Experiences with non-techies

My friend said he needed to upgrade his GPU from his old GPU which he swore he had in his PC. I opened it up and guess what? He didn't have a GPU.

I just noticed I used "GPU" a lot in that post :P

• AMD Athlon X4 760K CPU   |   MSI FM2+ ATX A88X-G45 Motherboard   |   8GB 1600MHz RAM   |   MSI GTX 760 GPU (Reference)
  • Thermaltake Versa H22 Case   |   1TB Seagate, 0.5TB Hitachi (7200RPM)   |   ArcticRed+ 700WStock    |   Windows 8.1

*snip*

Yeah that second story sounds a little familiar.  That's one of my most despised things; when websites only work in IE.  Why that was ever a thing will baffle me forever but the fact that some pages are still like that is 10 times worse!  Any company that does that should just be erased!  It's of course the worst when you have to use that site for work or school or something (luckily I never have had to).  It's like if you were only allowed to drive on some highways if you were driving a ford pinto*! rage.gif

* For those that don't know, they had 2 terrible defects that worked in evil synergy.  When rear-ended, the frame would crumple in such a way that the doors would jam trapping you inside, and the gas tank would also rupture, so you'd go up in flames.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Yeah I've seen some several year old GPUs going (used) for more now than they cost when they were brand new!  It's ridiculous... I guess it's all Americans buying them (?) since with the exchange rate, it's a good price  :lol:

That's what I thought also because I was looking for 7870, 7950 and 7970's and man are they expensive on eBay ... around 300CAD for a used and a few generation old GPU when I can buy the "updated equivalent" R7/9 3** for the same price???

I also saw some people selling their used HD7770 for 150CAD ... when you can buy a R7 250x for less! lol I'm telling you, some people need a good kick!

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

My father, who is losing his hearing from working in a factory for a few decades, thinks he can hear the 1's and 0's on CD's.  And that is the reason his old vinyl records sound so much better than CD's.  I think it has more do with that he has only listened to CD's on a $40 boombox, while he has a $6500 system (factoring in inflation) for his vinyl.

I would think the presence of water at all would be a bigger issue than corrosion over time :P

Water being present in the air alone does not affect electronics.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Water being present in the air alone does not affect electronics.

I think he was more referring to the fact he was dunking his components in water to stop static from being a problem

Spoiler

Future build:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGgNJx

Current build: (laptop)

Use the following style specs for your profile!
Specs:
Screeninator: Intel Graphics 5500
Stickaminator: Hyandai 12GB DDR3 RAM (1x8GB, 1x4GB)
Procrastinator: Intel i5-5500U @ 2.2 GHz
Noisoundacreator: TURTLE BEACH PX4
Remembrerthing: WD 1TB Blue HDD
Flat-Colorful-Thing: Samsung SyncMaster 2323Y
See-A-Move-O: Tecknet M288

People thinking CTRL stands for central...

wait, that doesn't actually happen, does it?  :blink:

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

man, when you're customer or tech support, you're not surprised by stuff like this anymore!!!

On occasion I've taught what the Windows key was and how to use it ... to people that had been using Windows computers for decades ... seriously! (They knew the key was there, they just didn't know the use and never pressed it!)

A friend that is customer support for B2B told me that some of the people he talks to are so clueless he's amazed they are still in business! lol

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

to be fair, SOME laptops have so many driver problems in linux that it won't work, but still.

Very true. 

Yeah that second story sounds a little familiar.  That's one of my most despised things; when websites only work in IE.  Why that was ever a thing will baffle me forever but the fact that some pages are still like that is 10 times worse!  Any company that does that should just be erased!  It's of course the worst when you have to use that site for work or school or something (luckily I never have had to).  It's like if you were only allowed to drive on some highways if you were driving a ford pinto*! rage.gif

* For those that don't know, they had 2 terrible defects that worked in evil synergy.  When rear-ended, the frame would crumple in such a way that the doors would jam trapping you inside, and the gas tank would also rupture, so you'd go up in flames.

The Cisco Net Academy assessments only work in Edge for me :/

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Well, not always ;) (see below)

But seriously, by that logic, you should never buy any technology, or a car, or food, etc. :P

I think that can be due to people who either a: never ventured outside the realm of windows (where the vast majority of things have to be "installed" which plants all sorts of registry keys and other crap scattered all around the computer, so just having a copy of the game folder will not cut it), and/or b: are fairly new to the tech scene (this "must be installed" behaviour is and has been pretty popular for a long while, but there was a time when it was considerably less prevalent, and more often than not, you could just grab the program or game folder and carry it around).

Or, it could be any or no reason at all if they are simply someone who doesn't experiment with things like this :)

yeah i just like screwing with things. not that thats even remotely interesting carrying a music game on a flashdrive. NOW lets talk about the worst security sin in history. student passwords that at pre generated and non changable. like i swear to god half the time you just gotta know someones name and birthday...

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf. I know that there are things in this world that I do not know and that makes me wise!”

Spoiler

Screeninator:  Asus GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB
Powermathingy: EVGA 500W
Stickaminator: Crucial 16GB 「4x4GB」DDR3-1600
Procrastinator: Intel i5-4460 3.2ghz
Holdametalicizor:  Corsair 200R 
Noisoundacreator:  Razer kracken pro
Attatchamajiggy :  Asrock H97 Anniversairy ATX LGA1150
Remembrerthing:  i've got a-lot of drives
Flat-Colorful-Thing:  LG not actually sure the model of it
See-A-Move-O: Razer Mamba 2012
ButtonBoard:  Razer Deathstalker 

yeah i just like screwing with things. not that thats even remotely interesting carrying a music game on a flashdrive. NOW lets talk about the worst security sin in history. student passwords that at pre generated and non changable. like i swear to god half the time you just gotta know someones name and birthday...

Why weren't they changeable!?  I remember when we got our school accounts in elementary: not only did they ask us what password we wanted to start with, but we could change them at will and were encouraged to do so.

I've heard it far too many times at school...

Why weren't they changeable!?  I remember when we got our school accounts in elementary: not only did they ask us what password we wanted to start with, but we could change them at will and were encouraged to do so.

I KNOW RIGHT!!!! its fun to piss people off by logging into their user right before they do so they cant. whats worse is taht the unrestricted (still not admin obviously but it has no restrictions on its actions) public account used for certain computers is accessible anywhere. so i can literally do what ever i want and they cant figure out who it was (well they could easilly if they cared) but thats a story for another time. i usually just remote to my home computer instead i prefer libre office and stuffs over word etc

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf. I know that there are things in this world that I do not know and that makes me wise!”

Spoiler

Screeninator:  Asus GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB
Powermathingy: EVGA 500W
Stickaminator: Crucial 16GB 「4x4GB」DDR3-1600
Procrastinator: Intel i5-4460 3.2ghz
Holdametalicizor:  Corsair 200R 
Noisoundacreator:  Razer kracken pro
Attatchamajiggy :  Asrock H97 Anniversairy ATX LGA1150
Remembrerthing:  i've got a-lot of drives
Flat-Colorful-Thing:  LG not actually sure the model of it
See-A-Move-O: Razer Mamba 2012
ButtonBoard:  Razer Deathstalker 

So in class one day my teacher asked "Is anyone in here good with computers?"

My gf said my name to annoy me and I had to go help the teacher. 

the teacher asked why the computer wasnt turning on, it was unplugged.

Okay, this is not my experience but i heard it first hand from my friend who are working in IT call center department in my campus. So one day, she recieved a call saying that the user doesnt know how to reset her password. My friend knowing that the caller is tech newb guide her patiently as possible and she snapped at one point when the user said "I dont know what browser i am using". My friend muted the phone for a bit and screamed" you dumbass you dont know what browser are you using??? are u living in the 1940s????". Few moments after she calmed down, she continue to assist her.

another day in my campus IT call center.

"Strive to be the best and be the best!"

My friend said he needed to upgrade his GPU from his old GPU which he swore he had in his PC. I opened it up and guess what? He didn't have a GPU.

I just noticed I used "GPU" a lot in that post :P

terminology is pretty important in that matter. a gpu is a graphics processing unit, wich isn't necessarily a dedicated graphics CARD. integrated gpus are still gpus.

terminology is pretty important in that matter. a gpu is a graphics processing unit, wich isn't necessarily a dedicated graphics CARD. integrated gpus are still gpus.

Everyone uses GPU and graphics card interchangeably though and I've never seen it not be clear from the context which was meant.  And that's just when it matters, which it usually doesn't :)

Everyone uses GPU and graphics card interchangeably though and I've never seen it not be clear from the context which was meant.  And that's just when it matters, which it usually doesn't :)

well i only said that because it does matter in this case. the person sees in software that they have a XXXX as gpu. so they think it is a graphics card since everybody uses those terms interchangeably.

well i only said that because it does matter in this case. the person sees in software that they have a XXXX as gpu. so they think it is a graphics card since everybody uses those terms interchangeably.

fair enough :)

So in class one day my teacher asked "Is anyone in here good with computers?"

My gf said my name to annoy me and I had to go help the teacher.

the teacher asked why the computer wasnt turning on, it was unplugged.

God, I wish I had a girlfriend to annoy me with tech...

(Mobile, can't multiquote)

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

To log into to the computers and school assigned email is

Username: First.Last (Computer), First.Last@alamedaclc.org (email)

Password: Aclc1234

And besides the 4 digit numbers, all the user names and passwords are the same for every last person. Maybe you can change the digits if requested, but I doubt everything else though

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Tell him this then walk away, "Conformity doesn't equal superiority."

Exactly. A lot of computers might have HDDs, but if you have little data, it makes more sense to go SSDs.

A lot of businesses also use Apple computers, but they're shit for games

When I was building my first computer my dad was watching me pick out parts to make sure I didn't go way out of budget. When I put the video card in the cart and he realized that it was about 70% of my budget he protested saying "aren't graphics cards the type of part that's really expensive when they come out and then cost like $100 less in a year?"

I replied "Often yes"

"Then why are you spending so much on a graphics card when it's gonna cost $100 less next year?"

He kept repeating that no matter what graphics card I showed him and it took an absurd amount of convincing to get him to approve of my choice.

To this day he thinks that nobody should ever buy graphics cards since they lose value over time

Oh have him try to play crysis with and without a dedicated GPU. Fucking night and day. I hope he knows that the whole computer loses value, along with his car (and house, if possible)