Geek and... Religious?

faziten

I always learned about that Christianity was about caring and accepting each other, but all the hate towards for example gay people does not feel right.

So I am an  Atheist now. Don't believe in all this stuff, but I don't attack others for religion.

It's really unfortunate that people think that Christianity hates gay people. Officially, the (Catholic) Church is okay with gay people but loudmouth Christians make it look like Christians hate gay people. I just wanted to clear that up. Christianity isn't anti-gay but many Christians act that way.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

It's really unfortunate that people think that Christianity hates gay people. Officially, the (Catholic) Church is okay with gay people but loudmouth Christians make it look like Christians hate gay people. I just wanted to clear that up. Christianity isn't anti-gay but many Christians act that way.

AKA generally the "extremist" Christians

AKA generally the "extremist" Christians

Yeah. As a Christian, it really sucks to be associated with ignorant buttholes that would, for example, spread gay hatred.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

Christian here! (Non Denominational)

#JesusTheOneTrueGod!

Personally I find that the whole "Evolution" theory makes very little sense, and can be disproved in so many different ways, and that it takes more faith to believe that the big bang created everything than to believe that God created everything.

So. Hard. Not. To. Get. Angry. At. Your. Statement.

I'll try not to flame but:

1: evolution has been proven time and again, much more so than creation.

2:the big bang does make sense, but you have to understand the physics behind it to get it.

Also evolution does make sense,go read up on it and you'll understand.

I have nothing against religion, but I find it very frustrating when people say stuff like evolution "doesn't make sense"

Also, please don't take this personally, it's more a general frustration against people who say these things and try to force their opinion on others, not saying that you're doing that.

- snip-

That's also something I find extremely annoying about all religions.

There are so many rules, but some people don't believe/live by all of them and sometimes it seems like over time more rules are thought of by others, that might benefit them

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

So. Hard. Not. To. Get. Angry. At. Your. Statement.

I'll try not to flame but:

1: evolution has been proven time and again, much more so than creation.

2:the big bang does make sense, but you have to understand the physics behind it to get it.

Also evolution does make sense,go read up on it and you'll understand.

I have nothing against religion, but I find it very frustrating when people say stuff like evolution "doesn't make sense"

Also, please don't take this personally, it's more a general frustration against people who say these things and try to force their opinion on others, not saying that you're doing that.

So you expect people to believe that the big bang created everything, and just by luck the earth was placed in the perfect spot with the perfect conditions for life to be sustained on it? According to a few different videos I've had to watch at school, the earth was originally basically just a giant sphere of stone and other materials, no plants, no animals, none of that stuff, if that is true, then how were all the plants created? Don't say that the plants "Evolved" over millions and millions of years, because that would just be silly.

Another thing, what evidence is there that the different theories that scientists have on how life started on earth are actually true? Nobody was there when it happened, therefore we cannot say.

If everything was created by the big bang, what created the big bang? And why don't we see species or humans evolving into other creatures over time?

Don't forget that it requires two of almost any type of animal or creature to reproduce (A-sexual creatures being the exception), you expect that we should believe that something such as a organism a-sexually reproduced, then both those organisms evolved in the exact same ways to be able to create the exact same species in such a way that they could reproduce?

Now, lets take a look at some of the stuff going on with the galaxy, if the sun is shrinking at around 93 miles per century, according to science the earth is around 4.54 billion years old, that's about 4,358,400,000 miles in total that it would have shrunk and the sun is about 92,960,000 miles from the earth, according to that, the earth would have been inside the sun at the time that the earth was created, assuming that the sun has been shrinking at a linear rate, the sun would have consumed all the way out past pluto.

If the earth was within the sun for what would have had to of been millions of years, the earth would have been a ball of magma from the huge amounts of heat from the sun.

(Not looking to start an argument, just trying to get some points out there about what science says.)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

So you expect people to believe that the big bang created everything, and just by luck the earth was placed in the perfect spot with the perfect conditions for life to be sustained on it? According to a few different videos I've had to watch at school, the earth was originally basically just a giant sphere of stone and other materials, no plants, no animals, none of that stuff, if that is true, then how were all the plants created? Don't say that the plants "Evolved" over millions and millions of years, because that would just be silly.

Another thing, what evidence is there that the different theories that scientists have on how life started on earth are actually true? Nobody was there when it happened, therefore we cannot say.

If everything was created by the big bang, what created the big bang? And why don't we see species or humans evolving into other creatures over time?

Don't forget that it requires two of almost any type of animal or creature to reproduce (A-sexual creatures being the exception), you expect that we should believe that something such as a organism a-sexually reproduced, then both those organisms evolved in the exact same ways to be able to create the exact same species in such a way that they could reproduce?

Now, lets take a look at some of the stuff going on with the galaxy, if the sun is shrinking at around 93 miles per century, according to science the earth is around 4.54 billion years old, that's about 4,358,400,000 miles in total that it would have shrunk and the sun is about 92,960,000 miles from the earth, according to that, the earth would have been inside the sun at the time that the earth was created, assuming that the sun has been shrinking at a linear rate, the sun would have consumed all the way out past pluto.

If the earth was within the sun for what would have had to of been millions of years, the earth would have been a ball of magma from the huge amounts of heat from the sun.

(Not looking to start an argument, just trying to get some points out there about what science says.)

Some of those are indeed very valid points, let's go over some of them.

1: it is actually fairly likely for a life supporting planet to exist, considering the vast numbers of planets and stars in the universe it is statistically likely that at least a few planets would be the optimal distance from the sun to support life.

2: I don't know enough about the early earth to answer that, I'll read up on it and tell you later.

3: the reason we haven't observed other species evolving is that humans have existed for a comparatively short amount of time, at least in evolutionary terms.

4:again humans have not existed long enough to decipher the growth/shrink of the sun. Your argument is based on a very short period of observation, and it is likely that the sun pulses in size over time, and that the shrinking is not linear.

5: sorry, don't understand your wording on the reproduction topic, and I don't know enough about biology to answer how life was created, but I'm sure someone does, Google it.

It's also quite easy to counter the question of the source of the big bang, I could ask where God comes from.

(also their are some theories about it being the event horizon of a 4th dimensional black hole, but that's to complicated)

- snip-

Normally techies, geeks, nerds, etc. are people of science. Science is opposed to dogmas such like religion, faith or, in general, any kind of belief that states facts without accepting discussion in the matter of correctness, possibility or existence...

Assuming anyone who is in a tech forum is at least a techie or geek i may ask:

Are you religious or have any belief in a higher force or entity (be specific in which one, or explain what do you believe in)?Leave jokes and funny references like "The force" ,"Neo", etc for other topic. 

Disclaimer:

First: This topic is not intended to flame, poke fun, laugh off, compare any religion, faith or belief. 

Second: As colleges let's have a proper discussion. If you get mad or just can't handle the topic keep on scrolling to another.

Third: This topic is based on my own curiosity, will not serve as nothing more than a simple informal statistic of religious people who happen to like technology. 

Wait.. We're all colleges? Why in the hell am I not studying myself, that's way cheaper than paying to go to Uni!

Non-theistic here.

EDIT: This thread is going to piss me off one way or another, no matter how hard I try to prevent it, so I'm going to refrain from entering again. Respectfully, I ask you to not quote my post or do anything that would get me to delve in. I'd prefer to not start anything with anybody, I dislike confrontation.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

Now, I'm about as science minded as a 12 year old, but even I can answer these things.

Yes, the Earth was a big ball of molten rocks floating in space. But as the Sun cooled, so did the Earth. Combined with the comets hitting Earth, that lead to the formation of liquide water.

In liquide water abiogensis can take place, and then you have the formation of biological molecules, that can form very basic forms of life. Those can then form more advanced forms of life.

Also, stop using the word ´created´. It's a loaded word, and is basically putting your opponent into an indefensible position.

While it's not wrong to use, it's a sign of bad debate etiquette.

Why is saying something evolved over millions (It's actually billions, but I digress) of years silly? Is it less silly to say that a magic sky genie did it?

Also:

Nobody was there when it happened, therefore we cannot say.

So, if there was no witness to a crime, nobody can be convicted of commiting that crime?

Science is capable of looking back at the past, by observing how things work in the present.

The Big Bang did not create everything. It was everything condensed into a infinitely dense point. The Big Bang doesn't mark the beginning of the existence of matter, but rather it marks the beginning of perceivable time. Currently, we can't know what happended before the Big Bang, because our current understandning of time doesn't allow for a time before the first second.

Also, if you have to ask what created the Big Bang, you also have to ask: "What created God?" 

Speciation has been observed both in the lab and in the field. Several different types of animals and bacteria has been demonstrated to evolve into a different species. The reason we haven't seen humans evolve into, say, Homo Neo Sapiens, is because humans haven't been around for very long. The estimate is between 100.000 and 250.000 years, which is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-speciation.html

The evolution of sexual reproduction is pretty well understood. You just have to look at the sources on the Wikipedia article to see that.

The basic concept is this: We started out has hermaphroditic creatures, that contained the right equipment to be both male and female. Just like most modern day snails.

Then, as with most biology, mutations happened. Some the offspring wasn't given the full ultilty belt, and was born either male or female.While they couldn't reproduce with themself, they could reproduce with eachother. And sexual reproduction was born.

i guess , that you have your numbers on the Sun from the Institute for Creation Research? Their article is unfortunatly based on a long debunked paper from 1987.

The Sun isn't losing all of it's mass. It's only losing a very small percentage of its mass, because it gets converted into energy. Here is the math on it: http://solar-center.stanford.edu/FAQ/Qshrink.html

And now to go against all that I have just written.

Even if we threw out all of science. Even if all that we know about this world is proven to be wrong, your god is not the answer. Saying "God did it" is not the default position, and I would argue that it isn't an answerl. Saying that God did something, is equivalent to saying "Magic did it" or "Intergalactic space rhino named George did it".

God is an answer without meaning.

Edit: I'm already regretting posting this.

I won't answer to any replies made to this post, but anyone should feel free to contact me through other means, if they feel it's important.

I owe it both the OP and the forum to not turn this into a flame war. i have participated in way too many of those already.

Also, keep in mind that all the things I have written are very rough outlines of the actual science. The internet is a great resource, so everyone can look up the specifics.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

-snip-

-snip-

Well I'm not going to try to argue, you guys can believe what you want to believe.

I'll choose to stick with being a christian.

IMO, if it ends up that there is nothing after death, there is no harm done by living a christian life, and having that chance that if God is real, and that Heaven and Hell do exists, I'd rather end up in Heaven than burn in Hell for all of eternity. (Can't really think of how to word it, so it might be a little difficult to make sense of)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Well I'm not going to try to argue, you guys can believe what you want to believe.

IMO, if it ends up that there is nothing after death, there is no harm done by living a christian life, and having that chance that if God is real, and that Heaven and Hell do exists, I'd rather end up in Heaven than burn in Hell for all of eternity. (Can't really think of how to word it, so it might be a little difficult to make sense of)

Do you believe in Purgatory? Only asking because it seems you believe in a heaven and a hell

Main Rig - Case: Corsair 200R   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270-GAMING-K3  CPU: Intel i5 7600 RAM: Corsair H55 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000MHz SSD: Crucial MX500 1 TB 

HDD: 2TB WD Green  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Windforce  PSU: Corsair CX 600W  

HTPC - Case: CiT MTX-007B   Motherboard: Biostar H61MGV3, CPU: Intel i5 2400  RAM: Patriot 4GB 1333MHz SSD: 240GB Toshiba SSD PSU: 180W CIT (Came with case)

Corsair 200R Front Bezel Mod

it's okay to believe that humans were born by chance through millions of years of evolution. that the sheer size of the universe is so immense and that time has existed for so long, life was bound to be formed by intricate chemical reactions. but to then deny that it would be impossible for hyper intelligent beings to exist (we're talking deity level status) because it sounds "magical" is hypocritical. Using the same logic of evolution, the immense size of the universe, intelligent beings with vast powers were probably formed just like us. Advanced lifeforms who have the ability to shape space time in the way they see fit. It's only magic and nonsense when you refuse to learn more about it. 

Do you believe in Purgatory? Only asking because it seems you believe in a heaven and a hell

Nah. (I'm not catholic, I'm non-denominational)

Am I religious? No. I believe religion has done awful things to this world. Countless deaths over whose skygod is the right skygod to believe in. I also firmly believe that its foolish to put so much faith in stories written thousands of years ago by the same people who thought the world was flat and that the Universe revolved around Earth. Religion holds society back. And I do not agree with the hatred and persecution of groups of people based on their own identities. 

That said, I've known tons of religious people who are great people. The reason religion is so prolific is because people are just plain used to being religious. It's such a large part of the world's culture. You're never going to see me even bringing religion up or being part of any religious discussion in person because  I don't want to be one of those people that pushes his belief's on others. I believe so strongly that religion is idiotic, but whatever floats your boat. You won't find me arguing with you. I respect others decision to believe in whatever keeps them happy. 

Yeah, I don't think there is anything wrong with being Christian, I saw it more as a debate over some science things.

- snip-

I'm athiest, I don't believe in any higher entites

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Laptop: ASUS N56VJ

In a way, science actually supports religion.

I go to a Christian school, so I get a chapel service every week. Good stuff, most of the time.

A lot of Christians are anti-gay and anti-science and anti-everything. I support gay rights, am a huge nerd in science, and I am pretty tolerant. I don't get why the minority of weird and crazy christians are believed to be the majority of us. It's kinda rude.

I Don't think so

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/stephen-hawking-confirms-non-existence-god-by-offering-scientific-proof-1467528

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Laptop: ASUS N56VJ

Pascal's wager is a fallacy.

Firstly, it assumes that the only two possibilities are that the christian god exists or doesn't; it's just as likely to be Zeus, Odin or any other god or goddess humanity has worshipped over the millennia.

Secondly, living a christian life does have costs. How months or years of your life are spent in church? How much money have you given your church over the years? How about things that are prohibited purely for religious grounds like eating meat on Friday, men having long hair or many aspects of sexuality, especially, homosexuality.

Pascal's wager is a fallacy.

Firstly, it assumes that the only two possibilities are that the christian god exists or doesn't; it's just as likely to be Zeus, Odin or any other god or goddess humanity has worshipped over the millennia.

Secondly, living a christian life does have costs. How months or years of your life are spent in church? How much money have you given your church over the years? How about things that are prohibited purely for religious grounds like eating meat on Friday, men having long hair or many aspects of sexuality, especially, homosexuality.

I have to say I disagree quite strongly with the second point.

While yes, you might spend about a year in a church building (assuming 2 hours a week, 48 times a year, over 75 years(which is actually 300 days, but I'll let it slide)) I really don't consider that to be a huge "loss" of time from your life, since that's 1.25% of your life, (assuming you live for 80 years) and during that time you're being social, and making new friends. 

I actually have never heard of the next rule, despite being christian myself, but after a bit of research, the Catholic Church did say that you should not eat meat during a Friday of Lent, however it isn't the eating of the meat that is the sin, but instead it would be the act of rebellion against the Church, for knowingly eating meat. 

Again, I have never heard of the next rule, but I suspect you're referring to the verse in the Bible, "Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him." This comes from a letter from Paul to the Church in Corinth, and during this letter is the only place I could find that said it was wrong to have long hair as a man, and the rest of the verses I found, suggested it was fine to do so (at least to me)

With regards to homosexuality, I have no stance on it, and really couldn't care either way.

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

I dropped out on this Muslim thing,waaay back it only pissed me off. 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Agnostic.

And about religion vs. science:

ezgif-772086257.gif

MjL8LeT.png

Kind of says it all about religion.  I'm Agnostic as well. 

Oh seriously why do these posts just keep finding a way in this forum....... I hope forum members act mature, I hope.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Religion is nothing but a remnant from a time when humanity had to resort to the supernatural to explain the surrounding world. It has no place in modern society and must be kept as far as possible from science and politics.