Experiences with non-techies

80Mb is fine for a home network with only a few devices using the internet. A school will need  way more than that if more than a few teachers can watch youtube at once.

My school connection is way slower than that. On a good day it will be 5Mb/s.

Well with my experience with speedtest, it tells you what you currently could get if you were to download something or whatever. I did the speedtest I did was mid day.

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

80Mb is fine for a home network with only a few devices using the internet. A school will need  way more than that if more than a few teachers can watch youtube at once.

My school connection is way slower than that. On a good day it will be 5Mb/s.

My school only has 30Mb/s :(

Whilst at college I had an issue with the wireless card in the netbook i was using and due to it being school equipment I had to go through he schools IT helpdesk.

They had a trainee on and I quote he said "it looks like there's an error, we will need to replace the laptop and overclock the wireless for maximum gigaspeeds", the hardest part was trying not to laugh in his face  :P

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

My school has 30/66... lol

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Would this even work? Idk really

aB3PX4P_700b.jpg

edit: Oh wait it won't I think. Since they'd need different drivers to communicate with each other.

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

-snip-

edit: Oh wait it won't I think. Since they'd need different drivers to communicate with each other.

OH MY, IT'S A USB VIDEO CARD!!!

/s

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

-snip-

It might work. That looks like a printer port on the computer which adapts to... something (I can't tell what the first adapter goes to) to serial to ps2 to usb. All of which are driverless conversions (of the ones I can identify anyway). That said, whether or not they all carry enough power to run a flash drive is a different question entirely.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

It might work. That looks like a printer port on the computer which adapts to... something (I can't tell what the first adapter goes to) to serial to ps2 to usb. All of which are driverless conversions (of the ones I can identify anyway). That said, whether or not they all carry enough power to run a flash drive is a different question entirely.

Fairly certain having enough power to run it would factor into the "Will this work?" question, so really, probably not. :P

CPU: Intel i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core   Mobo: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150   Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series(2x4GB) DDR3-1600   GPU: Asus Strix OC GTX 970   HDD: WD Black 2TB - 7200RPM   SDD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB   PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze - SemiMod   Case: NZXT S340 (Black)

PCPartPicker: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/PortedOasis/saved/fhdG3C

Well with my experience with speedtest, it tells you what you currently could get if you were to download something or whatever. I did the speedtest I did was mid day.

Ahh. I see what you mean. My bro did a test when there was nobody there (before school started) and he got 60Mb/s.

-snip-

Ah yes, I know this picture. Fun fact: the USB drive is plugged into a PS2 converter, so it would be way less of a hassle to plug the PS2 converter in the actual PS2 port, wouldn't it? :D Still don't know if it would work.

Remembered another story: my mother was constantly complaining about her Galaxy Tab 10.1 (1st generation) being slow after my dad had played some Angry Birds, or when I looked something up on the internet. Thing is, that thing is ancient by now and she wouldn't understand that everything with old hardware gets slower when numerous updates are installed...

She got a new tabled recently, though. (finally :))

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

Ah yes, I know this picture. Fun fact: the USB drive is plugged into a PS2 converter, so it would be way less of a hassle to plug the PS2 converter in the actual PS2 port, wouldn't it? :D Still don't know if it would work.

Remembered another story: my mother was constantly complaining about her Galaxy Tab 10.1 (1st generation) being slow after my dad had played some Angry Birds, or when I looked something up on the internet. Thing is, that thing is ancient by now and she wouldn't understand that everything with old hardware gets slower when numerous updates are installed...

She got a new tabled recently, though. (finally :))

A factory reset tends to help with slowness until you start having too many apps running in the background again. A quick fix is to hard reboot the tablet but that doesn't last as long as a factory reset.

A factory reset tends to help with slowness until you start having too many apps running in the background again. A quick fix is to hard reboot the tablet but that doesn't last as long as a factory reset.

Oh believe me, it was being rebooted multiple times a day because it would just hang when it wanted to. A factory reset has never been done, because it was too much of an inconvenience to transfer all the files etc.

So my mother complained, but didn't want anything to be done about it.

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

My mum used to work as an accountant in a garage. Her boss paid someone to come in and install remote desktop software on her work computer (obviously hadn't heard of TeamViewer). My mum couldn't logon from her home PC, after a bit of trouble shooting I asked her if she left the work PC on. She hadn't... she didn't realise the other PC would need to be on to remote desktop into it.

i bought a pc second hand from cex yesterday (or so) (in the uk CEX is a store that buys and sells phones/games/pc parts/dvd's/music etc you get the idea)

written as a "hp core2duo 1055t 3.06ghz/4gb/1tb/gt220/linux"....there is no core2duo at 3.06ghz and i prayed! that it was a phenom x6 1055t as they sell that for £75 on its own, the whole pc cost me £145 (was £280 there a year ago...) i only wanted the cpu.

sure enough it turns out it is a phenom 1055t!!  :D with the stock-high-end copper based heatpipe cooler

so i got an "icute" zl02-3g-bb case made out of metal so thin you can read through it432147619_big.jpg

a "sweex" 350w power supply with a single 6 pin and 2 sata with a 11amp and 12amp rail respectively.

a 1tb seagate hard drive (not too shabby)

2x2gb of "zeppelin" ddr3 1333 thats yellow! ZE-DDR3-4G1333-KIT.jpg

and the motherboard is a POS asrock m3a ucc which doesnt even have vga out (and this had a phenom x6 in it?)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=zeppelin+2gb+ddr3&es_sm=122&biw=960&bih=454&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=o2oVVZr2F8-XasiZgKAC&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#tbm=isch&q=asrock+m3a+ucc&imgdii=_

excluding the cpu these other parts cost me £70...

then bought a zotac gtx460 1gb for £38....which turned out to be an SE :angry: 

so not bad for under £200, im switching the cpu for an athlonII x2 250 and the hard drive for a 640GB i have and selling it as a basic pc and will likely make a small profit (and someones going to get a steal!)

the phenom x6, gtx460SE will likely be put into a new pc made from the money from the sale of that^ with 8gb of ram, a 500w corsair psu, 1tb seagate and msi krait board  :P 

not a "experience with non-techies" sorry, but proof that hp's have thier uses  :lol: maybe a LTT scrapyard wars UK contender.

edit-swapped the gtx460se for the guys qx9650 +£10, bought a r9-270 DCU2 today.

Honestly dude, Sometimes HP brings good luck and sometimes bad.  But its like anything bad, the general rule is not to even try because the risk is to high of getting a faulty component or computer, or just getting a crappy experience.  But, me saying HP sucks isn't saying "THEY ARE SO BAD, STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS" Its me saying, "HP doesn't make great computers, esspecially low end and because more often than not they do very much suck or break early its a good option to stay away if you can" 

I have an HP Stream for damn sake.  And I got because the specs were decent for the money, but I was severely risking a bad dud. 

How's the stream doing? I'm thinking of getting one by Christmas (if all goes well and the money to do so is raised)...

Its going pretty well.  

Not good if you want to do anything with visual studio, because its so damn big.  The HP stream's SSD is pretty small.  BUT it does really well, I've used it for school and everything and its performed very well, boots up fast and wakes up fast which is good when your in history class and your teacher throws a whole bunch of info down your throat without you even having a chance to get out your laptop.  

It would also be good for some administration too.  I would imagine you could upgrade the Windows to pro and get some PowerShell and other administrative tools going and it would work fine.  

It has an SD card slot, you can use an SD card to put games on or applications but they will load slow.  So I advise only pictures, photos and music etc.  

The latest for me, is my mother calling me to ask why her computer mouse doesn't work (while shouting that it's a piece of crap and what not), when I get there, I find she managed to plug the USB mouse in the Ethernet port of her laptop.. Couldn't help facepalming in front of her.

the other day I was at a hotel with my mother and she forgot her usb power adpter so she just plugged the usb in an ethernet port. Facepalm :rolleyes:

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

I have a friend which is addicted to minecraft and any time she disconnects or her wifi signal goes low she says she got hacked and goes histerical.

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

I have a friend which is addicted to minecraft and any time she disconnects or her wifi signal goes low she says she got hacked and goes histerical.

s8k5gwvy8e3qkfnqbr5v.jpg

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

Mine goes from dial up (800kb) to 3mb/s

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

Mine goes from dial up (800kb) to 3mb/s

Dial up was 56kb...

Dial up was 56kb...

I meant where it would be as slow as dial up or seem like that, as you have everyone who sneaks there phones into class which is like 100 people. They need to just make a MUCH stronger router.

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

Ping time to titanfall server: 260 seconds. I complained. Dad: "it's fine, no way I'm paying like $300 to switch internet services"

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

Ping time to titanfall server: 260 seconds. I complained. Dad: "it's fine, no way I'm paying like $300 to switch internet services"

260 SECONDS? Usually ping times out after 1 second. Are you sure you didn't mean milliseconds? Either way that sucks, but still.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

Holy crap man, makes me glad we have fast internet  :wacko:

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

What in the actual fuck is that woman doing with that power supply.

YOLO right?

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold