Geek and... Religious?

faziten

GTX 980 ALLAHU AKBAR

To be honest that could be due to self-selection bias? I tend to just avoid these types of thread. It's not that I'm an atheist, I just find the whole concept of god to be a kind of delusional madness. :shrug:

I really don't care since i'm not using this info for anything more than satisfying my curiosity. I also take in consideration your belief in rating a concept of god as a medial disorder. 

I really don't care since i'm not using this info for anything more than satisfying my curiosity. I also take in consideration your belief in rating a concept of god as a medial disorder. 

Sure, I just wouldn't want a biased response to influence you?  :shrug:

Also, just to clarify, for other people that might not have read my post? I think belief in god is a kind of mental disorder, not a medial disorder. I think belief in God is either a lie in the individual or the manifestation of some kind of mental problem.

I guess it can be medial within certain individuals, for instance those who's belief in God is at about the same level of as their belief in their Horoscope, but I don't think it's a small problem.  

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

I'm pretty antithiest - somewhat antireligious.

I believe strongly in science, and it seems like the creative people in my school are religious but not Christian (most people are either Christian or atheist), while the brainier people are atheist or antitheist.

Sig under construction.

Ignostic. Except when people try to force their religion on others, or the kinda illuminati is Disney Bs that Goes on, then I'm full out flaming aetheist.

- snip-

I'm Muslim, I believe in the big bang theory and evolution (excluding human evolution) and that things that people consider 'supernatural' (such as angels) are simply science that we do not yet understand.

I have a question for you on the topic of religion. If a person was to target you (Verbal or Physical Abuse) because of your religion Would this person be racist?

Just curious because from where I am if a Catholic was to attack a Protestant because of there religion and vise versa it is called Sectarianism.

Main Rig - Case: Corsair 200R   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270-GAMING-K3  CPU: Intel i5 7600 RAM: Corsair H55 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000MHz SSD: Crucial MX500 1 TB 

HDD: 2TB WD Green  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Windforce  PSU: Corsair CX 600W  

HTPC - Case: CiT MTX-007B   Motherboard: Biostar H61MGV3, CPU: Intel i5 2400  RAM: Patriot 4GB 1333MHz SSD: 240GB Toshiba SSD PSU: 180W CIT (Came with case)

Corsair 200R Front Bezel Mod

I have a question for you on the topic of religion. If a person was to target you (Verbal or Physical Abuse) because of your religion Would this person be racist?

Just curious because from where I am if a Catholic was to attack a Protestant because of there religion and vise versa it is called Sectarianism.

not racist, islam is not a race its a religion, you'll see chinese japanese malay arabs russian whites etc etc who are muslim these days

if anything they're most likely insecure with islam with all the islamphobia lately

looking back at the history of islam, you'll see so many times the muslims being shunned, violated, abused even to the prophet muhammad himself

taking that charlie hebdo as an example, i'm ashamed, really really ashamed on what muslim today did

if only they took example on what muhammad did then things would never have escalated to that point

not racist, islam is not a race its a religion, you'll see chinese japanese malay arabs russian whites etc etc who are muslim these days

if anything they're most likely insecure with islam with all the islamphobia lately

looking back at the history of islam, you'll see so many times the muslims being shunned, violated, abused even to the prophet muhammad himself

taking that charlie hebdo as an example, i'm ashamed, really really ashamed on what muslim today did

if only they took example on what muhammad did then things would never have escalated to that point

Ok thank you for clearing that up. Its just i have seen people be accused of racism for targeting someone based on their religon.

Main Rig - Case: Corsair 200R   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270-GAMING-K3  CPU: Intel i5 7600 RAM: Corsair H55 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000MHz SSD: Crucial MX500 1 TB 

HDD: 2TB WD Green  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Windforce  PSU: Corsair CX 600W  

HTPC - Case: CiT MTX-007B   Motherboard: Biostar H61MGV3, CPU: Intel i5 2400  RAM: Patriot 4GB 1333MHz SSD: 240GB Toshiba SSD PSU: 180W CIT (Came with case)

Corsair 200R Front Bezel Mod

I wanted to chime in here as well. Like many on here I am also Christian (Eastern Orthodox to be specific).

Just wanted to point out that you state that Science is opposed to religion, which generally isn't the case. Science can't prove or disprove anything about faith nor can it prove or disprove the existence of a higher being/intelligence, and it stops there. Any actual scientist who tells you otherwise is in the wrong, and they probably know it too.

Science deals with the observable nature and phenomena of our place in the universe (or multiverse). Sciences' job is to describe the natural world around us with empirical evidence.

Since faith isn't an observable natural phenomenon, science shouldn't even be brought up into the conversation.

As for religious beliefs:

Some people find hope and help in having some sort of faith, whether it be christian, buddhism, etc. For some people it is more about the mental support, for others religion is more about having something to believe in, or people may seek emotional support in times sadness (think: depression, passing of friends, family and loved ones, or needing moral support (we see this with people whom have gone through incarceration)) and others something to do on Sunday, etc. As you can see, people are religious for a vast majority of reasons. 

Personally, I find religion is more about morals, ethics, conviction, and patience. What I mean by conviction and patience is analogous to someone who like to read books. Reading a 700+ page text (think game of thrones series) requires someone to have their mind set on being able to sit down and work their way through a novel. All while maintaining a patience of finishing the novel and having the conviction to commit to actually reading it in the first place (and hopefully finishing it too).

As for moral and ethics, sometimes the things we may learn from religion are little things that can help not only you, but the community. One such example is many churches believe in the idea of giving back to the community, the needy, the homeless, and the poor. Many food banks are actually faith based and operated by churches and religious groups. This is something I personally believe in and partake in frequently. I volunteer at a local food bank about once or twice a week to give back to the community. Also, religion isn't necessarily about being conservatively moral and ethic. It is more about helping people decide for their own what they believe is bad or good, and that is up to each individual.

Everybody is bound to have varying viewpoints, and that's all fair (to each his own)(different strokes for different folks?). 

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Human Secularist. I do not care to, and cannot get behind or believe in something supernatural. Not opposed to anything or anyone, things change and I understand but currently this is it. Also I live in the bible belt of the US.

My idea of a Human Secularist, this is what I aim for is to increase our human rights (humans come first ideal) and is someone who doesn't want government bodies or companies (etc.) basing rules, laws and regulations off of religion. I want government rules, laws, regulations, tax breaks, etc. to be based off of science, what else can treat everyone the same? Practice whatever religion you want, but don't force it on me BY LAW. I have been opposed to the "In God We Trust" craziness since I realized it was a thing. Thought it was a joke, and sadly I was wrong. Especially for a country based and raised off of religious freedom. We came to the America's and created our own nation, United States of America, to get away from forced religion and religion persecution imposed by King George III just to have "In God We Trust" on our currency! Blasphemy!

For example holidays. I work for a large company and we are required to take Christian holidays off (Easter, Christmas, others I cannot think of at the moment). In their defense they give us free paid vacation days designed towards supporting other religions, or free'bees for those who don't practice a religion. What if I like working Sundays, and do not celebrate Easter. My whole week is screwed up due to a holiday I give zero cares about. My suggestion is to give employees more paid vacation days for holidays. We have enough employees to keep the doors open on Easter Sunday. Companies aren't afraid to shove Easter and Christmas down my throat (and most of the US), but can't support our Muslim or Jewish employees? What?! -_-

Christian here! (Non Denominational)

#JesusTheOneTrueGod!

Personally I find that the whole "Evolution" theory makes very little sense, and can be disproved in so many different ways, and that it takes more faith to believe that the big bang created everything than to believe that God created everything.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I believe science is a tool to better understand Creation. Do not get this confused with scientology. I do believe in a higher being and if I were to believe in Creation then I must believe that a higher being created science. I've always viewed science as a stop gap. Science is fundamentally flawed as a belief as science is meant to be proven wrong, which is also why its so great. Science is a great tool to allow humans to better understand things that we don't. That is another thing as humans, I think we can all agree that we are not all knowing, we are not omniscient. To believe in a higher power, I accept that I am flawed but I will do my best to learn and understand. 

I haven't been to off-topic in a while, I shall go there and see some of the new threads...

*see's topic*

Me:

1388.gif

Anyways...

Agnostic Atheist.

I don't think there is substantial proof of whether an intelligent being(s) created reality, therefore I find the claim unsupported.

I have absolutely no issue with people who are religious. I judge off of actions not thoughts/beliefs.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

No, they would be islamophobic

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

GTX 980 ALLAHU AKBAR

Infidel R9 290X at 12 o'clock

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

I don't think there is substantial proof of whether an intelligent being(s) created reality, therefore I find the claim unsupported.

There's no proof whatsoever. No evidence. No discernible effect other than that which the belief itself can generate in the individual and that is explainable scientifically (as are all of the effects erroneously attributed to there being some kind of supreme being).  :shrug:

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

I am a devout Catholic. Science and religion are compatible. Perhaps God created the universe with a big bang? lol

I am quite convinced there is a God. As a matter of fact, I've seen him......

......in the mirror each morning, brushing his teeth. 

If you look in the mirror, you may see him/her too. :P

Personally I am an Atheist.

From ages 6-12 I was in a Christian school and we read stories from the bible pretty much daily, but those stories just sounded impossible to me..

They acted if they were the proven truth, but I don't feel like that is true..

My parents are not religious at all, so I have never really been brought up as a Christian. I also never prayed.

I starting thinking about all that stuff at age 13 or so (when I was not in that Christian school anymore) and just kind of came to my own conslusion that I don't believe that stuff and I think religion is mostly for mass control (just think about all the people who listen to the pope and stuff)

I always learned about that Christianity was about caring and accepting each other, but all the hate towards for example gay people does not feel right.

So I am an  Atheist now. Don't believe in all this stuff, but I don't attack others for religion.

2 of my friends are religious (Christian and Muslim) and I respect what they believe, but I just can't believe it.

If I'm over at my Christian friend's house to eat, I don't pray with them but I respect that they want to pray and just be quiet.

As for my Muslim friend, he ate a few times at my house and we of course got the right food for him.

So to finish it off: I'm an Atheist, who very much does not believe religious stuff. But I do respect people who believe in it (but don't think the religions itself are right)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

The thread has actually been really decent from what I have read, wow! Anyways...

I do not prefer to name what I am, as I do not believe in organized religion but whatever, for the sake of the thread I will just go with it.

I am a Christian, a Follower of Christ...and yes, I know science to be true (even if I don't always understand it) and I'm not a raging lunatic most people think we religious folk are. Sadly the extremists have taken over the media and everyone thinks we all think the same and don't care to see the truth. Sure, we may worship God, but it doesn't make us the same.

Also, science and religion are not incompatible (I have no idea what idiot came up with that hahaha). We worship something that is supposed to be omnipotent...you don't think that perhaps it was His intention to create things as they were created and for us to find that out? That what you see as "evidence" to disprove Him is what He Himself created? So even if you don't believe in God, you have to believe in the definition of "omnipotent", right? If so, then it should be common knowledge that science will never disprove God to religious people because of that definition (though not that alone of course). *

I love my God, and no amount of scientists hell bent on trying to disprove something they can't will change that, nor will the evil actions of religious extremists.

*the "you" was plural there. :)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I don't beleive in a higher entity, but dont deny there is one.

Agnostic.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

There's no proof whatsoever. No evidence. No discernible effect other than that which the belief itself can generate in the individual and that is explainable scientifically (as are all of the effects erroneously attributed to there being some kind of supreme being).  :shrug:

My original post before the 20 edits I usually did basically said this, but I was attempting to avoid conflict so I went with something less... strong? Not sure of the word for it, I need coffee still.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.