Experiences with non-techies

They are not obliged to give you anything more..  But I mean.. If you kid does well in school you could give you something in return?

I mean, it's kind of stiff to assume all parents act/should act the same..

by all means. Parents can give whatever they want. if my parents gave me thousands to blow on a PC that'd be great. 

its just a lot of people ASSUME their parents should give them everything. I feel it sets them up for failure and why we see so much entitlement nowadays. 

Basically people expect to much sometimes. that and if someone is buying something very expesnive for you, generally you should help them out what to pick out. like my dad got me a monitor has a birthday+christmas gift. monitors range from 80-800$. he has no idea besides pick the best rated one at the cash amount he wants to spend

McDonalds was my first job at 15, parents had to sign a permission slip saying I could work. Bought a old SUV and then a laptop. Used my neighbor's wifi for a year and a half because my dad wouldn't let me pay for internet at home. I still don't understand how a Wireless B (5.5Mpbs wireless signal, around 768Kbps-1Mbps throughput) signal traveled as far and gave me such a good connection.

Meanwhile today, all my siblings get consoles, phones, tablets, laptops and iPods handed to them. They have it so easy. *grumble*

/slightly older man rant of a 25 year old.

sorry for double post.

but I actually loved my job at mcdonalds. not actually working, but the freedom. I could spend that money how ever I wanted and not answer to anyone about it. I blew a bunch of money on my PC, dad got a tad mad, then I turned around sold it and made 300$ off of it. 

handed to me really was a I5+mobo. Lucked out because it was a gift for my older brother but he let it sit for a year. called microcenter, and they upgraded it a gen for free because it was unopened. I paid for the rest of the system though mowing lawns. I lucked out on internet though. 60mb down 10 up. this morning it upgraded 90 down out of no where. blown away.

for a high school grad gift I did get a car. that was the one big gift we get from our parents, as having 7 kids its hard to give them all stuff like computers/pay for college. thats most likely why I had to earn most of my money, but luckily I always had company/people to play with. 

the car though, its a mixed blessing. im 18 and picking up my license tomorrow. not being able to drive all of high school sucks. paying for insurance sucks. 

and something that blew me away was graduation gifts. got close to 1400$ in checks/cash. for someone used to getting 50$ a birthday/christmas overall, its kind of mind blowing. 

by all means. Parents can give whatever they want. if my parents gave me thousands to blow on a PC that'd be great. 

its just a lot of people ASSUME their parents should give them everything. I feel it sets them up for failure and why we see so much entitlement nowadays. 

Basically people expect to much sometimes. that and if someone is buying something very expesnive for you, generally you should help them out what to pick out. like my dad got me a monitor has a birthday+christmas gift. monitors range from 80-800$. he has no idea besides pick the best rated one at the cash amount he wants to spend

Well you know nothing about the boy in the story (just like me) maybe it was 3 birthdays of money + Christmas + some money he earned.

Or not. I don't know. 

But if a parent wants to give their child something (expensive) who are you to say they can't do that?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

But if a parent wants to give their child something (expensive) who are you to say they can't do that?

....are you not reading my posts that you are quoting or?

by all means. Parents can give whatever they want.

....are you not reading my posts that you are quoting or?

I am..

But at one time you are saying they can give whatever they want and the other time you say they shouldn't.

But this is going waaaay off topic, so I'm done with this discussion.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I am..

But at one time you are saying they can give whatever they want and the other time you say they shouldn't.

But this is going waaaay off topic, so I'm done with this discussion.

Never once said they shouldnt, just said they shouldnt be expected to.

doing something and being expected to do something are to radically different things-sorry for any confusion. 

I unfortunately know some idiot 15 year old script kiddie. He took a 4k selfie of himself with a camera he got at his school and said it was his laptop camera (it was OUTSIDE) and he said he copyrighted it under his first name (i dont want to say it) Johnson Productions 2015. I drew a bunch of MLG stuff on the picture and used it as my skype profile under the name Noscope Johnson. He said to take it down because I will get a copyright strike and he will DDOS me for a month straight. He said skype is working on banning me right now (right now as in 2 weeks ago) but 5 minutes after arguing says they are not at work and will work on it tomorrow. He says my job isn't real work and his "server work" is on his compaq slim line core 2 duo desktop. I ended up getting my skype account banned. I'll continue using his picture.

One stuck up bastard.

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

customer called up a few weeks ago and said "I dropped my wireless mouse on my motherboard while gaming and it turned off and won't turn back on". After asking a bunch of questions I found out that they dropped the mouse on the case of the computer it bounced and knocked the power cable lose xD

I had heard people refer to the whole PC as a Hard Drive or a CPU but never a motherboard until lthen

remember, there are people who think that phones erent computers, and desktop computeres erent computers, 

they think only laptops are computers. 

yeah. 

My former-friend decided to drop $3000 on an Alienware computer against the advice of 10 people. Note: "former friend".

currently have a friend im trying to swtich from having his cousins buy him a 3000 alienware over to the 2500$ digital storm, and use the 3000 he's been saving up to upgrade it. 

idk. 

I hate it when people in Twitch chats start to talk about how much better gaming headphones are than high end ones because they were designed for gaming (whatever that means in a peasants head).

Also, a 144Hz monitor is so much better for console gaming because a higher number is obviously better (+ those who buy that 1ms response time stuff because it makes ppl aim better... lol)

^dis^

because what aplication you're using the headphones for means they need to be designed differently, 

riiiight. 

idiots. >_> 

Shitty Twitch chat/Youtube comments include:

• Rampant Swearing
  • Non-sense that is just plain stupid
  • Some prick saying how they did your mom
  • Pushy dicks who insist they're a hacker/soldier and can find out where you live
  • Blatant anger and frustration over practically nothing
  • Misspelling and lazy typing

dont forget this;

-pistol slamfire didnt have her webcam on-

them: is it a boy or a girl?

you: does it matter?

them: stop being so butthurt, all i wanted to know if if the streamer was a boy or a girl. calm the fuck down. 

you: jheesh, all i did was ask why it mattered to you...

them: shut up you butthurt prick, you're probably a fucking 12 year old troll trying to make me mad well guess what im not even mad. 

you: please leave me alone. 

them: see?! you're only proving yourself to be butthurt and stupid. stop insulting me. 

-they get banned-

you: righteous.

this is what happened to me the other day. 

i have a horrible habbit of assuming everyone i talk to is a logical and respectable person. 

sadly humans tend to be idiotic. 

:/

I dont know if you are being sarcastic or not (like " a 144Hz monitor is SO much better..."), but a console cant even push anything more than 24fps, cause the human eye cant see it.

About the 1ms response time, it does matter to competitive gamers, cause every millisecond matters. Its the difference between playing with 5ms ping or 10ms ping. However it does not make people "aim better".

also, keep this in mind: some monitors have pixels that respond at 1ms but the total monitor response time is like 8ms, while there are some monitors that advertise a total monitor response time of 5ms and its actaully about 2 or 3 ms due to better scenarios. 

yee. 

i dont care about response times, because im not competitive, 

the most copetitive thing i do gaming wise is fucking around in no more room in hell. 

serisouly. even my warframe playtime is less serisous. 

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

currently have a friend im trying to swtich from having his cousins buy him a 3000 alienware over to the 2500$ digital storm, and use the 3000 he's been saving up to upgrade it. 

idk.

DIGETAHL STERM FER THZE WEIN!

EDIT: The laptop "Harker" has a 4790K... dayum

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

Since it's hot as hell here this week, we wanted to get some of those USB-powered fans to cool ourselves off.

The same was valid last summer (I wasn't working here at that point, so this is more of a story I've heard from others, rather than a personal experience), but

USB fans cause viruses on the computers (even though all the USB ports that aren't dedicated for keyboard/mouse only provide power and have no data connection) - our "beloved" IT department.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Since it's hot as hell here this week, we wanted to get some of those USB-powered fans to cool ourselves off.

The same was valid last summer (I wasn't working here at that point, so this is more of a story I've heard from others, rather than a personal experience), but

USB fans cause viruses on the computers (even though all the USB ports that aren't dedicated for keyboard/mouse only provide power and have no data connection) - our "beloved" IT department.

Plug them into the cheapo phone chargers then...

like this one:

5V-1A-home-wall-USB-charger.jpg

Well the IT dept isn't too far off the mark...

Malicious manufacturers could put in a BadUSB attack through the fan...

~snip~

Again, All the USBs we have exposed ONLY supply power (except for the two used by kb/mouse). How exactly do you distribute viruses over power cables? :P

Also, we don't have outlets available. Feckers only installed 3 for each desk (2x monitors and 1x PC). Fortunately the AC wasn't actually broken, just the maintenance guy forgetting to turn it back on. Sweet 23C, how i've missed you! (35-ish outside right now. We die every single time we go outside for a smoke)

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Again, All the USBs we have exposed ONLY supply power (except for the two used by kb/mouse). How exactly do you distribute viruses over power cables? :P

Also, we don't have outlets available. Feckers only installed 3 for each desk (2x monitors and 1x PC). Fortunately the AC wasn't actually broken, just the maintenance guy forgetting to turn it back on. Sweet 23C, how i've missed you! (35-ish outside right now. We die every single time we go outside for a smoke)

*claps*

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

post-158440-0-40633200-1436291762_thumb.

Both ways on airplane, to and from Washington D.C. from Washington state.

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

-snip-

Both ways on airplane, to and from Washington D.C. from Washington state.

MY 

EYES

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

Just wondering if my school is just stupid or is this generation doomed:

Do the kids at your high school call the tower a "hard drive" and not know what a flash drive is? Do they buy iphones on purpose without a reason to not get an android? [yeah, yeah,ease of use] [mine was a gift]. Do they then go around and brag about how much they know about technology?

Because this is just the tip of the iceberg for the stupidity that lurks in my school.

Happy to help with any tech problems. Windows 10 installing guide here.
----i5 4570s----gigabyte z97x-sli----8gb ddr3----gigabyte g1 gaming 960----HAF 912----120gb ssd----1tb hdd----500w evga----

Just wondering if my school is just stupid or is this generation doomed:

Do the kids at your high school call the tower a "hard drive" and not know what a flash drive is? Do they buy iphones on purpose without a reason to not get an android? [yeah, yeah,ease of use] [mine was a gift]. Do they then go around and brag about how much they know about technology?

Because this is just the tip of the iceberg for the stupidity that lurks in my school.

I've gotten "PC box" before.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Shitty Twitch chat/Youtube comments include:

• Rampant Swearing
  • Non-sense that is just plain stupid
  • Some prick saying how they did your mom
  • Pushy dicks who insist they're a hacker/soldier and can find out where you live
  • Blatant anger and frustration over practically nothing
  • Misspelling and lazy typing

Twitch = 4chan raids

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

MY

EYES

Two pairs, just like that. Boom, boom. I almost died. Everybody was an apple sheep. Liked apple, but for NO REASON. I showed them Cortana. They didn't like. Why? It's not Siri. caught them complaining about how Siri sucks the very next day.

Today on Today on Yahoo Answers

yahoo.png

YAHOO ANSWERS IS BACK!!!!!!!! I think you owe us a couple more for all the days you missed.

YAHOO ANSWERS IS BACK!!!!!!!! I think you owe us a couple more for all the days you missed.

I've looked through and there isn't too much of interest today :P

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

snip

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

I see quite a lot of posts about how people call things they're not, or not being specific. Like calling a PC a "Hard Drive"

You must forgive them, as long as it's just calling them by their wrong name but acting like someone who knows what they're doing it's alright.

It's the same bullshit like how people call these things nowadays:

2-4GHz-4CH-RC-Mini-Quadcopter.jpg

People call them "Drones" whilst that's like saying "Hey, my PC is equal to your gaming PC because it's also a PC"

This thing is called a Quacopter, and if you want to be more specific it's a Radio Controlled Helicopter (quadcopter) or RC Quadcopter.

I hate how anything that flies is called a "drone" nowadays.

This is a drone 

predator-firing-missile4.jpg

So many things I could write here... things like this.

I see quite a lot of posts about how people call things they're not, or not being specific. Like calling a PC a "Hard Drive"

You must forgive them, as long as it's just calling them by their wrong name but acting like someone who knows what they're doing it's alright.

It's the same bullshit like how people call these things nowadays:

2-4GHz-4CH-RC-Mini-Quadcopter.jpg

People call them "Drones" whilst that's like saying "Hey, my PC is equal to your gaming PC because it's also a PC"

This thing is called a Quacopter, and if you want to be more specific it's a Radio Controlled Helicopter (quadcopter) or RC Quadcopter.

I hate how anything that flies is called a "drone" nowadays.

This is a drone 

predator-firing-missile4.jpg

A quadcopter is considered a drone when it is able to fly autonomously, like the DJI Phantom 2. You can set waypoints and have it fly by itself.

You are on a need to know basis, and you don't need to know.