Experiences with non-techies

So a Friend of mine who's still trying to be better at me at tech(he's failing at that dept. miserably) just said this

"I just pre-ordered an Intel i9 Extreme Edition it beats your Extreme edition i7"

And I was like

BRkj4jM_700wa_0.gif

you know the reason i -really- got inot computers was so i could avoid shit like that cause i was a lying little attention whore.

now i tell my family i made my own custom i9 8756x and how i had like some windows 9-alpha thing and shit, and when they call over the semi-tech savvy people from geeksquad i smile, laugh violently and nod life crazy when we high five at my mom relaying that shit back to them. x'D 

its great. x'D 

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

now i tell my family i made my own custom i9 8756x and how i had like some windows 9-alpha thing and shit, and when they call over the semi-tech savvy people from geeksquad i smile, laugh violently and nod life crazy when we high five at my mom relaying that shit back to them. x'D 

its great. x'D 

I used to do that at work to test customers computer knowledge (or if they were dicks) just make up a ton of shit and see if they notice

most of them didn't

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I used to do that at work to test customers computer knowledge (or if they were dicks) just make up a ton of shit and see if they notice

most of them didn't

whts really fun is when they silently aknowllege it, but play along. 

xD WOOOO

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

whts really fun is when they silently aknowllege it, but play along. 

xD WOOOO

Oh yeah, they always agreed, I would have to keep a completely straight face... while everyone who heard the conversation were behind giggling

Or the customer would talk bollocks and make something up to sound clever, I would agree with them and they would be like "oh wow I got it right" and then I would just be like "no I was just jokingly agreeing with you"

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

snip  "no I was just jokingly agreeing with you"

just like this lol

post-186674-0-52926600-1428911646.jpg

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

just like this lol

exactly!!

It genuinely helped make them listen to my advice though when they know for sure that I know more than them

however you would get customers that were like "this computer only has 8gb of ram, my last one had 500gb of ram" ... and I would have to spend about 48 year explaining the difference between memory and storage.. and then they would go to the manager and complain "excuse me this colleague was lying about this computer" ... my manager would be like "tell me what happened".. then he would laugh at them and tell them to either listen to me, or fuck off out the shop

-snip-

LINK!LINK!LINK! We want the LINK!

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

So a few weeks ago, I was working on building a Linux Server/cleaning my computer. My grandma peeks in the office and asks, "Are you working on you're hard drive?" My mom also called my computer a CPU. Normal non-techie stuff. Lucky me, my dad is a techie, so its not horrible.

Pentium G3258, R9 280X, Corsair CS600M, Gigabyte GA-H81M-H, 2 Random monitors, a no-name keyboard, a cheap $15 Logitech mouse.

LG G3 Vigor

Mine too, but he admits that I know more than him.

My mom called my desktop a "CPU box."

She has a long way to go....

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

My mom complains about my "power hungry" PC. It has an i3 4360 and no GPU - at idle using maybe 30 Watts. Under load, around 50.

Her iMac with a continuous PSU uses a steady 300W....

Yep, I'm still the problem. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

My mom complains about my "power hungry" PC. It has an i3 4360 and no GPU - at idle using maybe 30 Watts. Under load, around 50.

i have the EXACT same issue!

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

Uv course. Dats how it works with parents.

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

Lucky bastard...

I know, it's nice!

Pentium G3258, R9 280X, Corsair CS600M, Gigabyte GA-H81M-H, 2 Random monitors, a no-name keyboard, a cheap $15 Logitech mouse.

LG G3 Vigor

She also turns the multi-socket extension switch thing off whenever she sees my monitor asleep because it consumes SO MUCH POWER. It uses 0.5 Watts at sleep. That would increase our power bill by less than half a penny per year if I were to leave it asleep rather than off.... The time I save by not switching the extension thing on alone is worth more than that.

Uv course. Dats how it works with parents.

Of course. And my computer is crappy because it's "a PC" and her iMac "Never has problems."

It has a dying hard drive.

Faulty PSU from the box.

Completely crashes when loading Launchpad....

Of course it's better.

She also turns the multi-socket extension switch thing off whenever she sees my monitor asleep because it consumes SO MUCH POWER. It uses 0.5 Watts at sleep. That would increase our power bill by less than half a penny per year if I were to leave it asleep rather than off.... The time I save by not switching the extension thing on alone is worth more than that.

yup, and just because my PC makes more noise than the imac, it means that i consumes more power. :D at least my parents don't mess with my PC, but i still got lectured about it.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

yup, and just because my PC makes more noise than the imac, it means that i consumes more power. :D at least my parents don't mess with my PC, but i still got lectured about it.

I always wonder why I see nothing on the screen when I wake the PC or boot it. No wonder - my mom turned the extension off! 

If you look at it from a dumb man's view, a PC case is technically a box that houses your CPU... and all the other stuff that make a computer go vroom.

My computer uses an Arctic Freezer 7 and a single Noctua fan as well as an SSD. Not a lot of vroom is made xD

My computer uses an Arctic Freezer 7 and a single Noctua fan as well as an SSD. Not a lot of vroom is made xD

i have a freezer 11lp and 2 NZXT FN V2 ans running at 7v, but my G3258 is OCed to 4.4Ghz @1.25v, so the cpu fan will ramp up to 2500RPM under full load.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

Sometimes I wish I never let my family get an iMac.  I'm the only one with my own PC, probably because I'm the only one who can use one.  But, my whole family (except me) can't click a start button because they need to look for the dock, they think Macs are super efficient and my PC is a power-hungry bastard.  Sometimes we have arguments because my brother says Windows releases updates to ruin windows so you will pay more money.  

WTF?  Its all my fault.  I let them buy it, I recommended it.  Now they are all mindless non-techies.  Thanks to me.  

If you look at it from a dumb man's view, a PC case is technically a box that houses your CPU... and all the other stuff that make a computer go vroom.

Nope, to a dumb man the PC case is the PC.  

My mom walked into a computer store to get a computer.  She asked for a box, they gave her a $100 case.  She walked out, came home.  I opened it to find a cooler master case.

Feel my pain... 

My family never puts DVDs in thier computer, when it spins and makes noise they freak out and think the computer is dying.  

post-42942-0-92732700-1429118724.gif  <-- My family when a DVD is spinning... 

My GPU fan is always on, 100% and I'm not shure what my mobo is doing with my fans, so my computer is always loud.

Edit:

i have a freezer 11lp and 2 NZXT FN V2 ans running at 7v, but my G3258 is OCed to 4.4Ghz @1.25v, so the cpu fan will ramp up to 2500RPM under full load.

I haven't OC'd my G3258(H81, Intel, come on!), but I hear it OC's very well.

LG G3 Vigor