turning into a snake? It all makes me chuckle.

Yes I'm atheist

Sager NP8278-S--CPU-i7-4710MQ--GPU-GTX 970m 6GB--RAM-8GB--Storage-128GB SSD and 1TB HDD--Mouse-Steelseries Rival--Headset-Kingston HyperX Cloud

http://www.sagernotebook.com/Gaming-Notebook-NP8278-S.html

I am a christian, I believe the bible to be true. I will continue to believe it to be true until sufficient evidence I find tells me other wise. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

I am a christian, I believe the bible to be true. I will continue to believe it to be true until sufficient evidence I find tells me other wise. 

Normally its the other way around. lol So the Earth is 6000 years old?

Sager NP8278-S--CPU-i7-4710MQ--GPU-GTX 970m 6GB--RAM-8GB--Storage-128GB SSD and 1TB HDD--Mouse-Steelseries Rival--Headset-Kingston HyperX Cloud

http://www.sagernotebook.com/Gaming-Notebook-NP8278-S.html

no idea how old the earth is. it could be a new old earth, it could entirely just be old. idk. i will not debate that one. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

I believe god is a beautiful creature that once shat out a massive piece of shit and called it Earth.

How can something be figuratively true?

I assume what he meant is that although he believes the Bible's story of Creation is incorrect, the point of the story, that God created it all, is still true even if the exact story of "He did this at this time, and that at the time, in this order..." etc isn't true. 

Saying a story is true figuratively is saying that it's purpose for being told is true, even if the story itself isn't true. If I tell you a story about how humans can be good, but that story isn't true, that doesn't mean humans can't be good, but that they haven't been good in that specific way. The moral of the story is the point and so it's figuratively true. Though that may be the wrong word.

^My understanding of what he said.

For people who have the time to acquire evidence, that makes sense. For people who are interested in doing other things with their life, other than just disproving/proving beliefs about things, they tend to the opposite.

Could be. I'm a fan of the "nothing can be certain beyond written human history" concept.

But then we could be in the Matrix and the universe, including our memories of the past, could've popped into existence 20 seconds from before the moment you read this comment.

At that point, every/any thing is an option.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

im jewish, could care less if youre not or are, not of any importance

do i believe in any of this religion stuff, no not really.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of later day saint's (Mormon) and I believe in God and my personal ideology is to explain what I know to be true through my personal belief that God created everything and the human race explains the methods he uses with science.

This is my personal belief and I fully respect the belief of those who believe anything else.

Also here is a amazing video about our lord and savior, this is a joke don't take it at all seriously do not watch if you are easily offended.

I once believed in God. That ended quite early in my life. Religion honestly disgusts me now these days, no idea why.

Maybe because of those infamous church scandals and those annoying politically correct Christians, they just rubbed me the wrong way.

Aside from that, I'd prefer being agnostic about it. I honestly don't care who or what created us but all I know is that my mother created me. My girlfriend is actually Christian and she goes to her bible study, she knows I don't want to hear about that stuff so we just never talk about it. She is only religious because it makes her feel better, that I I'll never understand.

Oh, I also been to church before in the past. Never liked it.

In my opinion, God had no involvement in our lives, if there is or was a God. Evolution had everything to do with our lives and everyone around us.

Mid-range Emulation Gaming and Video Rendering PC

[CPU] i7 4790k 4.7GHz & 1.233v Delidded w/ CLU & vice method [Cooling] Corsair H100i [Mobo] Asus Z97-A [GPU] MSI GTX 1070 SeaHawk X[RAM] G.Skill TridentX 2400 9-11-11-30 CR1 [PSU] Corsair 750M 

Atheist. Raised a Christian.

Can not believe in a God, too unrealistic, no evidence. Does not compute.

I'm Christian myself but I consider myself different from most Christians as I find "mainstream Christianity" becoming more and more incorrect as the days move on. There is lots of filth going around the church. And too many compromises on areas that really shouldn't be compromised as a Christian are being made.

I 1000% or more believe that a Christian can be a tech or science person. I do disagree with what is considered "accepted truth of science" however regarding evolution. I Never force anyone to turn to chirisitanity or argue with others of different beliefs to try to prove them wrong, I think it's wasted effort because each of our minds our so biased to extreme levels that no matter what each person says no change can happen, and as a Christian I believe that there are things that have happened in my life that most non-Chrisitians will never be able to understand or comprehend, effectively making my arguments null and void, if u want to know what I believe and why I believe it then I will tell u and u get to choose what you want to believe yourself. I believe we have a free will for a reason. And that there is only one way to heaven.

But yes computers and the science around them are a big part of my life regarding both my work and play. I enjoy it, but I never will allow it to compromise my spirituality.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1