Experiences with non-techies

1 hour ago, Belgarathian said:

Let me know where I can get a Z5 Premium for under $150 and I'll buy one today. 

Yeah pretty sure none of those are under $150 xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

13 hours ago, Belgarathian said:

Seriously, what kind of education institute has to pirate Windows? Volume licensing for education institutes is dirt cheap!

A Canadian one XD No, it's just that I go to a really crap school. At least the PCs are kind of decent-ish in specs. Pentium Dual-Core E5200 2.5GHz, 2GBs RAM, Integrated Graphics though.

57 minutes ago, RahulR said:

A Canadian one xD No, it's just that I go to a really crap school. At least the PCs are kind of decent-ish in specs. Pentium Dual-Core E5200 2.5GHz, 2GBs RAM, Integrated Graphics though.

I'd say not. Integrated graphics are probably fine for what you do in school (or are supposed to do) but the RAM is unacceptable. The processor... eh... could be worse I guess.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

1 minute ago, BingoFishy said:

I'd say not. Integrated graphics are probably fine for what you do in school (or are supposed to do) but the RAM is unacceptable. The processor... eh... could be worse I guess.

Yeah, not enough RAM. The integrated graphics just isn't good for gaming. Though, for just schoolwork, it's fine.

10 hours ago, Belgarathian said:

Today I killed a CPU while overclocking with a typo. 

I did something similar to a 560 Ti. Flipped my numbers around by accident on the memory and my display became a fancy slideshow. Hard reset fixed it though. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

The school librarian just called my iPad 2 a Nook????

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

7 hours ago, steezemageeze said:

The school librarian just called my iPad 2 a Nook????

Backwards from most people say.

Specs:

2 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

Backwards from most people say.

Exactly my point lol

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

38 minutes ago, steezemageeze said:

Exactly my point lol

It's still wrong though :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

9 hours ago, BingoFishy said:

In high school we had PCs with Core 2 Duos, and intel graphics, but it's funny, I don't even know what graphics or CPU specifically, or even how much RAM they had but it was enough; like, I never thought to myself "if only X was Y this would be so much better".  That's not to say they were perfect by any means though... they took an eternity to boot and minutes to logon sometimes, but that was just the terrible image, network, and whatever else the school had done to them.  By themselves they were perfectly good for what we did, which I'm thankful for in hindsight :)  Goes to show you don't always need 32 GB of RAM and a 5960X for every scenario :D 

23 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

In high school we had PCs with Core 2 Duos, and intel graphics, but it's funny, I don't even know what graphics or CPU specifically, or even how much RAM they had but it was enough; like, I never thought to myself "if only X was Y this would be so much better".  That's not to say they were perfect by any means though... they took an eternity to boot and minutes to logon sometimes, but that was just the terrible image, network, and whatever else the school had done to them.  By themselves they were perfectly good for what we did, which I'm thankful for in hindsight :)  Goes to show you don't always need 32 GB of RAM and a 5960X for every scenario :D 

For me, entering Junior year, or maybe Senior, IDK it was quite a while ago, the school just got several Apple IIe machines in one classroom, and 2 of them in the library. What lovely monochrome graphics those had, though I enjoyed programming in interpreted BASIC.

(Too much actually, since the course was more the history and theory behind the computers, not how to, you know, actually code the damned things. Scored an amazing 47% in that class.)

On 4/27/2016 at 9:06 PM, Fourmi Kill3r said:

Yeah... razer case = better performances ^^

On 4/27/2016 at 9:07 PM, GreezyJeezy said:

K

On 4/27/2016 at 9:08 PM, I am an SSD said:

You will  help him out right? :D 

On 4/27/2016 at 9:09 PM, Ronnie76 said:

Add flames on the side for it to get an extra 5GHz

On 4/27/2016 at 9:12 PM, Hackentosher said:

That poor soul. Just show him Linus' videos and have him come back to you in a week.

Day 2

Me - *Shows Bob this as a joke*

Bob - That Seems easy enough (he was serious)

Me - Go and watch LTT there show you what to do

Bob - cool

Day 3 

Bob brought the case today

26 minutes ago, Supercian411 said:

Day 2

Bob - cool

Day 3 

Make sure he gets a non sketchy PSU.

3o85g95AKMEYiAUOgo.gif

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

Just now, matrix07012 said:

Make sure he gets a non sketchy PSU.

3o85g95AKMEYiAUOgo.gif

Im helping him with parts

2 hours ago, Supercian411 said:

Im helping him with parts

you like your friend right? hes not one of those, god i hate him i wish he would... HEY! frank how are yah buddy you know i was just about to go get you i wanted to show you something, but its not ready yet. do you think you could go find me a left handed smoke shifter. *frank walks away* just go to hell or something i mean hes sooo anoying. ohhhh hey frank yeah? you couldnt find it? you think im bullshitting you so i can talk about you behind your back? nahhh man its there trust me.

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf. I know that there are things in this world that I do not know and that makes me wise!”

Spoiler

Use the following style specs for your profile!
Screeninator:  Asus GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB
Powermathingy: EVGA 500W
Stickaminator: Crucial 16GB 「4x4GB」DDR3-1600
Procrastinator: Intel i5-4460 3.2ghz
Holdametalicizor:  Corsair 200R 
Noisoundacreator:  Razer kracken pro
Attatchamajiggy :  Asrock H97 Anniversairy ATX LGA1150
Remembrerthing:  i've got a-lot of drives
Flat-Colorful-Thing:  LG not actually sure the model of it
See-A-Move-O: Razer Mamba 2012
ButtonBoard:  Razer Deathstalker 

13 minutes ago, DirtyDane said:

you like your friend right? hes not one of those, god i hate him i wish he would... HEY! frank how are yah buddy you know i was just about to go get you i wanted to show you something, but its not ready yet. do you think you could go find me a left handed smoke shifter. *frank walks away* just go to hell or something i mean hes sooo anoying. ohhhh hey frank yeah? you couldnt find it? you think im bullshitting you so i can talk about you behind your back? nahhh man its there trust me.

If you don't like him, tell him to get a $20 PSU.

Oh yeah, I got rid of most of the signature spec stuff because I thought it was silly.

Sorry.

Skipping a line.

Skipping two lines.

Skipping three lines.

K done. 

Specs:

3 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

If you don't like him, tell him to get a $20 PSU.

Oh yeah, I got rid of most of the signature spec stuff because I thought it was silly.

Sorry.

Skipping a line.

Skipping two lines.

Skipping three lines.

K done. 

i use a wii remote, razer mamba 2012, and a drawing tablet interchangably as my mouse. and i plan on keeping my thing like this the signature

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf. I know that there are things in this world that I do not know and that makes me wise!”

Spoiler

Use the following style specs for your profile!
Screeninator:  Asus GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB
Powermathingy: EVGA 500W
Stickaminator: Crucial 16GB 「4x4GB」DDR3-1600
Procrastinator: Intel i5-4460 3.2ghz
Holdametalicizor:  Corsair 200R 
Noisoundacreator:  Razer kracken pro
Attatchamajiggy :  Asrock H97 Anniversairy ATX LGA1150
Remembrerthing:  i've got a-lot of drives
Flat-Colorful-Thing:  LG not actually sure the model of it
See-A-Move-O: Razer Mamba 2012
ButtonBoard:  Razer Deathstalker 

17 minutes ago, DirtyDane said:

He runs like a helicopter, doesnt shut up, spits everywhere when he talks yet he's still my freind but im sure that wii power suply will work

1 hour ago, Supercian411 said:

He runs like a helicopter, doesnt shut up, spits everywhere when he talks yet he's still my freind but im sure that wii power suply will work

nah. not enuff powah.

This one looks decent.

Specs:

My friends like to hit LCD displays with their fingers really hard when they're pointing something out or when they get frustrated. I've asked them not to do it several times (and explained why they shouldn't do it) and they always reply with, "I didn't even hit it that hard, look, it's fine," and proceed to jab it more to demonstrate.

Yesterday I found a very clearly damaged spot on a screen where they'd jabbed at it with their fingers earlier that week.  Nice dark spots with green glowing outlines and dead pixels. Fun stuff. When I pointed out the damage to them after they jabbed the screen today, they again told me that they "didn't hit it that hard" and demonstrated the fact by... forcefully poking the screen.

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

35 minutes ago, dcb-z said:

My friends like to hit LCD displays with their fingers really hard when they're pointing something out or when they get frustrated. I've asked them not to do it several times (and explained why they shouldn't do it) and they always reply with, "I didn't even hit it that hard, look, it's fine," and proceed to jab it more to demonstrate.

Yesterday I found a very clearly damaged spot on a screen where they'd jabbed at it with their fingers earlier that week.  Nice dark spots with green glowing outlines and dead pixels. Fun stuff. When I pointed out the damage to them after they jabbed the screen today, they again told me that they "didn't hit it that hard" and demonstrated the fact by... forcefully poking the screen.

Ugh. I already have like two or three pressure spots on my display and I don't remember hitting it. Also a little chip in the middle of the screen. And a crack on the back from when my dad knocked it over (on the ground).

Specs:

6 hours ago, Supercian411 said:

Day 2

Bob - cool

Day 3 

OMFG ahhahahahahaha

6 hours ago, dcb-z said:

just poke them in the eye the same way

12 hours ago, Fourmi Kill3r said:

OMFG ahhahahahahaha

13 hours ago, BingoFishy said:

nah. not enuff powah.

This one looks decent.

His case came today and now he going to get he mobo with an  x97 chip set but has no idea what cpu

also does anyone now if the r9 270x sells for £700