Experiences with non-techies

Lol true

But they are not THAT tech savvy, and my mom wants me to get an expensive laptop for my study just to be sure it's a good one.

Use this opportunity to get a nice gaming laptop!

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

My little brother used to think that the more data you store on an HDD, the heavier the component gets. He also thought that if you pivot the monitor clockwise during a transfer of files or an installation, it would go faster because the gravity would help the loading bar fill faster...^^

The second one is silly, but all the data is made of electrons which do have weight. So if you store more data on your Hard Dr8ve it does get heavier. Though the difference is so small that you'd need the world's most accurate weight meter to see any difference.

The second one is silly, but all the data is made of electrons which do have weight. So if you store more data on your Hard Dr8ve it does get heavier. Though the difference is so small that you'd need the world's most accurate weight meter to see any difference.

1- Don't bring this up... It has derailed this thread MANY times.

2- The post is over 3 years old.

what about this :

I lost faith in humanity too...

post-243373-0-28965300-1453502831_thumb.

post-243373-0-36077300-1453502852_thumb.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

snip

going to hell this but that username

Specs: CPU: I5 6600K (4.5 GHZ), GPU: RX 480 (stock), Mobo: MSI Z170A tomahawk AC, RAM: Corsair 16GB drr4 2600, CASE: NZXT S340, storage 240GB crusial SSD and a 1TB WD HHD

NO!!! DON'T BRING THIS SHIT BACK UP AGAIN!

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

what about this :

I lost faith in humanity too...

Personally I lost faith in humanity decades ago when I was working retail ... that's when I learned something not many of us are aware of;

regular Joe/Jane is dumb AF... seriously, common sense is way less common than you might think!

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Personally I lost faith in humanity decades ago when I was working retail ... that's when I learned something not many of us are aware of;

regular Joe/Jane is dumb AF... seriously, common sense is way less common than you might think!

how can i like this comment more than once ?

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

My dad used to say that the faster I clicked the more damage I was doing to our old pentium 4 machine. I was literally clicking my way through websites and reading and he would kick me off it. I got so frustrated I laughed. kinda nostalgic

My dad used to say that the faster I clicked the more damage I was doing to our old pentium 4 machine. I was literally clicking my way through websites and reading and he would kick me off it. I got so frustrated I laughed. kinda nostalgic

God he must hate cookie clicker should he find out about it.

But then again I could break your machine just by looking at it the wrong way

Need I say more ?

-For the glory of Agatha!-

I'm sorry Beatrice, but any beige computer makes anyone look the polar opposite of tech-savvy.

In reality, I hope this actress knows better

My dad (who, in most respects, is very knowledgeable about computers) honestly believes that having too many browser tabs is the source of all my computer issues. My old computer had an issue with its sound and my dad attributed it to me "killing the machine by having too many tabs open." The issue eventually sorted itself out. I just hope he never sees my sister's browser, because she's the kind of person who opens so many tabs that you can't even see the page icons anymore.

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

Oh, this one was actually me about 3 years ago.

My old HP prebuilt PC broke down after about 6 years and it was sitting around for a long time. One day, I finally decided to take out the hard drive so we could throw out the system. I didn't know what anything was. I took out the optical drive, saw 'storage' written somewhere on it in small font and decided that was the hard drive. The PC sat around with the actual hard drive in it for another couple days until it was thrown out. I constantly kept saying we should get all of our data off that 'hard drive'. When I realized my mistake about 6 months later, I just shut up about it and everybody seems to have forgotten about it.

We had so much shit on that hard drive.

Oh, this one was actually me about 3 years ago.

My old HP prebuilt PC broke down after about 6 years and it was sitting around for a long time. One day, I finally decided to take out the hard drive so we could throw out the system. I didn't know what anything was. I took out the optical drive, saw 'storage' written somewhere on it in small font and decided that was the hard drive. The PC sat around with the actual hard drive in it for another couple days until it was thrown out. I constantly kept saying we should get all of our data off that 'hard drive'. When I realized my mistake about 6 months later, I just shut up about it and everybody seems to have forgotten about it.

We had so much shit on that hard drive.

........ could be worse 5 years ago i thought you could upgrade a gpu in a netbook... 

EDIT: correction it was 7 years ago lol

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf. I know that there are things in this world that I do not know and that makes me wise!”

Spoiler

Use the following style specs for your profile!
Screeninator:  Asus GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB
Powermathingy: EVGA 500W
Stickaminator: Crucial 16GB 「4x4GB」DDR3-1600
Procrastinator: Intel i5-4460 3.2ghz
Holdametalicizor:  Corsair 200R 
Noisoundacreator:  Razer kracken pro
Attatchamajiggy :  Asrock H97 Anniversairy ATX LGA1150
Remembrerthing:  i've got a-lot of drives
Flat-Colorful-Thing:  LG not actually sure the model of it
See-A-Move-O: Razer Mamba 2012
ButtonBoard:  Razer Deathstalker 

I have a non-techie friend who boasts of his "upgraded" computer. He said it's very fast now because he added 3TB of storage.

Well my computer for a fact got very fast, in fact 10x faster when I added 128 GB more storage!

(When I moved windows onto a 128 GB SSD).

And then it got even faster still when I added 2 Tb of more storage!!!

(2 x 1 Tb Sammy Evo SSDs in raid 0).

So never underestimate the importance of more storage vastly improving your PCs speed.

Linus is my fetish.

Need I say more ?

attachicon.gifCd_reader_used_as_a_cup_holder.jpg

Given that there is no real need for optical drives, using them as cup holders doesn't seem too strange.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Use this opportunity to get a nice gaming laptop!

Was thinking about that, but can't really go over 900 euros because budget doesn't reach any further.

I'm already getting a nice graphics card for my PC, and I will probably be gaming on my PC only, so I don't really see the point of having a gaming laptop.

I'm still thinking about it, and still got a couple of months to think

My school has Pentium 4's and Pentium Ds, along with Celerons from 2003-4-5-6 and Athlons, with like 768MB of ram and 60GB HDDs. The new ones have G3XXX Pentiums, 4GB of RAM and 500GB HDDs.

Hehe we have i5 4590s with 16gigs of ram :)

Please don't necro this stupid, pointless argument.

1- Don't bring this up... It has derailed this thread MANY times.

2- The post is over 3 years old.

NO!!! DON'T BRING THIS SHIT BACK UP AGAIN!

^listen to these two.

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

Please don't necro this stupid, pointless argument.

^listen to these two.

Woah... I was just casually browsing this thread and wanted to point this out, I didn't know the thread has 1000 pages and that this particular post derailed it many times.

Sorry

Woah... I was just casually browsing this thread and wanted to point this out, I didn't know the thread has 1000 pages and that this particular post derailed it many times.

Sorry

It's fine, but there's like 50 pages where all there is is that argument xD

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

Given that there is no real need for optical drives, using them as cup holders doesn't seem too strange.

Given the amount of complaints here about internet speeds and caps there is every need for some sort of optical drive (even for good connection areas most ISPs do have down time so 'just in case' drives are a thing).

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Given the amount of complaints here about internet speeds and caps there is every need for some sort of optical drive (even for good connection areas most ISPs do have down time so 'just in case' drives are a thing).

this is true for the vast majority of users, personally the only time I will use my optical drive is when I revisit some old games I have. All of the current softwares and drivers I need are all on my NAS, I always download the standalone versions just for that and I seriously don't remember the last time I had to use the included CD to install a driver!!!

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !