Experiences with non-techies

Oh have him try to play crysis with and without a dedicated GPU. Fucking night and day. I hope he knows that the whole computer loses value, as long with his car (and house, if possible)

I think his dad was saying pick a gtx970 and not a 980ti kinda of thing....

I think his dad was saying pick a gtx970 and not a 980ti kinda of thing....

"To this day he thinks that nobody should ever buy graphics cards since they lose value over time"

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

I told my friend who ones an Xbox 1 that I was building a PC (we all know PC's are better when it comes to resolution and FPS) I tell him how they are better and he replies "Aren't xboxs better because they are using a hdmi cable to connect to the TV which instantly makes them run at 1080p"

I told my friend who ones an Xbox 1 that I was building a PC (we all know PC's are better when it comes to resolution and FPS) I tell him how they are better and he replies "Aren't xboxs better because they are using a hdmi cable to connect to the TV which instantly makes them run at 1080p"

*Face-palm*, well he's a lost cause. Don't know if there is much point in trying to explain.

CPU: i7 6700k | Motherboard: MSI Z170A Gaming M7 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 G.Skill RipJaws V @ 2400mhz | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Twin Frozr | Case: Corsair 300r windowed | Storage: 1TB HDD and 128GB SSD | PSU: Corsair RM850i | Monitor: BenQ xl2420z | Cooler: Corsair h60 | Sound: Astro A40 | Mouse: Razer Taipan | OS: Win 8.1 | PCPartPicker Link: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/xV7tZL

When I was building my first computer my dad was watching me pick out parts to make sure I didn't go way out of budget. When I put the video card in the cart and he realized that it was about 70% of my budget he protested saying "aren't graphics cards the type of part that's really expensive when they come out and then cost like $100 less in a year?"

I replied "Often yes"

"Then why are you spending so much on a graphics card when it's gonna cost $100 less next year?"

He kept repeating that no matter what graphics card I showed him and it took an absurd amount of convincing to get him to approve of my choice.

To this day he thinks that nobody should ever buy graphics cards since they lose value over time

Having non-tech parents is an absolute disaster.

Fortunately, my dad is kinda tech savvy as he's electro-engineer and knows about hardware, and surprisingly much about Windows.. I mean, he can fix a virus infected PC by himself!

Some console gamers should just be left alone, they don't understand and they won't understand.

Oh have him try to play crysis with and without a dedicated GPU. Fucking night and day. I hope he knows that the whole computer loses value, along with his car (and house, if possible)

Houses tend to be pretty stable, or even increase over time (at least in the UK). My parents house has more than doubled whilst they've owned it (actual value change will be less obviously due to inflation)

Having non-tech parents is an absolute disaster.

Fortunately, my dad is kinda tech savvy as he's electro-engineer and knows about hardware, and surprisingly much about Windows.. I mean, he can fix a virus infected PC by himself!

Some console gamers should just be left alone, they don't understand and they won't understand.

There're pros and cons though, because a tech savy parent will know that you claiming you need a $1000 PC for school work is BS :P

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

"To this day he thinks that nobody should ever buy graphics cards since they lose value over time"

Misread it! thank you good sir. Back to what you said before... you are right. 

Tell your dad to run onboard vs gtxxxx

There're pros and cons though, because a tech savy parent will know that you claiming you need a $1000 PC for school work is BS [emoji14]

Lol true

But they are not THAT tech savvy, and my mom wants me to get an expensive laptop for my study just to be sure it's a good one.

Lol true

But they are not THAT tech savvy, and my mom wants me to get an expensive laptop for my study just to be sure it's a good one.

Luckily for me my parents are very pro-equality between me and my brothers, so because my eldest brother got an obscenely expensive £1.6k mac book for Uni, I can get a beast laptop as well as a pair of headphones as well :D Also, because they don't understand tech I get to choose our internet provider, which means we get actual good internet instead of just always going with the same provider or w/e. (For example, in my area BT provides stunning speeds of up to 8mbps....whereas virgin media provide 70+ mbps, with an average of 90mbps...)

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

To log into to the computers and school assigned email is

Username: First.Last (Computer), First.Last@alamedaclc.org (email)

Password: Aclc1234

And besides the 4 digit numbers, all the user names and passwords are the same for every last person. Maybe you can change the digits if requested, but I doubt everything else though

THATS LITERALLY THE SAME AS MINE well the aclc isnt there... okay its close its

Username: first two letters of first name then last name

password: initials then birth year

... no emails. it might actually be worse. the general user is just the same word twice. ... i love schools and their BRILLIANT password scheme

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf. I know that there are things in this world that I do not know and that makes me wise!”

Spoiler

Use the following style specs for your profile!
Screeninator:  Asus GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB
Powermathingy: EVGA 500W
Stickaminator: Crucial 16GB 「4x4GB」DDR3-1600
Procrastinator: Intel i5-4460 3.2ghz
Holdametalicizor:  Corsair 200R 
Noisoundacreator:  Razer kracken pro
Attatchamajiggy :  Asrock H97 Anniversairy ATX LGA1150
Remembrerthing:  i've got a-lot of drives
Flat-Colorful-Thing:  LG not actually sure the model of it
See-A-Move-O: Razer Mamba 2012
ButtonBoard:  Razer Deathstalker 

terminology is pretty important in that matter. a gpu is a graphics processing unit, wich isn't necessarily a dedicated graphics CARD. integrated gpus are still gpus.

He was saying Graphics card. I just use GPU and graphics card interchangeably when I'm talking about gaming PCs because iGPUs have no place in Gaming PCs.

• AMD Athlon X4 760K CPU   |   MSI FM2+ ATX A88X-G45 Motherboard   |   8GB 1600MHz RAM   |   MSI GTX 760 GPU (Reference)
  • Thermaltake Versa H22 Case   |   1TB Seagate, 0.5TB Hitachi (7200RPM)   |   ArcticRed+ 700WStock    |   Windows 8.1

My monitor is connected via HDMI. Does that mean I can get rid of my graphics card and run games at 1080p? xD

• AMD Athlon X4 760K CPU   |   MSI FM2+ ATX A88X-G45 Motherboard   |   8GB 1600MHz RAM   |   MSI GTX 760 GPU (Reference)
  • Thermaltake Versa H22 Case   |   1TB Seagate, 0.5TB Hitachi (7200RPM)   |   ArcticRed+ 700WStock    |   Windows 8.1

Misread it! thank you good sir. Back to what you said before... you are right. 

Tell your dad to run onboard vs gtxxxx

GTX xxx never was so confusing

Computer's don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose.

Stick a loose HDMI cable into your TV, stick the other end into a potato.

Instant 1080p gaming.

I have a HD 6570, with a DVI cable I could not play GTA 5 at the full 1920x1080p resolution, I now plugged in a HDMI cable and it runs 1080p60fps at ultra!

Stick a loose HDMI cable into your TV, stick the other end into a potato.

Instant 1080p gaming.

I prefer my turnip, less latency!

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

My friend, asked me where he could find a "Free download" for the Titan X graphics that I said were so powerful....

"As Individuals we are weak like twigs but when we come together we become a mighty faggot"

My friend, asked me where he could find a "Free download" for the Titan X graphics that I said were so powerful....

I think its on this site http://downloadmoreghz.com/

they should have a graphics section. 

fun story dont waste your time trying to install a game to a read only disk. it will be in an endless launch and update loop upon launching. its fun to do to people and whatch them try to figure out why its not working. 

totally worth the 3 dollars i paid for the disk

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf. I know that there are things in this world that I do not know and that makes me wise!”

Spoiler

A school I use to go to had the administrator username and password as adminstrator

........ are they still running 

Spoiler

Why weren't they changeable!? I remember when we got our school accounts in elementary: not only did they ask us what password we wanted to start with, but we could change them at will and were encouraged to do so.

My school is the same way. All of our passwords are simple, and non changeable. All of our Google accounts also use the same password. An example of a password at my school is "006515" they just go up one number each time there is a new student.

`

A girl thought her laptop had issues connecting to wifi. Turns out, she had airplane mode on.

I occasionally get phone calls from my dad to fix software issues with his multitude of laptops, typically they're extremely minor, one time he had me remote connect so that I could figure out why his "Mozzarella Firefox" text was so small. He normally gets my older brother to handle those kinds of things, but he prefers me because I'll actually explain what I did.

My mum's no better. She had me teach her how the keyboard shortcuts for Copying and Pasting, and when I did she raved about how "brilliant" I was to the customer she was speaking to when I told her what they were. She also reduces the title of my degree to "Computer Stuff"

For school usernames, since that's the way discussion is at the moment. When I was in Secondary School, the usernames were structured by the year you started (in my case 98) then the following four numbers where determined by your position alphabetically across all the students within that year.

Back at uni, the usernames were simply your initials followed by a three digit number, two digits if you were staff.

I've never had a case where passwords where non-changeable, in fact mine had mandatory password changes typically at the start of an academic year in September.

Gary M. Gadsdon - Don't call me 'Gaz' or 'Gazman' please.

My Website: http://babysimpson.co.uk
My Youtube Channel: http://youtube.com/awwlilmaggie

But what I've taken from that is that age ratings should be considered by parents. Nearly everyone in my class when I was 11 played COD. They probably played it before that, but I'm not sure. Now, personally, parents should make sure they know what the game or film or other media is like before they let their child have it. My parents went as far as to proof-watch the latter Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings films (which were 12's and 15's) when I was 12-13 just to make sure. 

He really just wanted an excuse to watch them themselves.

God, I wish I had a girlfriend to annoy me with tech...

(Mobile, can't multiquote)

xD hopefully you will find someone soon