Experiences with non-techies

2 hours ago, Fetzie said:

The 5 1/4 inch floppies were rather floppy, even in their case :)

True, though nowadays not many people would know that (I mean the younger crowd on this forum).

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

41 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

True, though nowadays not many people would know that (I mean the younger crowd on this forum).

Yeah I used 3.5" floppies a bit but I've never even seen one of the larger ones in real life :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

11 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah I used 3.5" floppies a bit but I've never even seen one of the larger ones in real life :P 

Full size 5 1/4 floppies are really floppy, like a thin stack of paper.

"Can you make 15 copies of this floppy disk? It has my CV on it and I want to send out applications for a job"

- my 58 year old uncle

The most advanced piece of technology that he owns is a 32" plasma TV. From 2008. And a VCR. From 2004.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

16 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I never used the large one, but my cousin had some and showed them to me, but I used the small ones and we still have copies of MS-Dos and Word.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

4 hours ago, revsilverspine said:

"Can you make 15 copies of this floppy disk? It has my CV on it and I want to send out applications for a job"

- my 58 year old uncle

The most advanced piece of technology that he owns is a 32" plasma TV. From 2008. And a VCR. From 2004.

Wait, so he was going to send floppies with the file instead of just printing it?  That's a little odd even with a modern medium :P 

9 minutes ago, matrix07012 said:

I never used the large one, but my cousin had some and showed them to me, but I used the small ones and we still have copies of MS-Dos and Word.

It's weird how the "large capacity" ones were like 8", but then they actually started holding way more as they shrunk physically.  afaik the 1.44 MB 3.5" floppies hold more than any other ones, even the ones that were bigger. I'm kind of glad they haven't done the same thing with hard drives or we'd be using these by now :D 

411fRhpUg7L._SY355_.jpg

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 5/16/2016 at 6:39 PM, Lurick said:

LOL!

I always thought that floppy disks got their name from the original 5 1/4" disks which were pretty floppy.

The is even a bigger one at 8 inch

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, NumLock21 said:

The is even a bigger one at 8 inch

An 8 inch magnetic dick?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

An 8 inch magnetic dick?

Yes 8 inch disk

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Person 1: "I am going to store my games on the RAM because it is so fast!"

Person 2: "But RAM needs power to keep data, you can't do that"

Person 1: "I am just going to dedicate the RAM for storage, so I can turn off my computer"

Person 2: "Okay" *Confused face*

Overheard this while in a class. Wanted to intervene so bad, but I would have to talk louder for them to hear me, and that would probably disrupt the class.

Person 2 was converted to the stupid side, and believed person 1. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

On 5/9/2016 at 3:05 AM, wkdpaul said:

So this just happened, we had network problems earlier, this office lady calls me saying her computer was acting up after the network came back, she did a reboot but now her PC isn't working.

I show up, the PC is off so I press the power button, the PC open and she goes"ahhh it was just closed?" ... lol I made a WTF face and I think she saw it, she apologized and said she must've clicked shutdown instead.

... writing this was longer than fix that problem! :D

I work in schools doing IT and I get this daily.. Even PD doesn't seem to help. lol

2 hours ago, connorpiper said:

Person 1: "I am going to store my games on the RAM because it is so fast!"

Person 2: "But RAM needs power to keep data, you can't do that"

Person 1: "I am just going to dedicate the RAM for storage, so I can turn off my computer"

Person 2: "Okay" *Confused face*

Overheard this while in a class. Wanted to intervene so bad, but I would have to talk louder for them to hear me, and that would probably disrupt the class.

Person 2 was converted to the stupid side, and believed person 1. 

What about RAMDisk?

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

2 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

What about RAMDisk?

yeah that's what it'd take but just my judgement of how that conversation went makes me think neither of them knew about it :)

46 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

What about RAMDisk?

Which has to re-write the data to the RAM when you turn off the computer and on again. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

my sister had trouble plugging a usb in today. And i would have thought tgat she was the smart oje in thr house! (Except for me of course)

A fellow tech support brags that he helped his friend to choose a computer for their office. I asked what specs did you recommend? He said "Just Right", "Enough for their needs". And yeah! he was not even able to say any single specs. He just know the brand. 

38 minutes ago, 1shanghai said:

my sister had trouble plugging a usb in today. And i would have thought tgat she was the smart oje in thr house! (Except for me of course)

A common mistake people make is to just try and plug it in straight away - this will cause you to fail, flip it, try again, fail again, flip it again and then succeed due to USB superposition (see below).  To avoid this, you must observe the port directly.  As with quantum particles, this forces it to immediately collapse the probability wave and choose one of the many states it previously occupied simultaneously. xD

kYGTLjc.png

Someone on 9gag found this on ArsTechnica

image.jpg

"Professional tech review"

And this is the second most upvoted comment:

"Captain" here
It's actually true. The ps4 has 8gb of gddr5 memory, which is shared for the graphics card and normal Ram. Pcs haven't used gddr5 memory for a graphics card yet until this one.
So it doesn't mean it's gonna have the same process power as a console, just that it now uses the same technology.
*Flies away in 4k*

GDDR5 has been used for many years in most graphics cards. Only the really bad ones like GT 730 and lower didn't use it.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

5 hours ago, matrix07012 said:

"Professional tech review"

And this is the second most upvoted comment:

"Captain" here
It's actually true. The ps4 has 8gb of gddr5 memory, which is shared for the graphics card and normal Ram. Pcs haven't used gddr5 memory for a graphics card yet until this one.
So it doesn't mean it's gonna have the same process power as a console, just that it now uses the same technology.
*Flies away in 4k*

GDDR5 has been used for many years in most graphics cards. Only the really bad ones like GT 730 and lower didn't use it.

WHAT THE F... "Professional" my ass ... plus that comment is from a retard, my HD7870 that was released in 2012 has GDDR5!

idiots!

EDIT : Ha! they changed the review, the thing about the 8GB of GDDR5 and console isn't there anymore.

well im finnaly back! god that was a stressful week. passed the cert though. Can someone catch me up on what ive missed here so far

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf. I know that there are things in this world that I do not know and that makes me wise!”

Spoiler

Use the following style specs for your profile!
Screeninator:  Asus GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB
Powermathingy: EVGA 500W
Stickaminator: Crucial 16GB 「4x4GB」DDR3-1600
Procrastinator: Intel i5-4460 3.2ghz
Holdametalicizor:  Corsair 200R 
Noisoundacreator:  Razer kracken pro
Attatchamajiggy :  Asrock H97 Anniversairy ATX LGA1150
Remembrerthing:  i've got a-lot of drives
Flat-Colorful-Thing:  LG not actually sure the model of it
See-A-Move-O: Razer Mamba 2012
ButtonBoard:  Razer Deathstalker 

4 minutes ago, DirtyDane said:

well im finnaly back! god that was a stressful week. passed the cert though. Can someone catch me up on what ive missed here so far

you didn't miss much, the GTX 1080 paper release and people being idiots as usual. Congrats BTW.

7 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

you didn't miss much, the GTX 1080 paper release and people being idiots as usual. Congrats BTW.

thanks man but any news on the gtx 1080 i didnt see the preformance review video yet

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf. I know that there are things in this world that I do not know and that makes me wise!”

Spoiler

Use the following style specs for your profile!
Screeninator:  Asus GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB
Powermathingy: EVGA 500W
Stickaminator: Crucial 16GB 「4x4GB」DDR3-1600
Procrastinator: Intel i5-4460 3.2ghz
Holdametalicizor:  Corsair 200R 
Noisoundacreator:  Razer kracken pro
Attatchamajiggy :  Asrock H97 Anniversairy ATX LGA1150
Remembrerthing:  i've got a-lot of drives
Flat-Colorful-Thing:  LG not actually sure the model of it
See-A-Move-O: Razer Mamba 2012
ButtonBoard:  Razer Deathstalker 

2 minutes ago, DirtyDane said:

thanks man but any news on the gtx 1080 i didnt see the preformance review video yet

check most of them, LTT, Jay and Tek have good reviews, worth watching! Personally after seeing the reviews I'm more hopeful about the 1070. If what I'm hoping is true that could mean used 980ti are gonna be cheap! lol

24 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

check most of them, LTT, Jay and Tek have good reviews, worth watching! Personally after seeing the reviews I'm more hopeful about the 1070. If what I'm hoping is true that could mean used 980ti are gonna be cheap! lol

At first people were thinking (myself included) that if the new cards were that much more powerful, the 90 series would get really cheap on the used market, but the new ones will probably be priced so high that it won't really put any pressure on them :(

50 minutes ago, DirtyDane said:

Grats on the cert, which one did you take?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: