Experiences with non-techies

6 minutes ago, WinNut said:

i dont get it?!?

It means that they're awake, but not aware - or usually used to describe someone really, really dumb.

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

Just because we have a high literacy rate in this country doesn't mean every one can read. When the brain rot happens you loose stuff. Hell I go see my grandma and Im called 5 different names. Also when you get old, your eye balls and ears dont work as well. 

True enough.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

19 hours ago, deWaardt said:

Any idea how many non-tech/gamer people simply don't want to listen? They think they know exactly what you're doing because they heard something about it.

(Like anti-gamer moms that are anti-gamer because Fox News told them games are the cause of all serial killers and rapists.)

Yeah the same way Fox News is telling everyone to be racist homophobes that have suddenly become hard of hearing to other ideas that may possibly benefit them?

Fox News is composed of a bunch of idiots though. They tried to say that Mass Effect had a whole bunch of nudity, but that's not in there. Of all the media like GTA, Witcher, hell Game of Thrones, they chose fucking Mass Effect. It's like they saw a fucking 10 second preview and went apeshit without playing the game, hell even watching any gameplay or even reading reviews.

14 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

You know what, I think you have a point... I think it has to do with how I learned English.

Thing is, I'm in the French province of Quebec Canada, the people here are afraid of the English language, so all of my English is self-taught.

Anyway, long story short: because my English is self-taught, I always pay close attention to the context, I realized that after BingoFishy reply and something that happened at work this morning. So yeah, I never realized I was paying that much attention to context before, that explains why sometimes I get confused by other's confusion!

Good on you for teaching yourself english

How long did it take you to become this fluent?

13 hours ago, GoZone said:

My parents can understand PC building because of course PCs are important for work and school but not gaming at all, they are the type that games are just "giving kids virtual guns and killing."

Fucking idiot media. None of them have heard of all the good games can do like all the charity work, and health benefits from games

4 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

so... they've never saved anything ever in their life before? xD 

Google Drive has spoiled them with its auto save feature. Got to admit, it is really handy

2 hours ago, WinNut said:

Not exactly tech in the sense that we think of it but I saw an elderly lady on the bus insert her farecard into the farebox slot upside-down and backwards, holding up the boarding line for about 40 seconds before the driver gave up and did it for her.

How hard is it to understand the instructions on this?

Reveal hidden contents

1280px-MetroCard.SVG.png

Yeah, becoming a tech geek has somehow put the idea in my mind that society is a bunch of idiots

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

My friend told me that you cannot see above 30fps and that he can't see framedrops. He is an Xbox gamer so I am.not surprised. However he does have a Aorus X7 Pro g g-sync laptop. I asked him did nvidia wasted their time creating g sync if framedrops and lag were not noticeable and he just shrugged his shoulders. I told him to get this laptop as he doesn't know much about computers 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

8 hours ago, Fgtfv567 said:

Good on you for teaching yourself english

How long did it take you to become this fluent?

A few years of watching Star Trek TNG got me there, then when I was confortable enough I started reading books and listening to Brits TV shows.So I would say from 13-14yo to my early 20's (6+ years).

Thing is, until I moved to Montreal, I never could practice speaking, so it took a while for me to get rid of my French accent. Me learning English by myself is nothing compared to my wife, she speaks 4 languages!

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

A few years of watching Star Trek TNG got me there, then when I was confortable enough I started reading books and listening to Brits TV shows.So I would say from 13-14yo to my early 20's (6+ years).

Thing is, until I moved to Montreal, I never could practice speaking, so it took a while for me to get rid of my French accent. Me learning English by myself is nothing compared to my wife, she speaks 4 languages!

My old Spanish teacher was born in Greece, visited Spain, lived in Germany and Italy, before moving to the States.

He can speak 11 languages fluently. 

It's always hilarious when he meets somebody else who knows multiple languages, because they'll just go off on a linguistics spree, transitioning from language to language in the middle of sentences and phrases. It's god damn amazing.

My favorite experiences with non tech-savvy people is when people on this site think they need to combine network connections or get 10Gbps networking to watch 4k video OR how they think that the increase in bandwidth this would bring will decrease their ping...

For the time being, friends, 1Gbps is more than enough :) 

ESXi SysAdmin

I have more cores/threads than you...and I use them all

1 minute ago, Sunshine1868 said:

My favorite experiences with non tech-savvy people is when people on this site think they need to combine network connections or get 10Gbps networking to watch 4k video OR how they think that the increase in bandwidth this would bring will decrease their ping...

For the time being, friends, 1Gbps is more than enough :) 

But but more gigathings makes the youtubes faster and my WoW have -20 ping times.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

One time I wanted to add some Ram to my grandma's system because it was running super slow. So I popped off the side panel & she screamed at me for breaking it. She then bought a new Dell after rejecting my offer to build her one.

On 5/9/2016 at 7:18 AM, wkdpaul said:

My own stupidity for a change;

Did some sleeving and cable management this weekend, then when I put everything back together the PC was in a boot loop, spent the next 30 minutes pulling everything out of the case and testing it "cardboard style" only to realize I must've touched one stick of RAM's tabs because it was slightly out of the slot ... genius!

nice

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf. I know that there are things in this world that I do not know and that makes me wise!”

Spoiler

Use the following style specs for your profile!
Screeninator:  Asus GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB
Powermathingy: EVGA 500W
Stickaminator: Crucial 16GB 「4x4GB」DDR3-1600
Procrastinator: Intel i5-4460 3.2ghz
Holdametalicizor:  Corsair 200R 
Noisoundacreator:  Razer kracken pro
Attatchamajiggy :  Asrock H97 Anniversairy ATX LGA1150
Remembrerthing:  i've got a-lot of drives
Flat-Colorful-Thing:  LG not actually sure the model of it
See-A-Move-O: Razer Mamba 2012
ButtonBoard:  Razer Deathstalker 

yeah sorry i havent been active in a while and probably wont be for a few more weeks. its finals at my votech and my cert for network Pro is tuesday , as well as my podcast so i gotta video edit and study this whole week. then my schedule is full with graduation and stuff.

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf. I know that there are things in this world that I do not know and that makes me wise!”

Spoiler

6 hours ago, asim1999 said:

My friend told me that you cannot see above 30fps and that he can't see framedrops. He is an Xbox gamer so I am.not surprised. However he does have a Aorus X7 Pro g g-sync laptop. I asked him did nvidia wasted their time creating g sync if framedrops and lag were not noticeable and he just shrugged his shoulders. I told him to get this laptop as he doesn't know much about computers 

His G-sync panel and laptop is the REASON he doesn't notice all that lag and screen tearing?

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

2 hours ago, Fgtfv567 said:

His G-sync panel and laptop is the REASON he doesn't notice all that lag and screen tearing?

xD yeah.  but I assume he just can't see it regardless or xbox would be unplayable

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

15 hours ago, Fgtfv567 said:

Yeah the same way Fox News is telling everyone to be racist homophobes that have suddenly become hard of hearing to other ideas that may possibly benefit them?

Fox News is composed of a bunch of idiots though. They tried to say that Mass Effect had a whole bunch of nudity, but that's not in there. Of all the media like GTA, Witcher, hell Game of Thrones, they chose fucking Mass Effect. It's like they saw a fucking 10 second preview and went apeshit without playing the game, hell even watching any gameplay or even reading reviews.

Like 4 years ago in my country, a 17 year old let's player with around 50 000 subs got drunk, stole his dad's car, then got into a high speed chase with the police, crashed and died. One TV network made it into a 1.5 hour report that spaned across 3 days and aired during the main air time. They, ofcourse, blamed videogames, since videos of him stealing a car in Mafia were so easy to find.

Also why the heck did they choose Mass Effect? If I wanted to say that video games have a bunch of nudity, I would have chosen Witcher 3, since the sex scenes there are mocapped and really well made, or some actual sex games.

X2ScyS3.jpg?1

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

14 hours ago, Fgtfv567 said:

No, this is when he plays on his Xbox One. I am shocked that he can't notice a difference with g sync 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

There are too many stories to tell and too many replies to quotes ... so I'll leave this here;

It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

-Bill Murray

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Talking with a friend, he is buying a 4790k and a GTX 970 for his computer, this weekend.

PXL: Dude, just wait for the 1070, 

Friend: Nah man, I never noticed the difference between graphics cards anyways.

PXL: So you really want to play at Ultra on your 1080p display at 25fps instead of 120fps?

Friend: Wait, graphics cards effect fps. . .?

5 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

So, my dad has had a 170u for like 6 years now in some pos compaq...the same kind I gutted/nearly 100% replaced with then turned into Otaku Dragon.  That 170u would make anyone cringe.  The thing is so imbalanced that chrome destroys it.  Anyways!  He was dropping f-bombs as every browser froze cuz of it, even after I upgraded the RAM for him.  He's not the type to splurge on tech, but I made him realize why he needed an upgrade.  So, you know you need an upgrade when this is an upgrade! xD Bear in mind, he won't drop money down for a Phenom II x4, so I at least managed to talk him into this.

Upgrading to a used $5 CPU... nice :P 

1 hour ago, positivePXL said:

Talking with a friend, he is buying a 4790k and a GTX 970 for his computer, this weekend.

PXL: Dude, just wait for the 1070, 

Friend: Nah man, I never noticed the difference between graphics cards anyways.

PXL: So you really want to play at Ultra on your 1080p display at 25fps instead of 120fps?

Friend: Wait, graphics cards effect fps. . .?

Now I have to know, what did he think it did?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

59 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Now I have to know, what did he think it did?

I dunno man, maybe he was thinking it was a PhysX thing? I just, I don't know.

On 5/10/2016 at 7:45 AM, matrix07012 said:

Like 4 years ago in my country, a 17 year old let's player with around 50 000 subs got drunk, stole his dad's car, then got into a high speed chase with the police, crashed and died. One TV network made it into a 1.5 hour report that spaned across 3 days and aired during the main air time. They, ofcourse, blamed videogames, since videos of him stealing a car in Mafia were so easy to find.

Also why the heck did they choose Mass Effect? If I wanted to say that video games have a bunch of nudity, I would have chosen Witcher 3, since the sex scenes there are mocapped and really well made, or some actual sex games.

X2ScyS3.jpg?1

Video games aren't to blame, the people are.  The people who play these games, they either follow in the characters footprints which is like saying humans are so dumb that they can't tell the difference between fantasy and real life.  I think that does apply to children under the age of 10, but other than that I think people are way more than mature enough to know whether something is fantasy or real life.  

On 5/6/2016 at 7:11 AM, GullibleDeath said:

You should use Linux, for all sorts of reasons. Sorry old post but the information still stands.

It depends, I wouldn't say you "should" use linux I would say you can use it depending on your situation.  I use it for web development, development in general, penetration testing, malware analysis etc.  Windows is great for development as well, it has access to many open source frameworks as well as .NET which is widely used for Windows and Web applications alike.  

On 5/6/2016 at 7:24 AM, wkdpaul said:

Except saying that one should use a specific OS because of a browser that isn't OS specific is completely wrong.

In this case, yes there are tons of reasons for using Linux, but Firefox ain't one of those.

Yup, but there are also tons of reasons to use Windows, and OSX also.  

But about this thread, I think it might be dying.  It's not a bad thing, it had a REALLY good life.  I watched this thread from the start and hope to watch it until the finish.  But we should keep trying to revive it because this thread could be one of the most largest threads in the forums so we should keep it up.  

Just rekt my friend(ish) who replied to an e-mail I sent that's over a month old.
I shared an april fool's NCIX video called NCIX recommends: Buy a mac!

Anyways, here's how the conversation went down.
Friend(ish): 

Actual reasons to buy a Mac that are actually true in this video

Special customization takes too long for Windows

Too many options make my brain hurt for windows 

Takes too much time to upgrade everything for windows 

Mac helps save brainpower for other more important stuff

Near infinite scrolling for windows takes too long

Brand new Mac  computer =yay

Mac is shiny

Price proves quality

All in under a minute 45
Friend(ish):

Btw Mac trumps Windows 

Me:

Hahaha. Ever heard of those $1,000 HDMI cables?

Price definitely does not equal quality.

You see, some people like you do need a mac because:
1) You managed to get 100 malwares in a month.
2) You need that extra brainpower to learn why you just overpaid for a computer.

Also, you said "btw mac trumps windows" but you haven't realised that Windows is an OS, and a mac is a piece of hardware. The correct statement would be "btw OS X trumps native windows" or "btw Macs trump native windows computers."

Why your statements are false:
1) What if you went into a restaurant and could only order ham or w
asabi? Would you be happy with lack of options? 
2) Most people don't upgrade their computers. However, Computing Forever made an excellent video on why you should instead of buying a new computer.
3) I can tell you don't want a ton of apps (referring to the scrolling), because you totally wouldn't have trouble finding steam games that will actually work with your computer. I remember when you used a mac. 
You actively struggled to find a Humble Bundle that would actually have compatible games with your mac.

/rant

There are some

legitimate needs for a mac, like when you need to use certain professional applications like Final Cut. And macs do do some things better than PCs. But the fact that you can get a pc that's about equivalent to a mac or better for less than half the price in some cases really does make a huge difference when comparing them. But to the average user, a mac will simply be more money being spent than is necessary.

Also, mac is shiny? I think not.

Inline image 1

Me:  Correction: 

"btw OS X trumps n̶a̶t̶i̶v̶e̶ windows"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, admittedly I am an apple hater. But they can do some things well, and there are some good needs for macs as said above. Also, weird formatting because I didn't want to lose stuff and am too lazy to correct all of it (copy+paste). So just pretend it's perfect.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

11 hours ago, Mike_The_B0ss said:

But about this thread, I think it might be dying.  It's not a bad thing, it had a REALLY good life.  I watched this thread from the start and hope to watch it until the finish.  But we should keep trying to revive it because this thread could be one of the most largest threads in the forums so we should keep it up.  

We'll never surpass heaven society...

"Never quote yourself"

-I need a better name

can we get like a rule about making text entirely white. like the wall of white highlight is annoying to look at

Spoiler

10 hours ago, BingoFishy said:

-snip-

There was a post on this forum recently, I won't point them out, but basically they said OS X was faster than Windows at video rendering and that's why they needed a Mac.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: