Experiences with non-techies

Well that's Microsoft's fault for fucking up their own legacy code...

Yeah I heard the reason they jumped right to Windows 10 instead of Windows 9 is because some old programs used to check the version by looking at the product name string up to that point, so for Windows 95 or 98, it would read up to "Windows 9" and then know it was one of those.  :lol:

A guy who works in my department, asked a non-tech to right-click on the desktop... She wrote "click" in permanent marker on the monitor "Right"

Wait, so she literally wrote "right click" on the monitor? That's beyond being not-tech-savvy... that's just basic language skills; if you told her to drive to the store and buy eggs, would she just write the word eggs on her car? 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

My friend is in the shell on his Chromebook and is trying to tell me that he can monitor what is going on in the network with it. It's literally just the processes running on his Chromebook.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Wait, so she literally wrote "right click" on the monitor? That's beyond being not-tech-savvy... that's just basic language skills; if you told her to drive to the store and buy eggs, would she just write the word eggs on her car? 

No, she misheard 'right' for write....

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

No, she misheard 'right' for write....

oh lol I just got that  :lol:  wow, why would anyone possibly think that was a good idea?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I have been through this thread quite a few times yet I have not posted anything so here we go....

So as a side job a work at a computer repair store near my house and have seen quite the show, most of the people we get in are great to talk with anywhere from a war vet to your average stay at home mom who has a lot on her mind. Anyways I think the best experiences I have had are when people come in to have there computer worked on and find out that we also do recycling and don't charge for it unless it is a CRT monitor or T.V. Most of the time the stuff they bring in is old Dell Dimensions 2400s or T.Vs but you will sometimes have people who bring in a 4 year old computer and give it to us all because they just upgraded to a Surface pro or something and the 4 year old system is "just to slow and outdated" so needless to say most of our parts/stock is from old systems people bring in and consider outdated, so far the best being my current main system case and a Pentium E5300 that overclocks like a bat out of hell :P No IBM PS/2 yet :rolleyes:   

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

So theres this kid that thinks I DDoSed him... Even though he caught my other friend redhanded... And then while I am playing some CS:GO on that friends server, my ping soars to 600+ ping... 

Time for my friend to break out the 120gb/s booter...

Just an idiot thinking an I did it, with no evidence, no logic behind his reasoning... Dammit people are stupid... And I warned him about that too... God people can be so stupid..

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

Still not a big deal at all. You can touch the pins on an amd cpu and it'll still work.

That doesn't mean you should though...

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

My friend asked me what GPU I have:

Me: AMD 7950

Him: They made 7950 Cards?! When's the 7951 coming out then?

Me: Epic face-palm. No that's the name of the card, not how many were made.

Him: Oh. Would it would on my laptop?

Me: No, you need a desktop PC. 

Him: Oh. Okay.

I don't know the situation or context of this story, but it seems to me like your friend is just trying to talk and relate to you... 

I don't know the situation or context of this story, but it seems to me like your friend is just trying to talk and relate to you... 

He was, I had a 2 hour long convo with him. I taught him the basics of a PC, each component. He is still interested. :) 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

347726a5764b9af8bedaa9a71be1ae18.jpg

My dad showed me this app, similar to Craigslist where people sell stuff locally, I found this

There's always Marktplaats (Dutch eBay thingy)

post-294414-14533616611268_thumb.png

Let me just.....

The title says it's a PowerMac G3

On the picture there's a PowerMac G5

And in the "model" tab he entered it's a Mac Pro

And then he asks 400 freaking euros for it.

Yeah, right.....

im bored and still working my way through the entire post but i might as well share a simple and short story i have. i recently started carrying a rythm game i really like by the name of osu! on a usb drive (the same one i have kali linux on and putty) not the brightest of things to mix but who cares its fun to play in homeroom since im good at it. but for some strange reason that never ceases to amaze me even my resonably tech savy friends were suprised that i was able to run it off a flash drive. as if this was a new concept (tech savy as in he has enough intuition to figure out how to modify games and play with file systems nothing amazing but hes not an idiot with them at least) it was kinda funny. now its sorta snowballed into a tradition of playing it taking turns or just whatching me kick ass at it in homeroom at the end of each day. god i have way too much time on my hands.

That reminds me i doubt one exists but does anyone know of a super low latency remote access program that would make it viable to play maybe basic games from low end rigs on other networks. kinda like steams in home streaming, but without the hassle of the port forwarding etc. 

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf. I know that there are things in this world that I do not know and that makes me wise!”

Spoiler

Use the following style specs for your profile!
Screeninator:  Asus GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB
Powermathingy: EVGA 500W
Stickaminator: Crucial 16GB 「4x4GB」DDR3-1600
Procrastinator: Intel i5-4460 3.2ghz
Holdametalicizor:  Corsair 200R 
Noisoundacreator:  Razer kracken pro
Attatchamajiggy :  Asrock H97 Anniversairy ATX LGA1150
Remembrerthing:  i've got a-lot of drives
Flat-Colorful-Thing:  LG not actually sure the model of it
See-A-Move-O: Razer Mamba 2012
ButtonBoard:  Razer Deathstalker 

im bored and still working my way through the entire post but i might as well share a simple and short story i have. i recently started carrying a rythm game i really like by the name of osu! on a usb drive (the same one i have kali linux on and putty) not the brightest of things to mix but who cares its fun to play in homeroom since im good at it. but for some strange reason that never ceases to amaze me even my resonably tech savy friends were suprised that i was able to run it off a flash drive. as if this was a new concept (tech savy as in he has enough intuition to figure out how to modify games and play with file systems nothing amazing but hes not an idiot with them at least) it was kinda funny. now its sorta snowballed into a tradition of playing it taking turns or just whatching me kick ass at it in homeroom at the end of each day. god i have way too much time on my hands.

That reminds me i doubt one exists but does anyone know of a super low latency remote access program that would make it viable to play maybe basic games from low end rigs on other networks. kinda like steams in home streaming, but without the hassle of the port forwarding etc. 

You cannot have low latency without port forwarding... Anything that doesn't need port forwarding is relayed through the Internet.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

You cannot have low latency without port forwarding... Anything that doesn't need port forwarding is relayed through the Internet.

oh well thanks anyway (wasnt sure about it. im studying networking right now so ive got alot to learn. figured it couldnt hurt to ask.)

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf. I know that there are things in this world that I do not know and that makes me wise!”

Spoiler

Use the following style specs for your profile!
Screeninator:  Asus GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB
Powermathingy: EVGA 500W
Stickaminator: Crucial 16GB 「4x4GB」DDR3-1600
Procrastinator: Intel i5-4460 3.2ghz
Holdametalicizor:  Corsair 200R 
Noisoundacreator:  Razer kracken pro
Attatchamajiggy :  Asrock H97 Anniversairy ATX LGA1150
Remembrerthing:  i've got a-lot of drives
Flat-Colorful-Thing:  LG not actually sure the model of it
See-A-Move-O: Razer Mamba 2012
ButtonBoard:  Razer Deathstalker 

My school has Pentium 4's and Pentium Ds, along with Celerons from 2003-4-5-6 and Athlons, with like 768MB of ram and 60GB HDDs. The new ones have G3XXX Pentiums, 4GB of RAM and 500GB HDDs.

lol, my friend found our school computers for around £60 which equals currently around $85 to my estimates.  lol, Optiplex 745.  

Here is the link to it: http://goo.gl/mRBvWG

so i should soak my pc before touching it? because i want to avoid static electricity at all costs

That's not humidity. Humidity is the amount of moisture in the air. Water touching electrical components directly can cause corrosion and erosion over time.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

That's not humidity. Humidity is the amount of moisture in the air. Water touching electrical components directly can cause corrosion and erosion over time.

I would think the presence of water at all would be a bigger issue than corrosion over time :P

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

lol man, I was able to get a Gigabyte Windforce HD7870 for 70CAD ... I thought "hey I'm gonna sell my Asus HD7770 DirectCU for 50CAD and the HD7870 will have only cost me 20CAD!!!!111"

Truns out most HD7770 on ebay sell for 80CAD and up!!!! lol WTF???

EDIT :

BTW, the HD7770 I have I bought 50CAD a year ago, even on the local classified they now sell for 70CAD and up! people have no clue! lol Time to go back on eBay and profit from the low CAD!!!

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

I've been reading this thread from page 1 for about a week now at work ( I work security so I just sit and watch cameras all day) and I've just now realized that theres a "jump to page" option.  I've been manually going through the pages to find where I left off the day before ha ha.  

I was asking someone in class next to me what version of Linux they were going to install on their laptop for schoolwork as it's a requirement to use it. He turned around and looked me straight in the face and said "Linux doesn't run on laptops." What in the actual fuck. This happened in a college level computer science class.   

to be fair, SOME laptops have so many driver problems in linux that it won't work, but still.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

There's this guy at work who's is stubborn as fuck. Hes also Christian (possibly related to stubbornness, can explain). He kept on insisting to me that Norton is the out and out BEST because they include it in currys PC world bundles with laptops and all the biggest business' use Norton aswell......

When I was building my first computer my dad was watching me pick out parts to make sure I didn't go way out of budget. When I put the video card in the cart and he realized that it was about 70% of my budget he protested saying "aren't graphics cards the type of part that's really expensive when they come out and then cost like $100 less in a year?" 

I replied "Often yes"

"Then why are you spending so much on a graphics card when it's gonna cost $100 less next year?"

He kept repeating that no matter what graphics card I showed him and it took an absurd amount of convincing to get him to approve of my choice.

To this day he thinks that nobody should ever buy graphics cards since they lose value over time

When I was building my first computer my dad was watching me pick out parts to make sure I didn't go way out of budget. When I put the video card in the cart and he realized that it was about 70% of my budget he protested saying "aren't graphics cards the type of part that's really expensive when they come out and then cost like $100 less in a year?" 

I replied "Often yes"

"Then why are you spending so much on a graphics card when it's gonna cost $100 less next year?"

He kept repeating that no matter what graphics card I showed him and it took an absurd amount of convincing to get him to approve of my choice.

To this day he thinks that nobody should ever buy graphics cards since they lose value over time

Well, not always ;) (see below)

But seriously, by that logic, you should never buy any technology, or a car, or food, etc. :P

but for some strange reason that never ceases to amaze me even my resonably tech savy friends were suprised that i was able to run it off a flash drive. 

I think that can be due to people who either a: never ventured outside the realm of windows (where the vast majority of things have to be "installed" which plants all sorts of registry keys and other crap scattered all around the computer, so just having a copy of the game folder will not cut it), and/or b: are fairly new to the tech scene (this "must be installed" behaviour is and has been pretty popular for a long while, but there was a time when it was considerably less prevalent, and more often than not, you could just grab the program or game folder and carry it around).

Or, it could be any or no reason at all if they are simply someone who doesn't experiment with things like this :)

lol man, I was able to get a Gigabyte Windforce HD7870 for 70CAD ... I thought "hey I'm gonna sell my Asus HD7770 DirectCU for 50CAD and the HD7870 will have only cost me 20CAD!!!!111"

Truns out most HD7770 on ebay sell for 80CAD and up!!!! lol WTF???

EDIT :

BTW, the HD7770 I have I bought 50CAD a year ago, even on the local classified they now sell for 70CAD and up! people have no clue! lol Time to go back on eBay and profit from the low CAD!!!

Yeah I've seen some several year old GPUs going (used) for more now than they cost when they were brand new!  It's ridiculous... I guess it's all Americans buying them (?) since with the exchange rate, it's a good price  :lol:

so at our school we have this class called infomatica (in English: ict). what we have learned this past 2 blocks: learned how to use windows 8 (fair some people only use mac computers. but still really boring for people who have used it for the than a year. so yea that was a boring couple of weeks). we also learned how to use word (really really teacher everybody knows how to use word its not hard to use) and work in the cloud (one-drive ore equal this was a bit little off fun since i never had really worked in the cloud) but here the sad part i asked in class if we may upgrade to windows 10 to which he said yes so about i week later i find myself using windows 10 white 2 others while the other 26 did not bother switching so i asked a kid why they did not upgrade jet there answer: windows 10 is crap and worse than windows 8. wtf windows 10 is better in almost every way. note: the next part was not in ict class. so i was trying white google chrome to go and make some of my homework on my school laptop (has win 10 installed on it) and there i was at the site and it was saying that the connection timed out so i refresh the page and same happens. so i switch to IE t o try it again(yes i know but generally this will work if a site is broken on a browser). and this time it works ad then i was wtf why does it not work on chrome but it does on ie and then it came to me that its a site to learn on and that they all somehow prefer IE over something else. well thanks norhoff and ThiemeMeulenhoff for not being up to date and really safe to use
specs for the school laptop: http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/462876/hp-x360-310-g2-n1a35ea/specificaties/
(there decent for school and some light gaming (it can run minecraft))

Specs: CPU: I5 6600K (4.5 GHZ), GPU: RX 480 (stock), Mobo: MSI Z170A tomahawk AC, RAM: Corsair 16GB drr4 2600, CASE: NZXT S340, storage 240GB crusial SSD and a 1TB WD HHD

I replied "Often yes"

I love his reasoning... You should have pointed out that he owns a car, or pretty much anything that's land as it will depreciate over time. 

By that reasoning, you wouldn't have a computer since every part is worth less than when you bought it.