Experiences with non-techies

5 hours ago, Lurick said:

There was a post on this forum recently, I won't point them out, but basically they said OS X was faster than Windows at video rendering and that's why they needed a Mac.

Not really, but it has Final Cut Pro X which is an awesome video editing program and it also has better power management than Windows.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

1 hour ago, matrix07012 said:

Not really, but it has Final Cut Pro X which is an awesome video editing program and it also has better power management than Windows.

Actually, I'd go more along the lines of the fact that apple is really good and putting batteries in their products, I mean, here's the MBA:

Spoiler

nmItfRdGJsVaLKcl.medium

And here's the new macbook:

Spoiler

MacBook-inside.jpg

The computer part (at the top) is about the size of a smartphone. Pretty insane.

Apple makes well designed products, but many (like the new macbook) are incredibly impractical, and most, if not all, are incredible overpriced.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

5 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

Actually, I'd go more along the lines of the fact that apple is really good and putting batteries in their products, I mean, here's the MBA:

Reveal hidden contents

nmItfRdGJsVaLKcl.medium

Reveal hidden contents

MacBook-inside.jpg

The computer part (at the top) is about the size of a smartphone. Pretty insane.

Apple makes well designed products, but many (like the new macbook) are incredibly impractical, and most, if not all, are incredible overpriced.

And with all of those batteries, still just a few hours. Its amazing what having 4 batteries that are paper-thin will do compared to proper battery. And to be fair, they probably aren't too overpriced, it just costs that much to make batteries that thin.

1 minute ago, positivePXL said:

And with all of those batteries, still just a few hours. Its amazing what having 4 batteries that are paper-thin will do compared to proper battery. And to be fair, they probably aren't too overpriced, it just costs that much to make batteries that thin.

The new macbook air is overpriced, because it has the computing power of a smartphone and still thermal throttles.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

32 minutes ago, positivePXL said:

Not really. Batteries aren't expensive. Also, the MBA has an incredible battery life (15+ hours I've heard) and the new macbook is pretty good (~6-7 hrs iirc).

Specs:

woahreally.PNG

When this review was posted, Windows 10 had been out for...

4 months. (Not including insider program)

I seriously wonder how he got "Top 1000 contributor"

Specs:

10 hours ago, I need a better name said:

We'll never surpass heaven society...

True, but we may get close. 

2 hours ago, matrix07012 said:

It's also closer to Unix which makes it great for people who need to administrate linux servers, not only that but it's better for development simply because it supports Xcode which does suck as an IDE but contains the compiler to actually develop iOS and Mac applications.  And if you're a developer, especially for mobile apps then you need a Mac.  Even if you use Xamarin which is a windows IDE which uses the NDK to create Android applications and still needs SSH access to a Mac to use the built in Xcode Compiler. 

Besides, Mac is used more for productivity applications like Final Cut Pro X, which you stated.  I don't think it has better power management as an operating system but because the OS is directly designed for the hardware.  But the memory management might be slightly better than Windows depending on what your doing.  The registry makes up for it though. 

Although people put down the registry, it's actually a really amazing and fantastic part of the Windows Operating System. 

On 5/9/2016 at 3:05 AM, wkdpaul said:

So this just happened, we had network problems earlier, this office lady calls me saying her computer was acting up after the network came back, she did a reboot but now her PC isn't working.

I show up, the PC is off so I press the power button, the PC open and she goes"ahhh it was just closed?" ... lol I made a WTF face and I think she saw it, she apologized and said she must've clicked shutdown instead.

... writing this was longer than fix that problem! :D

Yup.   Networking is quite fun, it's certainly more fun than software engineering in my personal opinion.  My Goal is to be able to work in a data center and at one point hopefully become a CIO or CDO.  

7 minutes ago, Mike_The_B0ss said:

Yup.   Networking is quite fun, it's certainly more fun than software engineering in my personal opinion.  My Goal is to be able to work in a data center and at one point hopefully become a CIO or CDO.  

Networking is more fun when you're down a ways from the CIO position. At that high up you don't get to do really any down and dirty stuff or testing where the real fun begins.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

On 5/12/2016 at 8:40 AM, Lurick said:

There was a post on this forum recently, I won't point them out, but basically they said OS X was faster than Windows at video rendering and that's why they needed a Mac.

18 hours ago, BingoFishy said:

Hide contents

nmItfRdGJsVaLKcl.medium

Hide contents

MacBook-inside.jpg

personally i wont be buying a mac anytime soon. but i wont argue that they arent bad devices, they build some well made stuff over there at apple land sometimes. but heres my thing, am i the only one who thinks that the strap for the apple whatch makes it look like a kids toy almost?

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf. I know that there are things in this world that I do not know and that makes me wise!”

Spoiler

Use the following style specs for your profile!
Screeninator:  Asus GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB
Powermathingy: EVGA 500W
Stickaminator: Crucial 16GB 「4x4GB」DDR3-1600
Procrastinator: Intel i5-4460 3.2ghz
Holdametalicizor:  Corsair 200R 
Noisoundacreator:  Razer kracken pro
Attatchamajiggy :  Asrock H97 Anniversairy ATX LGA1150
Remembrerthing:  i've got a-lot of drives
Flat-Colorful-Thing:  LG not actually sure the model of it
See-A-Move-O: Razer Mamba 2012
ButtonBoard:  Razer Deathstalker 

19 minutes ago, DirtyDane said:

personally i wont be buying a mac anytime soon. but i wont argue that they arent bad devices, they build some well made stuff over there at apple land sometimes. but heres my thing, am i the only one who thinks that the strap for the apple whatch makes it look like a kids toy almost?

Not going to buy a Mac anytime soon either, though I've had a few back in the days of G3 & G4 and I understand WHY someone would buy a Mac. And frankly I don't understand the people complaining about Macs being crap and overpriced since almost ALL of them actually never ever touched one, let alone worked with one.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

17 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Not going to buy a Mac anytime soon either, though I've had a few back in the days of G3 & G4 and I understand WHY someone would buy a Mac. And frankly I don't understand the people complaining about Macs being crap and overpriced since almost ALL of them actually never ever touched one, let alone worked with one.

Well... I've worked with them, and and they're good machines. But they don't age well, from what I can tell, older windows machines work better than older macs. And the overpriced part, is, I well, usually true. A $1000 gaming laptop outperforms or equals the highest end MBP (~$3500) in many scenarios (960M > M370X AFAIK + the windows machine would have a new processor). The extra $1500 gets you a better screen, track pad, storage (lower capacity though), and battery life. But you get a weaker graphics chip (and older processor). 

I'm not saying that a mac is worse than the windows machine. In fact, I'd prefer it. I'm just saying that they're simply not a good deal, and the average consumer would be better off with a cheaper machine. 

Specs:

every time i go to troubleshoot something. i get my hopes up and pray to the almighty god above that they have windows 2000 and it ends up something like this 

ive always wanted that to happen for real

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf. I know that there are things in this world that I do not know and that makes me wise!”

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

I'm not saying that a mac is worse than the windows machine. In fact, I'd prefer it. I'm just saying that they're simply not a good deal, and the average consumer would be better off with a cheaper machine. 

totally agree, but again, saying it's overpriced compared to a gaming machine is bias. Macbooks and Mac pros are not used for gaming, if they are then the person has obviously no idea what they're doing.

Like I said, I'm not gonna buy a Mac, ever again, not because they aren't useful or because they are crap or overpriced but because I have no use for one.

As far as older Macs not working better than older PCs, I don't know, haven't touched a Mac in a decade, my last Mac was a 2 CPU G4 computer (1.8Ghz overclocked), and that thing was keeping up with core 2 duos, the old PPC Macs were quite capable but are now completely useless. Macs being on Intel CPU might explain why they struggle more when getting older.

someone make me laugh. ive been video editing since 6am. and this is part 2 since i have to assemble it in 3 seperate videos then merge them into one because of the stupid way i decided to do it. the video will suck either way lol. but yeah i need a laugh and a link to the cheapest copy of windows 2000 professional with a product key you people can find

Spoiler

2 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

totally agree, but again, saying it's overpriced compared to a gaming machine is bias. Macbooks and Mac pros are not used for gaming, if they are then the person has obviously no idea what they're doing.

Like I said, I'm not gonna buy a Mac, ever again, not because they aren't useful or because they are crap or overpriced but because I have no use for one.

As far as older Macs not working better than older PCs, I don't know, haven't touched a Mac in a decade, my last Mac was a 2 CPU G4 computer (1.8Ghz overclocked), and that thing was keeping up with core 2 duos, the old PPC Macs were quite capable but are now completely useless. Macs being on Intel CPU might explain why they struggle more when getting older.

Intel CPU's struggle when they get older? Didn't know that. But yeah, my school's macs from a few years back do struggle quite a bit,  when loading a page or opening chrome. They have C2Ds. And while Macs aren't made for gaming, gaming and a lot of productivity programs often have quite a bit in common as for performance and system requirements. 

Specs:

2 minutes ago, DirtyDane said:

someone make me laugh. ive been video editing since 6am. and this is part 2 since i have to assemble it in 3 seperate videos then merge them into one because of the stupid way i decided to do it. the video will suck either way lol. but yeah i need a laugh and a link to the cheapest copy of windows 2000 professional with a product key you people can find

I'd help, and but I'm on a phone atm and phones aren't particularly good for shopping. 

Specs:

1 hour ago, BingoFishy said:

Intel CPU's struggle when they get older? Didn't know that. But yeah, my school's macs from a few years back do struggle quite a bit,  when loading a page or opening chrome. They have C2Ds. And while Macs aren't made for gaming, gaming and a lot of productivity programs often have quite a bit in common as for performance and system requirements. 

ok ... not sure what you're saying here.

Apple used to have PPC CPU before they switched to Intel, those PPC CPUs were easily able to keep up with newer Intel and AMD CPUs and architectures (like I said, my PPC Mac G4 @ 1.8Ghz with SDRAM had no problems keeping up with Pentium Ds with DDR). Apple switching to Intel then had to directly compete with the PC market (it's Intel architectures on "both sides" now). So what I meant was, it makes sense that older Macs with the same Intel CPU than PCs don't age as well as the PPC Macs.

2 hours ago, DirtyDane said:

Want to hear a joke?

Pre-Builts.

Christian 

Use the following style specs in your sig to spread the LTT revolution!

Rig Specs:

Screeninator: Gigabyte GeForce GTX960

Powermathingy: Corsair CX600W

Stickiminator: 2x G.Skill ARES 4GB DDR3-1866

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8350 @4.1GHz 1.3V

Holdametalicizor: DIYPC Gamemax-BK

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

Attachamathingy: ASRock 990FX Extreme9

Remembrerthing: Western Digital 1TB Blue, Western Digital 40GB Blue

Flat-Colorful-Thing: Acer K272HL

See-A-Move-O: Logitech Hyperion Fury G402

ButtonBoard: Cooler Master CMSTORM Devastator Blue

Talkamagargle: Blue Snowball Ice

3 minutes ago, MDPS said:

Want to hear a joke?

Pre-Builts.

Oh yeah?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

7 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Oh yeah?

ORIGIN and DigitalStorm really make nice computers.

they also have lifetime of the computer service, for like 100$. they'll update the parts in your rig for you, overclock for you, everything. shits rad.

makes giving someone like me a rig like most other people on LTT or RTW so goddamn easy.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

4 hours ago, DirtyDane said:

every time i go to troubleshoot something. i get my hopes up and pray to the almighty god above that they have windows 2000 and it ends up something like this 

ive always wanted that to happen for real

I'm pretty sure theres just a .exe somewhere out there that does this with a certian hotkey....

now I wanna find it.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

1 hour ago, BurgerBum said:

I'm pretty sure theres just a .exe somewhere out there that does this with a certian hotkey....

now I wanna find it.

WE MUST FIND IT

Spoiler

4 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

ok ... not sure what you're saying here.

Apple used to have PPC CPU before they switched to Intel, those PPC CPUs were easily able to keep up with newer Intel and AMD CPUs and architectures (like I said, my PPC Mac G4 @ 1.8Ghz with SDRAM had no problems keeping up with Pentium Ds with DDR). Apple switching to Intel then had to directly compete with the PC market (it's Intel architectures on "both sides" now). So what I meant was, it makes sense that older Macs with the same Intel CPU than PCs don't age as well as the PPC Macs.

Ahh okay. 

Specs:

3 hours ago, BurgerBum said:

now I wanna find it.

I wish there was... I wish there was :P But if you listen closely they use the same error sound over and over but pitch shifted, so even if you made all these popups and sounds play to the right "beat", it wouldn't sound anything like this unfortunately.

Also, @DirtyDane I'm pretty sure it was XP in the "classic" theme and not 2000 since it briefly flashes the welcome screen at least once.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.