Experiences with non-techies

16 minutes ago, deWaardt said:

R.I.P. vrm's.

Does his PC still work or has he burned his vrm's already?

After starting up the PC, *POOOF* smoke and fire.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

30 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

After starting up the PC, *POOOF* smoke and fire.

Hehehe yeah that's what you get.

Who buys an FX-9XXX in the first place?

I mean...

5 hours ago, Belgarathian said:

Still not common sense.... I know that there is timber in the wall, but I have no idea what a top plate, bottom plate, batten, grout, and MDF are. 

You realise that common sense is the innate ability to understand not jump off a bridge because it will hurt, not that E=MC^2

*Sigh*

I'm ,talking about self-explanatory names, not physics equation, also, if you don't understand the basics of what is a "top plate" or bottom plate" then you need help.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

17 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

*Sigh*

I'm ,talking about self-explanatory names, not physics equation, also, if you don't understand the basics of what is a "top plate" or bottom plate" then you need help.

What plate is it referring to? I've never heard of this stuff 

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

My own stupidity for a change;

Did some sleeving and cable management this weekend, then when I put everything back together the PC was in a boot loop, spent the next 30 minutes pulling everything out of the case and testing it "cardboard style" only to realize I must've touched one stick of RAM's tabs because it was slightly out of the slot ... genius!

2 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

... genius!

Don't click that ad! 

Specs:

5 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

What plate is it referring to? I've never heard of this stuff 

he was talking construction materials, I must assume a top plate is a piece that goes on top on a frame.

7 hours ago, Belgarathian said:

Still not common sense.... I know that there is timber in the wall, but I have no idea what a top plate, bottom plate, batten, grout, and MDF are. 

You realise that common sense is the innate ability to understand not jump off a bridge because it will hurt, not that E=MC^2

You know what, I think you have a point... I think it has to do with how I learned English.

Thing is, I'm in the French province of Quebec Canada, the people here are afraid of the English language, so all of my English is self-taught.

Anyway, long story short: because my English is self-taught, I always pay close attention to the context, I realized that after BingoFishy reply and something that happened at work this morning. So yeah, I never realized I was paying that much attention to context before, that explains why sometimes I get confused by other's confusion!

Guess I might as well throw something in this thread for the first time in forever.

While not one person or group in particular, the amount of flame I get for using a G3258 over a Q6600 is honestly astonishing. Like you would think that I was killing babies and selling their corpses on the black market the way one certain group of people I communicate with reacts.

I guess the fact that my Pentium is faster than their beloved old-as-dirt Q6600 is just too much for them to handle.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

9 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

Guess I might as well throw something in this thread for the first time in forever.

While not one person or group in particular, the amount of flame I get for using a G3258 over a Q6600 is honestly astonishing. Like you would think that I was killing babies and selling their corpses on the black market the way one certain group of people I communicate with reacts.

I guess the fact that my Pentium is faster than their beloved old-as-dirt Q6600 is just too much for them to handle.

lol, I understand. I just "upgraded" to 1150 (from 775) and my new 4170 is faster than my overclocked Q9400. I even got better GPU performance (an average of 14%) even though I have lower OC on the GPU.

15 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

Could be nostalgia for what was a fantastic chip (in it's day), and could be that a lot of people (myself included) would really recommend a quad core for gaming these days, if at all possible, but, some people need to just calm down, especially about what hardware other people choose to use :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 5/5/2016 at 2:09 PM, BingoFishy said:

Teach your family what you're doing, so they understand and won't criticize. 

My parents can understand PC building because of course PCs are important for work and school but not gaming at all, they are the type that games are just "giving kids virtual guns and killing."

"Simple Yet Complex" 

3 minutes ago, GoZone said:

My parents can understand PC building because of course PCs are important for work and school but not gaming at all, they are the type that games are just "giving kids virtual guns and killing."

Well, sometimes they are :P but I'm pretty sure it doesn't make them do it in real life.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

So this just happened, we had network problems earlier, this office lady calls me saying her computer was acting up after the network came back, she did a reboot but now her PC isn't working.

I show up, the PC is off so I press the power button, the PC open and she goes"ahhh it was just closed?" ... lol I made a WTF face and I think she saw it, she apologized and said she must've clicked shutdown instead.

... writing this was longer than fix that problem! :D

6 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Could be nostalgia for what was a fantastic chip (in it's day), and could be that a lot of people (myself included) would really recommend a quad core for gaming these days, if at all possible, but, some people need to just calm down, especially about what hardware other people choose to use :P

But in the case of the Q6600, those two extra cores do nothing to put it ahead of my Pentium. It's paired with a GTX 480, and my 480 is left twiddling its thumbs in almost everything. The one exception is Fallout 4 that fills up the VRAM and still doesn't push it hard.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

45 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

But in the case of the Q6600, those two extra cores do nothing to put it ahead of my Pentium. It's paired with a GTX 480, and my 480 is left twiddling its thumbs in almost everything. The one exception is Fallout 4 that fills up the VRAM and still doesn't push it hard.

I'm not trying to defend the 6600 - I'm sure it's far too old to compete well with even dual core CPUs from this decade :P - but if you had an i5 or something like that... 

Volunteering in a beginner web building class in high school. Trying to help a pair of students.

Me: "So after you do this and this (referring to the typed instructions), go ahead and save."

Students: "uh, OK". *10 minutes later* "OK what now?"

Me: "Did you save?"

Them: "Do what?"

Me: "Save your work"

Them: "How do I do that"

Me: go to file and click on save or just click the button that looks like a floppy disk"

Them: "what's that?"

28 minutes ago, ddrkreature said:

Volunteering in a beginner web building class in high school. Trying to help a pair of students.

Me: "So after you do this and this (referring to the typed instructions), go ahead and save."

Students: "uh, OK". *10 minutes later* "OK what now?"

Me: "Did you save?"

Them: "Do what?"

Me: "Save your work"

Them: "How do I do that"

Me: go to file and click on save or just click the button that looks like a floppy disk"

Them: "what's that?"

so... they've never saved anything ever in their life before? xD 

Not exactly tech in the sense that we think of it but I saw an elderly lady on the bus insert her farecard into the farebox slot upside-down and backwards, holding up the boarding line for about 40 seconds before the driver gave up and did it for her.

How hard is it to understand the instructions on this?

1280px-MetroCard.SVG.png

3 minutes ago, WinNut said:

Not exactly tech in the sense that we think of it but I saw an elderly lady on the bus insert her farecard into the farebox slot upside-down and backwards, holding up the boarding line for about 40 seconds before the driver gave up and did it for her.

Reveal hidden contents

1280px-MetroCard.SVG.png

Maybe the lights were on and no one was home. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Maybe the lights were on and no one was home. 

i dont get it?!?

1 minute ago, WinNut said:

i dont get it?!?

If she were elderly maybe she suffers from some sorta of degenerative brain disease. Also keep in mind, that in her youth this shit didnt exist. 

8 minutes ago, WinNut said:

Reveal hidden contents

1280px-MetroCard.SVG.png

They could have had really bad vision, I know i have slid a credit card into the wrong way in a slot before. 

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

If she were elderly maybe she suffers from some sorta of degenerative brain disease. Also keep in mind, that in her youth this shit didnt exist. 

But she should be able to read.

Specs:

1 minute ago, BingoFishy said:

But she should be able to read.

Just because we have a high literacy rate in this country doesn't mean every one can read. When the brain rot happens you loose stuff. Hell I go see my grandma and Im called 5 different names. Also when you get old, your eye balls and ears dont work as well.