Experiences with non-techies

I really should stop posting these things :)

aE1Wvxe_460s_v1.jpg

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

lAcPH.jpg

Just go to Yahoo (Computers & Internet), you'll see bunch of these stuff :3

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

How? Without reinstalling, live DVD or Linux?

I've tried using Hiren's BootCD. Pretty evil.

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

I've tried using Hiren's BootCD. Pretty evil.

Live CD is still harder than it is on Mac.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Live CD is still harder than it is on Mac.

I mean on windows, this Hiren's BootCD ain't joke. You can change someone's password with it.

PC Specs

Indonesia

Australia 

I mean on windows, this Hiren's BootCD ain't joke. You can get someone's password with it.

My point was that if I have to use a live CD to reset a password on Windows, it's harder than it is on Mac OS where such utilities are built right into the OS and can be accessed without logging in.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

My point was that if I have to use a live CD to reset a password on Windows, it's harder than it is on Mac OS where such utilities are built right into the OS and can be accessed without logging in.

Hmm, you might be right.

PC Specs

Indonesia

Australia 

I really should stop posting these things :)

God damn. Am I wrong to think that could damage the usb?

How? Without reinstalling, live DVD or Linux?

It's on some boot CDs. I think hirens boot camp has it

Edit: I left the page when I went for lunch and didn't see that Dimas posted the same thing ages ago.

ISIS Wallet? I see why they changed their name...

I just noticed this on a vending machine in my town... a little "ISIS" logo.  Guess the change hasn't trickled down yet haha

God damn. Am I wrong to think that could damage the usb?

Probably not, it's just 5 volts, if a little more current. The drive should only use the current it needs eg 0.5amps of the 1 amp offered by the charger. Most USB ports on computers now have more that the standard 0.5amps that is the standard and it hasn't caused damage I don't think so anyway. Just like how having a 1000watt PSU and only using 300watts of it doesn't damage the components.

About this time last year I had a friend want to build a pc and asked me for advice. I created a list for him with the approximate budget and he said it would probably be a while until he could do it. So after a while I just assumed that he probably wasn't going to build his own pc for whatever reason and I haven't talked to him in a while. Then today he tells me that he order the parts, so of course I ask him the specs somewhat surprised (Since I made the list a year ago I wondered if he was using that same outdated list). He said he made his own new list with a "i5 3.5ghz" and a 750 ti.... I ask specifically what processor but all he knows is i5 3.5ghz, which narrows it down to a 4690. He doesn't appear to know much about what he's doing so I have a bad feeling I'm going to have to fix up any mistakes he makes...

Probably not, it's just 5 volts, if a little more current. The drive should only use the current it needs eg 0.5amps of the 1 amp offered by the charger. Most USB ports on computers now have more that the standard 0.5amps that is the standard and it hasn't caused damage I don't think so anyway

I would try it but I don't have any flash drive anymore. Been to long since I used a flash drive. Cloud storage replaced it  in my life.

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

I would try it but I don't have any flash drive anymore. Been to long since I used a flash drive. Cloud storage replaced it  in my life.

Terrible upload on my internet and devices that need DVDs to install OS's mean that I still use both flash drives and DVDs. Only things I have on cloud storage are things I want to have at school as well as home and any docs I'm using Google docs to collaborate on.

Terrible upload on my internet and devices that need DVDs to install OS's mean that I still use both flash drives and DVDs. Only things I have on cloud storage are things I want to have at school as well as home and any docs I'm using Google docs to collaborate on.

Same here, though I don't really use my flash drives much. In the last year or so when Linus' case reviews and system builds have included the "we don't need those 5.25" bays - who uses DVD drive anymore?" line I've just been sitting here thinking about those games I have on disc and all the music I buy in CD form.

It's like the VGA thing, though I only use that on my second monitor as it doesn't have any other inputs (there is a space for DVI but no connector for it)

Same here, though I don't really use my flash drives much. In the last year or so when Linus' case reviews and system builds have included the "we don't need those 5.25" bays - who uses DVD drive anymore?" line I've just been sitting here thinking about those games I have on disc and all the music I buy in CD form.

It's like the VGA thing, though I only use that on my second monitor as it doesn't have any other inputs (there is a space for DVI but no connector for it)

I still use a dvd/cd to install mah OS

:) I love the nostalgic feeling. :)

Don't mind me

Sitting in digital design HS class. This guy said the school gets 10GB down. Another said he gets 5GB up/down at his house. Those are both hella false. Just speedtest.net'ed the schools network. 80Mb up/down with 76 ping...

Help me

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Sitting in digital design HS class. This guy said the school gets 10GB down. Another said he gets 5GB up/down at his house. Those are both hella false. Just speedtest.net'ed the schools network. 80Mb up/down with 76 ping...

Help me

Why's that ping so high? I'm in a pretty bad place for internet (30+ year-old wiring to a decrepit street cabinet and then couple-mile copper run to the exchange) hence my ~0.8meg speed, but my ping's around 35-40. 

Why's that ping so high? I'm in a pretty bad place for internet (30+ year-old wiring to a decrepit street cabinet and then couple-mile copper run to the exchange) hence my ~0.8meg speed, but my ping's around 35-40. 

Ping relies mostly on what voluntary server you test it on. my ping is just around 50ms for a server that's 500km away

its probably because there's ~1750 devices connected to the internet right now

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Is that a freaking lightbulb in the PSU? (is it even a PSU?)

It is a lighbulb. they probably got a cheap PSU and used the lightbulb to fill up space...

It's useful. But sometimes flash drives are still good when the computer you're trying to get data from/to isn't your own. There's also bootable media.

About this time last year I had a friend want to build a pc and asked me for advice. I created a list for him with the approximate budget and he said it would probably be a while until he could do it. So after a while I just assumed that he probably wasn't going to build his own pc for whatever reason and I haven't talked to him in a while. Then today he tells me that he order the parts, so of course I ask him the specs somewhat surprised (Since I made the list a year ago I wondered if he was using that same outdated list). He said he made his own new list with a "i5 3.5ghz" and a 750 ti.... I ask specifically what processor but all he knows is i5 3.5ghz, which narrows it down to a 4690. He doesn't appear to know much about what he's doing so I have a bad feeling I'm going to have to fix up any mistakes he makes...

Or.. You know.. Refuse? :P

It's useful. But sometimes flash drives are still good when the computer you're trying to get data from/to isn't your own. There's also bootable media.

I have too many Flash drives devoted to bootable media...

I now have a lot less than I used due to me finding a thing that can install multiple bootable OSs on one drive...

Help me

80Mb is fine for a home network with only a few devices using the internet. A school will need  way more than that if more than a few teachers can watch youtube at once.

My school connection is way slower than that. On a good day it will be 5Mb/s.